ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study for Those Who Don't Think ND Had Open Receivers Against Louisville

There is football and then there's football. I really appreciate the time you take to review game film.
Can book see the open receivers in that 2-3 second window or is he just looking through 6'5" linemen?
Sounds like he has a problem looking at more than just his primary receiver.
They have a couple of extra practices to work him out and get more into his progressions.
So, I am saying he will improve his passing game and the 2nd and 3rd quarters against New Mexico will be a good time to work it out.
A lot of it was pre snap reads IMO. Short yardage we ran into their overload a few times. He missed at least 2 busted coverages he should have seen pre snap. 1 was blatantly obvious. He just wants nothing to do with the field side it seems.

I think some poor pre snap reads led to post snap panic.

It was a the opinion of some during the game that Book didn't have open receivers to pass to the majority of the night (but especially in the first half) against Louisville. I decided to do a film study, where those of you who think I'm just an overly critical, blind hater of Book can see exactly what I saw in the game. Admittedly, I don't really watch the game much anymore as a fan, but I understand that most people do... So I'll point some things out for the people who think I'm full of shit, or who simply watch the game as a fan and follow the ball. This isn't an attempt to be critical of Ian, but rather, to dispel the myth that ND didn't have a plethora of receivers open on Monday night. These aren't all of the examples, but some of the glaring ones that I thought would make for a good film study. If you're interested in learning a little bit more about the nuances of the passing game, give it a read and watch the film I've linked below at the times I have specified.

6:02... Louisville sends the blitz off the edge. Ian's hot read is immediately to look for Claypool into the boundary, but look at both Brock Wright and the slot receiver to the field (right side). The middle linebacker steps up thinking he's getting run and both ND receivers are downfield without a player within 15 yards of them. They were the closest player to one another without question and the simplest pass was an easy touchdown with a one serving as the pass catcher and the other serving as a downfield blocker post catch. Book takes the sack.

8:45... ND runs the RPO, with Claypool running the slant. He makes a hell of a catch on a ball thrown behind him, but the act of the catch takes him to the ground. If the ball is placed on him, he has the chance to make the safety miss (or run through him) and the corner is completely out of the play. That 2 feet can be the difference between the first down (which was achieved) and a chance at a touchdown if Claypool runs through the arm tackle of the safety and takes it the house.

9:16... It's 4th down and ND runs a rub route crossing concept and both Finke and Claypool are wide open for first downs. I would have actually thrown to Claypool on this route as he's the bigger, more physical receiver and he simply has to turn up field and fall down and the drive continues. He's even more open than Finke. Ian instead throws a ball low and out in front of Finke, taking him to the ground and forcing him to come up short of the 1st down. I don't have a problem with the read, Finke was wide open, the throw was simply poorly executed. Claypool was wide open as well though for an easy first down. Hell, Brock Wright is sitting in the middle of the Louisville zone wide open too. Ian easily could just drill the ball into his big tight end for a first down.

11:39... This is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm critical of Book vacating a clean pocket, for absolutely no reason. Freeze the frame at 11:42. Not only is Brock Wright screaming down the middle of the field wide open with a touch pass over the linebacker that is stepping up to take Claypool on the crossing route, the wide receiver at the top of the screen (I think it's Finke) comes wide open for an easy first down if Book has his head up and is looking to make a pass. Instead, he wants to vacate a perfectly clean pocket to run, with 2 wide open receivers directly in what would have been his field of vision had he just been looking up... He scrambles and is taken down for a short gain, causing another punt. When Rees said he wants Ian to come off his first receiver and finish his progression, this is a prime example of why. He has guys wide open on a key third down.

20:57... There is actually nothing wrong with what Book does here. Louisville was playing zone and both Claypool and Tremble sit down as they're taught, well beyond the sticks and present big targets for Book to let it rip. Ian makes a confident, decisive, throw and picks up an easy first down. The reason I included this highlight is that the premise of my post surrounds the idea that ND had receivers open early and often. Often, multiple receivers on a single play. Claypool and Tremble were both WIDE OPEN here, dispelling, yet again, the idea that ND doesn't have the speed or playmakers to get open. Book had his choice here and made one of two great decisions. The point is that he had options.

21:06... This has the chance to be a huge play and winds up being a great catch by Lawrence Keys, but Book's lack of accuracy, much like on the Finke and Claypool plays earlier, cost Notre Dame. Tremble does a great job of clearing out the slot defender on the seem route as Keys breaks underneath him on the slant route. It's a timing throw. If that ball is thrown in front of him, in stride, there is a significant possibility he runs right up the seem for 6. One guy had a chance for a tackle coming across the field and it would have been really hard to bring Keys down at that angle. Instead the play counts as a completion, but is the difference 12-15 yard gain and a potential touchdown. Long complained about the lack of plays for big yardage last year. "Explosives" as they've come to be known. Kelly talked about not all explosives needing to come via the deep ball, but that hitting receivers in stride in the pressure points of the opposition defense can also lead to game changing plays. This is a prime example of what he was talking about. This play, if executed better, almost assuredly scores, or at the very least goes for enormous yardage.

21:18... Book scrambles for a nice first down here on third and 4, but it was never necessary. At the snap he immediately looks for Chase Claypool running the dig route in the boundary. He has a clean pocket and has plenty of time to continue his progression. To the field, Tony Jones flares out of the backfield, causing Chris Finke's corner to come racing up to take away the running back. There isn't a player within 5 yards of Finke who is sitting on the hash, beyond the sticks, waiting for an easy pitch and catch. Book instead looks for a lane to scramble and does a nice job of picking up the first down, but had he simply turned his head to the field, he could have drilled Finke, who may have had a bunch of room for YAC down the sideline after the catch. He couldn't have been more wide open.

Your “clock times” are wrong.

Use the quarter and game clock times.

As to your first analysis (6:02), (game clock 2:16) you’re dead wrong.

The blitzing lineman is unopposed and in his face within 2 seconds.

Book comes off his read to the left within 2 seconds of the snap and when he looks to the right to those receivers the defender is already in his face.

And 34 totally misses the blitzer.
Had he picked him up Book hits the open receiver.

Your analysis and criticism are deeply flawed.

As to your next play, (8:45) your time, second quarter 12:44.
Book gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds.
The pass is slightly behind the receiver.
If thrown on the numbers the second defender levels the receiver after the catch.
You’re living in a fantasy world if you think Claypool miraculously escapes both defenders.

As to your third evaluation (9:16) your time, second quarter (10:28) game clock, I agree that the throw is low, and that Claypool was open going in the opposite direction, but if the throw was higher Finke gets the first down. And an open Finke May have been his primary receiver.

Your demand for perfection is unreasonable!

As to your (11:39) play, game clock second quarter (3:40),
2 second quarter, after the snap the pocket is shrinking with four defenders closing in on him, two in front of him and one on each side of him.

The open receivers are crossing and running parallel at 1 and 2 yards beyond the LOS.

Could he have dumped it off ?
I think so, but I’m not sure that the play would have gained significant yardage.

20:57 i’ll accept your analysis.

Your play (21:06), game clock 4th quarter (11:19)
Book releases the ball in 2 seconds and hits keys for a first down and your complaining that he was off the perfect mark by one foot.
I know that you know what catch radius means and that was a good throw, unfortunately you want a perfect throw.

As to your 21:18 play, my tape cut out prior to that time as 3 hours had expired.

How about all of the good to great throws that book made, including dropped passes and pass completions blown dead ?

You think that Book had great protection and I think his protection was mediocre at best, so we disagree on that point.

What I liked about book was his release time, however, I’d like to see the OLine give him 4 seconds in the pocket. With that time I think Book’s production would soar.

Let’s see what New Mexico looks like.

Georgia will come after him with a vengeance, hence that game will define the effectiveness of the OLine.

To be continued.

Reactions: francade
IIO. My thoughts are based o fall camp info from Lou and Brian. I could be wrong here but with the top two quarterbacks Book and Jurkovec they seemed to be great or poor in the fall camp. Wouldn’t that translate into what we are seeing now.

IIO. My thoughts are based o fall camp info from Lou and Brian. I could be wrong here but with the top two quarterbacks Book and Jurkovec they seemed to be great or poor in the fall camp. Wouldn’t that translate into what we are seeing now.
Yes.

Your “clock times” are wrong.

Use the quarter and game clock times.

As to your first analysis (6:02), (game clock 2:16) you’re dead wrong.

The blitzing lineman is unopposed and in his face within 2 seconds.

Book comes off his read to the left within 2 seconds of the snap and when he looks to the right to those receivers the defender is already in his face.

And 34 totally misses the blitzer.
Had he picked him up Book hits the open receiver.

Your analysis and criticism are deeply flawed.

As to your next play, (8:45) your time, second quarter 12:44.
Book gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds.
The pass is slightly behind the receiver.
If thrown on the numbers the second defender levels the receiver after the catch.
You’re living in a fantasy world if you think Claypool miraculously escapes both defenders.

As to your third evaluation (9:16) your time, second quarter (10:28) game clock, I agree that the throw is low, and that Claypool was open going in the opposite direction, but if the throw was higher Finke gets the first down. And an open Finke May have been his primary receiver.

Your demand for perfection is unreasonable!

As to your (11:39) play, game clock second quarter (3:40),
2 second quarter, after the snap the pocket is shrinking with four defenders closing in on him, two in front of him and one on each side of him.

The open receivers are crossing and running parallel at 1 and 2 yards beyond the LOS.

Could he have dumped it off ?
I think so, but I’m not sure that the play would have gained significant yardage.

20:57 i’ll accept your analysis.

Your play (21:06), game clock 4th quarter (11:19)
Book releases the ball in 2 seconds and hits keys for a first down and your complaining that he was off the perfect mark by one foot.
I know that you know what catch radius means and that was a good throw, unfortunately you want a perfect throw.

As to your 21:18 play, my tape cut out prior to that time as 3 hours had expired.

How about all of the good to great throws that book made, including dropped passes and pass completions blown dead ?

You think that Book had great protection and I think his protection was mediocre at best, so we disagree on that point.

What I liked about book was his release time, however, I’d like to see the OLine give him 4 seconds in the pocket. With that time I think Book’s production would soar.

Let’s see what New Mexico looks like.

Georgia will come after him with a vengeance, hence that game will define the effectiveness of the OLine.

To be continued.

A couple points.

1. There was ONE dropped pass in the game. The Kyren Williams drop on the perfect pass from Book out of the backfield. You seem to indicate that there was more than one.

2. The infamous play that we've been discussing where Book had two uncovered receivers to his right and the blitz came free, is absolutely his fault. Not because he could control the edge blitzer, butnbecause Louisville made it obvious the edge defender was coming and PRE SNAP, the closest player to Lawrence Keys lined up in the slot was 15 yards away, and he was the blitzing defender! The safety that was picking him up was 20+ yards off the ball. It's literally Keys against air and Bool just had to flip it too him. He saw the pressure coming pre snap and locked into Claypool. I don't think he ever saw Keys completely uncovered... A college quarterback easily makes that throw, even with pressure coming, as long as he sees thebllayer open pre snap.

Freeze the clock at 6:03 of this video and tell me that Keys isn't almost unfathomably open.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
IIO,

There was one dropped pass, but Book completed another pass on a play that was blown dead.

Now back to 6:02.

20-20 hindsight makes geniuses of us all.

Now your claiming that the pre-snap read guaranteed a blitz by the left side defender, # 10.

Wasn’t # 34 supposed to pick up that blitzer ?

How come # 34 missed the pre-snap read.
How come # 34 not only missed the pre-snap read, he missed the blitz after the snap.
How come # 34 didn’t adjust and pick up the blitzer, especially since he lined up to Book’s right, in a perfect position to pick up # 10 ?.

So if the QB and the RB BOTH miss your alleged pre-snap read, maybe it wasn’t so obvious, in the pre-snap phase, that # 10 was going to blitz.

Now I’m not as smart or football astute as everyone else, but I’ve looked at that play dozens of times and there’s nothing that # 10 does, pre-snap, that would lead a prudent person to conclude that he’s definitely blitzing.

It’s ONLY 20-20 hindsight that provides you with the luxury of knowing that # 10 blitzed and # 34 totally missed picking him up.

“but because Louisville made it obvious the edge defender was coming”

Lmao. Now if he doesn’t see what is “obvious” to you, he effed up? Lol. The lengths one will go to bolster one’s argument. This is beyond ridiculous now.

No I wasn’t expecting it though the old oneFootDown had amazing and credible breakdowns including pre and post snap field shots. I was hoping though. Watching tv isn’t film study and using 7 plays is not an elaborate analysis especially when two went for first downs. This would not even pass for a high school student volunteer analysis. Not being critical I appreciate the time and thought that went into it - it’s just not well constructed or credible to prove the point being asserted, that’s all, but hey this is just a free message board with people exchanging ideas and theories during the week, no probs with any of it and if you found me hillarious or naive I’m cool with that, I enjoy watching and discussing football for the last 40 years,
Joshua Vowles (I still like him as he has some good recruiting info) is one of the biggest homers on the planet. It’s hard to take anything regarding the current team on that site seriously, because they have a clear bias towards Notre Dame. They rely on views, so it’s easy for them to pretend everything is hunky dory in Notre Dame land, and just disregard any of the objective concerns about the current team.

Concerns;

1. Our QB played poorly in the first game of his second year (should be familiar by now under Kelly)

2. The play calling was once again horrible (another obvious trend under Chip Long)

3. Georgia is only a few weeks away (unless some things get turned around this team is in BIG trouble)

These are just the present concerns, (as there are many more) and to anyone that is at least trying to be objective they should be pretty obvious.

Two points...

1. Tons of quarterbacks around the country made the same mistakes Book made in game 1 of the season. This was not a post made to bash Book. He's simply the facilitator for the pass catchers, so his decisions greatly influence their production. Nothing I saw on film this week can't be corrected. We've seen Ian Book play much better than that, with a worse offensive line, against better defenses. I'm not worried about him based on what I saw vs Louisville.

2. This point of this thread was to debunk the opinion that ND doesn't have enough talent at wide receiver, that ND can't get guys open, or that Chip Long called a horrible game that didn't give Book chances to make plays. If people would actually watch the film back, they'd realize that there were numerous chances for ND to move the sticks, hit explosive plays for scores, etc, etc with better execution and decision making. IMO, they left 14+ points on the field due to Book's decisions alone and I didn't even mention some of the poor downfield blocking by wide receivers in space. A lot of yardage was left out there because guys were looking back at the Book scrambling, or Claypool a crosser and not busting their ass to make a block that could have sprung them.

Chip Long has tons of great film to show this week. Lots of improvements to be made over the next 11 days before New Mexico.

You are 100% correct we did have receivers open and Book had a pretty bad game. Also, would you agree that Book did and made bad pre snap reads and kept making his first reads to the wrong side of the field and kept missing his hot reads?

Joshua Vowles (I still like him as he has some good recruiting info) is one of the biggest homers on the planet. It’s hard to take anything regarding the current team on that site seriously, because they have a clear bias towards Notre Dame. They rely on views, so it’s easy for them to pretend everything is hunky dory in Notre Dame land, and just disregard any of the objective concerns about the current team.

Concerns;

1. Our QB played poorly in the first game of his second year (should be familiar by now under Kelly)

2. The play calling was once again horrible (another obvious trend under Chip Long)

3. Georgia is only a few weeks away (unless some things get turned around this team is in BIG trouble)

These are just the present concerns, (as there are many more) and to anyone that is at least trying to be objective they should be pretty obvious.
Let me translate for everyone, Kelly Sucks, and Kelly Sucks, and ummmm Kelly sucks some more.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
The coach doesn't share the blame? … he has had 4 years to coach this kid and sent the previous starter packing in favor of this guy. All QB's have historically got worse under BK ….. not some of them …. all of them. Not to mention BK hired a QB coach for Book who had ZERO experience. How is that Book's fault?
Actually, it's three years in this system. He's had 11 starts, and he was given a good game plan. There has got to be some personal responsibility here. Kelly took the blame, but Ian sucked and that's on him. He had open receivers down field and wouldn't take one shot beyond 20 yards. Except the one that took out the cheerleader.

IIO,

There was one dropped pass, but Book completed another pass on a play that was blown dead.

Now back to 6:02.

20-20 hindsight makes geniuses of us all.

Now your claiming that the pre-snap read guaranteed a blitz by the left side defender, # 10.

Wasn’t # 34 supposed to pick up that blitzer ?

How come # 34 missed the pre-snap read.
How come # 34 not only missed the pre-snap read, he missed the blitz after the snap.
How come # 34 didn’t adjust and pick up the blitzer, especially since he lined up to Book’s right, in a perfect position to pick up # 10 ?.

So if the QB and the RB BOTH miss your alleged pre-snap read, maybe it wasn’t so obvious, in the pre-snap phase, that # 10 was going to blitz.

Now I’m not as smart or football astute as everyone else, but I’ve looked at that play dozens of times and there’s nothing that # 10 does, pre-snap, that would lead a prudent person to conclude that he’s definitely blitzing.

It’s ONLY 20-20 hindsight that provides you with the luxury of knowing that # 10 blitzed and # 34 totally missed picking him up.
Now I'm not a football analyst by any means and I'm sure IIO can break it down much better than I. But it appears me Smith's assignment was either the option and to pickup any middle inside pressure. Still, if Book had made the right pre snap read and find either receiver that was wide open that could have easily been a TD. Or heck, Book could even call an audible if he didn't like what he saw. That play was ALL on Book.

How is it BK's fault?

He's the head coach.

He's very involved with the Quarterback position.

He's got the final decision on personnel.

Brandon Wimbush couldn't hit the ocean throwing from the pier.

He stuck with Brandon Wimbush for 17 starts.

If he didn't know Wimbush would never suddenly be an accurate QB then shame on him for 6 weeks.

Ian Book himself has to execute but if he's not then it's Brian Kelly's responsibility to find someone who will
Let me translate for everyone, "Kelly Sucks, and Kelly Sucks, and ummmm Kelly sucks some more".

Reactions: nemeth#5
“but because Louisville made it obvious the edge defender was coming”

Lmao. Now if he doesn’t see what is “obvious” to you, he effed up? Lol. The lengths one will go to bolster one’s argument. This is beyond ridiculous now.
Even if he doesn’t know he’s blitzing some feel it’s obvious others don’t, what is indisputable is the blown coverage every qb at the HS level and up has to see pre snap. Book was just in la la land for this game. Can’t happen

Even if he doesn’t know he’s blitzing some feel it’s obvious others don’t, what is indisputable is the blown coverage every qb at the HS level and up has to see pre snap. Book was just in la la land for this game. Can’t happen

Tell us, after looking at the film numerous times, what pre-snap “tell” did # 10 give that would indicate that he was going to blitz.

You are 100% correct we did have receivers open and Book had a pretty bad game. Also, would you agree that Book did and made bad pre snap reads and kept making his first reads to the wrong side of the field and kept missing his hot reads?

What bad “pre-snap” reads did Book miss ?

Cite the play using the game clock time.

Tell us, after looking at the film numerous times, what pre-snap “tell” did # 10 give that would indicate that he was going to blitz.
What bad “pre-snap” reads did Book miss ?

Cite the play using the game clock time.
Seriously? Did you even read this thread. There was MULTIPLE plays Book blew the pre snap reads and missed his hot receivers starting down the wrong side if the field. If you see there is a blitz, or they overload the line, you need to know which receiver is going to be the open one. I'm just going to quote IIO on this one since you didn't bother to read it,

"6:02... Louisville sends the blitz off the edge. Ian's hot read is immediately to look for Claypool into the boundary, but look at both Brock Wright and the slot receiver to the field (right side). The middle linebacker steps up thinking he's getting run and both ND receivers are downfield without a player within 15 yards of them. They were the closest player to one another without question and the simplest pass was an easy touchdown with a one serving as the pass catcher and the other serving as a downfield blocker post catch. Book takes the sack". IIO~

That he was in a sprinting stance and he completely came off the area he should be in and defending.

Tell me what a qb should do when he sees pre snap a completely uncovered wr, especially a slot receiver so he doesn’t have to throw it too far?

Now I'm not a football analyst by any means and I'm sure IIO can break it down much better than I. But it appears me Smith's assignment was either the option and to pickup any middle inside pressure. Still, if Book had made the right pre snap read and find either receiver that was wide open that could have easily been a TD. Or heck, Book could even call an audible if he didn't like what he saw. That play was ALL on Book.

Identify the pre-snap “tell” that # 10 gave off that would indicate that he was going to blitz.

# 34, who was perfectly positioned to pick up a blitzing # 10, didn’t think he was going to blitz based on his pre-snap read and he didn’t pick up that # 10 was going to blitz after the snap.

But you and everyone else with ESP knew that # 10 was going to blitz, even before the snap.

In addition, Book had 2 seconds before he was under siege.

You’re all frauds in claiming that your pre-snap read indicated that # 10 was going to blitz.

So tell us, what did # 10 do, pre-snap, that indicated that he would blitz.

It was a the opinion of some during the game that Book didn't have open receivers to pass to the majority of the night (but especially in the first half) against Louisville. I decided to do a film study, where those of you who think I'm just an overly critical, blind hater of Book can see exactly what I saw in the game. Admittedly, I don't really watch the game much anymore as a fan, but I understand that most people do... So I'll point some things out for the people who think I'm full of shit, or who simply watch the game as a fan and follow the ball. This isn't an attempt to be critical of Ian, but rather, to dispel the myth that ND didn't have a plethora of receivers open on Monday night. These aren't all of the examples, but some of the glaring ones that I thought would make for a good film study. If you're interested in learning a little bit more about the nuances of the passing game, give it a read and watch the film I've linked below at the times I have specified.

6:02... Louisville sends the blitz off the edge. Ian's hot read is immediately to look for Claypool into the boundary, but look at both Brock Wright and the slot receiver to the field (right side). The middle linebacker steps up thinking he's getting run and both ND receivers are downfield without a player within 15 yards of them. They were the closest player to one another without question and the simplest pass was an easy touchdown with a one serving as the pass catcher and the other serving as a downfield blocker post catch. Book takes the sack.

8:45... ND runs the RPO, with Claypool running the slant. He makes a hell of a catch on a ball thrown behind him, but the act of the catch takes him to the ground. If the ball is placed on him, he has the chance to make the safety miss (or run through him) and the corner is completely out of the play. That 2 feet can be the difference between the first down (which was achieved) and a chance at a touchdown if Claypool runs through the arm tackle of the safety and takes it the house.

9:16... It's 4th down and ND runs a rub route crossing concept and both Finke and Claypool are wide open for first downs. I would have actually thrown to Claypool on this route as he's the bigger, more physical receiver and he simply has to turn up field and fall down and the drive continues. He's even more open than Finke. Ian instead throws a ball low and out in front of Finke, taking him to the ground and forcing him to come up short of the 1st down. I don't have a problem with the read, Finke was wide open, the throw was simply poorly executed. Claypool was wide open as well though for an easy first down. Hell, Brock Wright is sitting in the middle of the Louisville zone wide open too. Ian easily could just drill the ball into his big tight end for a first down.

11:39... This is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm critical of Book vacating a clean pocket, for absolutely no reason. Freeze the frame at 11:42. Not only is Brock Wright screaming down the middle of the field wide open with a touch pass over the linebacker that is stepping up to take Claypool on the crossing route, the wide receiver at the top of the screen (I think it's Finke) comes wide open for an easy first down if Book has his head up and is looking to make a pass. Instead, he wants to vacate a perfectly clean pocket to run, with 2 wide open receivers directly in what would have been his field of vision had he just been looking up... He scrambles and is taken down for a short gain, causing another punt. When Rees said he wants Ian to come off his first receiver and finish his progression, this is a prime example of why. He has guys wide open on a key third down.

20:57... There is actually nothing wrong with what Book does here. Louisville was playing zone and both Claypool and Tremble sit down as they're taught, well beyond the sticks and present big targets for Book to let it rip. Ian makes a confident, decisive, throw and picks up an easy first down. The reason I included this highlight is that the premise of my post surrounds the idea that ND had receivers open early and often. Often, multiple receivers on a single play. Claypool and Tremble were both WIDE OPEN here, dispelling, yet again, the idea that ND doesn't have the speed or playmakers to get open. Book had his choice here and made one of two great decisions. The point is that he had options.

21:06... This has the chance to be a huge play and winds up being a great catch by Lawrence Keys, but Book's lack of accuracy, much like on the Finke and Claypool plays earlier, cost Notre Dame. Tremble does a great job of clearing out the slot defender on the seem route as Keys breaks underneath him on the slant route. It's a timing throw. If that ball is thrown in front of him, in stride, there is a significant possibility he runs right up the seem for 6. One guy had a chance for a tackle coming across the field and it would have been really hard to bring Keys down at that angle. Instead the play counts as a completion, but is the difference 12-15 yard gain and a potential touchdown. Long complained about the lack of plays for big yardage last year. "Explosives" as they've come to be known. Kelly talked about not all explosives needing to come via the deep ball, but that hitting receivers in stride in the pressure points of the opposition defense can also lead to game changing plays. This is a prime example of what he was talking about. This play, if executed better, almost assuredly scores, or at the very least goes for enormous yardage.

21:18... Book scrambles for a nice first down here on third and 4, but it was never necessary. At the snap he immediately looks for Chase Claypool running the dig route in the boundary. He has a clean pocket and has plenty of time to continue his progression. To the field, Tony Jones flares out of the backfield, causing Chris Finke's corner to come racing up to take away the running back. There isn't a player within 5 yards of Finke who is sitting on the hash, beyond the sticks, waiting for an easy pitch and catch. Book instead looks for a lane to scramble and does a nice job of picking up the first down, but had he simply turned his head to the field, he could have drilled Finke, who may have had a bunch of room for YAC down the sideline after the catch. He couldn't have been more wide open.

Very nice analysis. Maybe we should put different quarterback in who can see the field because he's taller. Any suggestions?

Identify the pre-snap “tell” that # 10 gave off that would indicate that he was going to blitz.

# 34, who was perfectly positioned to pick up a blitzing # 10, didn’t think he was going to blitz based on his pre-snap read and he didn’t pick up that # 10 was going to blitz after the snap.

But you and everyone else with ESP knew that # 10 was going to blitz, even before the snap.

In addition, Book had 2 seconds before he was under siege.

You’re all frauds in claiming that your pre-snap read indicated that # 10 was going to blitz.

So tell us, what did # 10 do, pre-snap, that indicated that he would blitz.
Hmm, ok I guess Irish Illustrated, Blue and Gold, ESPN, pretty much everyone else is a fraud. Ok, and good luck with alllll that!

Seriously? Did you even read this thread. There was MULTIPLE plays Book blew the pre snap reads and missed his hot receivers starting down the wrong side if the field. If you see there is a blitz, or they overload the line, you need to know which receiver is going to be the open one. I'm just going to quote IIO on this one since you didn't bother to read it,

"6:02... Louisville sends the blitz off the edge. Ian's hot read is immediately to look for Claypool into the boundary, but look at both Brock Wright and the slot receiver to the field (right side). The middle linebacker steps up thinking he's getting run and both ND receivers are downfield without a player within 15 yards of them. They were the closest player to one another without question and the simplest pass was an easy touchdown with a one serving as the pass catcher and the other serving as a downfield blocker post catch. Book takes the sack". IIO~

If there were multiple plays, cite them.
Use the game clock for reference.

6:02 ?

What about # 10’s pre-snap body language or movement indicated that #10 was going to blitz ?

You’re just another fraud.

Very nice analysis. Maybe we should put different quarterback in who can see the field because he's taller. Any suggestions?
I'm just hoping it was a bad game, but it sure makes me nervous. He still does not appear to have the confidence to try to get a ball in tight spaces. He had I think one throw beyond 20 yards. We can get away with this with UK, but not Georgia.

If there were multiple plays, cite them.
Use the game clock for reference.

6:02 ?

What about # 10’s pre-snap body language or movement indicated that #10 was going to blitz ?

You’re just another fraud.
I heard you were nuts. Thanks for the confirmation. Have a nice life.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Hmm, ok I guess Irish Illustrated, Blue and Gold, ESPN, pretty much everyone else is a fraud. Ok, and good luck with alllll that!

Don’t avoid the question by trying to divert and deflect, answer my question !

I heard you were nuts. Thanks for the confirmation. Have a nice life.

You’re a fraud.

You made an allegation and when asked to substantiate your claim, you fail miserably and to cover up for your ignorance and incompetence you resort to trying to divert and deflect in order to avoid making a fool of yourself.

You’re a fraud.

That he was in a sprinting stance and he completely came off the area he should be in and defending.

Tell me what a qb should do when he sees pre snap a completely uncovered wr, especially a slot receiver so he doesn’t have to throw it too far?

Bull

What WR was completely uncovered ?

Book had 2 seconds before he was under siege.

Now you’re going to tell us, prior to the snap, if they were in man or zone defense ?

If it was so obvious that # 10 was blitzing, why is It that # 34 missed the pre-snap read ?

Why did # 34 miss that # 10 was blitzing pre and post snap.

# 34 was just a few yards from # 10 !

But you, who were watching from afar were able to discern all of this.

I’m no expert, but I’m not a pretender like you and some others.

And, # 10 was not in a “sprinters” stance

“what is indisputable is the blown coverage every qb at the HS level and up has to see pre snap”

Man, if we could just get him to be a HS level qb, we’d be set.

“what is indisputable is the blown coverage every qb at the HS level and up has to see pre snap”

Man, if we could just get him to be a HS level qb, we’d be set.
Last 2 games he's played like a HS QB trying to jump to college.

He had 9 months to work on his major issues, they looked even worse than last year.

What improvements did you see in Book from last year?

“Last 2 games he's played like a HS QB trying to jump to college.

He had 9 months to work on his major issues, they looked even worse than last year.

What improvements did you see in Book from last year?”

Get a new dog. Oh, almost forgot, “major issues” my ass.

“Last 2 games he's played like a HS QB trying to jump to college.

What improvements did you see in Book from last year?”

Get a new dog. Oh, almost forgot, “major issues” my ass.
Ha ha.

You don't think panicking once your #1 option is covered, or panicking if there's the smallest feeling of pressure are major issues?

Our offense looked like absolute crap vs most of the game vs USC, ALL of the game vs Clemson, and Most of the game vs Louisville. Blame long some, i'm game, blame kelly some, i'm game, blame book some or a ton, i'm game.

Also, i'm not surprised your ass has major issues!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT