ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study for Those Who Don't Think ND Had Open Receivers Against Louisville

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
It was a the opinion of some during the game that Book didn't have open receivers to pass to the majority of the night (but especially in the first half) against Louisville. I decided to do a film study, where those of you who think I'm just an overly critical, blind hater of Book can see exactly what I saw in the game. Admittedly, I don't really watch the game much anymore as a fan, but I understand that most people do... So I'll point some things out for the people who think I'm full of shit, or who simply watch the game as a fan and follow the ball. This isn't an attempt to be critical of Ian, but rather, to dispel the myth that ND didn't have a plethora of receivers open on Monday night. These aren't all of the examples, but some of the glaring ones that I thought would make for a good film study. If you're interested in learning a little bit more about the nuances of the passing game, give it a read and watch the film I've linked below at the times I have specified.

6:02... Louisville sends the blitz off the edge. Ian's hot read is immediately to look for Claypool into the boundary, but look at both Brock Wright and the slot receiver to the field (right side). The middle linebacker steps up thinking he's getting run and both ND receivers are downfield without a player within 15 yards of them. They were the closest player to one another without question and the simplest pass was an easy touchdown with a one serving as the pass catcher and the other serving as a downfield blocker post catch. Book takes the sack.

8:45... ND runs the RPO, with Claypool running the slant. He makes a hell of a catch on a ball thrown behind him, but the act of the catch takes him to the ground. If the ball is placed on him, he has the chance to make the safety miss (or run through him) and the corner is completely out of the play. That 2 feet can be the difference between the first down (which was achieved) and a chance at a touchdown if Claypool runs through the arm tackle of the safety and takes it the house.

9:16... It's 4th down and ND runs a rub route crossing concept and both Finke and Claypool are wide open for first downs. I would have actually thrown to Claypool on this route as he's the bigger, more physical receiver and he simply has to turn up field and fall down and the drive continues. He's even more open than Finke. Ian instead throws a ball low and out in front of Finke, taking him to the ground and forcing him to come up short of the 1st down. I don't have a problem with the read, Finke was wide open, the throw was simply poorly executed. Claypool was wide open as well though for an easy first down. Hell, Brock Wright is sitting in the middle of the Louisville zone wide open too. Ian easily could just drill the ball into his big tight end for a first down.

11:39... This is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm critical of Book vacating a clean pocket, for absolutely no reason. Freeze the frame at 11:42. Not only is Brock Wright screaming down the middle of the field wide open with a touch pass over the linebacker that is stepping up to take Claypool on the crossing route, the wide receiver at the top of the screen (I think it's Finke) comes wide open for an easy first down if Book has his head up and is looking to make a pass. Instead, he wants to vacate a perfectly clean pocket to run, with 2 wide open receivers directly in what would have been his field of vision had he just been looking up... He scrambles and is taken down for a short gain, causing another punt. When Rees said he wants Ian to come off his first receiver and finish his progression, this is a prime example of why. He has guys wide open on a key third down.

20:57... There is actually nothing wrong with what Book does here. Louisville was playing zone and both Claypool and Tremble sit down as they're taught, well beyond the sticks and present big targets for Book to let it rip. Ian makes a confident, decisive, throw and picks up an easy first down. The reason I included this highlight is that the premise of my post surrounds the idea that ND had receivers open early and often. Often, multiple receivers on a single play. Claypool and Tremble were both WIDE OPEN here, dispelling, yet again, the idea that ND doesn't have the speed or playmakers to get open. Book had his choice here and made one of two great decisions. The point is that he had options.

21:06... This has the chance to be a huge play and winds up being a great catch by Lawrence Keys, but Book's lack of accuracy, much like on the Finke and Claypool plays earlier, cost Notre Dame. Tremble does a great job of clearing out the slot defender on the seem route as Keys breaks underneath him on the slant route. It's a timing throw. If that ball is thrown in front of him, in stride, there is a significant possibility he runs right up the seem for 6. One guy had a chance for a tackle coming across the field and it would have been really hard to bring Keys down at that angle. Instead the play counts as a completion, but is the difference 12-15 yard gain and a potential touchdown. Long complained about the lack of plays for big yardage last year. "Explosives" as they've come to be known. Kelly talked about not all explosives needing to come via the deep ball, but that hitting receivers in stride in the pressure points of the opposition defense can also lead to game changing plays. This is a prime example of what he was talking about. This play, if executed better, almost assuredly scores, or at the very least goes for enormous yardage.

21:18... Book scrambles for a nice first down here on third and 4, but it was never necessary. At the snap he immediately looks for Chase Claypool running the dig route in the boundary. He has a clean pocket and has plenty of time to continue his progression. To the field, Tony Jones flares out of the backfield, causing Chris Finke's corner to come racing up to take away the running back. There isn't a player within 5 yards of Finke who is sitting on the hash, beyond the sticks, waiting for an easy pitch and catch. Book instead looks for a lane to scramble and does a nice job of picking up the first down, but had he simply turned his head to the field, he could have drilled Finke, who may have had a bunch of room for YAC down the sideline after the catch. He couldn't have been more wide open.

Last edited:
Can these issues be rectified in the next 3 weeks?

The timing throws absolutely can be. This was game 1. A lot of quarterbacks around the country were off with their timing. That wasn't just Ian Book. The fleeing of the pocket without going through progressions is something they've been actively working on all off season and Rees was honest in that it's their single greatest point of emphasis with Book right now. They don't want to take away his ability to scramble, because his legs are a weapon, but particularly on third down, if he hangs in a clean pocket, guys like Finke and the tight ends will work themselves open. He has to make 2-3 reads on those key plays that extend drives or lead to big chunk gains.

All fair points IIO. No arguments with your posting, as I'm sure it took awhile to research and post this. I dunno how to feel about Book at this point. A few thoughts I have is... #1. He did make the plays needed to win the game. Congrats to him and the rest of the boys there. #2. He still appeared to have that happy feet problem and wanting to flee. He just does not trust his offensive line. Coach Shannhan said that one of the traits he looks for in a QB, is when he will stand in the pocket for that half second longer to make that timing throw to a receiver and take a crushing blow. Book clearly doesnt have that trait. #3. I was very surprised that Long didnt take a shot downfield once. Supposedly Book had corrected his deep ball issues, but the fact that they didn't try tells me that they dont trust Book to execute this play. I was at the Michigan opener last year and with BW they took shots early in the game.

Now to be fair, how many QBs across the country are making the same mistakes like Book is? Chances are probably all of them save 1 maybe 2 guys. I just was hoping for more improvement with Book's happy feet, patience, poise, and the deep ball. Maybe he has plateaued and this is the best we'll get. He isn't a bad QB by any means, as I believe he can still lead ND to an 11 win season and that would be an accomplishment. Let's see how he bounces back and moves forward.

Reactions: rgc7
All fair points IIO. No arguments with your posting, as I'm sure it took awhile to research and post this. I dunno how to feel about Book at this point. A few thoughts I have is... #1. He did make the plays needed to win the game. Congrats to him and the rest of the boys there. #2. He still appeared to have that happy feet problem and wanting to flee. He just does not trust his offensive line. Coach Shannhan said that one of the traits he looks for in a QB, is when he will stand in the pocket for that half second longer to make that timing throw to a receiver and take a crushing blow. Book clearly doesnt have that trait. #3. I was very surprised that Long didnt take a shot downfield once. Supposedly Book had corrected his deep ball issues, but the fact that they didn't try tells me that they dont trust Book to execute this play. I was at the Michigan opener last year and with BW they took shots early in the game.

Now to be fair, how many QBs across the country are making the same mistakes like Book is? Chances are probably all of them save 1 maybe 2 guys. I just was hoping for more improvement with Book's happy feet, patience, poise, and the deep ball. Maybe he has plateaued and this is the best we'll get. He isn't a bad QB by any means, as I believe he can still lead ND to an 11 win season and that would be an accomplishment. Let's see how he bounces back and moves forward.

Two points...

1. Tons of quarterbacks around the country made the same mistakes Book made in game 1 of the season. This was not a post made to bash Book. He's simply the facilitator for the pass catchers, so his decisions greatly influence their production. Nothing I saw on film this week can't be corrected. We've seen Ian Book play much better than that, with a worse offensive line, against better defenses. I'm not worried about him based on what I saw vs Louisville.

2. This point of this thread was to debunk the opinion that ND doesn't have enough talent at wide receiver, that ND can't get guys open, or that Chip Long called a horrible game that didn't give Book chances to make plays. If people would actually watch the film back, they'd realize that there were numerous chances for ND to move the sticks, hit explosive plays for scores, etc, etc with better execution and decision making. IMO, they left 14+ points on the field due to Book's decisions alone and I didn't even mention some of the poor downfield blocking by wide receivers in space. A lot of yardage was left out there because guys were looking back at the Book scrambling, or Claypool a crosser and not busting their ass to make a block that could have sprung them.

Chip Long has tons of great film to show this week. Lots of improvements to be made over the next 11 days before New Mexico.

Yep...already seen it the entire game.

He locks in on the first receiver most times with mind made up pre snap and if covered he bails.

That's Book in one short and sweet paragraph.

Two points...

1. Tons of quarterbacks around the country made the same mistakes Book made in game 1 of the season. This was not a post made to bash Book. He's simply the facilitator for the pass catchers, so his decisions greatly influence their production. Nothing I saw on film this week can't be corrected. We've seen Ian Book play much better than that, with a worse offensive line, against better defenses. I'm not worried about him based on what I saw vs Louisville.

2. This point of this thread was to debunk the opinion that ND doesn't have enough talent at wide receiver, that ND can't get guys open, or that Chip Long called a horrible game that didn't give Book chances to make plays. If people would actually watch the film back, they'd realize that there were numerous chances for ND to move the sticks, hit explosive plays for scores, etc, etc with better execution and decision making. IMO, they left 14+ points on the field due to Book's decisions alone and I didn't even mention some of the poor downfield blocking by wide receivers in space. A lot of yardage was left out there because guys were looking back at the Book scrambling, or Claypool a crosser and not busting their ass to make a block that could have sprung them.

Chip Long has tons of great film to show this week. Lots of improvements to be made over the next 11 days before New Mexico.
Again, I agree with your points. And I'm sure Book will be kicking himself in the head when he watches the film. But my concern is still that why is Book making these mistakes in his 4th year and 2nd as a starter? And adding to that, if hes performed better with a worse offensive line, then why he is regressing? I'm willing to give Book the benefit of a doubt, that he has not played a live game since January and will correct these mistakes. But admittedly, I'm anxious hes plateaued.

Again, I agree with your points. And I'm sure Book will be kicking himself in the head when he watches the film. But my concern is still that why is Book making these mistakes in his 4th year and 2nd as a starter? And adding to that, if hes performed better with a worse offensive line, then why he is regressing? I'm willing to give Book the benefit of a doubt, that he has not played a live game since January and will correct these mistakes. But admittedly, I'm anxious hes plateaued.

You wouldn't happen to see a trend with the Brian Kelly Quarterbacks, eh'

This is a really good post thanks for the work and research that went into it and thanks for sharing it.

I think that you can take every quarterback in the league and find tons of mistakes bad throws and open receivers that they missed (which youve acknowledged in your postt) but it doesn't really say much about the quality of the quarterback or the quality of the receivers.

I'm not even sure this topic was a statement about the quality of the quarterback or the quality of the receivers more than just an observation and breakdown of that singular game but I get the feeling it can be misconstrued that way.

Notre Dame has solid skill players relative to all 130 plus teams in college football but their current active skill players compared to their peers ( the premier programs in each power 5 conference) ranks at or near the bottom

And it is important to make that distinction because even though Notre Dame skill players were better than the players on Louisville's defense they weren't significantly better than them to the extent that Clemson wide receivers for example like Ross and Higgins would be.

when you have elite players like that who just create tons of plays and separation who the quarterback has supreme confidence in it is probably a lot easier on the quarterback to just throw the ball in their direction and know that they'll make a play.

The closest thing Ian book has to that is Chase claypool but that really is it.

and this doesn't even touch on the benefits and opportunities that playmakers at running back can create in the passing game as well

Edit: to clarify my point and fix grammar errors

Last edited:
Appreciate the time you spent on that ... the headline is fake news. I was hoping you had game film, you re-watched the television broadcast which does actually follow the ball.

Notre Dame threw the ball 23 times and had several more QB scrambles in what may have been passing plays. You picked 7 plays ... 1 was a run for 1st down, another was a pass for a first down. Now we are down to 5 plays, 3 were completions on poor throws so a mechanical error not a mental mistake. Now we are down to 2 plays ... one was a missed read and the other was failure to throw into the blitz. What you called a hot read, the gamble that the blitz takes and is hoping for and why it sometimes works.

Hardly the data that backs up your assertion and admittedly all you have is the TV broadcast.

If you did an actual film study I’m guessing you would find better options on several plays and some of those would have been sacks and incompletions instead of decent gains on the ground.

Last edited:
It was a the opinion of some during the game that Book didn't have open receivers to pass to the majority of the night (but especially in the first half) against Louisville. I decided to do a film study, where those of you who think I'm just an overly critical, blind hater of Book can see exactly what I saw in the game. Admittedly, I don't really watch the game much anymore as a fan, but I understand that most people do... So I'll point some things out for the people who think I'm full of shit, or who simply watch the game as a fan and follow the ball. This isn't an attempt to be critical of Ian, but rather, to dispel the myth that ND didn't have a plethora of receivers open on Monday night. These aren't all of the examples, but some of the glaring ones that I thought would make for a good film study. If you're interested in learning a little bit more about the nuances of the passing game, give it a read and watch the film I've linked below at the times I have specified.

6:02... Louisville sends the blitz off the edge. Ian's hot read is immediately to look for Claypool into the boundary, but look at both Brock Wright and the slot receiver to the field (right side). The middle linebacker steps up thinking he's getting run and both ND receivers are downfield without a player within 15 yards of them. They were the closest player to one another without question and the simplest pass was an easy touchdown with a one serving as the pass catcher and the other serving as a downfield blocker post catch. Book takes the sack.

8:45... ND runs the RPO, with Claypool running the slant. He makes a hell of a catch on a ball thrown behind him, but the act of the catch takes him to the ground. If the ball is placed on him, he has the chance to make the safety miss (or run through him) and the corner is completely out of the play. That 2 feet can be the difference between the first down (which was achieved) and a chance at a touchdown if Claypool runs through the arm tackle of the safety and takes it the house.

9:16... It's 4th down and ND runs a rub route crossing concept and both Finke and Claypool are wide open for first downs. I would have actually thrown to Claypool on this route as he's the bigger, more physical receiver and he simply has to turn up field and fall down and the drive continues. He's even more open than Finke. Ian instead throws a ball low and out in front of Finke, taking him to the ground and forcing him to come up short of the 1st down. I don't have a problem with the read, Finke was wide open, the throw was simply poorly executed. Claypool was wide open as well though for an easy first down. Hell, Brock Wright is sitting in the middle of the Louisville zone wide open too. Ian easily could just drill the ball into his big tight end for a first down.

11:39... This is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm critical of Book vacating a clean pocket, for absolutely no reason. Freeze the frame at 11:42. Not only is Brock Wright screaming down the middle of the field wide open with a touch pass over the linebacker that is stepping up to take Claypool on the crossing route, the wide receiver at the top of the screen (I think it's Finke) comes wide open for an easy first down if Book has his head up and is looking to make a pass. Instead, he wants to vacate a perfectly clean pocket to run, with 2 wide open receivers directly in what would have been his field of vision had he just been looking up... He scrambles and is taken down for a short gain, causing another punt. When Rees said he wants Ian to come off his first receiver and finish his progression, this is a prime example of why. He has guys wide open on a key third down.

20:57... There is actually nothing wrong with what Book does here. Louisville was playing zone and both Claypool and Tremble sit down as they're taught, well beyond the sticks and present big targets for Book to let it rip. Ian makes a confident, decisive, throw and picks up an easy first down. The reason I included this highlight is that the premise of my post surrounds the idea that ND had receivers open early and often. Often, multiple receivers on a single play. Claypool and Tremble were both WIDE OPEN here, dispelling, yet again, the idea that ND doesn't have the speed or playmakers to get open. Book had his choice here and made one of two great decisions. The point is that he had options.

21:06... This has the chance to be a huge play and winds up being a great catch by Lawrence Keys, but Book's lack of accuracy, much like on the Finke and Claypool plays earlier, cost Notre Dame. Tremble does a great job of clearing out the slot defender on the seem route as Keys breaks underneath him on the slant route. It's a timing throw. If that ball is thrown in front of him, in stride, there is a significant possibility he runs right up the seem for 6. One guy had a chance for a tackle coming across the field and it would have been really hard to bring Keys down at that angle. Instead the play counts as a completion, but is the difference 12-15 yard gain and a potential touchdown. Long complained about the lack of plays for big yardage last year. "Explosives" as they've come to be known. Kelly talked about not all explosives needing to come via the deep ball, but that hitting receivers in stride in the pressure points of the opposition defense can also lead to game changing plays. This is a prime example of what he was talking about. This play, if executed better, almost assuredly scores, or at the very least goes for enormous yardage.

21:18... Book scrambles for a nice first down here on third and 4, but it was never necessary. At the snap he immediately looks for Chase Claypool running the dig route in the boundary. He has a clean pocket and has plenty of time to continue his progression. To the field, Tony Jones flares out of the backfield, causing Chris Finke's corner to come racing up to take away the running back. There isn't a player within 5 yards of Finke who is sitting on the hash, beyond the sticks, waiting for an easy pitch and catch. Book instead looks for a lane to scramble and does a nice job of picking up the first down, but had he simply turned his head to the field, he could have drilled Finke, who may have had a bunch of room for YAC down the sideline after the catch. He couldn't have been more wide open.

Bryan has up the 22 tape & breakdown.

It shows all 22 players on the field from above, pre & post snap, & what the plays are & each persons’ assignment.

It’s interesting how much ND left on the field because of not seeing open receivers. But also, the receivers not running good routes all the time too.

Good post IIO. Makes me feel a little better about our play designs, but doesn't make me feel any better about Book. He is entering the dreaded year 2 under Brian Kelly.

The thing that I never understand is what BK is supppsed to do?
If people are wide open & they practice all week knowing the play, and Book just doesn’t throw it, how’s that BK’s fault?
If Finke is open on 4th down & Book throws it at his feet, even with no pressure, how’s that BK’s fault?
And the obvious one is Book getting happy feet. They worked all offseason on this, & as soon as the game starts Book does it again. What is BK supposed to do? He spent all offseason having Book work on it.
BK can’t stand on the field & hold Book in the pocket then remind him who will be open each play.
That’s on Book.

If people are wide open & they practice all week knowing the play, and Book just doesn’t throw it, how’s that BK’s fault?
If Finke is open on 4th down & Book throws it at his feet, even with no pressure, how’s that BK’s fault?
And the obvious one is Book getting happy feet. They worked all offseason on this, & as soon as the game starts Book does it again. What is BK supposed to do? He spent all offseason having Book work on it.
BK can’t stand on the field & hold Book in the pocket then remind him who will be open each play.
That’s on Book.

At what point do you start blaming the instructor when 5 different tutors display similar characteristics their second year?

At what point do you start blaming the instructor when 5 different tutors display similar characteristics their second year?

It’s not like these players are bad, maybe they are just not elite, and when they go to other programs they don’t do any better ... whether it’s Golson, Zaire, Wimbush etc

Some coaches are recruiting more highly rated talent and some are finding better hidden gems and maximizing their talents.

"6:02... Louisville sends the blitz off the edge. Ian's hot read is immediately to look for Claypool into the boundary, but look at both Brock Wright and the slot receiver to the field (right side)."

he has no time to see Wright and the slot guy -- watch it -- better yet, why does not the back anticipate the blitz off the edge? That is what blows this play up

"8:45... ND runs the RPO, with Claypool running the slant. He makes a hell of a catch on a ball thrown behind him, but the act of the catch takes him to the ground. If the ball is placed on him, he has the chance to make the safety miss (or run through him) and the corner is completely out of the play."

Agree -- that is a matter of trusting your mechanics and putting it where the receiver can make a play.

"9:16... It's 4th down and ND runs a rub route crossing concept and both Finke and Claypool are wide open for first downs. I would have actually thrown to Claypool on this route as he's the bigger, more physical receiver and he simply has to turn up field and fall down and the drive continues."

Play design/read? Also -- there is a DB just waiting to lay the boom on Claypool as well -- maybe he sheds the tackle, maybe he does not. I have no issue with the receiver, just give him a chance...

"11:39... This is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm critical of Book vacating a clean pocket, for absolutely no reason. Freeze the frame at 11:42"

Disagree -- that pocket is not as clean as you think -- he steps up and has a guy in his face -- now, if he moves to his right just a step or 2 on his step up, and keeps his head up, he may see something.

That’s on Book.
How is it BK's fault?

He's the head coach.

He's very involved with the Quarterback position.

He's got the final decision on personnel.

Brandon Wimbush couldn't hit the ocean throwing from the pier.

He stuck with Brandon Wimbush for 17 starts.

If he didn't know Wimbush would never suddenly be an accurate QB then shame on him for 6 weeks.

Ian Book himself has to execute but if he's not then it's Brian Kelly's responsibility to find someone who will

Appreciate the time you spent on that ... the headline is fake news. I was hoping you had game film, you re-watched the television broadcast which does actually follow the ball.

Notre Dame threw the ball 23 times and had several more QB scrambles in what may have been passing plays. You picked 7 plays ... 1 was a run for 1st down, another was a pass for a first down. Now we are down to 5 plays, 3 were completions on poor throws so a mechanical error not a mental mistake. Now we are down to 2 plays ... one was a missed read and the other was failure to throw into the blitz. What you called a hot read, the gamble that the blitz takes and is hoping for and why it sometimes works.

Hardly the data that backs up your assertion and admittedly all you have is the TV broadcast.

If you did an actual film study I’m guessing you would find better options on several plays and some of those would have been sacks and incompletions instead of decent gains on the ground.
This post is a hilarious and wrong. Were you actually expecting someone having the game film as if the teams distribute that publicly? Lol. The post and his assertions are fully backed up as well though I suppose if you went in expecting him to have reviewed game film it might feel like being let down and paint your feeling with lack of credibility.

That’s on Book.
Agree to an extent. Kelly was supposed to be a QB wizard, yet our teams have played better when we are run dominated and we hold back the QB because they are young. When the QB has the keys to the ship they tend to play worse.

Is BK running the correct drills in practice to get the most out of his QBs? I don't know the answer to this

Is the offense tailored properly to the QB? I'm inclined to say no because of the crap they tried to run with wimbush last year

Is he being too soft on Book?

Look at what Lincoln Riley has done to 3 QBs in a row, yes talented, but all of them had major issues and struggles until he got to them.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
This post is a hilarious and wrong. Were you actually expecting someone having the game film as if the teams distribute that publicly? Lol. The post and his assertions are fully backed up as well though I suppose if you went in expecting him to have reviewed game film it might feel like being let down and paint your feeling with lack of credibility.

No I wasn’t expecting it though the old oneFootDown had amazing and credible breakdowns including pre and post snap field shots. I was hoping though. Watching tv isn’t film study and using 7 plays is not an elaborate analysis especially when two went for first downs. This would not even pass for a high school student volunteer analysis. Not being critical I appreciate the time and thought that went into it - it’s just not well constructed or credible to prove the point being asserted, that’s all, but hey this is just a free message board with people exchanging ideas and theories during the week, no probs with any of it and if you found me hillarious or naive I’m cool with that, I enjoy watching and discussing football for the last 40 years,

No I wasn’t expecting it though the old oneFootDown had amazing and credible breakdowns including pre and post snap field shots. I was hoping though. Watching tv isn’t film study and using 7 plays is not an elaborate analysis especially when two went for first downs. This would not even pass for a high school student volunteer analysis. Not being critical I appreciate the time and thought that went into it - it’s just not well constructed or credible to prove the point being asserted, that’s all, but hey this is just a free message board with people exchanging ideas and theories during the week, no probs with any of it and if you found me hillarious or naive I’m cool with that, I enjoy watching and discussing football for the last 40 years,
Nah the point is those 7 plays represent things that have been noticed for areas of improvement since last season. It’s not “only” those. We were in fact told keeping eyes down field to keep the play alive was a focus point to fix from the coaches.

It’s all in good fun I try not to take it personal and didn’t mean it personal it just struck me an odd expectation to have that he reviewed actual film.

"6:02... Louisville sends the blitz off the edge. Ian's hot read is immediately to look for Claypool into the boundary, but look at both Brock Wright and the slot receiver to the field (right side)."

he has no time to see Wright and the slot guy -- watch it -- better yet, why does not the back anticipate the blitz off the edge? That is what blows this play up

"8:45... ND runs the RPO, with Claypool running the slant. He makes a hell of a catch on a ball thrown behind him, but the act of the catch takes him to the ground. If the ball is placed on him, he has the chance to make the safety miss (or run through him) and the corner is completely out of the play."

Agree -- that is a matter of trusting your mechanics and putting it where the receiver can make a play.

"9:16... It's 4th down and ND runs a rub route crossing concept and both Finke and Claypool are wide open for first downs. I would have actually thrown to Claypool on this route as he's the bigger, more physical receiver and he simply has to turn up field and fall down and the drive continues."

Play design/read? Also -- there is a DB just waiting to lay the boom on Claypool as well -- maybe he sheds the tackle, maybe he does not. I have no issue with the receiver, just give him a chance...

"11:39... This is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm critical of Book vacating a clean pocket, for absolutely no reason. Freeze the frame at 11:42"

Disagree -- that pocket is not as clean as you think -- he steps up and has a guy in his face -- now, if he moves to his right just a step or 2 on his step up, and keeps his head up, he may see something.
Play at 6:02 the Slot WR is completely uncovered pre snap, ummm, maybe scan the field pre snap like you're supposed to, and throw it to the guy not covered because of busted coverage?

Play 9:16, defender is 5-10 yards away from chase, he catches it running full stride at 230, turns, and who crushes who? One is running one isn't

11:39, that absolutely is a clean pocket. It's not a wall. If you want to see a wall, then you'll get that probably a lot more vs NM, but not when you play a power 5 team that has some descent defenders. He 100% panicked there. it's 3rd and 8, they're rushing 4, he's not going to get it scrambling, you have to stay in the pocket or at least find an avenue to extend the play. He never extends, he tucks, looks down, and leaves.

Play at 6:02 the Slot WR is completely uncovered pre snap, ummm, maybe scan the field pre snap like you're supposed to, and throw it to the guy not covered because of busted coverage?
Yes, exactly. I was getting ready to post the same thing. There is no excuse for not properly surveying the defense before every snap and Book definitely failed to do so on this play.

It’s not like these players are bad, maybe they are just not elite, and when they go to other programs they don’t do any better ... whether it’s Golson, Zaire, Wimbush etc

Some coaches are recruiting more highly rated talent and some are finding better hidden gems and maximizing their talents.

And who recruits the qbs? The bottom line is, BK has NEVER had a qb improve year to year in his now 10th season. I think you'd be hard pressed to say that about almost any other program in the country in that span. Either he is really good at getting qbs to play to their potential from day 1 (and recruits only low ceiling qbs), or he sucks at developing qbs.

The headline is not fake news. The assertion that some people were making is that Notre Dame did not have open receivers vs Louisville....

I simply chose some plays that showed a variety of the things that both us fans and the coaches have been talking about... Here are a few more of year. Keep in mind, my post isn't about ripping Ian Book. It's about debunking the misconception that wide receivers weren't open to get the ball too. Here are a few more for you...

15:25: The first play of the second offensive series for Notre Dame. Claypool comes across the field on a crossing route and Book sees him wide open, with cushion between he and the defender chasing in him cover 1. The rest of the field is cleared out. Book makes the right read, but the defensive lineman makes a nice play, gets his hand up and tips the Book pass well high, over Claypool's head. Not Ian's fault, but not Chase's either. He was WIDE OPEN, running away from a defender and just got unlucky with the tip... But Claypool was open.

16:00: The second play of the second drive. Book gets pressure off the edge, Notre Dame's offensive line whiffs in picking it up. Claypool breaks off his route in the face of the blitz as he's expected to do and is wide open on a ball that Ian completes easily without the pressure. I'm not blaming that one on Ian. It's a completable ball, but he throws it high to get it over the Louisville defender oncoming. Neither Book or Claypool's fault... But Claypool was open.

16:40: The third play of the second drive. This play is perplexing to me. It's 3rd and 10 and Notre Dame sends 5 receivers out on routes (including the back) against Louisville's defense which drops 8 and rushes 3 defenders. There were no wide receivers immediately open on this play but what bothers me is that ND has 5 guys into pass block, vs 3 rushers and Book (likely surprised) by the 8 defenders dropping literally hits his back foot and takes off to run on a low percentage play for an attempted first down. Quarterbacks get confused in coverage all the time, that doesn't both me. What does is that he didn't even let his OL set the pocket up, or let one of his receivers work to get open, which is usually what has to be done when the opponent drops 8. It's 3rd and 10... There is no obvious running lane like on the first play of the game. 8 yards gets you nothing. Sit in the pocket for another 2 seconds with your 2 man advantage at the LOS and throw the ball high and out of bounds if nobody plays themselves open... We don't know if anybody was open. The quarterback panicked before the pocket could even develop and took off.

37:38: It's 1st and 10 and Notre Dame has a great play call on against a dropping defense. They have Chris Finke on a crossing route from the field and Kyren Williams coming out of the backfield on wheel route. If you freeze is at 37:45, you'll see how wide open both of them are. Book can throw it to either receiver and it's a great decision. He chooses Kyren, makes a perfect throw with the nearest defender 10 yards away and Williams flat drops the pass. I believe ND's only drop on the game. It should have been caught, it would have gained at least 6-7 yards and possibly a lot more. Completely on Kyren… But Williams and Finke were open.

41:22: It's 2nd and 6 and Notre Dame runs a very simple, but effective pass concept. Book Claypool wide open for what was a 4 yard gain that set up a 3rd down. Freeze it at 41:25. Poor Brock Wright who was wide open all night but got no love from Book over the middle at all could not have been more wide open on the sit route beyond the sticks, 5 yards away from Claypool. an easy pitch and catch to Wright winds up in a 1st down and a new set of sticks. This led to a 3rd down play getting stuffed and the 4th down play where Book threw the ball too low for Finke to make a play and ND got stuffed on 4th down... Both guys were open. The decision to throw the ball before the sticks, vs to the wide open tight end beyond the sticks probably was the 1st of a couple decisions that led to ND getting shutout on that drive.... Two receivers were open. Wright was as open as a tight end gets.

I can dial up a few more if need be, but I think my points has been more than made. There were receiving options open all night. Both on plays that were not completed, for a variety of circumstances and at times there were additional receivers open on plays that were completed. Some people were acting like Chip Long's play design was awful, or that Notre Dame didn't have enough talent on the field at receiver to makes plays and get open. That's far from the truth. ND had guys open routinely in position to make plays... On a sharper night out of Ian Book, combined with Brian Kelly not mailing it in with 4+ minutes to go so as not to embarrass Louisville, ND hangs 45-52 points on that team.

He missed some reads and was sloppy at times, no doubt.

Any game you put on and watch, even its a tom brady patriots game, there will be open receivers missed. It happens every game numerous times. You gotta have time to get thru all reads and it just doesnt happen every down unless youre playing a much lower level team.

Clearly though Book had a below avrage game and needs to correct some mistakes. So does okwara and kareem and the rest of the team for that matter.

Reactions: francade
The headline is not fake news. The assertion that some people were making is that Notre Dame did not have open receivers vs Louisville....

I simply chose some plays that showed a variety of the things that both us fans and the coaches have been talking about... Here are a few more of year. Keep in mind, my post isn't about ripping Ian Book. It's about debunking the misconception that wide receivers weren't open to get the ball too. Here are a few more for you...

15:25: The first play of the second offensive series for Notre Dame. Claypool comes across the field on a crossing route and Book sees him wide open, with cushion between he and the defender chasing in him cover 1. The rest of the field is cleared out. Book makes the right read, but the defensive lineman makes a nice play, gets his hand up and tips the Book pass well high, over Claypool's head. Not Ian's fault, but not Chase's either. He was WIDE OPEN, running away from a defender and just got unlucky with the tip... But Claypool was open.

16:00: The second play of the second drive. Book gets pressure off the edge, Notre Dame's offensive line whiffs in picking it up. Claypool breaks off his route in the face of the blitz as he's expected to do and is wide open on a ball that Ian completes easily without the pressure. I'm not blaming that one on Ian. It's a completable ball, but he throws it high to get it over the Louisville defender oncoming. Neither Book or Claypool's fault... But Claypool was open.

16:40: The third play of the second drive. This play is perplexing to me. It's 3rd and 10 and Notre Dame sends 5 receivers out on routes (including the back) against Louisville's defense which drops 8 and rushes 3 defenders. There were no wide receivers immediately open on this play but what bothers me is that ND has 5 guys into pass block, vs 3 rushers and Book (likely surprised) by the 8 defenders dropping literally hits his back foot and takes off to run on a low percentage play for an attempted first down. Quarterbacks get confused in coverage all the time, that doesn't both me. What does is that he didn't even let his OL set the pocket up, or let one of his receivers work to get open, which is usually what has to be done when the opponent drops 8. It's 3rd and 10... There is no obvious running lane like on the first play of the game. 8 yards gets you nothing. Sit in the pocket for another 2 seconds with your 2 man advantage at the LOS and throw the ball high and out of bounds if nobody plays themselves open... We don't know if anybody was open. The quarterback panicked before the pocket could even develop and took off.

37:38: It's 1st and 10 and Notre Dame has a great play call on against a dropping defense. They have Chris Finke on a crossing route from the field and Kyren Williams coming out of the backfield on wheel route. If you freeze is at 37:45, you'll see how wide open both of them are. Book can throw it to either receiver and it's a great decision. He chooses Kyren, makes a perfect throw with the nearest defender 10 yards away and Williams flat drops the pass. I believe ND's only drop on the game. It should have been caught, it would have gained at least 6-7 yards and possibly a lot more. Completely on Kyren… But Williams and Finke were open.

41:22: It's 2nd and 6 and Notre Dame runs a very simple, but effective pass concept. Book Claypool wide open for what was a 4 yard gain that set up a 3rd down. Freeze it at 41:25. Poor Brock Wright who was wide open all night but got no love from Book over the middle at all could not have been more wide open on the sit route beyond the sticks, 5 yards away from Claypool. an easy pitch and catch to Wright winds up in a 1st down and a new set of sticks. This led to a 3rd down play getting stuffed and the 4th down play where Book threw the ball too low for Finke to make a play and ND got stuffed on 4th down... Both guys were open. The decision to throw the ball before the sticks, vs to the wide open tight end beyond the sticks probably was the 1st of a couple decisions that led to ND getting shutout on that drive.... Two receivers were open. Wright was as open as a tight end gets.

I can dial up a few more if need be, but I think my points has been more than made. There were receiving options open all night. Both on plays that were not completed, for a variety of circumstances and at times there were additional receivers open on plays that were completed. Some people were acting like Chip Long's play design was awful, or that Notre Dame didn't have enough talent on the field at receiver to makes plays and get open. That's far from the truth. ND had guys open routinely in position to make plays... On a sharper night out of Ian Book, combined with Brian Kelly not mailing it in with 4+ minutes to go so as not to embarrass Louisville, ND hangs 45-52 points on that team.

I know you mentioned this in another thread, but I think Book's 2nd fumble at the 1:02:30 mark deserves another mention here even though you can't see the receivers. There's some pressure but a clean pocket. All he has to do is step up in the pocket and look downfield. Instead, he decides to take off right away, cuts back inside despite one defender and open grass on the left side, and then fumbles the ball when he runs into his own guy. I think that was clearly his worst play of the game. The reason it fits with this thread is that we can't blame receivers for their play if Book isn't stepping up in a clean pocket and looking downfield.

How is it BK's fault?

He's the head coach.

He's very involved with the Quarterback position.

He's got the final decision on personnel.

Brandon Wimbush couldn't hit the ocean throwing from the pier.

He stuck with Brandon Wimbush for 17 starts.

If he didn't know Wimbush would never suddenly be an accurate QB then shame on him for 6 weeks.

Ian Book himself has to execute but if he's not then it's Brian Kelly's responsibility to find someone who will

Another ridiculously stupid post. "Find someone who will" ... yeah like all the 5*'s are just lining up to go to ND. You do realize that these kids are students. Or are you suggesting we just pay them more?? You should probably follow Sunday football or at the very least another college team. The negativity by you and many others on this board is disgusting. Its the first game of the damn season and we won by 18!!!

Reactions: nemeth#5

Any game you put on and watch, even its a tom brady patriots game, there will be open receivers missed. It happens every game numerous times. You gotta have time to get thru all reads and it just doesnt happen every down unless youre playing a much lower level team.

Clearly though Book had a below avrage game and needs to correct some mistakes. So does okwara and kareem and the rest of the team for that matter.
He had a below average game for a returning power 5 team..... he had an abomination of a game for a top ten team against an awful D.... Lawrence was bad too. Difference is Lawrence just needs to get back to being himself, book still needs to correct same issues from last year

My point wasn't about Ian Book. I think he'll play a lot better in game 2. I'm not worried about that. My point was that pass catchers were open. Some thought that ND couldn't scheme them open or that they weren't talented enough to get open... That's simply not true.

Reactions: rgc7 and Kelso86

Irishmike is correct Your are an animal....in the most positive sense.
Your passion to go to these extremes on a free board are extraordinary and most appreciated.
Are you a ghost writer on the side for a sports publication lol?
As a fan of the game i take things to what looks to be face value as i guess most fans do.
Thank you for what you do but at some point i hope you can just sit back a enjoy a game.

Reactions: nemeth#5 and rgc7
“He missed some reads and was sloppy at times, no doubt.

Clearly though Book had a below avrage game and needs to correct some mistakes. So does okwara and kareem and the rest of the team for that matter.”

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had to wait to respond to all the negativity until I watched it again. I’ve only gotten through the first half and the knee jerking is at an all time high and the book bashing is in midsession form. This BS notion that he had clean pockets all night is a load of crap. Did he leave a couple times too early maybe? Sure, but pass protection sucked for most of the night. Playcalling was atrocious again. The only group that came to play was the wrs/tes. The only drop was Williams swing pass. The oline opened either a gaping hole or zero hole and the gaping holes were mostly early on. The thing that worries me is that he’s lost his pinpoint accuracy on some throws that he virtually didn’t miss until Clemson. Keys’ hand catch was behind him, same w/ claypool on the other side same play where he made a nice hands catch. And the killer is the low ball to finke (even though I think he could’ve stopped, caught it and turned up for the extra yard), but that was an easy one that he missed. He had at least 5 throwaways and 1 drop. He ended up 14-23. Factor in throwaways and the 1 drop and he’s 14-17. There was one clean pocket and time to throw and he threw a td to tremble. The only other times that he missed someone breaking free was when he looked at claypool first to the left and by the time he comes off of him, the blitzer is right in his face and he misses wright wide open. If he looks Wright’s way first, it’s a big play. The other one was when he hit claypool on a crossing route and it’s a big gain but had he waited a split second longer, he may have been able to hit finke on a post for a td. What I find funny is that some here think they can see wrs running wide open on tv which is total 100% BS. Multiple times the announcer said that there was no one open yet we have the usual bashers telling us there were wrs running wide open all night downfield if he just stays in the pocket. That’s BS on two fronts, the protection was mostly shit, and for the most part, there weren’t wrs “running open all night”. He’s pressing no doubt, but once again, his play is being overly criticized, IMO. By all means though book bashers, keep up the scrutiny by citing plays where he could’ve done better. Must be a great way to watch your team, hoping for the qb to fail so you can run and cite plays where he screwed up. What a sad way to watch your team. We scored 35 points and had at least 4 series where playcalling completely stymied the offense. All in all, not a great game but certainly not the “hot garbage” that the usual suspects here try to peddle.

Reactions: Kelso86
Book needed to improve pocket presence and stepping into/pushing the ball downfield.

He was miserable at those two things vs Louisville. Kelly said it, Book himself said it, every analyst said it, if you watched the game objectively you saw it. The throw he made to tremble was there 5-10 other times. He was miserable in the pocket. If there was a wall he was fine, if there was people trying to actually get to him, he panicked when his first read right away wasn't there.

This isn't a debatable topic. It's been proven through video analysis and all sorts of reviews from unbiased people.

That’s on Book.

The coach doesn't share the blame? … he has had 4 years to coach this kid and sent the previous starter packing in favor of this guy. All QB's have historically got worse under BK ….. not some of them …. all of them. Not to mention BK hired a QB coach for Book who had ZERO experience. How is that Book's fault?

“He was miserable at those two things vs Louisville. Kelly said it, Book himself said it, every analyst said it, if you watched the game objectively you saw it. The throw he made to tremble was there 5-10 other times. He was miserable in the pocket. If there was a wall he was fine, if there was people trying to actually get to him, he panicked when his first read right away wasn't there.”

I clearly said he left the pocket a few times early but I disagree that it was anywhere near 10 times. We hardly threw the ball and seemed to pick the wrong first down to throw it virtually every time. L’ville was ready on at least 4 first down passes forcing throw aways. Give their pressure credit, they blitzed a lot and it’s tough for an oline to stop all of them. More concerned w/ his accuracy on a few balls that are his forte, and even though the fumbles were somewhat fluky and only one ended up a turnover, he’s gotta be more careful w/ the ball.

Bryan has up the 22 tape & breakdown.

It shows all 22 players on the field from above, pre & post snap, & what the plays are & each persons’ assignment.

It’s interesting how much ND left on the field because of not seeing open receivers. But also, the receivers not running good routes all the time too.

Is there a way to see the ‘22 tape’ without a premium membership?

There is football and then there's football. I really appreciate the time you take to review game film.
Can book see the open receivers in that 2-3 second window or is he just looking through 6'5" linemen?
Sounds like he has a problem looking at more than just his primary receiver.
They have a couple of extra practices to work him out and get more into his progressions.
So, I am saying he will improve his passing game and the 2nd and 3rd quarters against New Mexico will be a good time to work it out.

Is there a way to see the ‘22 tape’ without a premium membership?

I don’t know?

If you listen to the free podcast, they go over some of it (obviously you can’t see it), but they tell you the formations & playcalls, then what each person should be doing. And who is open, what the blocking responsibilities are, etc... Then if you put the game on & watch you can see exactly what they are talking about.
There are 5-6 great examples they highlight & why some were big plays & others that weren’t should have been.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT