ADVERTISEMENT

Does Pyne Transfer

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
It looks like BK has found his rotation for the year even though Coan had a rough first half he got the nod over Pyne when TB got hurt. It was the right move being Coan looked like Montana out there.
It is unfortunate for him the get stuck in the middle of a fifth year grad transfer and the future ND QB who has a ton of potential. I said this before it might be a good idea to pick up a another QB this cycle because I do not see Pyne sticking around nobody knows what you are going to get out of Clark. Pyne seems like a good kid and football is a funny game here is to hoping he sticks it out.

Reactions: TOMMY_23 and 4-4-3
Put yourself in his shoes… both QBs played below average most of the game, and they don’t even give him a chance. I would be offended if I were him.
Only chance with Conan and this OL is quick passes… hopefully our inept OC will learn that at some point.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Put yourself in his shoes… both QBs played below average most of the game, and they don’t even give him a chance. I would be offended if I were him.
Only chance with Conan and this OL is quick passes… hopefully our inept OC will learn that at some point.
This is a laughable analysis.... Clamoring for a backup because he had two bright spots is silly. You don't see him practice. The only thing he has going for him is that he's more elusive in the pocket than coan.

Stronger arm? Coan
More accurate? Coan
More elusive? Pyne

If the oline gets marginally better coan becomes a significant upgrade to Pyne.

Fans clamoring for this guy reek of the fans clamoring for Tommy Rees, Malik Zaire, Brandon wimbush, and Ian book.

And within weeks the same fans were whining about the change.

Let's let the season play out first. With our OL, more injuries could happen and he could find himself on the field again at some point.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It looks like BK has found his rotation for the year even though Coan had a rough first half he got the nod over Pyne when TB got hurt. It was the right move being Coan looked like Montana out there.
It is unfortunate for him the get stuck in the middle of a fifth year grad transfer and the future ND QB who has a ton of potential. I said this before it might be a good idea to pick up a another QB this cycle because I do not see Pyne sticking around nobody knows what you are going to get out of Clark. Pyne seems like a good kid and football is a funny game here is to hoping he sticks it out.
Coan got the nod because he has the experience!

Already enrolling at USC today and could play against us in two weeks. :eek:

SHOULD EVERY PLAYER WHO DOESN‘T START TRANSFER ? ? ?

OH, I FORGOT, IT’S THE ENTITLEMENT GENERATION.
Hey, they are just playing by the rules. These kids came to play not sit on a bench. I see you're not above taking them so you cannot be upset when they leave.

It might be to his benefit to see if Morgan or Nico commit. They way TB runs around with reckless abandonment Pyne is one play away from starting with limited competition.

This is a laughable analysis.... Clamoring for a backup because he had two bright spots is silly. You don't see him practice. The only thing he has going for him is that he's more elusive in the pocket than coan.

Stronger arm? Coan
More accurate? Coan
More elusive? Pyne

Fans clamoring for this guy reek of the fans clamoring for Tommy Rees, Malik Zaire, Brandon wimbush, and Ian book.

Poor take. Kid deserves a shot. He bailed us out against Wisco and outside of some drops and poor coaching, he might have beat CIN even with the little time he had. I hope he transfers, deserves better than what this joke of a coaching staff can give him.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Poor take. Kid deserves a shot. He bailed us out against Wisco and outside of some drops and poor coaching, he might have beat CIN even with the little time he had. I hope he transfers, deserves better than what this joke of a coaching staff can give him.
Rooting for a kid to leave. Some fan you are. Go root for BC.

“Deserves better”? Get real. He has a full scholarship to Notre Dame. He can very very easily parlay that into $30M+ in earnings in the business world.

I like Drew Pyne a lot. He had a chance to win the job, but didn’t. He’s likely a backup. When he plays, I’ll do nothing but support and root for him.

Hey, they are just playing by the rules. These kids came to play not sit on a bench. I see you're not above taking them so you cannot be upset when they leave.
Only 11 guys start on offense and defense, so if you don’t start, you transfer ?
that’s your position.

Hey, I’ll give you another example.

The high school kids who are tops in their class enter Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and shockingly 50 % of them are now in the bottom half of their class.

SHOULD THEY TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COLLEGE WHERE THEY WOULD BE IN THE TOP HALF ?

No one is “entitled” to start !

YOU HAVE TO EARN IT !

Reactions: RewIrish52 and rgc7
“Deserves better”? Get real. He has a full scholarship to Notre Dame. He can very very easily parlay that into $30M+ in earnings in the business world.

I like Drew Pyne a lot. He had a chance to win the job, but didn’t. He’s likely a backup. When he plays, I’ll do nothing but support and root for him.
He does deserve better from a coaching stand point bud. Stop trying to acting like the ND degree is the only reason he is their.

Rooting for a kid to leave. Some fan you are. Go root for BC.
Not rooting for him to leave because I think he has the tools to win. Kelly doesn’t value him so why should he waste his talent. If he was your kid would you be ok with what’s going on?

Not rooting for him to leave because I think he has the tools to win. Kelly doesn’t value him so why should he waste his talent. If he was your kid would you be ok with what’s going on?
You could say that for virtually every kid that's not playing. Every parent thinks their kid is the best.

Reactions: rgc7
You could say that for virtually every kid that's not playing. Every parent thinks their kid is the best.
One thing to say it and another to actually watch your kid come in and perform on par or better than the other kids I. Front of him.

Drew will stick, regardless of who starts next year. Tyler has been hurt twice already this year. Drew will get his changes and he will be ready.

Do we know -- is Clark ever coming back?

It’s the main reason he’s there. Was a long shot for Pyne to get to NFL. Book barely made it, and he ain’t we good as Book.

I suspect that Pyne will at least want his ND degree. So even you're a cynic I would expect to be on the team for 2022.... but after that I could easily see him transferring. Why wouldn't he? If Buchner is fully entrenched, which he presumably will be, and he's got his degree plus two seasons left, I'd probably transfer in that situation.

I'm assuming that Pyne is on the three year graduation track......

It’s very simple, he’ll compete for the job next year.

On what basis do you compare Pyne and Buchner ?

Are you at practice every day ?

Stronger arm? Coan
More accurate? Coan
More elusive? Pyne

Two phenomena at work here:

• An old ND tradition – PLEASE PLAY THE MESSIAH BACKUP QB. HE’S REALLY A MIRACLE WORKER IN CLEATS AND A SHINY GOLD HELMET.
  • Grievance culture arrives at ND with Drew Pyne as DESIGNATED VICTIM.
And, of course, both BELIEFS are predicated on the fallacious notion of “IF ONLY THE COACH KNEW WHAT I KNOW.”

I don’t care which of the three plays as long as there are wins. They all have value, but NECESSITY and CHANCE will also play a role.

And while they’ve all had their bright spots and lowlights, unless one of them emerges at a consistently high enough level, there will most likely be more shuffling.

So what?

Kelly will go with whom he thinks will give the team the best chance to win and if his reasoning proves wrong, he will yank the guy for one of the other two. And there may be more upside to this than not. Lacking a star QB, three decent ones may prove to be more of an asset than a liability.

Winning is what matters, not which one of these guys plays. And next season is NEXT SEASON.

Let me ask the Pyne advocates this: If Pyne had completed 28 of 32 passes for 4 TD’s but ND lost the game, would you have preferred that result? Would the cost of a lost game been an acceptable price to have been "PROVEN RIGHT"?

And that question goes as well to fundamentalist Coan and Buchner boosters.

I assure you, Kelly would not have traded for an AA performance by ANY of them in return for losing that game.

We’re taught by the media that football is a kind of QUARTERBACK AS GOD CULT, but, in fact, it’s a TEAM GAME.

Stronger arm? Coan
More accurate? Coan
More elusive? Pyne

And this is a laughable reaction to that analysis. We don't see Pyne in practice but we have seen him in games. If BK didn't want people clamoring for the backup in this instance maybe he shouldn't have put Pyne in against Wiscy and Cinci so that we couldn't see him executing scoring drives and outperforming Coan. Coan's issues have mostly been a product of his skillset not jiving with a poor OL, and that's mostly not his fault - but some of it has been.

And you left out 2 other advantages Pyne has shown over Coan - he has a quicker release and appears to handle pressure situations better. Those 2 things, along with his running ability, have been the reasons the offense has been more efficient when he's in there.

Coan and the offense were anemic in the 1st quarter. We were seeing pretty much the same things we've been seeing the last few games. Without the switch to Buchner, we likely would have lost. But then when Buchner struggled in the 2nd half, if we didn't switch back to Coan we also probably would have lost (Buchner's injury certainly helped prompt that decision). So credit BK and staff for making some of the necessary changes to facilitate the win.

But make no mistake - BK was full of crap when he said he was committed to not playing the flavor of the week the rest of the way. He played the flavor of the moment within one game as long as one of those flavors didn't include Pyne... and it worked out. But anyone who has been watching this offense over the last several weeks has to wonder, would the offense have been as anemic to start the game if Pyne had started? Would there have been as many ups and downs within the game?

Pyne hasn't been lights out this season, but he had been more efficient at running the offense during the significant parts of games when we've seen him. He certainly has done enough to warrant more consideration than what he got yesterday.

But hey, we won. My and other fans' and analysts' complaints won't amount to anything.

But I will end with this. Coan and the offense clicked once we were forced to go uptempo and run a more wide-open offense. The same thing happened at the end of the Toledo game. Spreading out and using tempo seems to help Coan tremendously. Hopefully, we will see a lot more of that. BK and Rees need to, once and for all, commit to calling games to cater to each QB's strengths rather than forcing them to do what they want them to do.

Two phenomena at work here:

• An old ND tradition – PLEASE PLAY THE MESSIAH BACKUP QB. HE’S REALLY A MIRACLE WORKER IN CLEATS AND A SHINY GOLD HELMET.
  • Grievance culture arrives at ND with Drew Pyne as DESIGNATED VICTIM.
And, of course, both BELIEFS are predicated on the fallacious notion of “IF ONLY THE COACH KNEW WHAT I KNOW.”

I don’t care which of the three plays as long as there are wins. They all have value, but NECESSITY and CHANCE will also play a role.

And while they’ve all had their bright spots and lowlights, unless one of them emerges at a consistently high enough level, there will most likely be more shuffling.

So what?

Kelly will go with whom he thinks will give the team the best chance to win and if his reasoning proves wrong, he will yank the guy for one of the other two. And there may be more upside to this than not. Lacking a star QB, three decent ones may prove to be more of an asset than a liability.

Winning is what matters, not which one of these guys plays. And next season is NEXT SEASON.

Let me ask the Pyne advocates this: If Pyne had completed 28 of 32 passes for 4 TD’s but ND lost the game, would you have preferred that result? Would the cost of a lost game been an acceptable price to have been "PROVEN RIGHT"?

And that question goes as well to fundamentalist Coan and Buchner boosters.

I assure you, Kelly would not have traded for an AA performance by ANY of them in return for losing that game.

We’re taught by the media that football is a kind of QUARTERBACK AS GOD CULT, but, in fact, it’s a TEAM GAME.
👍

And this is a laughable reaction to that analysis. We don't see Pyne in practice but we have seen him in games. If BK didn't want people clamoring for the backup in this instance maybe he shouldn't have put Pyne in against Wiscy and Cinci so that we couldn't see him executing scoring drives and outperforming Coan. Coan's issues have mostly been a product of his skillset not jiving with a poor OL, and that's mostly not his fault - but some of it has been.

And you left out 2 other advantages Pyne has shown over Coan - he has a quicker release and appears to handle pressure situations better. Those 2 things, along with his running ability, have been the reasons the offense has been more efficient when he's in there.

Coan and the offense were anemic in the 1st quarter. We were seeing pretty much the same things we've been seeing the last few games. Without the switch to Buchner, we likely would have lost. But then when Buchner struggled in the 2nd half, if we didn't switch back to Coan we also probably would have lost (Buchner's injury certainly helped prompt that decision). So credit BK and staff for making some of the necessary changes to facilitate the win.

But make no mistake - BK was full of crap when he said he was committed to not playing the flavor of the week the rest of the way. He played the flavor of the moment within one game as long as one of those flavors didn't include Pyne... and it worked out. But anyone who has been watching this offense over the last several weeks has to wonder, would the offense have been as anemic to start the game if Pyne had started? Would there have been as many ups and downs within the game?

Pyne hasn't been lights out this season, but he had been more efficient at running the offense during the significant parts of games when we've seen him. He certainly has done enough to warrant more consideration than what he got yesterday.

But hey, we won. My and other fans' and analysts' complaints won't amount to anything.

But I will end with this. Coan and the offense clicked once we were forced to go uptempo and run a more wide-open offense. The same thing happened at the end of the Toledo game. Spreading out and using tempo seems to help Coan tremendously. Hopefully, we will see a lot more of that. BK and Rees need to, once and for all, commit to calling games to cater to each QB's strengths rather than forcing them to do what they want them to do.
Against Cincinnati Pyne was 9 for 22 for a CP of 40.9 %

For the season, 15 for 30 for 50 %

How does that tranlate into promoting him to the starting QB ?

Again, he is the best fit we have and has saved some games for us. Deserves a shot.

Also go ahead and overlook the drops and balls that should have been caught. You factor that in he is around 20 - 30. But you do you bud.

Again, he is the best fit we have and has saved some games for us. Deserves a shot.
How is he the best shot, he’s 15 for 30 for 50 %.

Coan is 100 for 162 for 62 %.

That’s too big of a gap to ignore.

Also go ahead and overlook the drops and balls that should have been caught. You factor that in he is around 20 - 30. But you do you bud.
If I add in Coan’s drops the gap becomes wider.

If I add in Coan’s drops the gap becomes wider.
Coan has had his shot so your sample comparison doesn’t work dude. He has had more chances and we lose to VT and wisco if he starts the whole game. Keep hanging on to
Your stats tho lmao.

As you love to do, Pat, you are cherrypicking. I never claimed Pyne's stats clearly state "starter" to anyone who might be looking at stats. What I said is he's been more effective with the offense than Coan. Coan certainly hasn't done anything to indicate he is clearly the best option to start at QB either. Pyne has a better QBR than Coan. And, since Pyne and Coan have been the only 2 realistic options to be the starter, I think the guy who's been more efficient with the offense should at least be given a chance to start over the guy who has been less efficient and has struggled over the last few games. If nothing else, the guy who has twice been able to provide a spark in our two biggest games probably shouldn't be the guy to be completely taken out of the QB equation IMO.

Also, I'm not the one who said ND needs to stop going with the flavor of the week. BK said that and then he promptly ignored what he said and went with the flavor of the moment within the very next game, which was OK because it worked, but it doesn't make sense that Pyne was completely eliminated from the flavor sample.

That's my take. But you'll probably focus on the 50% completion percentage and pretend that's all that matters.

Reactions: VTND
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT