ADVERTISEMENT

DC rumor

Heacock won't be coaching much longer and expectations are considerably higher at ND.

That's likely why he's not moving.

The optics of everything just suck right now. Needed to move on these hires sooner. Now they are out recruiting with 2 major question marks on staff and still have to explain Elston

Hopefully Freeman can close 2 better coaches than lost

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
The optics of everything just suck right now. Needed to move on these hires sooner. Now they are out recruiting with 2 major question marks on staff and still have to explain Elston

Hopefully Freeman can close 2 better coaches than lost
The Optics suck?
Foskey, the twins, Patterson are coming back
Snagged an All American Safety
#1 Recruiting class for 2023. Man things look bleak.

So, since we know who ND is not getting, is anyone hearing of potential targets (other than message board wish lists)?

I don't understand the hold up on this. We are either not finding anyone that wants the job or there is nobody good enough to do it.

I don't understand the hold up on this. We are either not finding anyone that wants the job or there is nobody good enough to do it.
"We are either not finding anyone that wants the job or there is nobody good enough to do it"

Could be a combination of both ..

Al Golden still in playoffs. Yet if Marcus wants to run his specific defense it may be difficult to find top experienced DC’s. As somebody suggested perhaps he will train someone in house. Since defense is his suit I can see him wanting more control over that position coach. I’m sure he picks a great fit for program.

Al Golden still in playoffs. Yet if Marcus wants to run his specific defense it may be difficult to find top experienced DC’s. As somebody suggested perhaps he will train someone in house. Since defense is his suit I can see him wanting more control over that position coach. I’m sure he picks a great fit for program.
I can see him hiring Nick Lezynski full time and MF still calling the plays next year

Reactions: REMND
I am not an Al Golden fan but it could be a good hire. A veteran coach with HC experiencing, could be a good associate HC.

Bingo. It may be like Kelly 1.0 finding an OC yes-man.

Reactions: Kelso86
has to be someone available, capable and someone MF is comfortable with.

has to be someone available, capable and someone MF is comfortable with.
Anyone is available for the right price. My concern is Jack and ND are getting cheap. Have to imagine he got a huge bargain with MF as HC. There was no incentive to pay him much; he was going to take the job regardless of the paycheck. Now we also don't have to drop $2 million on MF anymore as D coordinator. Some reports had BK making about $5-6 million per year (probably even more than that). No chance MF is getting anywhere near that right now. So we are saving a lot of $$ lately. Based on the amount of money we are saving, we could easily be the highest paying team for a DC in the country if we felt like it.

Mike Tressel, Derek Mason, John Heacock should all be easy for ND to get. With our defensive recruting and current players, it's a DCs dream job. My guess is we were too cheap for Heacock. There really is no other explanation.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishBeer
I read an article (I think it was in The Athletic) saying that part of the complication in hiring a new DC has been that Marcus Freeman wants the new DC to basically stick with the existing defensive scheme, so that the players don't have to start from scratch and learn a whole new defensive system (including different terminology) before the next season. In other words, the new DC will have to adapt to the players, instead of vice versa. While that sounds logical to me, perhaps that is what is making the search process more painstaking.

Anyone is available for the right price. My concern is Jack and ND are getting cheap. Have to imagine he got a huge bargain with MF as HC. There was no incentive to pay him much; he was going to take the job regardless of the paycheck. Now we also don't have to drop $2 million on MF anymore as D coordinator. Some reports had BK making about $5-6 million per year (probably even more than that). No chance MF is getting anywhere near that right now. So we are saving a lot of $$ lately. Based on the amount of money we are saving, we could easily be the highest paying team for a DC in the country if we felt like it.

Mike Tressel, Derek Mason, John Heacock should all be easy for ND to get. With our defensive recruting and current players, it's a DCs dream job. My guess is we were too cheap for Heacock. There really is no other explanation.
MF is getting paid over $6mill. in total compensation so not getting MF at a bargain. You and Nasty are consistently wrong. Are you related?

It’s now being rumored that Derek Mason is in talks to fill the DC vacancy at Oklahoma State.

"Mike Tressel, Derek Mason, John Heacock should all be easy for ND to get"

Heacock WANTS to stay at ISU (I know this as a good friend of mine went to college with him and also had his brother as the HC and keeps in constant contact with both -- also got a little boost for staying). While he would probably be a natural fit, he is comfortable where he is. Cannot fault him for that.

As far as the other 2 -- don't know much about them, but, as much as we think it is, ND IS NOT everyone's dream job.

"Mike Tressel, Derek Mason, John Heacock should all be easy for ND to get"

Heacock WANTS to stay at ISU (I know this as a good friend of mine went to college with him and also had his brother as the HC and keeps in constant contact with both -- also got a little boost for staying). While he would probably be a natural fit, he is comfortable where he is. Cannot fault him for that.

As far as the other 2 -- don't know much about them, but, as much as we think it is, ND IS NOT everyone's dream job.
BS. If either of them want to become head coaches, ND is the launching pad for that. Cincy and Houston are not. We also could likely pay them more than a million dollars more per year.

It might be time to look to the NFL. Michigan had a lot of success doing that. With our defensive recruiting, it couldn't hurt to have a young up and coming DC with a lot of experience in the League. A sexy hire as they say, someone that would garner a lot of buzz. I'd also love to see ND make a similar hire with a quarterbacks coach with ties to the NFL. Let Rees call plays, let someone else recruit and develop QB's.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishBeer
BS. If either of them want to become head coaches, ND is the launching pad for that. Cincy and Houston are not. We also could likely pay them more than a million dollars more per year.

It might be time to look to the NFL. Michigan had a lot of success doing that. With our defensive recruiting, it couldn't hurt to have a young up and coming DC with a lot of experience in the League. A sexy hire as they say, someone that would garner a lot of buzz. I'd also love to see ND make a similar hire with a quarterbacks coach with ties to the NFL. Let Rees call plays, let someone else recruit and develop QB's.
I agree the ND brand is good but I wouldn't say it is a launching pad. Below is a list of the ND assistants that went to HC in the past 12 years

Charlie Molnar - UMASS
Brian Polian - Nevada
Bob Diaco - UCONN
Mike Sanford - Western Kentucky
Autry Denson - Charleston Southern
Clark Lea - Vanderbilt

The most successful was probably Polian but that is because of his success as ST coordinator and recruiter not head coach. At least of those guys didn't coach this past season.

The only other assistant that I can think of that became a HC in that time was Matt Lefluer. He spent one year as a QB coach at ND and then spent time with 3 different NFL teams before becoming a HC.

Marcus Freeman got a 6 year deal for 42 million.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT