ADVERTISEMENT

DC rumor

Classic Irish

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 26, 2005
TIFWIW:

At defensive coordinator, Iowa State veteran defensive play-caller Jon Heacock has emerged as a priority target for the Irish’s top defensive position. Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Heacock spent Tuesday in South Bend, Indiana, on the Notre Dame campus.

Heacock is a native of the Midwest, originally from Ohio, and a former head coach at former Football Championship Subdivision power Youngstown State. Heacock has spent the past six seasons with Matt Campbell at Iowa State, where Heacock has carved a reputation as one of college football’s great tacticians – especially as the Cyclones have leveled the playing field for their program in the Big 12 despite oftentimes not having the same depth of talent as the Oklahomas and Texases in the league.

Looks like we are not getting a single big time coach at any position despite the fake excitement created.. Every one of these coaches hired is moving up no lateral or down moves..

Love the all-ologists on this site. Football geniuses every single one. They know more than the coaches.

I love the Stuckey hire. He was chosen over JaMarcus Sherpard who would have been a solid choice. Marcus, Tommy and Jack saw something in Chansi. His Baylor WR was their highest rated recruit last year... The Baylor board is melting down over losing him.

Oh, and so did Dabo (who they reached out to for advice) -- this is what he said about our new WR coach when he was younger:

“I’ve never enjoyed coaching a player more than Chansi,” Swinney added. “He’s probably the smartest player I ever coached. Chansi has been special his whole life. I never saw him have a bad day in three years.”

Heacock:

In 2021, Heacock’s defense was second in the Big 12 and ninth nationally in total defense at 310.5, only allowing two teams to amass 350 yards of offense en route to the school’s lowest total defensive output since 1984.

ISU also equaled its season record for sacks (33) and ranked ninth in the nation in passing defense (187.8) in 2021.

Top ten in two crucial stats in the most offensive minded conference in the country.

Love the all-ologists on this site. Football geniuses every single one. They know more than the coaches.

I love the Stuckey hire. He was chosen over JaMarcus Sherpard who would have been a solid choice. Marcus, Tommy and Jack saw something in Chansi. His Baylor WR was their highest rated recruit last year... The Baylor board is melting down over losing him.

Oh, and so did Dabo (who they reached out to for advice) -- this is what he said about our new WR coach when he was younger:

“I’ve never enjoyed coaching a player more than Chansi,” Swinney added. “He’s probably the smartest player I ever coached. Chansi has been special his whole life. I never saw him have a bad day in three years.”
I assume you’re responding to the other poster, I’m not sure what he wrote (he’s on my ignore list), but just ignore him—-he’s an attention-starved troll masquerading as an ND fan (like a few others on this board).

Thanks Classic, I was just tired of all the negative comments on stuckey! (I know it is a board and that is what guys do... thanks for posting on Heacock (pronounced Haycock, I just learned) I was luke warm on him but your post got me looking around and now I'm all in, if he is the guy...

I imagine he's licking his chops -- when he sees the kind of athletes Marcus is bringing in!

Thanks Classic, I was just tired of all the negative comments on stuckey! (I know it is a board and that is what guys do... thanks for posting on Heacock (pronounced Haycock, I just learned) I was luke warm on him but your post got me looking around and now I'm all in, if he is the guy...

I imagine he's licking his chops -- when he sees the kind of athletes Marcus is bringing in!
Interesting complete opposite hires …

no name starting coaching career and guy around the block ending coaching career

Interesting complete opposite hires …

no name starting coaching career and guy around the block ending coaching career
Yup an up and comer, smart, motivated, someone about to take off in the coaching ranks, who will recruit the heck out of a position of need (think Dabo at Clemson when he coached WRs) and an experienced proven coach whose defenses have shined the last five years and whose defense (mostly peopled by 2* and 3* recruits have been top tier in a offensive minded devision) was a top ten (#9) defense nationally last year. A guy who will give a young coaches' room stability and experience. Nice. D Mason's Auburn defense (a guy people are touting) was #61 in total defense.

Last edited:
I also like Mike Tressel but it seems he is staying put... Still, if the last week has taught us anything - it isn't over until the announcement is made.

Reactions: Kelso86
Looks like we are not getting a single big time coach at any position despite the fake excitement created.. Every one of these coaches hired is moving up no lateral or down moves..
Huh ? HH is one of the most respected guys in the business. What o line coach is more " big time " than him ? Excellent staffs are all about " fit" just like players are.

Heacock is the coach who devised the 3-3-5 defense that many programs are now running. When he did coaches were travelling to Ames to learn from him. There are a few good articles about this.

Reactions: IrishMike409
"Looks like we are not getting a single big time coach at any position despite the fake excitement created.. Every one of these coaches hired is moving up no lateral or down moves.."

Because you are SO knowledgeable on who ND should hire??? There were people who scoffed at Elko (coming from "Wake Forest"), people who scoffed at Lea (being a 1st time DC) -- Harry H is widely respected -- and was at ND prior! Heacock I believe devised the 3-3-5 that many schools are running (or variations of it -- similar to Meyer when he began runnimg the spread offense -- many people began to copy it and make slight variations of it).

Last edited:
Heacock seems like a home run hire. Former head coach that can almost mentor Freeman, really teaches the game, excellent track record at Iowa State. This seems like a perfect compliment to Freeman's recruiting.

If the Iowa State message boards are true, Heacock doesn't have head coaching ambitions, so he's not going to bolt after 1-2 seasons. Impressive hire if it happens.

If ND gets JH, they will be getting one of the best defensive minds in CFB

Heacock seems like a home run hire. Former head coach that can almost mentor Freeman, really teaches the game, excellent track record at Iowa State. This seems like a perfect compliment to Freeman's recruiting.

If the Iowa State message boards are true, Heacock doesn't have head coaching ambitions, so he's not going to bolt after 1-2 seasons. Impressive hire if it happens.
Freeman & JH were on staff together so there is a strong connection

Heacock is the coach who devised the 3-3-5 defense that many programs are now running. When he did coaches were travelling to Ames to learn from him. There are a few good articles about this.
Clemson, Ole Miss, and Ohio St have brought JH and staff in for sharing of ideas, and Saban recently reached out for the same opportunity

Heacock:

In 2021, Heacock’s defense was second in the Big 12 and ninth nationally in total defense at 310.5, only allowing two teams to amass 350 yards of offense en route to the school’s lowest total defensive output since 1984.

ISU also equaled its season record for sacks (33) and ranked ninth in the nation in passing defense (187.8) in 2021.

Top ten in two crucial stats in the most offensive minded conference in the country.
All this with less talent than an ND. THINK ABOUT THAT!

Not really as he will be retired in less than 3 years

UM -- what are you talking about? Did you even understand what I was talking about -- when I said he will earn his keep quickly -- if you took a moment and looked at next year's schedule -- the opener is at Ohio State -- who will in all likelihood be ranked inside the top 3 in all pre-season polls -- not an easy way to begin a new spot --

It just seems weird to accept that Heacock is such a great DC but got shredded by Tommy Rees in his first game calling plays with worst of all Ian Book quarterbacking?

It just seems weird to accept that Heacock is such a great DC but got shredded by Tommy Rees in his first game calling plays with worst of all Ian Book quarterbacking?

We’ve had a lot of supposed greats at the time. A good number get fired.

UM -- what are you talking about? Did you even understand what I was talking about -- when I said he will earn his keep quickly -- if you took a moment and looked at next year's schedule -- the opener is at Ohio State -- who will in all likelihood be ranked inside the top 3 in all pre-season polls -- not an easy way to begin a new spot --
I believe he was in to help a guy he used to mentor. He is not coming to South Bend for a position on staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT