ADVERTISEMENT

Carr is Irish!

My understanding is that he is currently not planning on it, but the school and CJ are exploring it as a potential possibility.

Man I sure hope he does. That extra year of practice working with receivers and Rees, Balis, learning the offense, getting chummy with the college teammates, getting acquainted to classes, etc. would build him into a very different beast than Saline HS. I’d be torn, as you never get your senior year back, he might have friend and girlfriend pressures, etc, but his career as ND QB of the future would see a huge boost if he did. And a lot of people reported that he was held back a year for athletics, so going in early would actually put him on pace.

Driskell didn't say that. Stop making things up
Yes, he did. Watch yesterdays show. He said, CJ has done some summer classes so he can explore reclassifying. I doubt that’s true as school just got out. If anything, he meant he’s signed up for them.

Rivals is wrong--He is a total 5* in every way and top twenty. They are poor evaluators.
hmmm, let’s see if the worm turns ? PJ was a darling for a time! Golson and Wimbush were saviors! Hope the kid has thick skin!

A lifelong Michigan legacy will come to Notre Dame to be coached by an Ohio State graduate.

"A lifelong Michigan legacy will come to Notre Dame to be coached by an Ohio State graduate. "

Woody and Bo are having nightmares and drinking heavily! lol

Very hard-to judge these kids; especially when the kid is essentially a Soph in H.S. Movement of star rating if any is usually based upon additional data, continued development and the other kids in the class. Some kids will move up and that means some kids move down. There is a long way to go with current H.S. jrs.

He must be good, one of my buddies who is a Die Hard Michigan fan reached out to me to say we got a good one and nobody is happy about it or G-Pa donning the hat.

We have an agreement, we do not talk about ND or Michigan to remain friends. So its something unheard of for him to send me that note.

Yes, he did. Watch yesterdays show. He said, CJ has done some summer classes so he can explore reclassifying. I doubt that’s true as school just got out. If anything, he meant he’s signed up for them.
No he didn't. He said CJ doesn't plan on reclassifying but he has taken summer classes and both parties have had initial conversations about it but as of now he has no plans of it

He also had CJ on himself and others who have talked to him, he said he plans on staying in hs till 24

I did not get the sense that Driskell shut down any possibility of it completely. Not at all. I think it’s more likely he EE’s, which is fine as the staff must feel good about Buchner.

Driskell didn't say that. Stop making things up

Hmm. It’s seems we interpreted this differently. I got 0 sense that Driskell was shutting it down. Usually when he shuts down rumors, he’s quite frank.

hmmm, let’s see if the worm turns ? PJ was a darling for a time! Golson and Wimbush were saviors! Hope the kid has thick skin!
"darling, saviors..." I have followed Notre Dame Football and recruiting for quite awhile.

This narrative is simply false.

Hmm. It’s seems we interpreted this differently. I got 0 sense that Driskell was shutting it down. Usually when he shuts down rumors, he’s quite frank.
Go and listen to the CJ Carr interview with Clint Cosgrove from yesterday.

If you then still believe that CJ Carr will re-classify to 2023, tell us why.

No he didn't. He said CJ doesn't plan on reclassifying but he has taken summer classes and both parties have had initial conversations about it but as of now he has no plans of it

He also had CJ on himself and others who have talked to him, he said he plans on staying in hs till 24

There is an article in The Athletic that, among other things, specifically addresses whether CJ will reclassify. The upshot is that he has no current plans to reclassify, but is leaving his options open. Here is the quote from The Athletic article:

"The next question Carr must answer is the reclassification one, whether he should begin his college career six months early with the rest of the nation’s top-ranked recruiting class in 2023. For now, the answer is no: Carr plans to play two more seasons at Saline, then do mid-year enrollment about 18 months from now. But Carr also plans to continue taking online courses just in case his mind changes."

"While reclassification would be a first at Notre Dame, both player and program are laying the groundwork for it to happen if both player and program want it to. Carr is old for his class; he turned 17 years last month while still a high school sophomore. He accumulated high school credits before starting high school and kept building that academic resume just in case."

“We’re gonna stay in the ’24 class,” Carr said. “I think we’re gonna take the classes just to give me the option, but as of right now there’s no plan (to reclassify).”

I've spent some time watching video on Carr over the past 24 hours. I REALLY like what I see. He's got plenty of arm, moves well, spins the ball and appears to be really accurate. On top of that, by all accounts he is a very hard worker and has a high football IQ. And it doesn't hurt that he comes from a well respected football family and they have probably instilled in him a strong understanding of the game and what it takes to become successful at it. Interesting to contrast CJ's recruitment with Dante Moore. Carr's parents would have loved for CJ to pick UM, but in the end they trusted their son and let him choose his own path. If the reports are accurate with DM's recruitment, on the other hand, the father is really trying hard to influence where his son will go to play CFB. Who knows whether those reports are accurate, but if they are I believe the father is doing the son a disservice. Giving your opinion is ok, but in the end he should leave the final decision to Dante.

Whatever happens with DM, I believe the Carr commitment will be a great pickup for ND.

There is an article in The Athletic that, among other things, specifically addresses whether CJ will reclassify. The upshot is that he has no current plans to reclassify, but is leaving his options open. Here is the quote from The Athletic article:

"The next question Carr must answer is the reclassification one, whether he should begin his college career six months early with the rest of the nation’s top-ranked recruiting class in 2023. For now, the answer is no: Carr plans to play two more seasons at Saline, then do mid-year enrollment about 18 months from now. But Carr also plans to continue taking online courses just in case his mind changes."

"While reclassification would be a first at Notre Dame, both player and program are laying the groundwork for it to happen if both player and program want it to. Carr is old for his class; he turned 17 years last month while still a high school sophomore. He accumulated high school credits before starting high school and kept building that academic resume just in case."

“We’re gonna stay in the ’24 class,” Carr said. “I think we’re gonna take the classes just to give me the option, but as of right now there’s no plan (to reclassify).”

I've spent some time watching video on Carr over the past 24 hours. I REALLY like what I see. He's got plenty of arm, moves well, spins the ball and appears to be really accurate. On top of that, by all accounts he is a very hard worker and has a high football IQ. And it doesn't hurt that he comes from a well respected football family and they have probably instilled in him a strong understanding of the game and what it takes to become successful at it. Interesting to contrast CJ's recruitment with Dante Moore. Carr's parents would have loved for CJ to pick UM, but in the end they trusted their son and let him choose his own path. If the reports are accurate with DM's recruitment, on the other hand, the father is really trying hard to influence where his son will go to play CFB. Who knows whether those reports are accurate, but if they are I believe the father is doing the son a disservice. Giving your opinion is ok, but in the end he should leave the final decision to Dante.

Whatever happens with DM, I believe the Carr commitment will be a great pickup for ND.

Correct, he’s not going to say it’s happening unless it’s happening. I still think he does. Time will tell.

Carr stated this when asked about the possibility of Rees leaving for a head coaching gig before he gets on campus.
sounds like he's committing to the school and not the coach. I wouldn't read much more than that into it - seriously doubt Rees would tell a recruit he's got eyes elsewhere, even if he did. Probably a Michigan alum asked that question.

Malachi Nelson, 2023 5-Star QB to USC, turns 19 this year.

sounds like he's committing to the school and not the coach. I wouldn't read much more than that into it - seriously doubt Rees would tell a recruit he's got eyes elsewhere, even if he did. Probably a Michigan alum asked that question.
I think Rees is smart enough to know he has a lot left to learn before jumping to a HC gig. He’s seen what happens to those coaches who jumped at that opportunity but clearly weren’t ready for it.

I think Rees is smart enough to know he has a lot left to learn before jumping to a HC gig. He’s seen what happens to those coaches who jumped at that opportunity but clearly weren’t ready for it.
Well, Tommy is working for a 36-year-old first year Head Coach that is taking on one of the most difficult gigs in CFB.

Well, Tommy is working for a 36-year-old first year Head Coach that is taking on one of the most difficult gigs in CFB.
Fair point. But I think (or at least I hope) he understands and appreciates that MF is the outlier, not the norm. And the jury is still out on whether MF will be successful on the field.

Fair point. But I think (or at least I hope) he understands and appreciates that MF is the outlier, not the norm. And the jury is still out on whether MF will be successful on the field.
And fair point.

I will say this about Marcus Freeman. If recruiting really well is the lifeblood of CFB coaching success, Freeman is off to a good start.

Reactions: Kontiki09
Guy’s, CJ is a very nice young man. I am in no way trying to tear him down. However, I live in Michigan. I live 45min from Saline. That Southeastern Conference-Red division is very weak and non athletic. Watch his film. Look at the size and lack of athleticism of the teams he plays. When Saline makes the playoffs they get bounced pretty early.

Very average conference. On the flip side, Moore plays in one of the toughest divisions in the State. When King makes the playoffs they are Division 3. When Saline makes the playoffs, because they have so many students, they are a division 1. However, anyone in the state of Michigan knows the toughest division in the playoffs is
1. D3
2. D2
3. D1

Look at the teams in their conference. The most they win are 5 out of 9 games. Most of the teams have 1-3 wins eqch

ND recruited the wrong guy.

This is the conference he plays in

This is their schedule. Click any of their opponents, 1-5 wins each year.

Last edited:
Guy’s, CJ is a very nice young man. I am in no way trying to tear him down. However, I live in Michigan. I live 45min from Saline. That Southeastern Conference-Red division is very weak and non athletic. Watch his film. Look at the size and lack of athleticism of the teams he plays. When Saline makes the playoffs they get bounced pretty early.

Very average conference. On the flip side, Moore plays in one of the toughest divisions in the State. When King makes the playoffs they are Division 3. When Saline makes the playoffs, because they have so many students, they are a division 1. However, anyone in the state of Michigan knows the toughest division in the playoffs is
1. D3
2. D2
3. D1

Wow. I guess someone better tell Marcus Freeman and Rees that they cannot evaluate talent and that Irish Invasion was just a good day for him.

Reactions: Golson5
Wow. I guess someone better tell Marcus Freeman and Rees that they cannot evaluate talent and that Irish Invasion was just a good day for him.
Yup, they should. But they offered the kid last year so….

Do I need to make a list of every QB ND recruited that once they got on campus everyone on this board called the coach stupid for recruiting him???

The kid is average.

I absolutely love ND football. I am a huge fan of Freeman and Tommy. But I know first hand this is a reach. I have zero reason to be bias.

Moore is the QB they should have sold the farm for.

Do I need to make a list of every QB ND recruited that once they got on campus everyone on this board called the coach stupid for recruiting him???

The kid is average.

I absolutely love ND football. I am a huge fan of Freeman and Tommy. But I know first hand this is a reach. I have zero reason to be bias.

They did sell the farm for him. He's not interested enough to commit and they are completely different classes. A '24 QB commit has 0 impact on a '23 kid unless the '23 kid is so far inferior to the '24 kid that it scares him off. Dante is not inferior to CJ, so your point is completely moot. You are wrong and you will see how wrong you are in the next few years. CJ Carr has the tools to be far better than anyone we've had since Clausen. QB's are not evaluated based on their HS competition, so that's your first mistake.

And reclassifying him to '23 and taking a '24 is NOT at all out of the question. Carr/Sayin combo is as good as Moore/Carr combo. My opinion is Carr takes the '23 spot in due time after Dante determines he doesn't want to be at ND. Unfortunately, the staff tried like hell with him and he just isn't buying it, yet. You cannot say we recruited the wrong guy. We are doing and have done more than any other school in trying to land Dante Moore. There has never been a recruit in the history of Notre Dame that has gotten the red carpet more than Dante Moore. It's his choice, not ND's. This is why it's frustrating for ND fans to here that he's upset about message boards. I mean, come one. Commit where you want to go and play football. If you're so distracted that you're upset about message boards, then what in the hell are you going to do when you get inside an opposing stadium or lose a game and get reamed by a coach/press. Sometimes you gotta go with your gut and ignore the noise. Carr is decisive, a good leader, and has the skills. If Dante feels threatened by a '24 commit as you're alluding to, we wouldn't want him anyways.

Carr is a ND guy. He knows what he wants and he wants to build an empire here. Let Dante do whatever it is he does.

Last edited:
They did sell the farm for him. He's not interested enough to commit and they are completely different classes. A '24 QB commit has 0 impact on a '23 kid unless the '23 kid is so far inferior to the '24 kid that it scares him off. Dante is not inferior to CJ, so your point is completely moot. You are wrong and you will see how wrong you are in the next few years. CJ Carr has the tools to be far better than anyone we've had since Clausen. QB's are not evaluated based on their HS competition, so that's your first mistake.

And reclassifying him to '23 and taking a '24 is NOT at all out of the question. Carr/Sayin combo is as good as Moore/Carr combo. My opinion is Carr takes the '23 spot in due time after Dante determines he doesn't want to be at ND. Unfortunately, the staff tried like hell with him and he just isn't buying it, yet. You cannot say we recruited the wrong guy. We are doing and have done more than any other school in trying to land Dante Moore. There has never been a recruit in the history of Notre Dame that has gotten the red carpet more than Dante Moore. It's his choice, not ND's. This is why it's frustrating for ND fans to here that he's upset about message boards. I mean, come one. Commit where you want to go and play football. If you're so distracted that you're upset about message boards, then what in the hell are you going to do when you get inside an opposing stadium or lose a game and get reamed by a coach/press. Sometimes you gotta go with your gut and ignore the noise. Carr is decisive, a good leader, and has the skills. If Dante feels threatened by a '24 commit as you're alluding to, we wouldn't want him anyways.

Carr is a ND guy. He knows what he wants and he wants to build an empire here. Let Dante do whatever it is he does.
Build an empire here??? 🤣🤣🤣

1. D3
2. D2
3. D1

Look at the teams in their conference. The most they win are 5 out of 9 games. Most of the teams have 1-3 wins eqch

This is their schedule. Click any of their opponents, 1-5 wins each year.

Hahaha 😝 you’re a joke

Reactions: Zorich 88

The kid is average.

Are you obtuse? They sold the farm to Moore. I’ve never seen ND go after someone that hard (Manti maybe). I now know to disregard anything you say for how ignorant and clueless you are with Moore’s recruitment.

The kid is average.

They did sell the farm for Moore.

But the staff feels Carr is better. They can get both.

I personally feel Carr is a little better. And after the 247 camp earlier this year and irish invasion a lot of people now agree.

They did sell the farm for Moore.

But the staff feels Carr is better. They can get both.

I personally feel Carr is a little better. And after the 247 camp earlier this year and irish invasion a lot of people now agree.
Moore just beat everyone at the 7on7. IDK about that. They're both good. But definitely better?

I don’t know either of them and have not seen Donte throw. I’m sure we want them both. I have seen CJ throw and he looks damn good. He was recruited by both UGA and Bama along with most others.

No offense to any talent scouts on the board but the teams that offered him seem to know what they are doing the last few years so I’m gonna go with Saban, Kirby and MF. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT