ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly’s Bold, Audacious Moves

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
LINK

he ugly dust cloud from Alabama’s red elephants had barely settled when Brian Kelly started plotting some big changes to return the Irish to the National Championship quest, albeit it at a more successful clip.

When Diaco departed for UCONN after 2013, Kelly swiftly, even before the Rutgers Pinstripe Bowl, pulled the trigger and committed to an aggressive, attacking pro style, multiple defense. The move to the 4-3 and the hiring of Brian van Gorder were corollaries of that big bold decision.
The overarching scheme and aggression change was the architecture, Van Gorder the engineering and construction. Retooling is never seamless, and there is always a price to be paid. In college football it is exacerbated because players recruited for Defensive Scheme A may not be fit for Defensive Scheme B. In the unforgiving world of fans there is little patience for letting the Scheme A’s graduate and atrophy while more Scheme B’s are recruited and developed.

But changing circumstances require decisive action. And Notre Dame has often been on the audacious, cutting edge. Rockne himself learned this as a player when he and Dorais shocked Army with the passing attack honed on the sandy beaches of Sandusky, Ohio. Rock was audacious with the installation of the Notre Dame Box, whether inspired by the Rockettes or not. Leahy, a most loyal pupil of Rockne, audaciously replaced the box with the split T, while fans screamed bloody murder.. And Ara Raoul Parseghian was audacious in his swift embrace of the unlimited substitution rules while others dawdled.

The revered, ancient rhythm of forcing an opponent to make long drives and make a mistake to stop themselves became nearly obsolete with the shift to wide open spread defenses. When a Nick Saban/Kirby Smart defense, filled with Blue Chippers and Five Stars and liberally sprinkled with top JC’s sees its ppg allowed go from 8.2 ppg and 184 yards per game in ’09 to 18.4 ppg and 328 ypg in ’14, something is changing. In the last 15 games, the proud Crimson Tide defense has allowed more than 40 points THREE TIMES! They have, on too many occasions for the Crimson Tide faithful, been as porous as El Chapo Guzman’s jailers.

It is evident that, in the modern milieu of college football, something’s happening here, what it means ain’t exactly clear. But explosive, opportunistic, high powered offenses will not fade quietly into that dark night. Defensive escalation makes sense.

The bold defensive retooling process started in late ’13, saw its first phase of implementation in ’14 and the retooling was completed with the coaching staff changes on defense in 2015.

Supporters believe that 2015 will be the first effective year under the revamped defense guided by Brian Van Gorder, with 2014 merely a shakedown cruise, complicated by suspensions and injuries. Supporters contend that the first part of ’14’s defensive performance was the new reality, the second half an aberration.

Skeptics contend that the shift was a panic move, does not align with the personality and type of athletes naturally attracted to Notre Dame, and the added requirements of complexity and athleticism are bridges too far for Notre Dame’s well-being. These skeptics contend that the first part of ‘14’s defensive performance was an aberration, the second half the new reality.

For 2015 the changes made by Kelly were even more radical. The first, and less discussed, was the addition of the interns and analysts. Veteran. accomplished coaches like Bobby Elliott and Jeff Quinn were added as special projects and offensive analysts, respectively. Pryce Tracy was named as the full time Speical teams analyst.

This is a significant change in coaching room and meeting dynamics. The three unit analysts and Elliott’s position are not Tony Soprano’s “no show” jobs on the Esplanade in Seacaucus. They are there to contribute to the coaching acumen and sophistication on each unit. Elliott’s first assignment was to research a solution to the challenges of making tactical defensive substitutions against hurry up spread offenses. ut the more surprising change was the addition of Mike Sanford Jr. as offensive coordinator. Kelly had never been more than one step away from playcalling, whether the offensive coordinator was Charley Molnar, Chuck Martin or Mike Denbrock.

Sanford was no mere friend, the son of a former coach of the program. A rising, almost shooting star, he did not leave his alma mater Boise to carry a clipboard on the Notre Dame sideline. The baton is meant to pass to Sanford, but it will take more than a minute.

Clearly Quinn, Debrock and Sanford will be part of the “think tank” providing ideas, thoughts and feed back. Kelly wanted more input, more advice, a better “meeting room.” Quinn is no shrinking violet and with Denbrock, Quinn, Sanford and Kelly joining Hiestand, Booker and Denson, that will be an energized, experienced, SMART meeting room.

Supporters of the move say that Kelly’s most fluid offense was when Quinn was his offensive coordinator at Cincinnati. Kelly wanted a better offensive “cabinet” and staffed it with the best and the brightest. Leveraging that move with Sanford, who is a contributor on his way to being the coordinator, creates a powerful brain trust and the Irish offense will not be out witted.

Skeptics demean Kelly as a control freak and predict an inevitable explosion with Sanford, possibly even compromising the recruiting-and retention-of Huntingburg phenom QB Hunter Johnson. Whether the defensive and offensive supporters or skeptics are correct will be determined quickly.

Danton, one of the architects of the French revolution, coined the phrase “Audacity, audacity, audacity!” It was coopted by the fierce George Patton, and later by Pattonphile Bo Schembechler who loved to exhort his team with “Audacity, audacity, audacity.”

In the last two offseasons Kelly has made some audacious moves, on the field, in the coaches’ offices, in the offensive, defensive and special teams meetings rooms. 2015 will determine if the bold moves worked. But, you know, if Kelly was right, it could be an intriguing year for Notre Dame football.

Go Irish!

LINK

he ugly dust cloud from Alabama’s red elephants had barely settled when Brian Kelly started plotting some big changes to return the Irish to the National Championship quest, albeit it at a more successful clip.

When Diaco departed for UCONN after 2013, Kelly swiftly, even before the Rutgers Pinstripe Bowl, pulled the trigger and committed to an aggressive, attacking pro style, multiple defense. The move to the 4-3 and the hiring of Brian van Gorder were corollaries of that big bold decision.
The overarching scheme and aggression change was the architecture, Van Gorder the engineering and construction. Retooling is never seamless, and there is always a price to be paid. In college football it is exacerbated because players recruited for Defensive Scheme A may not be fit for Defensive Scheme B. In the unforgiving world of fans there is little patience for letting the Scheme A’s graduate and atrophy while more Scheme B’s are recruited and developed.

But changing circumstances require decisive action. And Notre Dame has often been on the audacious, cutting edge. Rockne himself learned this as a player when he and Dorais shocked Army with the passing attack honed on the sandy beaches of Sandusky, Ohio. Rock was audacious with the installation of the Notre Dame Box, whether inspired by the Rockettes or not. Leahy, a most loyal pupil of Rockne, audaciously replaced the box with the split T, while fans screamed bloody murder.. And Ara Raoul Parseghian was audacious in his swift embrace of the unlimited substitution rules while others dawdled.

The revered, ancient rhythm of forcing an opponent to make long drives and make a mistake to stop themselves became nearly obsolete with the shift to wide open spread defenses. When a Nick Saban/Kirby Smart defense, filled with Blue Chippers and Five Stars and liberally sprinkled with top JC’s sees its ppg allowed go from 8.2 ppg and 184 yards per game in ’09 to 18.4 ppg and 328 ypg in ’14, something is changing. In the last 15 games, the proud Crimson Tide defense has allowed more than 40 points THREE TIMES! They have, on too many occasions for the Crimson Tide faithful, been as porous as El Chapo Guzman’s jailers.

It is evident that, in the modern milieu of college football, something’s happening here, what it means ain’t exactly clear. But explosive, opportunistic, high powered offenses will not fade quietly into that dark night. Defensive escalation makes sense.

The bold defensive retooling process started in late ’13, saw its first phase of implementation in ’14 and the retooling was completed with the coaching staff changes on defense in 2015.

Supporters believe that 2015 will be the first effective year under the revamped defense guided by Brian Van Gorder, with 2014 merely a shakedown cruise, complicated by suspensions and injuries. Supporters contend that the first part of ’14’s defensive performance was the new reality, the second half an aberration.

Skeptics contend that the shift was a panic move, does not align with the personality and type of athletes naturally attracted to Notre Dame, and the added requirements of complexity and athleticism are bridges too far for Notre Dame’s well-being. These skeptics contend that the first part of ‘14’s defensive performance was an aberration, the second half the new reality.

For 2015 the changes made by Kelly were even more radical. The first, and less discussed, was the addition of the interns and analysts. Veteran. accomplished coaches like Bobby Elliott and Jeff Quinn were added as special projects and offensive analysts, respectively. Pryce Tracy was named as the full time Speical teams analyst.

This is a significant change in coaching room and meeting dynamics. The three unit analysts and Elliott’s position are not Tony Soprano’s “no show” jobs on the Esplanade in Seacaucus. They are there to contribute to the coaching acumen and sophistication on each unit. Elliott’s first assignment was to research a solution to the challenges of making tactical defensive substitutions against hurry up spread offenses. ut the more surprising change was the addition of Mike Sanford Jr. as offensive coordinator. Kelly had never been more than one step away from playcalling, whether the offensive coordinator was Charley Molnar, Chuck Martin or Mike Denbrock.

Sanford was no mere friend, the son of a former coach of the program. A rising, almost shooting star, he did not leave his alma mater Boise to carry a clipboard on the Notre Dame sideline. The baton is meant to pass to Sanford, but it will take more than a minute.

Clearly Quinn, Debrock and Sanford will be part of the “think tank” providing ideas, thoughts and feed back. Kelly wanted more input, more advice, a better “meeting room.” Quinn is no shrinking violet and with Denbrock, Quinn, Sanford and Kelly joining Hiestand, Booker and Denson, that will be an energized, experienced, SMART meeting room.

Supporters of the move say that Kelly’s most fluid offense was when Quinn was his offensive coordinator at Cincinnati. Kelly wanted a better offensive “cabinet” and staffed it with the best and the brightest. Leveraging that move with Sanford, who is a contributor on his way to being the coordinator, creates a powerful brain trust and the Irish offense will not be out witted.

Skeptics demean Kelly as a control freak and predict an inevitable explosion with Sanford, possibly even compromising the recruiting-and retention-of Huntingburg phenom QB Hunter Johnson. Whether the defensive and offensive supporters or skeptics are correct will be determined quickly.

Danton, one of the architects of the French revolution, coined the phrase “Audacity, audacity, audacity!” It was coopted by the fierce George Patton, and later by Pattonphile Bo Schembechler who loved to exhort his team with “Audacity, audacity, audacity.”

In the last two offseasons Kelly has made some audacious moves, on the field, in the coaches’ offices, in the offensive, defensive and special teams meetings rooms. 2015 will determine if the bold moves worked. But, you know, if Kelly was right, it could be an intriguing year for Notre Dame football.

Go Irish!

The ugly dust cloud from Alabama’s red elephants had barely settled when Brian Kelly started plotting his answers for his eagles interview. He left his team in the lurch in pursuit of a HC position in the NFL. After expressing zero interest in the NFL at his press conference on Saturday by Tuesday morning he was interviewing with the Eagles. No one knew where he was and he could not be reached for days..... blah blah blah

Audacity indeed.....

"Actions speak louder than words"....

There is every chance for this team to make a run. Two keys: kelly committing to physical/dominating/fundamentally sound form. Zaire staying healthy....

The ugly dust cloud from Alabama’s red elephants had barely settled when Brian Kelly started plotting his answers for his eagles interview. He left his team in the lurch in pursuit of a HC position in the NFL. After expressing zero interest in the NFL at his press conference on Saturday by Tuesday morning he was interviewing with the Eagles. No one knew where he was and he could not be reached for days..... blah blah blah

Audacity indeed.....

"Actions speak louder than words"....

There is every chance for this team to make a run. Two keys: kelly committing to physical/dominating/fundamentally sound form. Zaire staying healthy....

What is this "lurch" that you speak of???

"Nobody knew where he was, and he couldn't be reached for days"??? Says who???

Blooded Irish, thanks for posting. The glass half empty versus half full depiction of the fan base , and the patience or impatience of same with scheme results are spot on. Critical year for assessing the new defensive scheme and Van Gorder's hire.

What is this "lurch" that you speak of???

"Nobody knew where he was, and he couldn't be reached for days"??? Says who???

Says him.....

Well the championship game ended Monday night and kelly was interviewing the next day. Perhaps you might believe his own words on his disappearing act.

"The Eagles interviewed Kelly the day after the national championship, and the meeting was first reported by The Inquirer on Jan. 9. They had focused on college coaches throughout the process, and he was the third college coach they interviewed. Kelly said his regret was about not releasing a statement soon after the news reports circulated. Four days elapsed before Kelly made a statement.

"If there's anything I would have done differently, it would have been to close that timeline relative to my interview and coming out with my statement," Kelly said. "I was on vacation with my wife. We were away. We weren't watching TV. But I should been more sensitive to the fact that there was this time period that had been going on and (I should have) released a statement much sooner."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...h-Brian-Kelly-discusses-Eagles-interview.html

PS kelly flat out lied at the Sat. presser pre BCS NC game and the media/others picked up on it....

"Kelly denied having any interest in an NFL coaching job this past Saturday, claiming that leaving Notre Dame "is not an option. I don't even think about it."

"I think from my perspective I've got the best job in the country, NFL, college, high school, whatever," Kelly said Saturday. "I just look at the place that I'm at and thankful for the opportunity that I have."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...-philadelphia-eagles-coaching-vacancy-sources

He was saying this stuff knowing darn well he had a post game Eagle interview scheduled.

He is in desperate need of PR training. When asked about the NFL he could have simply stated, "I am completely focused on this game alone."

Instead he lied.... It's what he does....

What about your man Harbaugh? Why do you always kiss his butt. He runs from team to team and he hasn't won crap. CGVR loves him some harbaugh.

I'm not kissing his butt. I am stating fact after fact. Harbaugh is a competitively obsessed winner with a proven "system" that works at the CFB and NFL level. His approach deploys fundamentally sound football, aggression, physicality, intimidation, impose your will....

Would you care to define kelly's "system"? Would you care to review 5 years of kelly's tenure and statistically make the case for something/anything that we're good at?

Answer that question let's see you come up with something.

I'm guessing your answer will look something like this:

The "rose colored" glasses some folks wear here are not reality based. Harbaugh took a 1-11 Stanford team in 4 years to 12-1.

He won a BCS game and defeated a number 1 southern cal team. He made the NFC championship game 3 years in a row and made it to the Super Bowl once falling a 5-7 yard completion short of a ring.

He's a monster HC. kelly isn't.... Now kelly can certainly improve, but I am not holding my breath.....

Please.

One of these days you will grow up and realize college football is a business.

The same as Saban and a dozen other coaches all said the Ole 'I'm not going anywhere' line. And disappear overnight. Hell Lou Holtz himself did it to get to ND. Different wording. Same idea.

The same as if you were looking at another job you wouldn't tell the boss before hand.

People here are way to caught up on this kind of cap.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Please.

One of these days you will grow up and realize college football is a business.

The same as Saban and a dozen other coaches all said the Ole 'I'm not going anywhere' line. And disappear overnight. Hell Lou Holtz himself did it to get to ND. Different wording. Same idea.

The same as if you were looking at another job you wouldn't tell the boss before hand.

People here are way to caught up on this kind of cap.

I posted accurately and used kelly's own words. Obviously you can't refute a thing I've written and would prefer to personalize and bolster your weak reply with, "One of these days you will grow up and realize college football is a business."

I am focused on the actions of our lying mercenary HC.

Also, I am really not interested in the behavior of other coaches.

Their poor behavior is not a legitimate shield for kelly imo.

PS I have never been a big fan of Holtz either....

Last edited:
Says him.....

Well the championship game ended Monday night and kelly was interviewing the next day. Perhaps you might believe his own words on his disappearing act.

"The Eagles interviewed Kelly the day after the national championship, and the meeting was first reported by The Inquirer on Jan. 9. They had focused on college coaches throughout the process, and he was the third college coach they interviewed. Kelly said his regret was about not releasing a statement soon after the news reports circulated. Four days elapsed before Kelly made a statement.

"If there's anything I would have done differently, it would have been to close that timeline relative to my interview and coming out with my statement," Kelly said. "I was on vacation with my wife. We were away. We weren't watching TV. But I should been more sensitive to the fact that there was this time period that had been going on and (I should have) released a statement much sooner."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...h-Brian-Kelly-discusses-Eagles-interview.html

PS kelly flat out lied at the Sat. presser pre BCS NC game and the media/others picked up on it....

"Kelly denied having any interest in an NFL coaching job this past Saturday, claiming that leaving Notre Dame "is not an option. I don't even think about it."

"I think from my perspective I've got the best job in the country, NFL, college, high school, whatever," Kelly said Saturday. "I just look at the place that I'm at and thankful for the opportunity that I have."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...-philadelphia-eagles-coaching-vacancy-sources

He was saying this stuff knowing darn well he had a post game Eagle interview scheduled.

He is in desperate need of PR training. When asked about the NFL he could have simply stated, "I am completely focused on this game alone."

This just reflects on the questionable character of the HC. First offer and he's gone (from the greatest job in the world, the one he always longed for).

Reactions: cgvr
I posted accurately and used kelly's own words. Obviously you can't refute a thing I've written and would prefer to personalize and bolster your weak reply with, "One of these days you will grow up and realize college football is a business."

PS I was never been a big fan of Holtz either....

Not a fan of Holtz? What true ND fan is not a fan of the coach that coached us to a National championship ? I suspect cgvr is an imposter. Brian Davidson?

The only thing audacious about this article is the over the top language and poor attempt at Hemingwayesque prose. Send him back to writing class.

Reactions: cgvr

With the exception of guys like Northwestern's HC, they are all merc's.

IT IS A JOB. Like any job, you keep it until you have another one. That's life. Look at Jimmie Johnson, left Miami at the height of their run, to go to Dallas. Why? Because the money was better. That is how life works. You can not like it all you want. You can complain until your fingers fall off. It won't change it. If I am a HC, and my job is to be the best one I can be. I want to be where the absolute best are. And that is the NFL. Not to mention that ND is gun shy on big payout salaries since the Weis and Willingham thing. Why make 3.5 million at ND, when you can make 5+ million a year at the NFL. And not have the NCAA and their crap oversight over you.

Not a fan of Holtz? What true ND fan is not a fan of the coach that coached us to a National championship ? I suspect cgvr is an imposter. Brian Davidson?

Well, Holtz allowed our grad rates to drop into the 70's percentage wise. He had some on field "melt downs" including hostile grabbing of players, putting a ref in a head lock.... His record with the NCAA from school to school is rather unattractive.... I also thought he should have had more NC's.....

You and others refuse to enter into a very simple area. I wonder, why? Actually, I don't as I have done the research.....

Again, would you care to define kelly's "system"? Would you care to review 5 years of kelly's tenure and statistically make the case for something/anything that we're good at?

Many of us alum don't care for kelly. That's on him and it relates to his offensive behavior (Didn't he have to apologize to Manti and the team?), mediocre coaching performance/decisions, the scandals surrounding this program under his watch have raised eyebrows too, among other things,.....

Last edited:
With the exception of guys like Northwestern's HC, they are all merc's.

IT IS A JOB. Like any job, you keep it until you have another one. That's life. Look at Jimmie Johnson, left Miami at the height of their run, to go to Dallas. Why? Because the money was better. That is how life works. You can not like it all you want. You can complain until your fingers fall off. It won't change it. If I am a HC, and my job is to be the best one I can be. I want to be where the absolute best are. And that is the NFL. Not to mention that ND is gun shy on big payout salaries since the Weis and Willingham thing. Why make 3.5 million at ND, when you can make 5+ million a year at the NFL. And not have the NCAA and their crap oversight over you.

There's no doubt about that.... However, with correct PR training kelly would be able to professionally deflect questions rather than lie. A simple, "I'm not here to discuss the NFL. I am here to discuss the biggest game of my career" would have sufficed... He chose poorly when he blatantly lied and that's my point. Excuses like "Everyone else does it. Or, this coach did it too" doesn't cut it. We are not everyone else, we are Notre Dame.
PS kelly does not have the skill set to HC an NFL team. That's a fact. He tried to strike when the "iron was hot", failed to receive an offer, personally admitted that he handled the circumstance poorly and said he should have done things differently..... It appears based on the other poster's response that people may have a short memory.

Big supporter of Kelly when hired. Still a strong supporter for what he has done to improve the program. Damn near fell off the bandwagon when he looked like a heart attack waiting to happen on the sidelines, and the way he handled the whole eagle's flirtation. Others disagree, but I think Kelly has shown a great deal of personal growth and is now perfectly suited for the position. Can't wait for the first press conference and talk of practice and developments, which hopefully will focus our discussion to the here and now of ND football.

Reactions: echowaker
Says him.....

Wow. Coaches lie and you consistently post crap. Neither one is a big new story. Kelly informed the AD(his superior) so that is the only person he needed to inform. We get it. You don't like Kelly. I am quite sure he would not like you.

Wow. Coaches lie and you consistently post crap. Neither one is a big new story. Kelly informed the AD(his superior) so that is the only person he needed to inform. We get it. You don't like Kelly. I am quite sure he would not like you.

You can bet your bottom dollar he wouldn't like meeting me. Nor would that fat a**hole weis.

What's nice is that you are always in personal attack mode as you don't have the skill set to refute one thing I've ever written. I find you very boring and not particularly bright.

Let's see if you can answer this question.

Would you care to review 5 years of kelly's tenure and statistically make the case for something/anything that we're good at?

Here's another, Where did you come up with Pennick4?

PS Quite frankly, I believe you are too stupid to realize that you misspelled Eric Penick's last name.

Last edited:
You can bet our bottom dollar he wouldn't like meeting me. Nor would that fat a**hole weis.

What's nice is that you are always in personal attack mode as you don't have the skill set to refute one thing I've ever written. I find you very boring and not particularly bright.

Let's see if you can answer this question.

Would you care to review 5 years of kelly's tenure and statistically make the case for something/anything that we're good at?

Here's another, Where did you come up with Pennick4?

PS Quite frankly, I believe you are too stupid to realize that you misspelled Eric Penick's last name.
Nobody likes meeting you because of your halitosis due to having your had up your backside. Kelly is one of the best coaches in the college game. He is great at winning and building programs. Open your eyes and observe without constantly bloviating. Next time you think about posting. Do us a favor and take a suppository and hit the rest room. Your a disgrace to fellow alums.

There's no doubt about that.... However, with correct PR training kelly would be able to professionally deflect questions rather than lie. A simple, "I'm not here to discuss the NFL. I am here to discuss the biggest game of my career" would have sufficed... He chose poorly when he blatantly lied and that's my point. Excuses like "Everyone else does it. Or, this coach did it too" doesn't cut it. We are not everyone else, we are Notre Dame.
PS kelly does not have the skill set to HC an NFL team. That's a fact. He tried to strike when the "iron was hot", failed to receive an offer, personally admitted that he handled the circumstance poorly and said he should have done things differently..... It appears based on the other poster's response that people may have a short memory.

So you would rather that he deflect to lie. Than just outright lie?

We are discussing the degree to which he lies? Who cares if he is NFL material or not? That is for the NFL decide.

I'm not kissing his butt. I am stating fact after fact. Harbaugh is a competitively obsessed winner with a proven "system" that works at the CFB and NFL level. His approach deploys fundamentally sound football, aggression, physicality, intimidation, impose your will....

Would you care to define kelly's "system"? Would you care to review 5 years of kelly's tenure and statistically make the case for something/anything that we're good at?

The "rose colored" glasses some folks wear here are not reality based. Harbaugh took a 1-11 Stanford team in 4 years to 12-1.

He won a BCS game and defeated a number 1 southern cal team. He made the NFC championship game 3 years in a row and made it to the Super Bowl once falling a 5-7 yard completion short of a ring.

He's a monster HC. kelly isn't.... Now kelly can certainly improve, but I am not holding my breath.....
Kelly has had more success at the collegiate level than harbaugh has.

So you would rather that he deflect to lie. Than just outright lie?

We are discussing the degree to which he lies? Who cares if he is NFL material or not? That is for the NFL decide.

This is an appropriate answer. It is not a lie. It is not a deflection. It is declarative.

Once again, a simple, "I'm not here to discuss the NFL. I am here to discuss the biggest game of my career" would have sufficed...

PS The purple one is no where close to NFL coaching material. His system lacks "power", he struggles with fundamentals, can't do football math.,.. among other things,,, . NFL towel boy perhaps.....

Nobody likes meeting you because of your halitosis due to having your had up your backside. Kelly is one of the best coaches in the college game. He is great at winning and building programs. Open your eyes and observe without constantly bloviating. Next time you think about posting. Do us a favor and take a suppository and hit the rest room. Your a disgrace to fellow alums.

"had up your backside" I don't know what that means. "Next time you think about posting." That is not a sentence. Are you implying that you are an alum? I highly doubt that because you are really really stupid.

fyi Eric Penick was number 44. So, you misspelled his name and got his number wrong.
Thanks for the laughs though.....

PS The purple one is no where close to NFL coaching material. His system lacks "power", he struggles with fundamentals, can't do football math.,.. among other things,,, . NFL towel boy perhaps.....

Who here cares? Did ND take a promotion and now plays in the NFC or something? Honestly I couldn't possibly care less if he is or ain't good enough for the NFL. And the only thing I care less about than that, is some random no one's opinion on a message board about it. Why you keep chest pumping saying you know he would be a failure in the NFL makes you look just that much more petty every time you post about it. Looking through this entire thread, no one even came close to asking your opinion about it, yet you keep posting over, and over, and over about it. As if you are some kind of NFL HC headhunter savant. The change in my pocket has 1,000% more value than your opinion on who is or who isn't NFL coaching material. But yet you keep posting it. I don't understand your angle about it.

Here if this helps let me say this. Sooner or later Kelly won't be the coach at ND. Now that happens 1 of 2 ways. Either he leaves, or he is fired. When that happens get on here and type out a diatribe about how you knew he would be gone, and blah, blah. Until that happens, he is the coach. Deal with it.

Reactions: captstabbin
Who here cares? Did ND take a promotion and now plays in the NFC or something? Honestly I couldn't possibly care less if he is or ain't good enough for the NFL. And the only thing I care less about than that, is some random no one's opinion on a message board about it. Why you keep chest pumping saying you know he would be a failure in the NFL makes you look just that much more petty every time you post about it. Looking through this entire thread, no one even came close to asking your opinion about it, yet you keep posting over, and over, and over about it. As if you are some kind of NFL HC headhunter savant. The change in my pocket has 1,000% more value than your opinion on who is or who isn't NFL coaching material. But yet you keep posting it. I don't understand your angle about it.

Here if this helps let me say this. Sooner or later Kelly won't be the coach at ND. Now that happens 1 of 2 ways. Either he leaves, or he is fired. When that happens get on here and type out a diatribe about how you knew he would be gone, and blah, blah. Until that happens, he is the coach. Deal with it.

Well, you started this with your opening volley which was among the most disingenuous kelly "puffery" I have ever read. The revisionism you posted was pure lying bs.

"The ugly dust cloud from Alabama’s red elephants had barely settled when Brian Kelly started plotting some big changes to return the Irish to the National Championship quest....."

Are you f'ing kidding me? The fact is that he was running out the door. Where was he going? Well, that would be an NFL head coach interview making him a very public liar....again.

That's how the NFL got introduced, because contrary to this foolish article kelly was not "plotting big changes to the Irish National Championship Quest." He was, in fact, plotting his departure from the school and did so in such a distasteful way that he stated he'd do things differently.

So, the article is pure fabrication and I set the record straight. Deal with it.

PS It doesn't take a savant to know that kelly is not NFL material. It just takes a minimum level of common sense which some here don't have.....

Last edited:

PS I was never been a big fan of Holtz either....

I was never been....WOW....are you ignorant...that is NOT correct grammar.....a shame...this is what an ND education buys you?

I was never been....WOW....are you ignorant...that is NOT correct grammar.....a shame...this is what an ND education buys you?
Sorry, it should have read "have never been"..... I shouldn't post from my phone.....

Sorry, it should have read "have never been"..... I shouldn't post from my phone.....

We all knew what you meant to post....just like you knew what pennick meant when you called him "really really stupid"

Grow up.

We all knew what you meant to post....just like you knew what pennick meant when you called him "really really stupid"

Grow up.
Oh, make no mistake about it pennick is an idiot much like you.

Speaking of idiots, I give you cgvr.

Kelly is a top tier coach in every way, just as cgvr is a moron on the same level of Mo1e. What a pair of losers.
Pot ...meet kettle. The irony is exceeded only by your hypocrisy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT