ADVERTISEMENT

Audric Estime

Interesting, never thought about that but Lou always seem to put a ton of diff backs in over a game. Some receivers too. Some big boys too. Loved Anthony Johnson, Bettis.
When you have 5-6 Luxury cars, drive them all.

Parseghian also rotated a bunch of backs, and he had his QBs run a lot, too. I don't think anyone ever got close to a 1,000-yard season when he was coaching because nobody got the necessary carries.
In 73, Parseghian had three separate backfield units.

QB's -- 1) Clements 2) Brown 3) Alloco

RB's -- 1 Pennick, Best 2) Samuel, Diminick 3) Hunter, Goodman

FB's -- 1) Bullock 2) Kornman 3) Parise

That team averaged 350 YARDS RUSHING PER GAME.

The first group was responsible for about 240 YARDS OF THAT.

Bullock had 700 yds plus and Best had exactly 700. Pennick had slightly under 600 and Clements, 360.

No. Just realistic and not your wishful thinking
Wishful thinking? I don't care if he comes back or not, rather it was a point of discussion. My opinion is/was he may be better off coming back, but that of course is just an opinion, and his choice

I've posted this before. But against Pitt in 90, Lou ran each of these backs:

Tony Brooks
Rodney Culver
Rocket
Dorsey Levens
Ricky Watters
Jerome Bettis
I posted earlier in the year that this RB room was reminiscent of the Holtz teams. Then you post this and I realize that it was a silly statement.

But in fairness, Lou didn't have the portal to deal with. So, if Diggs and Cbo stay, and all of them play out their eligibility, AND the new recruits come, then this RB room is reminiscent of the Holtz teams.

Except Rocket.

I would be very surprised if Audric lasted past the 2nd day of the Draft which is Rd 2 and 3.

A great deal of that has to do with the devaluation of the RB position in the NFL.

I posted earlier in the year that this RB room was reminiscent of the Holtz teams. Then you post this and I realize that it was a silly statement.

But in fairness, Lou didn't have the portal to deal with. So, if Diggs and Cbo stay, and all of them play out their eligibility, AND the new recruits come, then this RB room is reminiscent of the Holtz teams.

Except Rocket.
The current RB room is not reminiscent of what Holtz accumulated in 1989-1990-1991 with Rocket, Ricky Watters, Jerome Bettis, Tony Brooks, etc, And never mind the fact that Tony Rice was a RB masquerading as a QB. That RB group was on another level, the OL was on a different level, the entire running game was on a different level.

Please don't compare the 2.

Please don't compare the 2.
I'll do as I like, grandma.

Without portal losses, all playing out eligibility, committed guys come, and sans Rocket, It's reminiscent, not equal, reminiscent.

I stand by my post.

NFL teams no longer seek out a bell cow running back. The bubble screen has replaced the toss sweep. The league “average” for Total Offense is about 350 yards per game.

225 come via the pass, and about 125 come on the ground. Teams can grab a couple of mid round picks and squeeze out 125 yards a game.

Money is being spent on QBs, game breaking WRs, cover corners, elite pass rushers

I'll do as I like, grandma.

Without portal losses, all playing out eligibility, committed guys come, and sans Rocket, It's reminiscent, not equal, reminiscent.

I stand by my post.
Reminiscent to the running game Lou Holtz and Joe Moore produced in 1989-1990-1991? You can't be serious. This group isn't in that league. That 1989-1990-1991 running game led by Lou Holtz and OL coach Joe Moore was elite. Top shelf. This group, while certainly good, simply isn't in that same league.

Last edited:
“Don’t compare the two”? Lol. Ok, we’ll check w/ you before we make any more comparisons. I don’t understand the argument either. I don’t think anyone said this version was better than the holtz version. We mentioned reminiscent and remindful in terms of depth. It is an elite college RB group, btw. We still don’t even know what this group will look like by the time they’re done w/ their careers. This isn’t a comparison of what they’ll do in the pros either, it’s about their quality at the RB position in college, and w/ that said, I stand by my statement that it’s remindful. But arrogantly argue away, I know you will.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish

Except Rocket.
Funny thing was -- Holtz recruiting SIX TAILBACKS in 88 -- two of whom played immediately -- Culver and Rocket. So in 89 when he recruited Levens, the reigning Gatorade player of the year in New York State, there was NO ROOM for him, given that Brooks and Watters were still around and Bettis soon coming in.

So, Levens transferred to Georgia Tech as he was just too TALENTED to sit on the bench. And I think that, his last year there, he ran for over 900 yards. Before moving on to a good career with the Packers.

So, even though there was no portal then, ND's running back position was still so crowded that it lost a very good player via a transfer.

Reactions: john0gaunt
“Don’t compare the two”? Lol. Ok, we’ll check w/ you before we make any more comparisons. I don’t understand the argument either. I don’t think anyone said this version was better than the holtz version. We mentioned reminiscent and remindful in terms of depth. It is an elite college RB group, btw. We still don’t even know what this group will look like by the time they’re done w/ their careers. This isn’t a comparison of what they’ll do in the pros either, it’s about their quality at the RB position in college, and w/ that said, I stand by my statement that it’s remindful. But arrogantly argue away, I know you will.
Yes, don't compare the two. Please don't compare Rocket, Ricky Watters, Jerome Bettis, and Tony Brooks, I won't even mention Tony Rice who was a RB playing QB...and being coached by Lou Holtz and Joe Moore, to this group. This current running back group isn't in that league. That 1989-1990-1991 group was in a word, phenomenal. Beyond phenomenal...they were so well coached and so damn talented.

Hell, the offensive lines are far far far apart. The Notre Dame OL play in 1989-1990-1991 were all elite. The current Notre Dame OL play is nowhere close to 1989-1990-1991.

Last edited:
Yes, don't compare the two. Please don't compare Rocket, Ricky Watters, Jerome Bettis, and Tony Brooks, I won't even mention Tony Rice who was a RB playing QB...and being coached by Lou Holtz and Joe Moore, to this group. This current running back group isn't in that league. That 1989-1990-1991 group was in a word, phenomenal. Beyond phenomenal...they were so well coached and so damn talented.

Hell, the offensive lines are far far far apart. The Notre Dame OL play in 1989-1990-1991 were all elite. The current Notre Dame OL play is nowhere close to 1989-1990-1991.
A. I did make a carve out for Rocket because there has only been one Rocket.
B. Now I loved Ricky, both with the Irish, and with the 49rs. But he did have a little problem with holding onto the ball.
C. That leaves Brooks and Bettis. This new group has Estime, Love, Price, and Payne. Again, reminiscent of the Holtz RB groups..

A. I did make a carve out for Rocket because there has only been one Rocket.
B. Now I loved Ricky, both with the Irish, and with the 49rs. But he did have a little problem with holding onto the ball.
C. That leaves Brooks and Bettis. This new group has Estime, Love, Price, and Payne. Again, reminiscent of the Holtz RB groups..
I watched the Holtz/Joe Moore running game. I have watched the current running game.

The two do not resemble one another, because in all fairness, the OL play was light years apart.

If the o-line play was light years apart, that would enhance the current stable’s comparison. I would take the old crew for sure but in terms of great talent four deep, it’s remindful of those teams. If we go back a couple years, we can swap Kyren for love. That’s a pretty good backfield too.

If the o-line play was light years apart, that would enhance the current stable’s comparison. I would take the old crew for sure but in terms of great talent four deep, it’s remindful of those teams. If we go back a couple years, we can swap Kyren for love. That’s a pretty good backfield too.
I won't even bother comparing Rocket, Ricky Watters, Jerome Bettis and Tony Brooks to this current group of RB's. Anyone who watched, knows.

The two running games, 1989-1990-1991 to 2023, 1989-1990-1991 was simply better. In every single way.

I don’t give a shit whether you wanna bother comparing the groups. I’m gonna go ahead and do so.

And how does “you watching it” validate anything? So did most of us.

I don’t give a shit whether you wanna bother comparing the groups. I’m gonna go ahead and do so.
Go ahead. If you our watching our current running game and believe that it reminds you of 1989-1990-1991, that's a you problem.

After years of having no running game under Kelly and Weis and Davie and Ty, some of us are seeing that ND now has what could grow into an elite RB group, reminiscent of the type of running game we haven't seen since Lou Holtz. Now try to calm yourself down. Perhaps lay down for a bit.

Last edited:
“Go ahead. If you our watching our current running game and believe that it reminds you of 1989-1990-1991, that's a you problem.”

Didn’t know I had a problem. I was only comparing backfields. But since you actually “watched the games”, I better take your word for it I guess.

After years of having no running game under Kelly and Weis and Davie and Ty, some of us are seeing that ND now has what could grow into an elite RB group, reminiscent of the type of running game we haven't seen since Lou Holtz. Now try to calm yourself down. Perhaps lay down for a bit.
I have read on this site that Ian Book was not that good, Tommy Rees was not that good, and now Brian Kelly had no running game. How do you go 44-6 with two CFB Playoff appearances in four seasons with no running game, an average at best OC in Tommy Rees, and no real QB play with Ian Book?

How?

Last edited:
A talented RB who will be in the top 5 I would guess year end should go. I’d love to have him back but it’s a numbers game with RB. You get so many Carrie’s and boom, your done. I don’t know why any RB stays 4 years. If your a top one, go when you can. Collect what you can and use the 4/40.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT