ADVERTISEMENT

Ara played for a tie????

mmboys07

All Star
Oct 3, 2004
Yanks are in first place; just picked up my football preview issue; wife working late again; just finished watching a tape of the famous (infamous?) tie with Michigan St. in the 1966 game of the century. I watched the game on T.V. in 66 as a teenager. At the time I didn't get why Ara was catching flak. It didn't look to me like he was playing for a tie. Watching the replay confirms my original conclusion. My evidence.

1. Both State and the Irish had all their time outs when ND took over the ball with about 54 sec. left. ND started their drive on their own 30. ND was 8/24 passing at the time. The whole second half was characterized by numerous plays for losses by both defenses.

2. ND ran 3 plays for 9 yards. State called quick time outs each time. ND didn't have to. Smart. ND would retain time but if State did get the ball back their TO would be used up.

3. ND went for a first down on 4th down on their own 39. Ara could have just punted the ball away if he was clearly playing for a tie.

4. On first down O'Brien went back to pass and was sacked.

5. With only 6 seconds left the last play was a run. Their was no way ND was going to get into field goal range.

Early in the 4th quarter. State ran the ball in what seemed like obvious passing downs. Neither team was having any success in the second half getting the ball down field. In fact ND picked off 3 passes/2 in the fourth quarter. One was returned to the 18 yard line. Eventually ND missed a 46 yard field goal, which likely would have been the game winner.

It was a tenacious game; fought hard to the end. ND was playing at the end to try to get into field goal range. The sack on first down in the last series sealed the deal.

Sorry for maybe a meaningless post. Ara was a great coach. People forget in the Anthony Davis game ND was missing 7 of their best players (suspension), but ND was still competitive.

Yanks are in first place; just picked up my football preview issue; wife working late again; just finished watching a tape of the famous (infamous?) tie with Michigan St. in the 1966 game of the century. I watched the game on T.V. in 66 as a teenager. At the time I didn't get why Ara was catching flak. It didn't look to me like he was playing for a tie. Watching the replay confirms my original conclusion. My evidence.

1. Both State and the Irish had all their time outs when ND took over the ball with about 54 sec. left. ND started their drive on their own 30. ND was 8/24 passing at the time. The whole second half was characterized by numerous plays for losses by both defenses.

2. ND ran 3 plays for 9 yards. State called quick time outs each time. ND didn't have to. Smart. ND would retain time but if State did get the ball back their TO would be used up.

3. ND went for a first down on 4th down on their own 39. Ara could have just punted the ball away if he was clearly playing for a tie.

4. On first down O'Brien went back to pass and was sacked.

5. With only 6 seconds left the last play was a run. Their was no way ND was going to get into field goal range.

Early in the 4th quarter. State ran the ball in what seemed like obvious passing downs. Neither team was having any success in the second half getting the ball down field. In fact ND picked off 3 passes/2 in the fourth quarter. One was returned to the 18 yard line. Eventually ND missed a 46 yard field goal, which likely would have been the game winner.

It was a tenacious game; fought hard to the end. ND was playing at the end to try to get into field goal range. The sack on first down in the last series sealed the deal.

Sorry for maybe a meaningless post. Ara was a great coach. People forget in the Anthony Davis game ND was missing 7 of their best players (suspension), but ND was still competitive.

Saw the game; the whole tie thing was bogus. Both teams were great that day. Probably the best 2 college teams, within their own era, that I have seen. (of course, w/o regard to era that is not the case) Webster, Page, Lynch, Smith and other greats!

People forget that the ND and MSU defenses in 1966 were among the best. ND's first unit defense gave up something like only 17 points all year (the team as a whole gave up 38). Not sure what MSU's defense stats were, but they solid too.

Here is the full game:

And here is the interview with Ara, and players about that game

Long story short, he didn't play for a tie.

I think they say Ara played for a tie because he did run the ball on the last possession, but my memory was Coley O'Brien could not complete a pass to save his life late in that game. I think Ara looked at it as though his first order of business was not to lose the game after having come back from a 10-0 deficit. He played conservatively, though no less so than Duffy Dougherty who was never criticized for it.

Coley did connect on a 38 yarder for a TD but other than that, the passing game was very suspicious. I have read accounts that said Coley was diabetic and not feeling well. Plus, All American Nick Eddy was out, Hanratty left early because of injury and George Goeddeke was also injured. That's some elite talent gone for a huge game at MSU. Maybe some kind of Halfback swing pass or reverse to try and get a long gainer that would set the Irish up for a FG try. Other than that, Ara did the right thing.

Who won the National Championship in 1966? Ara played the odds that day in Spartan Stadium. He didn't take any unnecessary chances against an equal opponent and in a hostile environment.
We were playing with a journeyman back up QB against the best defense they faced in five yrs . Anyone who doesnt think Ara did the right thing should follow soccer

Coley did connect on a 38 yarder for a TD but other than that, the passing game was very suspicious. I have read accounts that said Coley was diabetic and not feeling well. Plus, All American Nick Eddy was out, Hanratty left early because of injury and George Goeddeke was also injured. That's some elite talent gone for a huge game at MSU. Maybe some kind of Halfback swing pass or reverse to try and get a long gainer that would set the Irish up for a FG try. Other than that, Ara did the right thing.

Seymour was hurt as well

does anyone think that was the best team ara ever had even though the 73 team had a perfect record

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT