ADVERTISEMENT

9 wins is a LOCK

So, I should not expect ND to ever be a Bama, Georgia or even OSU????

If ND is just a good not elite program than fine.

Any team with a winning record is going to be a tough game for ND.

Is that more realistic for you???
I understand your expectations and I share your desire to win, but there’s a unique reality that you’re ignoring ……. and that’s the chasm that separates the academic standards that exist between ND and Alabama, Georgia and OSU

That’s the last time Bama lost to a team outside the top 25.

ND should have that same expectation. But we get worried about playing Duke?????

Yeah, ND will never be an elite program with that type of expectation.
No argument.

But do you honestly think that ND PRIORITIZES football the way Alabama does? ND could do tomorrow what Bama did when Saban came aboard, no question. It certainly has the RESOURCES. Trouble is, IT DOESN'T WISH TO.

And I would argue that with less than an Alabama type commitment, it's VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE for ND to get Alabama results. And/or to avoid upsets. As I mentioned elsewhere, with the portal and NIL, there's more parity than ever at the second level.

Consider Marshall. The guy who TORCHED ND in that game was the FIVE-STAR running back who transferred in. He wasn't your standard Marshall RB of the past. But he did just as much damage in a Marshall uniform as some of those USC tailbacks of the 60's and 70's wearing CARDINAL AND GOLD.

Can ND at some point beat the better teams on a ONE-OFF basis here and there? Sure. But to dominate the sport as Alabama does now and ND did in the 1940's is CURRENTLY OUT OF REACH.

An NC could happen, given the right combination of fortuitous circumstances and RAW LUCK, but to DOMINATE takes the HIGHEST PRIORITIZING.

You think that's what matters to the people who run ND?

I can't see it.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
I understand your expectations and I share your desire to win, but there’s a unique reality that you’re ignoring ……. and that’s the chasm that separates the academic standards that exist between ND and Alabama, Georgia and OSU
I think that argument is out dated my friend.

CJ Stroud is a very smart young man. He easily could have gotten into ND.

Bryce Young graduated HS with honors. He also could have gotten into ND,

Do you really believe the ND roster is filled with Rhodes Scholars???

Cj stroud very smart.... come on bro. You have never heard him talk before in your life obviously.

He also had the lowest wonderlic score of any QB, 18%. Out of 100

You really don't have a freaking clue. Great qb, not the brightest individual I've ever hard speak. Not at all

It’s not an outdated argument, it’s a current reality.

By the way, you only named two QB’s, what about the other 83 players ?

On all of the pre-season All-American lists only two (2) ND players were listed in the first four (4) Teams, Alt and Morrison, so where is the loaded NFL talent ?

Last edited:
4-4-3,

I‘m in your camp.

Faust was a disastrous HIRE !
A horrible decision by the Administration !

Zorich’s bar is unrealistically high.

in addition he seems to ignore the fact that when people make flawed decisions they’re not so quick to admit that their decision was flawed and they’re not so quick to remedy their decision. That’s just human nature.

And it’s not just that MF is the new head coach at ND, it’s the fact that he’s also a new Head coach !

Time will tell
Pat- it’s not terribly unrealistic:

Win the games you’re supposed to win, then win 1 of the 3 tough ones. ND and Freeman should be able to do that.

Pat- it’s not terribly unrealistic:

Win the games you’re supposed to win, then win 1 of the 3 tough ones. ND and Freeman should be able to do that.
Mike, Many’s the slip between the cup and the lip.

In recent years we’ve lost a number of games that we were supposed to win.

Winning isn’t easy.

Time will tell !

Reactions: IrishMike409
Mike, Many’s the slip between the cup and the lip.

In recent years we’ve lost a number of games that we were supposed to win.

Winning isn’t easy.

Time will tell !
I’m with you Pat.

“Winning isn’t easy”……I agree 100%.

I have high hopes for this group. MF was forced to learn in the job in 22.

I think this is a 10-win team, with 11 or even 12 there for the taking.

There also chasms that separate ND from Duke, Louisville, Pitt and everybody on the schedule besides the big 3.

On all of the pre-season All-American lists only two (2) ND players were listed in the first four (4) Teams, Alt and Morrison, so where is the loaded NFL talent ?
I only named 2 but I can name more if you want to go down that road.

What players did ND want to offer but they couldn’t based off of grades???

Are you actually saying ND is not loaded with NFL talent?

since when did a 3.0 get you into ND... because that is what CJ Stroud had... and this ND team is different.. loaded... and will not lie down for any team this year..
Hmmm.. I didn't know a 3.28 got you honors in highschool either.. unless you meant honorable mention!!!

Last edited:

Yes, and please go down that road.

NFL talent would manifest itself by being named in All-American team selections and ND only produced two players, hence, as of today, I don’t see where ND is “loaded” with NFL talent. I’m hoping that you can convince me otherwise !

Cj stroud very smart.... come on bro. You have never heard him talk before in your life obviously.

He also had the lowest wonderlic score of any QB, 18%. Out of 100

You really don't have a freaking clue. Great qb, not the brightest individual I've ever hard speak. Not at all
The test was created in 1939 by Eldon F. Wonderlic. It consists of 50 multiple choice questions to be answered in 12 minutes.

Average score in the NFL by position​

The Wonderlic test is used in the NFL Scouting Combine. Paul Brown introduced the test to the league in the late 1960s.[34] According to Paul Zimmerman's The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football,[35] the average score of an NFL player by position as of 1984 was:

The test was created in 1939 by Eldon F. Wonderlic. It consists of 50 multiple choice questions to be answered in 12 minutes.

Average score in the NFL by position​

The Wonderlic test is used in the NFL Scouting Combine. Paul Brown introduced the test to the league in the late 1960s.[34] According to Paul Zimmerman's The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football,[35] the average score of an NFL player by position as of 1984 was:

This is a new test. Bryce Young got a 98

Stroud got an 18. He was the lowest qb in this year's draft

since when did a 3.0 get you into ND... because that is what CJ Stroud had... and this ND team is different.. loaded... and will not lie down for any team this year..
Hmmm.. I didn't know a 3.28 got you honors in highschool either.. unless you meant honorable mention!!!
The internet tell you that???? Lol

Do you really think a “kids” gpa will be made public???

Elite DL is the number one requirement to be a NC contender. That's where the acadademic requirements will continue to impede ND. I'd hazard to guess Elite DL and Elite Academics are not plentiful.

Elite DL is the number one requirement to be a NC contender. That's where the acadademic requirements will continue to impede ND. I'd hazard to guess Elite DL and Elite Academics are not plentiful.
It’s not just admissions stopping elite kids either. Justin Scott is a great example. Offered by ND, from Chicago and a Catholic high school at that.

It’s hard for a lot of fans to accept this generation of high school players just don’t want to go to ND. It’s a tiny Catholic school in Indiana. As we’ve said a million times over, it takes a special kid to come to ND. They’re out there, but certainly not the majority.

It’s not like ND won’t lower standards a little bit for football players. I had a class with Jaylon Smith, Will Fuller and Greg Bryant and I can promise you they weren’t brainiacs.

It’s not just admissions stopping elite kids either. Justin Scott is a great example. Offered by ND, from Chicago and a Catholic high school at that.

It’s hard for a lot of fans to accept this generation of high school players just don’t want to go to ND. It’s a tiny Catholic school in Indiana. As we’ve said a million times over, it takes a special kid to come to ND. They’re out there, but certainly not the majority.

It’s not like ND won’t lower standards a little bit for football players. I had a class with Jaylon Smith, Will Fuller and Greg Bryant and I can promise you they weren’t brainiacs.
What do they teach in Anime Culture 202?

The internet tell you that???? Lol

Do you really think a “kids” gpa will be made public???
Actually yes.. they can get it.. but if it makes you feel any better I am from Rancho.. in Ca.. and a couple of his close friends worked for me.. CJ is a great kid. .. but he wasn't getting into ND!

Actually yes.. they can get it.. but if it makes you feel any better I am from Rancho.. in Ca.. and a couple of his close friends worked for me.. CJ is a great kid. .. but he wasn't getting into ND!
Yep. I know his former coach.

However large it may be -- and it's a fair and debatable point -- the EVIDENCE cites that ND's current TALENT LEVEL is not what it was either under Holtz or Faust.

Holtz: FOUR NUMBER ONE CLASSES IN SUCCESSION.

Faust: THREE NUMBER ONE CLASSES and another ranked SEVENTH ALL-TIME at ND.

It's just not a question of ND not being able to offer -- again a debatable point -- it's also a question of TOO MANY OF THE VERY BEST SIMPLY NOT COMING -- EVEN WHEN OFFERED.

Who wants to go to CLASS when you don't have to when having to PRACTICE FOOTBALL? The only C I ever got in college was during the one-year I was a varsity starter before getting injured and having to pack it in.

Doing academic work and playing football -- and I was merely at a small Ivy playing D-3 -- is EXTREMELY DEMANDING.

Plus, many of these kids are simply NOT academically inclined.

Let's see ND get even ONE number one class before RETIRING THE TALENT GAP ARGUMENT. Again, unless there are STRINGS PULLED, I don't see it happening.

Reactions: Zorich 88
However large it may be -- and it's a fair and debatable point -- the EVIDENCE cites that ND's current TALENT LEVEL is not what it was either under Holtz or Faust.

Holtz: FOUR NUMBER ONE CLASSES IN SUCCESSION.

Faust: THREE NUMBER ONE CLASSES and another ranked SEVENTH ALL-TIME at ND

It's just not a question of ND not being able to offer -- again a debatable point -- it's also a question of TOO MANY OF THE VERY BEST SIMPLY NOT COMING -- EVEN WHEN OFFERED.

Who wants to go to CLASS when you don't have to when having to PRACTICE FOOTBALL? The only C I ever got in college was during the one-year I was a varsity starter before getting injured and having to pack it in.

Doing academic work and playing football -- and I was merely at a small Ivy playing D-3 -- is EXTREMELY DEMANDING.

Plus, many of these kids are simply NOT academically inclined.

Let's see ND get even ONE number one class before RETIRING THE TALENT GAP ARGUMENT. Again, unless there are STRINGS PULLED, I don't see it happening.
. It's coming!!!😁😁😁

I'm NOT a Freeman fan, but why would he HAVE TO GO if he didn't meet your criteria?

Ara lost to the two ranked teams ND played in 72 -- USC: 42-23 and Nebraska: 40-6. ND was also upset that year at home 30-26 by an UNRANKED 30-POINT UNDERDOG MISSOURI TEAM that lost to Nebraska, ND's opponent in the Orange bowl that year, 62-0.

Ara wasn't fired and won an NC the next season.

My other point involves a number of ND coaches' won/loss records for their first two seasons:

Faust -- 11-10-1
Holtz -- 13-10
Davie -- 16-9
Willingham --15-9
Kelly -- 16-10

If ND were to lose to the three favored teams and get upset, say, by NC State or Louisville but won its bowl game and finished 9-4, giving Freeman a two-year record of 18-8, do you honestly think he would warrant firing? Because there ISN'T A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL that ND would actually do it.

In fact, if Freeman were to win 9 games this year and total 18 for his first two seasons, he'd actually rank closer to Devine's 17-6 for his first two years and Weis's 19-6. And there's no way either of them was getting fired after year two. Why would there have been? They were winning over 70% of their games.

So, if not the numbers, ON WHAT BASIS do you feel Freeman would have to be LET GO?
Like the research you did and agree no way he gets fired—-even if he goes 7-5. I think a closer look at schedules is important though. massive talent advantage over every team on our schedule except the 3

Be honest, do you believe that every player on the ND roster has a 3.5 or above????

Do your same google search for current ND players HS GPA. I promise a lot of them had a 3.0.

Be honest, do you believe that every player on the ND roster has a 3.5 or above????

Do your same google search for current ND players HS GPA. I promise a lot of them had a 3.0.
I'm sure they did. But CJ aint no 3.0 and if he is that is sketchy as can be. Also Id like to see his SAT.

No offense to the kids but he's not the brightest and hes one kid I think would have trouble at ND

An elite QB is not mandatory to win a title. That's been proven. More than once.
For us it is.

If you can recruit at an elite level every year, elite QB isnt necessary.

We cant do that. We need an elite QB to win a title

Reactions: Zorich 88
For us it is.

If you can recruit at an elite level every year, elite QB isnt necessary.

We cant do that. We need an elite QB to win a title
Elite QB’s without a highly efficient OL won’t deliver a title.

Football remains a team game and it’s the horses up front that determine outcomes

I'm sure they did. But CJ aint no 3.0 and if he is that is sketchy as can be. Also Id like to see his SAT.

No offense to the kids but he's not the brightest and hes one kid I think would have trouble at ND
I just don’t buy the argument that the academic standards at ND is keeping ND from winning a championship.

Yes, I agree, not everyone can get into ND. However, there are plenty of true student athletes that are elite that ND just misses out on.

I just don’t buy the argument that the academic standards at ND is keeping ND from winning a championship.

Yes, I agree, not everyone can get into ND. However, there are plenty of true student athletes that are elite that ND just misses out on.
Why does ND miss out on them ?

Why does ND miss out on them ?
Lots of reasons

1. ND is a boring campus for kids. No fraternities, not a great night life. Indiana is boring for some.

2. No Heisman, or championship in their generation. This is a big deal. Major recruits wanna see 1 if not both of these.

3. ND has been embarrassing in Championship and playoff games

4. Now factor in NIL money

5. ND hasn’t produced an elite NFL QB since…

This is a few reasons

Lots of reasons

1. ND is a boring campus for kids. No fraternities, not a great night life. Indiana is boring for some.

2. No Heisman, or championship in their generation. This is a big deal. Major recruits wanna see 1 if not both of these.

3. ND has been embarrassing in Championship and playoff games

4. Now factor in NIL money

5. ND hasn’t produced an elite NFL QB since…

This is a few reasons
If those are the reasons, then how do you explain how, according to you, Notre Dame has NFL talent at every position ?

If those are the reasons, then how do you explain how, according to you, Notre Dame has NFL talent at every position ?
Man, you are embarrassing yourself.

Of course NFL caliber players wanna go to ND. What are you talking about.

Man, I am getting off this crazy train with you.

I am headed to watch UFC

Man, you are embarrassing yourself.

Of course NFL caliber players wanna go to ND. What are you talking about.

Man, I am getting off this crazy train with you.

I am headed to watch UFC
I was hoping that you would see how you were advocating for conflicting/contradictory positions, but I was mistaken.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT