ADVERTISEMENT

Words of Wisdom from Muffet McGraw

“Baby boomer parents who were "old school" have given way to Gen X parents who have sheltered their kids from disappointment, adversity and failure and by doing so have left them without the skills or toughness to navigate through life. This is a generation of kids who come to college having never learned the valuable lessons that failing teaches us.”

Ok, seems plausible, but is there proof of this? As a student at ND, I was taught that all my claims needed some sort of support/proof. I don’t see any provided in her piece other than the anecdotal type.

“Baby boomer parents who were "old school" have given way to Gen X parents who have sheltered their kids from disappointment, adversity and failure and by doing so have left them without the skills or toughness to navigate through life. This is a generation of kids who come to college having never learned the valuable lessons that failing teaches us.”

Ok, seems plausible, but is there proof of this? As a student at ND, I was taught that all my claims needed some sort of support/proof. I don’t see any provided in her piece other than the anecdotal type.

comes under the heading of just look around you

the evidence is EVERYWHERE

Reactions: die4irish

I think living in the real world and dealing with that generation will give you all the proof you need as to the validity of what she's saying. And if you are involved in education or in youth activities, like sports, scouts, dancing, et al, you will have a treasure trove of anecdotes.

I would file this under "kids today are soft".

Which older people have been claiming for the past 3000 years.

I would file this under "kids today are soft".

Which older people have been claiming for the past 3000 years.
Ivan, the difference is that parents are now often driving the "softness", not lamenting about it. That's a departure from most of history.

Reactions: francade
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT