ADVERTISEMENT

With what appears to be an expansion of certain conferences

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
by defections from other conferences, will the final landscape contain two super conferences ……. OR
NO conferences ?

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a fellow who believed that in Division I, there will be no conferences within five years.

Neither one of us liked the current shifts in college football, but it would appear that more shifts lie ahead

by defections from other conferences, will the final landscape contain two super conferences ……. OR
NO conferences ?

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a fellow who believed that in Division I, there will be no conferences within five years.

Neither one of us liked the current shifts in college football, but it would appear that more shifts lie ahead
The few people I’ve discussed this with just shrug it off and immediately make comparisons to pro football and pro baseball. East and West Conferences with two or three divisions seems to be easily digested. Personally, I hate this direction and really like the passion and loyalty that the five major conferences generated and the regional rivalries that elicit so much emotion; and I think we’re losing a lot of what makes college football so exciting. I wouldn’t be surprised if college football goes full circle in terms of conference alignments over the next fifteen years or so, but it looks like two super conferences are more than likely in the next five years. TV revenue will dictate.

What @Telx1 said. A league is being formed and the conferences will be in name only. The league/conference will split teams into divisions (for max media $$ ofc) that will resemble the old conferences without smaller or private schools.

One example is the BUG10 league will form a PAC division that will be mostly the same as the old PAC8 but without WSU or wOSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT