ADVERTISEMENT

Will ND increase football schollies

Crazy that it's getting bumped back up to 105 after all these years.
I just looked that up. I must admit I always thought "House" was referring to the House of Representatives when I'd seen headlines about this before. And I wondered why Congress had gotten involved. But it turns out House was a swimmer for Arizona State who sued the NCAA. Didn't know that.

As far as scholarship limits, didn't they institute 85 to create more parity in the sport? I guess the courts don't want parity in the sport. The NFL has a 53-man roster limit.

Reactions: NDinNJ
It's Notre Dame Football which sometimes feels like is being managed out of a senior living retirement center or something so probably about 10 years later than everybody else.

There was a podcast recently, forgot which, had Tom Lemming on it. Lemming said ND is missing out on most of the Top 50 athletes because other schools are dropping bags of money in their laps sometimes at the last moment. It's unbelievable, the NCAA is simply turning a blind eye to pay for play. ND following the rules regarding NIL and getting punished for it.

At this point, I'm just ready for them to just allow pay for play. Coupled with the increase in scholarships from 85 to 105, I hope ND uses its vast resources and wealth to simply go NY Yankees on the college football world and buy up the best roster money can buy. Just to give a big FU to the teams that are circumventing the rules on NIL.

At this point, I'm just ready for them to just allow pay for play. Coupled with the increase in scholarships from 85 to 105, I hope ND uses its vast resources and wealth to simply go NY Yankees on the college football world and buy up the best roster money can buy. Just to give a big FU to the teams that are circumventing the rules on NIL.
lol ya right. ND is still trying to get congress to intervene and send college football back to the stone ages where players are considered indentured servants to the colleges.

Last edited:
lol ya right. ND is still trying to get congress to intervene and send football back to the days where players are indentured servants to the colleges.
That cat is out of the bag and has been. However you are wrong about ND. If you read up on the history of NIL, ND was at the forefront of NIL and was pushing for the student athletes to get compensated for their Name Image and Likeness.
They are stopping short of pay for play, and I could see why. The primary mission for universities is education. Athletics is secondary. At the end of the day they are amateur athletes and shouldn't be paid directly.

Yes and still relative peanuts compared to what their fair market value is.

I bet a Manti Te'o esque superstar is probably worth high 8 to low 9 figures ($80-$120M) to an institution over a 3-4 year college career.
You aren't very good with numbers and economics. Stick to 3rd grade math.

Reactions: Golson5
Yes and still relative peanuts compared to what their fair market value is.

I bet a Manti Te'o esque superstar is probably worth high 8 to low 9 figures ($80-$120M) to an institution over a 3-4 year college career.
You're a nut

If you read up on the history of NIL, ND was at the forefront of NIL and was pushing for the student athletes to get compensated for their Name Image and Likeness.
Citation needed.

Citation needed.
Do I really have to do your research for you. Former AD Jack Swarbrick was talking about NIL back in 2014. This is just one of several articles.

Citation needed.
Most recent. It's not that ND is against student athletes being compensated, it's the lack of rules and enforcement around it. Even pro sports have rules around compensation. How free agency is handled, salary caps, etc. College football has rules around NIL which prevent schools from paying student athletes directly, but we all know bags of money are being offered to entice prospects to play for a particular school.

Reactions: raycyrx
Most recent. It's not that ND is against student athletes being compensated, it's the lack of rules and enforcement around it. Even pro sports have rules around compensation. How free agency is handled, salary caps, etc. College football has rules around NIL which prevent schools from paying student athletes directly, but we all know bags of money are being offered to entice prospects to play for a particular school.
Up front cash payments are certainly being thrown around to lure certain elite players to certain schools.

Up front cash payments are certainly being thrown around to lure certain elite players to certain schools.
Supposedly the House settlement includes plans for cracking down on improper usage of NIL. But we'll see whether that actually happens or not.

Supposedly the House settlement includes plans for cracking down on improper usage of NIL. But we'll see whether that actually happens or not.
You can’t track cash if someone wants a player badly enough.

Up front cash payments to elite CFB players has been happening for decades.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but what's the point of this, I thought schools were all out of money and in the red, and now they have all these new scholarships to hand out, especially to non-revenue producing sports. So obviously they're working some angle, and laying the groundwork for not paying football/basketball players like regular professionals out of the total revenue pool, which is what they dread and will do anything to prevent. Like for instance creating tons of additional scholarships out of the blue in financial hard times, where college is becoming totally unaffordable generally speaking, and by some legal tradition or sensibility that they hope to be able to exploit in as subtly expedient fashion as they can arrange, they might be able to argue successfully against full professionalization. Is that what this is?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT