ADVERTISEMENT

Why again was is it sold to us that keeping Tommy Rees was a good thing????

football1irish

Shakes Down The Thunder
Nov 17, 2002
He was never a very smart or effective player and might be worse as a coach.

Formations where the receiver is almost colliding with the running back on handoffs?!?!?

Multiple isolation plays to Matt Salerno?!?!?

Offensive Guard pointing to someone to signal each snap.

Predictable, forced passes to Mayer.

Slow, timid looking offense.

Overall a poorly called and coached offensive game.

Please build him up as a hot head coach so we can get someone new asap! 🙏🙏🙏

Last edited:
Have you guys noticed that our offenses have sucked against top opponents for like the last 20-plus years? It doesn't really matter who the offensive coordinator is. To me the biggest issue is our offensive line is completely overrated. As I said on another post, we'll steamroll the lesser opponents on our schedule, but in these big games, there is just never a stretch where you think, "Wow, our line is great."

Reactions: theskibro and 4-4-3

Formations where the receiver is almost colliding with the running back in handoffs?!?!?

Predictable forced passes to Mayer.

Ouch!

The idea to keep Rees as OC can be summed up as: the only thing keeping ND from attaining Bama level was recruiting. Kelly could not recruit at the top level because he did not appeal to today's 18 year olds; but the Kelly/Rees offense was wonderful.

So you hire a new head coach who can recruit and teach defense, and keep Rees for his offensive mind. If Rees was in command of Ohio State's offense, I think he would damned good with a Heisman level QB and all that 5 star talent.

The idea to keep Rees as OC can be summed up as: the only thing keeping ND from attaining Bama level was recruiting. Kelly could not recruit at the top level because he did not appeal to today's 18 year olds; but the Kelly/Rees offense was wonderful.

So you hire a new head coach who can recruit and teach defense, and keep Rees for his offensive mind. If Rees was in command of Ohio State's offense, I think he would damned good with a Heisman level QB and all that 5 star talent.
Kelly/ Rees offense was wonderful... what are you talking about

He should have the season to show he can open the offense up and be more than an expansive check down system.

Josh Lugg was the glaring weak link last night. His play alone shut multiple drives down. With Patterson returning from injury or business decision then Lugg needs to go asap.

There needs to be an effort to showcase the WR position if we are ever going to hope to recruit top WR again. We lost our best recruit last season because of how easy it is to point to how underutilized the position is in the Rees system.

We have a potential great one in Styles and 3 talented youngsters.

Its about time to move on from Willie Mays Lenzy other than returns and reverses. He may run like Mays but he can’t catch a cold or run decent routes

He should have the season to show he can open the offense up and be more than an expansive check down system.

Josh Lugg was the glaring weak link last night. His play alone shut multiple drives down. With Patterson returning from injury or business decision then Lugg needs to go asap.

There needs to be an effort to showcase the WR position if we are ever going to hope to recruit top WR again. We lost our best recruit last season because of how easy it is to point to how underutilized the position is in the Rees system.

Its about time to move on from Willie Mays Lenzy other than returns and reverses. He may run like Mays but he can’t catch a cold or run decent routes
I thought we had a great one potentially in styles… he didn’t look it last night, looked slower …. Nd added all this weight and looked slow again

I thought we had a great one potentially in styles… he didn’t look it last night, looked slower …. Nd added all this weight and looked slow again
I get why you might say that. He didn’t really look like he ever hit full speed down the sideline to me as he was trying to set up a cutback against the pursuit. It would have been great to see a few more p,and for him dialed up last night. Instead Rees decided to feature Salerno and Willy Mays Lenzy on the rare WR plays.

The OSU defense is also incredibly fast

I don’t think Styles calling card is going to be a straight blazer like Will Fuller. He is more a route runner who is quick in space.

I get why you might say that. He didn’t really look like he ever hit full speed down the sideline to me as he was trying to set up a cutback against the pursuit. It would have been great to see a few more p,and for him dialed up last night. Instead Rees decided to feature Salerno and Willy Mays Lenzy on the rare WR plays.

The OSU defense is also incredibly fast

I don’t think Styles calling card is going to be a straight blazer like Will Fuller. He is more a route runner who is quick in space.
Agree but didn’t see anything last night to signal “alpha wr”

Some of it was the game plan and give OSU credit. That play on 3-6 flushing CJ and he makes the toss to an RB I think. That was a back breaker. You get that stop and your still within reach

The game plan was not to make a new QB put the team on his back. Small gains. Control clock. Be on it to the end. The failure was when we got down two scores, that plan goes out the window.

I think if you get that stop they go back to Q1 with Estime and try to setup the last Q4 drive for a 17-14 win.

Twice we where on the doorstep of FG range and came up empty. In that game you have to come away with 6 or 10.

There was positives. No TO’s. Moment was not too big. Some good looking Frosh and I think TB will grow fast.

To fix is the kickoff return. The OL has a ways to go. TB getting out of the pocket. CJ extended plays and hurt us, TB has to do that.

The OL is the biggest surprise to me. I didn’t really see the “Harry” effect.

Zeke was just as bad or worse

I thought Styles looked better in the bowl game than last night. I was surprised

Reactions: Rionegro
I gotta say it wasn't that impressive an offensive showing. And I agree about the seemingly forced passes to Michael Mayer. Almost as if Rees was reading the preseason media reports, or listenting to fan podcasts for tips and pointers on what he should do.

And there is nothing special about HH as an OL coach. That's just more insane BK-bashing. Or in this case, BK's longtime right hand man, Jeff Quinn, who by association was not unpredictably hated even more than BK himself. And so HH is exalted by contrast. But even beyond that, HH was already OL coach at ND for many years, and his OLs more or less defined ND's supposedly shitty OL play that ND fans get so disgusted by....

The fact that this has not really even been acknowledged by BK haters, is almost like a literal, clinical form of mass insanity. As in HH WAS ALREADY ND'S OL COACH FOR A LONG STRETCH, YEARS THAT WERE HIGHLY MARKED BY FAN DISCONTENT AND/OR INDIFFERENCE WITH OUR OL PLAY. THE SAME FANS THAT ARE NOW HAILING HIM AS A SAVIOR OL COACH....

Anyway, definitely not that great an offensive showing, though I think Buchner absolutely looks like a capable passer, and hopefully will develop into a top QB with time....

I gotta say it wasn't that impressive an offensive showing. And I agree about the seemingly forced passes to Michael Mayer. Almost as if Rees was reading the preseason media reports, or listenting to fan podcasts for tips and pointers on what he should do.

And there is nothing special about HH as an OL coach. That's just more insane BK-bashing. Or in this case, BK's longtime right hand man, Jeff Quinn, who by association was not unpredictably hated even more than BK himself. And so HH is exalted by contrast. But even beyond that, HH was already OL coach at ND for many years, and his OLs more or less defined ND's supposedly shitty OL play that ND fans get so disgusted by....

The fact that this has not really even been acknowledged by BK haters, is almost like a literal, clinical form of mass insanity. As in HH WAS ALREADY ND'S OL COACH FOR A LONG STRETCH, YEARS THAT WERE HIGHLY MARKED BY FAN DISCONTENT AND/OR INDIFFERENCE WITH OUR OL PLAY. THE SAME FANS THAT ARE NOW HAILING HIM AS A SAVIOR OL COACH....

Anyway, definitely not that great an offensive showing, though I think Buchner absolutely looks like a capable passer, and hopefully will develop into a top QB with time....
Lots of solid points here outside of the weird Brian Kelly fatal attraction stuff.

With HH the parts always seemed to turn out greater than the whole.

Rees offense has serious issues. Time will tell but their could be truth to the notion BK took the unwarranted blame for Rees mind numbingly conservative scheme the past few years. BK did offer a bag to Tommy to join him on the Bayou so end of the day it is likely at least a collaborative effort between the two, and we are left waiting to see if or when Tommy evolves?

Zeke was just as bad or worse

I thought Styles looked better in the bowl game than last night. I was surprised
"I thought Styles looked better in the bowl game than last night. I was surprised"

Outside of the opening play, was Styles even targeted after? I don't recall any throws his way

It's going to come down ND values and Freeman's skills as a recruiter. This will be fighting against the big bucks other schools will be able to offer their recruits.
No 5* will be safe until he signs an LOI. This is the new college football game.
ND will never have the depth of Bama, GA, Clemson, OSU and probably USC. Our guys have to play 60 minutes, their guys will play 25 minutes each.

It's going to come down ND values and Freeman's skills as a recruiter. This will be fighting against the big bucks other schools will be able to offer their recruits.
No 5* will be safe until he signs an LOI. This is the new college football game.
ND will never have the depth of Bama, GA, Clemson, OSU and probably USC. Our guys have to play 60 minutes, their guys will play 25 minutes each.
We already lost our top two commits for 23,
Our currently committed too recruit for 23 will most likely be going to Oklahoma. Recruiting is good but closer to Kelly years than bama osu Clemson Georgia top classes

Yup, took all of one game for the know nothing keyboard jockeys to start on firing coaches. Offensive line didn't perform, probably should fire HH. Same idiots who don't have a freaking clue.

Reactions: irishalice
"I thought Styles looked better in the bowl game than last night. I was surprised"

Outside of the opening play, was Styles even targeted after? I don't recall any throws his way
Yeah, I think they went completely away from him.

Formations where the receiver is almost colliding with the running back on handoffs?!?!?

Predictable, forced passes to Mayer.

tOSU had better players and better depth

Surprised by this one. NDame scored plenty against the best Okie State D if have seen in at least 10 years in the Bowl Game. But lost. The OSU QB, Spencer, is really good. Then the OSU D coach, who was terrific, got to tOSU and did a good job figuring out what he could not stop 9 months ago. With obviously more talented players. You guys will be fine if you can beat Clemson and USC. Please beat USC. Then you will be fine.

Reactions: irishalice
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT