ADVERTISEMENT

We want PJ to play entire second half

I want ND to hang 50 on them first... This is a ranked team. A New Years 6 bowl is still an option. Beat them senseless, then show some class and get Phil in and run the full offense for 3 drives.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I'm certainly not going to minimize it. ND needs a stop to start the 2nd half and at least one more touchdown before they pull Ian. I want a beyond convincing win. Not 20 points. 40+

It’s 38-3 at the half. Not convincing enough for you?

Never been NDs style. Respect the Navy!

You respect your opponent by treating them like you're playing for the national championship. Match their effort and intensity for 60 minutes and use your vastly superior athleticism to your advantage.

If this was war Navy would be relentless until their objective was achieved. They'd crush you with their training, weapons and cutting edge technology.

But it's not war... It's football. This is your battlefield, not yours. Eviscerate them at your craft as they would you, if it was theirs.

Then let up late when you've left no doubt and show some class. You want next year's Navy team to think "remember what happened last year when we were a one loss, ranked team". We didn't stand a chance"... That doubt going into the game will serve you well.

It’s 38-3 at the half. Not convincing enough for you?

Convincing enough for a half of football. Not nearly convincing enough to let up. They are wobbling, have been knocked down time and time again and the referee won't stop the fight. You know their corner won't throw in the towel. That's not what they do... You smell blood. End the fight.

Reactions: G_a_r_y
Convincing enough for a half of football. Not nearly convincing enough to let up. They are wobbling, have been knocked down time and time again and the referee won't stop the fight. You know their corner won't throw in the towel. That's not what they do... You smell blood. End the fight.

The game’s over. They don’t have the style to catch up now. Kelly will probably play Book one more series. I just hope PJ and Clark get some good game experience, along with other backups.

You respect your opponent by treating them like you're playing for the national championship. Match their effort and intensity for 60 minutes and use your vastly superior athleticism to your advantage.

If this was war Navy would be relentless until their objective was achieved. They'd crush you with their training, weapons and cutting edge technology.

But it's not war... It's football. This is your battlefield, not yours. Eviscerate them at your craft as they would you, if it was theirs.

Then let up late when you've left no doubt and show some class. You want next year's Navy team to think "remember what happened last year when we were a one loss, ranked team". We didn't stand a chance"... That doubt going into the game will serve you well.

Modern college football statistics, i.e., those used by the CFP committee, discount anything that happens when the win probability is past 99% in the second half. Game control, plays made when the win probability is under 75% for either team against strength of schedule, etc., have thankfully replaced 1987 “style points” when some writer would open his newspaper and see a 52-20 score and vote based on that.

Everything after that score that made it 45-3 means nothing in the rankings.

Modern college football statistics, i.e., those used by the CFP committee, discount anything that happens when the win probability is past 99% in the second half. Game control, plays made when the win probability is under 75% for either team against strength of schedule, etc., have thankfully replaced 1987 “style points” when some writer would open his newspaper and see a 52-20 score and vote based on that.

Everything after that score that made it 45-3 means nothing in the rankings.

If you want to build a dominance mentality, which you need to win a championship, you need to know how to dominate for 60 minutes and you don't hold your second string players to a lower standard than the you do your first string players... You set a standard and you consistently demand that it's met. Nick Saban admits that is a huge part of him being the GOAT. A relentless commitment to perfection, even if you know you'll never attain or maintain it.

If you want to build a dominance mentality, which you need to win a championship, you need to know how to dominate for 60 minutes and you don't hold your second string players to a lower standard than the you do your first string players... You set a standard and you consistently demand that it's met. Nick Saban admits that is a huge part of him being the GOAT. A relentless commitment to perfection, even if you know you'll never attain or maintain it.

Ok, I can agree with this, but that’s different than what you mentioned about a “New Year’s Six bid in play,” to which this was a reply. What happened after 38-3 and absolutely after 45-3 had ZERO affect on FPI, overall efficiencies, game control, etc., (the things rankings look at) since the win probability was already 99%+.

This was one of the most impressive wins of the year for any team given what each team had done coming in. Navy had a top 15–20 offense and has led the entire year. ND will already get the boost from this win and if we won 63-17 or 70-17 wouldn’t have affected those statistics—it would’ve just looked ugly that we ran it up on the Naval Academy.

Ok, I can agree with this, but that’s different than what you mentioned about a “New Year’s Six bid in play,” to which this was a reply. What happened after 38-3 and absolutely after 45-3 had ZERO affect on FPI, overall efficiencies, game control, etc., (the things rankings look at) since the win probability was already 99%+.

This was one of the most impressive wins of the year for any team given what each team had done coming in. Navy had a top 15–20 offense and has led the entire year. ND will already get the boost from this win and if we won 63-17 or 70-17 wouldn’t have affected those statistics—it would’ve just looked ugly that we ran it up on the Naval Academy.

Why is it ugly when ND runs its offense and scores big points on the Naval Academy?

Last week Navy hung 56 on UCONN.
Last year they hung 51 on Lehigh.
In 2016 they hung 52 on Forham.
In 2016 they hung 66 on East Carolina.
In 2016 they hung FRIGGEN 75 on SMU.
In 2015 they hung 55 on SMU.

Navy runs the score up on teams all the time. People need to stop treating them differently on the field of play just because they represent the Navy. They show no mercy to other teams. The feeling should be mutual.

After the game you respect the hell out of them and all they'll go on to do.

Why is it ugly when ND runs its offense and scores big points on the Naval Academy?

Last week Navy hung 56 on UCONN.
Last year they hung 51 on Lehigh.
In 2016 they hung 52 on Forham.
In 2016 they hung 66 on East Carolina.
In 2016 they hung FRIGGEN 75 on SMU.
In 2015 they hung 55 on SMU.

Navy runs the score up on teams all the time. People need to stop treating them differently on the field of play just because they represent the Navy. They show no mercy to other teams. The feeling should be mutual.

After the game you respect the hell out of them and all they'll go on to do.

You’re replying to a strawman you’ve created. In this post, I’m replying specifically about the fact you said:

I want ND to hang 50 on them first... This is a ranked team. A New Years 6 bowl is still an option. Beat them senseless, then show some class and get Phil in and run the full offense for 3 drives.

Modern statistics DONT CARE what you do after the win probability is over 99%. Those statistics don’t care if you “hang 50” on a team after you’re already blowing them out. Game control doesn’t change. Efficiencies don’t change.

The rest about building a culture I can agree with, but you’re wrong if you think “hanging 50” affects modern rankings or our chances at a NY6 bowl bid.

You’re replying to a strawman you’ve created. In this post, I’m replying specifically about the fact you said:

Modern statistics DONT CARE what you do after the win probability is over 99%. Those statistics don’t care if you “hang 50” on a team after you’re already blowing them out. Game control doesn’t change. Efficiencies don’t change.

The rest about building a culture I can agree with, but you’re wrong if you think “hanging 50” affects modern rankings or our chances at a NY6 bowl bid.
Who cares about modern statistics. Why do you keep bringing it up.

Who cares about modern statistics. Why do you keep bringing it up.

The CFP only uses modern statistics—they’re the statistics that matter.

Addironally, every professional and college team and every single Fortune 1000 corporation spends millions and millions of dollars on “modern data alanlytics.” I, for one, am glad. In 1989,Minnesota would have been top 5 and Baylor top 6, but modern stats analytics picked apart their strength of schedule AND game control scores.

The CFP only uses modern statistics—they’re the statistics that matter.

Addironally, every professional and college team and every single Fortune 1000 corporation spends millions and millions of dollars on “modern data alanlytics.” I, for one, am glad. In 1989,Minnesota would have been top 5 and Baylor top 6, but modern stats analytics picked apart their strength of schedule AND game control scores.
This isn't true about the cfp committee. They use multiple things outside of modern statistics. Record, conf championship, eye test, watching film, etc. Analytics is one part of the equation. Not the most important part

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT