ADVERTISEMENT

We could have found an amazing QB in Book

ndnd

Posts Like A Champion
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2003
I saw his interview after the game he sounds very cool calm and confident . This guy is better than advertised . I feel much better about our chances against Stanford next week

Pirate Leach wanted him real bad, he likes QB’s who are accurate and can toss it 60 times a game.

Reactions: Kelso86
I saw his interview after the game he sounds very cool calm and confident . This guy is better than advertised . I feel much better about our chances against Stanford next week
I was saying the same thing. He reminded me of Joe Montana, although he's got a long way to go to fill those shoes.

Book certainly had a fantastic game ! But only time will tell if he is the “Real Thing “ ?
I’m hopeful, but keeping an open mind !

Reactions: 88ND
He seems to elevate the play of the guys around him. Love that intangible in a QB.

He’s a solid QB. Reads defenses well and makes smart decisions. I’m confident against the Cardinal.

Book was excellent in all facets against Wake Forest. He deserves a ton of credit for taking over the starting role and delivering on the road. The next step in his evolution is to perform at the same level against a quality opponent, which is an opportunity he will get next week in South Bend.

While I don't expect him to throw for 300-plus yards against Stanford's defense, I do expect him to continue to make smart decisions and put the offense in favorable positions for four quarters.

I know you’re using “found” colloquially, but there’s no luck here for the most part. ND recruited him and has developed him. A 3 Star guy who was recruited by Nevada and Boise State looks to become a very good QB in our system. Kelly has taken 2* and 3* QBs and made them viable starters and even 1st round draft picks.

I know you’re using “found” colloquially, but there’s no luck here for the most part. ND recruited him and has developed him. A 3 Star guy who was recruited by Nevada and Boise State looks to become a very good QB in our system. Kelly has taken 2* and 3* QBs and made them viable starters and even 1st round draft picks.

huh? who was the QB 1st Rd draft pick?

who was the last ND QB to be named an NFL starter AND start for an entire season?

it's all about efficiency.

Joe Montana? Come on now. He's a nice player and he sounds confident, let's just leave it at that.

True -- Book had a solid game against Wake Forest -- this was the kind of game that you start him in and let him build his confidence.

Stanford will be a different animal, as will VT -- but, let's get through Week 5 first.

Reactions: mbd11 and echowaker
True -- Book had a solid game against Wake Forest -- this was the kind of game that you start him in and let him build his confidence.

Stanford will be a different animal, as will VT -- but, let's get through Week 5 first.
You got it, one week at a time.

I'm definitely a little more confident than I was, but i'm still pumping the breaks. The Wrs/TEs/RBs that were wide open, plus the holes that were created, and even more importantly the sealing of the edge for outside runs. ND could have scored 70 and had 700 yards if they didn't pump the brakes in the fourth quarter, heck if they didn't make 3 dumb mistakes (alex bars brain fart, finke drop, and young fumble) the first 3 drives of the game who knows how ugly it could have been. I'm more confident, but I need to see this week before I think we've turned a major corner.

ND was far from perfect on offense. Book missed seeing claypool twice wide open for deep balls on 2 drives we didn't score on.

Reactions: Kelso86
huh? who was the QB 1st Rd draft pick?

who was the last ND QB to be named an NFL starter AND start for an entire season?

You moved the goalposts. Kiser was a three star prospect who became a 4 Star his final year in HS by most, but was a 200th+ ranked overall prospect, 15th best QB prospect, 10th highest rated prospect in his own state who went #1 overall.

I'm definitely a little more confident than I was, but i'm still pumping the breaks. The Wrs/TEs/RBs that were wide open, plus the holes that were created, and even more importantly the sealing of the edge for outside runs. ND could have scored 70 and had 700 yards if they didn't pump the brakes in the fourth quarter, heck if they didn't make 3 dumb mistakes (alex bars brain fart, finke drop, and young fumble) the first 3 drives of the game who knows how ugly it could have been. I'm more confident, but I need to see this week before I think we've turned a major corner.

ND was far from perfect on offense. Book missed seeing claypool twice wide open for deep balls on 2 drives we didn't score on.
no one should ever expect perfection. it never happens. my only "criticism" of book was i thought he left a lot of easy yards on the field early on when he could have run instead of continually looking for an open receiver.

You moved the goalposts. Kiser was a three star prospect who became a 4 Star his final year in HS by most, but was a 200th+ ranked overall prospect, 15th best QB prospect, 10th highest rated prospect in his own state who went #1 overall.

Kiser was considered a top 50 by a lot of the media (including 1 you know well) He was a solid 4 when he commited. His mark in the NFL is as yet ‘incomplete’. And I seriously doubt Kelly gets anycredit for anything Kiser. If not for an injury, we would not be having this discussion.

Ian Book got us the win vs (currently) #5 LSU. His stats for 2+ quarters:
Book as 14 of 19 for 164 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. He was more Wimbush-like in his first start vs. NCarolilna. 17-31 (with 6 catches by Alize!)

Ian Book got us the win vs (currently) #5 LSU. His stats for 2+ quarters:
Book as 14 of 19 for 164 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. He was more Wimbush-like in his first start vs. NCarolilna. 17-31 (with 6 catches by Alize!)
I don’t want to proclaim Book the next Montana but I see a certain confidence relaxed attitude that was missing in Wimbush who always seemed to be struggling at QB more inclined as a running back
I was never confident of getting the most out of the QB position - with Book I’m way more relaxed for Stanford

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT