ADVERTISEMENT

Uh-----

mmboys07

All Star
Oct 3, 2004
Just checked out ESPN team statistics. Holy cow. Didn't realize the huge offensive disparity between ND and Alabama, particularly at QB; RB and Wide Outs;
not to mention points scored per game. Defensive stats are more comparable. I don't know the specific strategy, but ND simply will have to limit
Alabama possessions to have any chance of making this a close game; win or lose.

Bama has the full package on offense. Elite RB a QB that makes very little mistakes and can make every pass. WRs are all NFL talent. Oline good.

ND will have to stop the run. Teams that played Bama close are teams that held the run game in check.
Stop the run and make the QB very uncomfortable. Clark has to send extra guys on passing downs.

As far as the ND offense, Bama will have one goal, shut the run down. They probably will first try to stop the run with a traditional front 7. If that fails, they will add an extra guy to the box late the way Clemson does.

Book will have to rush for 30-40 plus yards and Williams will have to have over 150.
Total yards rushing for ND will have to be 200 plus in order for ND to win.

Also, ND has to create 1-2 turnovers.

ND has to keep the Bama run total to around 150 +/- 10 yards.

41-38
Notre Dame

Just checked out ESPN team statistics. Holy cow. Didn't realize the huge offensive disparity between ND and Alabama, particularly at QB; RB and Wide Outs;
not to mention points scored per game. Defensive stats are more comparable. I don't know the specific strategy, but ND simply will have to limit
Alabama possessions to have any chance of making this a close game; win or lose.

Alabama scores on just about every non-garbage time possession. This has been happening all season, and nobody really saw it coming.

Alabama scores on just about every non-garbage time possession. This has been happening all season, and nobody really saw it coming.
One of the best WRs in college history paired with Elite QB play, great oline, great RB, and Sark has actually been awesome.

ND has the Oline (Pre injuries), RB, TEs, lacking game changing WR, elite QB play, and OC

Reactions: TOMMY_23
You havent been paying attention

People just assumed the QB play would take a step backward with Tua leaving. The QB play is different this year, but it most definitely didn't go backward. Hard to imagine there's ever been a team that had their top wideout, top RB and QB all in the final five in the Heisman. That's crazy stuff. Only Mizzou, somehow, held them under 40, and they've gone over 50 in 6 of their 11 games.

That’s why I said ND should snap the ball with one second on the play clock on every play and play small ball. #ballcontrol and keep our defense fresh.

That’s why I said ND should snap the ball with one second on the play clock on every play and play small ball. #ballcontrol and keep our defense fresh.
So they know the snap count on every single play, good plan

One of the best WRs in college history paired with Elite QB play, great oline, great RB, and Sark has actually been awesome.

ND has the Oline (Pre injuries), RB, TEs, lacking game changing WR, elite QB play, and OC
ND simply has a ceiling. I think this team is about the 6th or 7th best team in the nation but there is a big gap between that and the top three teams. I just wish Kelly was a good enough coach to find a way to hang in there longer than a couple of possessions.

I’m not sure what’s gonna happen. We all know the odds. Maybe the Irish players are tired of hearing how they have no chance. You never know. That’s why they play the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DieHard_Irish
We have no chance. We have less than no chance. We'd have to go to the No Chance Store and buy no chance just to have no chance

ND simply has a ceiling. I think this team is about the 6th or 7th best team in the nation but there is a big gap between that and the top three teams. I just wish Kelly was a good enough coach to find a way to hang in there longer than a couple of possessions.
I actually think we are probably the 3rd best team this year, but could lose to probably 10-15 teams without something crazy happening.

My problem is Kelly's game plan and getting the team ready to play teams slightly more talented. Bama Clemson OSU and ND don't have huge talent gaps other than QB, WR, & CB, and our QB is capable if he's mentally tough, our WRs are capable if given the chance, we just don't have a secondary to compete if our Dline isn't dominating. Our secondary has 2 huge holes that aren't getting fixed this year.

I just think our team plays tight, isn't aggressive, and our game plan especially on offense is bad when we play high powered offenses that have good defenses. You aren't winning a college national championship in good weather scoring in the 20's.

Bama , Clemson and OSU have QB's that will be taken in the 1st RD.

In view of the fact that that ours is a guy who maybe gets drafted I would call that significant.

" They don't have huge talent gaps other than QB, WR and CB "

That's it ?

Gee feel better now.

I actually think we are probably the 3rd best team this year, but could lose to probably 10-15 teams without something crazy happening.

My problem is Kelly's game plan and getting the team ready to play teams slightly more talented. Bama Clemson OSU and ND don't have huge talent gaps other than QB, WR, & CB, and our QB is capable if he's mentally tough, our WRs are capable if given the chance, we just don't have a secondary to compete if our Dline isn't dominating. Our secondary has 2 huge holes that aren't getting fixed this year.

I just think our team plays tight, isn't aggressive, and our game plan especially on offense is bad when we play high powered offenses that have good defenses. You aren't winning a college national championship in good weather scoring in the 20's.
I wonder what flight out of town Lea has?

Actually Bama is missing their best WR in Waddle that went out early Season injury. If both Waddle and Smith were on the field I don’t know of any secondary in modern times that would limit them under 50 points a game.

Anyone that thinks this is even a close to fair fight to and watch the Bama Texas AM game from this year. I would consider ND very comparable on both sides of the line with AM. And Bama just destroyed them. And that was before they were in ‘post season’ form.

We are fourth best team. Legit

Reactions: notredamerises23
Bama , Clemson and OSU have QB's that will be taken in the 1st RD.

In view of the fact that that ours is a guy who maybe gets drafted I would call that significant.

" They don't have huge talent gaps other than QB, WR and CB "

That's it ?

Gee feel better now.
Well I would take Nd dline and tes over bama osu or Clemson
Actually Bama is missing their best WR in Waddle that went out early Season injury. If both Waddle and Smith were on the field I don’t know of any secondary in modern times that would limit them under 50 points a game.

Anyone that thinks this is even a close to fair fight to and watch the Bama Texas AM game from this year. I would consider ND very comparable on both sides of the line with AM. And Bama just destroyed them. And that was before they were in ‘post season’ form.
same with Georgia... they had waddle and smith vs Georgia and scored 41.... no waddle and better offense I think I’d D plays like they can and offense doesn’t crap bed they can hold bama low 30s

When it is put that way, it really says it all.

That’s why the running game and TOP are so important !

Florida was able to go toe to toe with Bama during the 1st half because of their speed and athleticism on both sides of the ball. Those Gator WR’s are very talented and fast. ND is going to have to pressure Bama’s secondary. We’ll see if Rees dials up some balls deep for saban grill

If you want to play with Alabama, you better be elite at QB, WR & DB. You have to score 40+ to have any chance. Their defense is good, but not vintage Saban.

Waddle might be their best player, if he suits up I don't even know how you'd scheme to stop them. Their skill guys are better than Clemson's. But I think Dickerson being out could really hurt them when they meet Clemson.

Bama has the full package on offense. Elite RB a QB that makes very little mistakes and can make every pass. WRs are all NFL talent. Oline good.

ND will have to stop the run. Teams that played Bama close are teams that held the run game in check.
Stop the run and make the QB very uncomfortable. Clark has to send extra guys on passing downs.

As far as the ND offense, Bama will have one goal, shut the run down. They probably will first try to stop the run with a traditional front 7. If that fails, they will add an extra guy to the box late the way Clemson does.

Book will have to rush for 30-40 plus yards and Williams will have to have over 150.
Total yards rushing for ND will have to be 200 plus in order for ND to win.

Also, ND has to create 1-2 turnovers.

ND has to keep the Bama run total to around 150 +/- 10 yards.

41-38
Notre Dame

Seems about right to me. Good post. Bama turnover, penalties (they never seem to get called for Holding, right?) or a combination of Jones being inaccurate or a few inexplicable dropped passes. An early big play by the Irish would also go a long way in keeping the game close. Sadly, “close” at Half Time is what many of us are hoping for.

Oh, wah wah wah

we have no chance mighty Alabama please have mercy on us

bunch of defeatist piles of crap here

Brother, it’s not defeatist to be realistic. Frankly, it’s somewhat liberating as I’m usually nervous before a game. I have zero nerves for this one.

People just assumed the QB play would take a step backward with Tua leaving. The QB play is different this year, but it most definitely didn't go backward. Hard to imagine there's ever been a team that had their top wideout, top RB and QB all in the final five in the Heisman. That's crazy stuff. Only Mizzou, somehow, held them under 40, and they've gone over 50 in 6 of their 11 games.

First game of the year and they brought in backups including true freshman Young after it was 35-3.

Mississippi St., actually kind of held them in the second half (couple of three and outs on back to back drives). That’s like the most they’ve been stopped lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT