ADVERTISEMENT

The one thing ND must improve on for a successful season?

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
IMO is a more dominant pass rush with front 4. If the front can penetrate and get pressure this will be the key to getting off the field on 3rd down. Time and time again last year ND allowed drives to continue because the quarterback had ALL day to find someone. For anyone who thinks it's not a game changer please see Von Miller against the Patriots in the AFC champ game. Yes ND doesn't have a Von Miller but they have Trumbetti (who slimmed down), Daelin Hayes and big Isaac crashing the pocket.

Reactions: Bodizephax
With Golson we failed because of turnovers. Last year we suffered so many injuries. If we reduce turnovers and injuries we may just have a bodilicious year.

Golson?
turnovers and RZ issues were a problem before he took a snap!

he just continued the tradition!

btw: you guys really over-rate Trumbetti's pass rush ability.

Last edited:
IMO is a more dominant pass rush with front 4. If the front can penetrate and get pressure this will be the key to getting off the field on 3rd down. Time and time again last year ND allowed drives to continue because the quarterback had ALL day to find someone. For anyone who thinks it's not a game changer please see Von Miller against the Patriots in the AFC champ game. Yes ND doesn't have a Von Miller but they have Trumbetti (who slimmed down), Daelin Hayes and big Isaac crashing the pocket.
Stanford...you may rest your case.... At least we were spying Hogan from afar. Dear Lord that sucked.

Gotta win the turnover battle more consistently. LBs need to step up, it's been a long time since the group didn't have an all time stud covering up weaknesses of the others.

And don't forget about the two Monsters in the middle !!
JARON JONES and JERRY TILLERY !! Two of the biggest Dlineman in college football !!

Reactions: IrishMike409
The reality is our issue is the same as it is for many teams in the NFL and in college. We need to get pressure on the QB without sending five or six guys to do it.

Red zone offense

Reactions: IrishHerb
offense: red zone touchdowns

defense: get off the field on 3rd down

Not sure I would go with the defense one. After all usually weis got the defense off the field before punts also. But that was generally because the opponent scored before they had to punt :)

On Defense it is Pass Rush. The two stats Buddy Ryan cared most about on defense were 1. Sacks 2. 3rd Down Defense.

On Offense it is to strive to have every drive end in a kick Punt, FG or PAT. Protect the football.

If you don't turn the ball over and knock the other teams QB on his butt. You will probably have a pretty good football team.

Reactions: HRC08
ND just needs to focus on fundaments. Eliminate the mistakes in scheme execution, cut down on stupid penalties and of course, get better at basic arithmatic

Red Zone Offense. ND's inability to score TDs vs FGs has cost them games every season. And will continue to do so until rectified.

Pass rush. Obviously. But that's not going to happen with four DT's starting.

Let's hope the OLine, WR's, RB's and QB's continue to thrive.

Reactions: perseverare
Pass rush. Obviously. But that's not going to happen with four DT's starting.

Let's hope the OLine, WR's, RB's and QB's continue to thrive.

not many pick up on the point you made about the DT's.
Probably not a huge factor vs UT, but vs Stanford and USC OL's it will be a factor.

Last edited:
ND just needs to focus on fundaments. Eliminate the mistakes in scheme execution, cut down on stupid penalties and of course, get better at basic arithmatic[/QUOTE]

Get better at spelling you mongrel

post less spell better - arithmetic - besides knowing nothing about football you make a wise ass comment and fu c it up by misspelling the key work in your post .

You see if you had a smidgen of

• intellectual curiosity
  • emotional intelligence
if you embodied those two assets they would preclude you from posting on a pretty worthless forum 28,000 x's

Reactions: Bodizephax
not many pick up on the point you made about the DT's.
Probably not a huge factor vs UT, but vs Stanford and USC OL's it will be a factor.

Imagine a passing team? It could get ugly. I hope I'm wrong. I very well might be. Trumb and Tillery have likely added speed, power and counter moves to their technique. Jones was very good or atleast above average when healthy. Rochell's a stalwart. Lastly, ND is quite deep in the line. Quantity even if there's not a lot of high draft like quality.

I say rotate the heck out of them, keep the starters fresh and hope they can cut down the tree at the end of each half.

Can't believe we have posts still second guessing PAT decisions from past seasons. A failed two point conversion in a losing cause will always be fodder for criticism for the Anti Kelly crowd. Amazing how fumbles and interceptions and dropped balls in the same game are glossed over by the same posters, and how any mention of same is called out as scapegoating young kids, etc... As for arithmetic, the issue is turning three points into seven, not zero into one.

Most of the posts here are right on. Offense needs to perform much better In the red zone, the defense needs to put pressure on opposing QBs, and we need a significant improvement in plus takeaways.

• m
    Can't believe we have posts still second guessing PAT decisions from past seasons. A failed two point conversion in a losing cause will always be fodder for criticism for the Anti Kelly crowd. Amazing how fumbles and interceptions and dropped balls in the same game are glossed over by the same posters, and how any mention of same is called out as scapegoating young kids, etc... As for arithmetic, the issue is turning three points into seven, not zero into one.

Most of the posts here are right on. Offense needs to perform much better In the red zone, the defense needs to put pressure on opposing QBs, and we need a significant improvement in plus takeaways.
Recruiting a team and game planning to play the #2 in the country in the most hostile environment in college football and having that team in a position to win the game is bullshit -- anyone can do that .

Purse needed to make the call to kick a PAT -- Kelly is clueless

cgvr and howard hall like this

this is pretty much it:

from AthlonSports: Fisher
"...Final Analysis Six months ago, Notre Dame fans — and perhaps the players and coaching staff too — had to be fairly confident in the Irish’s ability to head to Austin and come out with a nice win. Pollsters would have likely agreed given where the team is ranked in the preseason but there’s certainly been a sense as kickoff has approached that this game might be tighter than first thought. Recent suspensions have left Brian Kelly’s squad thin on defense and it appears not everybody is thrilled with his decision to go with a two-quarterback system on offense. At the end of the day however, the Irish are the far superior team and capable of winning this one in a runaway. Texas should be improved from last season and is capable of threatening for a half or so. Still, Notre Dame is just too talented and too accustomed to playing in big moments to drop this kind of game. It’s certainly a matchup that seems like it could be a fairly interesting season opener but expect the Irish to eventually pull away toward the end and show flashes of a double-digit win team. Prediction: Notre Dame 31, Texas 17 -...."

ND experienced and too much talent. Where is the UT advantage?
An upset would totally upset Irish hopes for 2016 and talk would likely shift to 2017! (Year 8)

• m
Recruiting a team and game planning to play the #2 in the country in the most hostile environment in college football and having that team in a position to win the game is bullshit -- anyone can do that .

Purse needed to make the call to kick a PAT -- Kelly is clueless

cgvr and howard hall like this
Continually, that game will stick with me for a long time. Out of town with two other couples that week. Stayed in our unit to watch the game while others went out to dinner. The build up to the game was incredible with the hurricane forecast to arrive at game time. Both universities were being criticized for profit taking precedence over safety. The game was played in unbelievable conditions; the fans at the game were properly rabid and fanatically having a blast. Thought the game was over after the first two possessions. Security knocked on my door to ask me if everything was alright with all the hollering I was doing at the TV, and left laughing when I told them everything was not alright as ND was getting their asses kicked. We witnessed Kizer morphing from a deer in the lights rookie to composed dagger in the heart assassin. We saw the entire team fight like hell and slowly turn momentum their way, and damn near pulled off a great upset and even greater comeback. It hurt like hell to lose but made me especially proud of ND and this team's grit and the calm leadership of this coaching staff, and others want to talk about a failed two point conversion. I like my memories better!

Continually, that game will stick with me for a long time. Out of town with two other couples that week. Stayed in our unit to watch the game while others went out to dinner. The build up to the game was incredible with the hurricane forecast to arrive at game time. Both universities were being criticized for profit taking precedence over safety. The game was played in unbelievable conditions; the fans at the game were properly rabid and fanatically having a blast. Thought the game was over after the first two possessions. Security knocked on my door to ask me if everything was alright with all the hollering I was doing at the TV, and left laughing when I told them everything was not alright as ND was getting their asses kicked. We witnessed Kizer morphing from a deer in the lights rookie to composed dagger in the heart assassin. We saw the entire team fight like hell and slowly turn momentum their way, and damn near pulled off a great upset and even greater comeback. It hurt like hell to lose but made me especially proud of ND and this team's grit and the calm leadership of this coaching staff, and others want to talk about a failed two point conversion. I like my memories better!

the best you have is a "loss" wth!
I doubt App St is celebrating 'coming close!' ; they are upset about not finishing the job! celebrate a loss.. geez! losers

duh? you come to the board and try to convince posters that they should not trust their own eyes/opinion? spout off about great player development, great recruiting, and what a great H.C. they have BUT then you wet the bed? You have your banner 'a lose'! You can't be serious!

And all week the mean girls are afraid to stand behind the team, they cower at the Upstart UT program that is in disarray and rebuilding? Yikes!

Am I the only one believing in the players!? Do you hav no confidence in your seven years of program development? oye!

Last edited:
Jarron jones can be dominant when healthy. Seems to step up in big games (FSU 2014). The guy is a LOAD. Can collapse the pocket by manhandling the center. He should be able to help pass rush

Jarron jones can be dominant when healthy. Seems to step up in big games (FSU 2014). The guy is a LOAD. Can collapse the pocket by manhandling the center. He should be able to help pass rush

I agree. JJ has always played well. He really deserves an injury free season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT