ADVERTISEMENT

The key to beating Stanford this week

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
1. Continue being unpredictable on Offense and keep Alize engaged.
2. Don't let Love get off and Dru/Tevon will have to be exceptional in pass coverage
3. All DBs will have to really rely on their technique and be good physical.

Last edited:
Don't think the game is over when you get a sizable 2nd half lead. This team never dies easily.
Oh, and just keep Bookin'!

Not that paramount....Just play no mistake football. Paramount has nothing to do with it.. be serious....PLEASE !!!!!
Go back to your janitorial responsibilities.

You of course would not understand the context of the term "paramount" with your 5th grade education.

Last edited:
Stanford wants us to cheat up to stop Love so they can throw jump balls to their TE’s and WR’s. If our front 7 struggles to stop the run, we will lose. If our front 7 holds the point of attack, we win. This is the game where we will miss Amosa the most.

Stanford wants us to cheat up to stop Love so they can throw jump balls to their TE’s and WR’s. If our front 7 struggles to stop the run, we will lose. If our front 7 holds the point of attack, we win. This is the game where we will miss Amosa the most.
Re-watch the game from last year. Love was kept in check pretty much last year. What broke the ND D's back were the jump balls to the tall Tree WR/TE.

Re-watch the game from last year. Love was kept in check pretty much last year. What broke the ND D's back were the jump balls to the tall Tree WR/TE.
This. The key will be two part, dbs playing the ball in the air and getting a pass rush.

I expect ND to do well against the run. I know it was the first game, but SDSU held Stanford to 50 yards rushing for the entire game. If they can do that, then is it unreasonable to expect ND defense to hold them to say 100 yards or less rushing?

The critical moments to me is that they are going to have put two men on Whiteside and possibly the TE(forget his name) at times. They are two giants that can snatch any pass out of the air.

As for the offense, i think they will be fine and don't need to come up with a unique game plan or trick plays. Michigan was a better defense and ND basically scored 31 points against them. Just play assignment football and they'll be fine. Plus... Dexter Williams returns!

It isn't hard to figure out how to beat Stanford, it is just hard (in most years) to beat them. Shaw is all about mismatches: an overloaded line against a balanced one, post up routes of their tall receivers against shorter d-backs. This year their defense sucks (yeah I know we only scored 3). ND in a walk.

Not that paramount....Just play no mistake football. Paramount has nothing to do with it.. be serious....PLEASE !!!!!
We are all supposed to wear green Saturday night. Do you still have that green tuxedo from your HS prom days? It's important, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering you.

Reactions: hvillebill
It isn't hard to figure out how to beat Stanford, it is just hard (in most years) to beat them. Shaw is all about mismatches: an overloaded line against a balanced one, post up routes of their tall receivers against shorter d-backs. This year their defense sucks (yeah I know we only scored 3). ND in a walk.

Hmm. We were #1 in the country in scoring defense going into the Oregon game. We had a very bad first half, but then held the Ducks to 7 points in the second half, and 31 for the game, which is 20 below their prior scoring average. It is true that Stanford's line has trouble getting pressure on the QB, but that is countered by the quality of our back 8, who might be as good as we've ever had at Stanford. Certainly the secondary, normally our achilles heel, is first rate, one of the best in the country.

Anyway, looking forward to a great game. Stanford-ND is always fun.

Hmm. We were #1 in the country in scoring defense going into the Oregon game. We had a very bad first half, but then held the Ducks to 7 points in the second half, and 31 for the game, which is 20 below their prior scoring average. It is true that Stanford's line has trouble getting pressure on the QB, but that is countered by the quality of our back 8, who might be as good as we've ever had at Stanford. Certainly the secondary, normally our achilles heel, is first rate, one of the best in the country.

No doubt had a good rating after us and SDSU/ Let's talk again at year end.

Don’t know what any of you say Stanford is not very good on defense are talking about. Watch some of their film, they have some very physical corners and their D line plays hard every play and doesn’t take a down off.

Our defense has to give our offense a chance to win this game. Plain and simple...

Like some posters have said there’s no magic formula to winning this game. We have to win at the LOS. I love our receivers and our DBs but they have a 6’5 QB who just doesn’t get sacked, and big athletic receivers who are open no matter what the coverage is. Didn’t Stanford line up in shotgun mostly every play against last year? They will do the same this year when push comes to shove. They’re a power running team but can spread the field. We have to play lights out to win this, but I believe we have the guys to get it done. But there’s no way we blow them out unless they play a horrible game which they never have against us under Shaw. I’m shocked we are favorited because in order to win this we need the Irish spirit.

Don’t know what any of you say Stanford is not very good on defense are talking about. Watch some of their film, they have some very physical corners and their D line plays hard every play and doesn’t take a down off.

Our defense has to give our offense a chance to win this game. Plain and simple...

Like some posters have said there’s no magic formula to winning this game. We have to win at the LOS. I love our receivers and our DBs but they have a 6’5 QB who just doesn’t get sacked, and big athletic receivers who are open no matter what the coverage is. Didn’t Stanford line up in shotgun mostly every play against last year? They will do the same this year when push comes to shove. They’re a power running team but can spread the field. We have to play lights out to win this, but I believe we have the guys to get it done. But there’s no way we blow them out unless they play a horrible game which they never have against us under Shaw. I’m shocked we are favorited because in order to win this we need the Irish spirit.

I have seen all their games. Their defense as not nearly as good as in years past. I think we may agree after Saturday.

I have seen all their games. Their defense as not nearly as good as in years past. I think we may agree after Saturday.

I hope so man. I watched the first half of their game against you guys (you’re an SC fan right?) and the first half they played against Oregon. They really got at your QB and while your receivers are good they didn’t give anything up after the catch. Oregon has a really good QB who can buy time and throw accurately outside the pocket. We are much diffferent offensively then Oregon and this game will be won at the point of attack. There’s no way around it

I hope so man. I watched the first half of their game against you guys (you’re an SC fan right?) and the first half they played against Oregon. They really got at your QB and while your receivers are good they didn’t give anything up after the catch. Oregon has a really good QB who can buy time and throw accurately outside the pocket. We are much diffferent offensively then Oregon and this game will be won at the point of attack. There’s no way around it

If you watch our game again (yes. SC fan) you will our line miss blocks throughout both halves, Not blocks shed, not blocks over powered, I am talking about whiffs. I could be wrong, I often am, but I don't make up faults in opponents. IMO this is a down year for Stanford's defense.

Reactions: tbonesays
It shouldn’t be complicated

ND is better up front on both sides of the ball.
ND needs to use that advantage to control the game. Don’t get cute.

Stanford has the ability to throw jump balls at any time & complete them. Not much you can do about that. So ND needs to keep them in 3rd & long where they can get pressure.

If it wasn’t for Stanford’s ability to chuck it up to three huge targets I would pick ND by 10+

If Book just completes the easy passes, continues to do a good job on the read-option & RPO’s, I think ND can score over 30 on Stanford. And I don’t think ND gives up 30 all year unless in garbage time points.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
It shouldn’t be complicated

ND is better up front on both sides of the ball.
ND needs to use that advantage to control the game. Don’t get cute.

Stanford has the ability to throw jump balls at any time & complete them. Not much you can do about that. So ND needs to keep them in 3rd & long where they can get pressure.

If it wasn’t for Stanford’s ability to chuck it up to three huge targets I would pick ND by 10+

If Book just completes the easy passes, continues to do a good job on the read-option & RPO’s, I think ND can score over 30 on Stanford. And I don’t think ND gives up 30 all year unless in garbage time points.

Yep and your DC needs to be aware of their overloads of the line; multiple tight ends on one side. Love been banged up but he is getting better now. He is a home run hitter for sure.

Yep and your DC needs to be aware of their overloads of the line; multiple tight ends on one side. Love been banged up but he is getting better now. He is a home run hitter for sure.

This has been a problem this year.

ND has had multiple games where they were outnumbered before the ball was even snapped.
And the ends have lost outside leverage.

ND has had multiple games where they were outnumbered before the ball was even snapped.
Hmm I have watched your games but didn't notice that.That could be a problem, but I still think you win.

You guys got so lucky and had so many questionable calls go your way with the officials. Had no business really winning up there. Oregon totally outplayed Stanford.

It has happened a few times. typically tempo caused it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT