ADVERTISEMENT

The Impenetrable Force Tom Lemming

huff60

Irish Expert
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
I don’t know how many of you listened to Eric’s interview with Tom Lemming. The part that I found most disturbing, and unfortunately probably non correctable, was Lemmings observation that ND simply can’t compete with schools who are heavily invested in NIL. And he pointed to LSU grabbing that wide receiver away from ND recently as a prime example.
Any thoughts? As Lemming , a fan of Notre Dame pointed out , that academic angle doesn’t mean much with the money being offered. And who can blame them?

I don’t know how many of you listened to Eric’s interview with Tom Lemming. The part that I found most disturbing, and unfortunately probably non correctable, was Lemmings observation that ND simply can’t compete with schools who are heavily invested in NIL. And he pointed to LSU grabbing that wide receiver away from ND recently as a prime example.
Any thoughts? As Lemming , a fan of Notre Dame pointed out , that academic angle doesn’t mean much with the money being offered. And who can blame them?
Every kid is different. Highly ranked 2025 QB Deuce Knight to this point shows no signs of flipping to Lane Kiffin. And highly ranked 2024 QB CJ Carr stuck with Notre Dame.

Multiple other outlets refute that point. NIL isn't really an issue anymore. We are very competitive in that space

Reactions: Kelso86
Multiple other outlets refute that point. NIL isn't really an issue anymore. We are very competitive in that space
You could be right, you could be wrong. No one knows what LSU and USC offered, or maybe even paid up front, for Derek Meadows and Tanook Hines.

Please link to outlets refuting NDs lack of NIL investment in their prospect recruiting. I've heard lip service from ND on this topic but haven't actually seen any evidence/reports of this in action.

HS prospects are by far the most valuable commodity in college football (best investment money could buy with the most potential impact) but every organization knows that so its a VERY competitive market for talent.

ND seems to have bowed out of HS prospect NIL entirely (they dont touch kids who expect NIL signing bonus money) so instead they recruit a bunch of 3 & 4 star talent and spend their NIL money on a bunch of tweeners/1 year rentals stuck between FBS and NFL levels (players with limited upside -- presumably because its cheaper) and then get ran over by teams investing the big bucks in high 4 star and 5 star prospects on the recruiting trail of course.

Is there a single example of ND outbidding other blue bloods for a prospect? It seems like all of NDs best prospects simply get wrestled away by other organizations who are strategically outspending/investing more in this space.

Last edited:
Please link to outlets refuting NDs lack of NIL investment in their prospect recruiting. I've heard lip service from ND on this topic but haven't actually seen any evidence/reports of this in action.

HS prospects are by far the most valuable commodity in college football (best investment money could buy with the most potential impact) but every organization knows that so its a VERY competitive market for talent.

ND seems to have bowed out of HS prospect NIL entirely (they dont touch kids who expect NIL signing bonus money) so instead they recruit a bunch of 3 & 4 star talent and spend their NIL money on a bunch of tweeners/1 year rentals stuck between FBS and NFL levels (players with limited upside -- presumably because its cheaper) and then get ran over by teams investing the big bucks in high 4 star and 5 star prospects on the recruiting trail of course.

Is there a single example of ND outbidding other blue bloods for a prospect? It seems like all of NDs best prospects simply get wrestled away by other organizations who are strategically outspending/investing more in this space.
Irish breakdown and irish sports daily.

I think the problem is not so much that ND isn't competing w/ other schools regarding NIL. It's my understanding ND is in the top 10 for NIL. This is more than good enough for the recruits that are outside the top 100-150 players of the class. The problem is when it comes to some of the top ranked guys. They're being told by coaches or "supporters" of the school, that they will be paid a massive amount of money if they sign w/ this school. This is something that ND doesn't do and as a consequence, miss out on the recruits. This puts a lot of pressure on the top recruits, especially if they have parents nudging them to go to this school for the NIL payments.

Mom and pop organizations that are about as credible as a message board poster on this topic.
Your showing how much of a moron you are. They are the ones who cover the team year round and actually speak to people inside the Gug throughout the year. Not a national outlet that talks to the staff maybe twice a year

Use your head

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Your showing how much of a moron you are. They are the ones who cover the team year round and actually speak to people inside the Gug throughout the year. Not a national outlet that talks to the staff maybe twice a year

Use your head
They hire people who aren't credible journalists (basically fans with press passes) who can say/report whatever the hell they want with almost no consequence which means they aren't very credible.

Any official reporting done on the ND NIL situation is that ND is lacking. And lacking big time (at least as it relates to HS prospect signing).

They hire people who aren't credible journalists (basically fans with press passes) who can say/report whatever the hell they want with almost no consequence which means they aren't very credible.

Any official reporting done on the ND NIL situation is that ND is lacking. And lacking big time. DESPITE ND wanting the narrative out there that they are competing in this space.
You're wrong again. They said years ago that ND wasn't close in the NIL game and now all are reporting they are.

ND is absolutely competing in NIL or we wouldn't have a lot of guys they already do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT