ADVERTISEMENT

The Big 12.... lack of defense a contagious virus

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Some Thursday humor. Not fiction.
At least not all fiction:cool:

Everyone makes fun of the Big 12 and the lack of defense they play. It's no mystery. When you have trendy fans notice they don't play defense it's pretty safe to say it's common knowledge.

Matt Rhule...and I sure wish we could get him... is trying to change that. The problem is he's no pioneer. Others over the last 5 -7 years have tried tirelessly to start playing better defense and it just never materializes.
It will be interesting to see how long Baylor can keep up the tight defense or continues to try to play solid defense.

I've been fascinated as to why this is a conference wide problem.

Honestly I blame......

Mike Leach

His run at Texas Tech he changed the way they do things there. They literally tried to score 100 points every game. All through the air mind you...but a century of points was the goal.

Kingsbury continued what Leach started and was actually a QB under Leach starting this crazy trend.
A trend that stresses scoring a million points with nary a defensive care. We'll just score more than they do is the philosophy.
That philosophy spread like a brushfire throughout the Big 12 and continues to this day.
All these coaches can't be football dumb...right? Right! However they are all seemingly susceptible in trying to keep up with the score 50 points in a half offense. It's like they can't help themselves. I believe it's a fear that if they focus on defense their record will suffer for a few years by being out scored.
We all know the trendy shelf life of college coaches today so how can you blame them.

Considering where Baylor's expectations were after the whore house scandal perhaps Rhule will be impervious to the offensive trend in the Big12 and keep building his program defense first.

Back to Mike Leach. He may be funny and a guy you'd whack a beer with but he kills complete team football.

It might sound silly blaming Leach for the lack of Big 12 defense today but notice the trend going on in the Pac12.
The Pac12 wasn't a defensive stalwart conference but they're rapidly heading in the direction of the Big12 where defense seems optional.

Notice who's been firmly planted in the Pac12 for several years now? Mike Leach.

It certainly seems to be more than coincidence.

ND should alternate scheduling either Texas and Oklahoma each year. They don’t play defense so it would be a sure W! Might have the cut New Mexico or Bowling Green, big rivalry games.

Everyone makes fun of the Big 12 and the lack of defense they play. It's no mystery. When you have trendy fans notice they don't play defense it's pretty safe to say it's common knowledge.

Matt Rhule...and I sure wish we could get him... is trying to change that. The problem is he's no pioneer. Others over the last 5 -7 years have tried tirelessly to start playing better defense and it just never materializes.
It will be interesting to see how long Baylor can keep up the tight defense or continues to try to play solid defense.

Honestly I blame......

Mike Leach

His run at Texas Tech he changed the way they do things there. They literally tried to score 100 points every game. All through the air mind you...but a century of points was the goal.

Kingsbury continued what Leach started and was actually a QB under Leach starting this crazy trend.
A trend that stresses scoring a million points with nary a defensive care. We'll just score more than they do is the philosophy.
That philosophy spread like a brushfire throughout the Big 12 and continues to this day.
All these coaches can't be football dumb...right? Right! However they are all seemingly susceptible in trying to keep up with the score 50 points in a half offense. It's like they can't help themselves. I believe it's a fear that if they focus on defense their record will suffer for a few years by being out scored.
We all know the trendy shelf life of college coaches today so how can you blame them.

Considering where Baylor's expectations were after the whore house scandal perhaps Rhule will be impervious to the offensive trend in the Big12 and keep building his program defense first.

Back to Mike Leach. He may be funny and a guy you'd whack a beer with but he kills complete team football.

It might sound silly blaming Leach for the lack of Big 12 defense today but notice the trend going on in the Pac12.
The Pac12 wasn't a defensive stalwart conference but they're rapidly heading in the direction of the Big12 where defense seems optional.

Notice who's been firmly planted in the Pac12 for several years now? Mike Leach.

"Honestly I blame......

Mike Leach"

Why stop there -- why not Urban Meyer as well -- the inventor of the spread offense -- his philosophy was to put his athletes in space and make you tackle --

Both have changed the way the game is played -- why run a toss sweep and and have your guard/tackle pull and lead the way when you can pass it in the flat and get 1-1 match-ups --

Look at the SEC -- Bama and LSU -- a "defensive" battle with a score of 46-41 -- you tell me those were not "complete team" football concepts on display?

Leach is no different that Woody Hayes, Switzer and the others -- where they liked to run the ball 40-50 times a game, Leach throws it the same -- at the end of the day, a win is a win -- the object is to score more than the other -- does not matter how you do it.

As a former receiver in HS and college, I played in the ground game era where we only threw it 12-15 times a game (God forbid if we had inclement weather) -- I would loved to have played in this era

Reactions: Catholicfan95
"Honestly I blame......

Mike Leach"

Why stop there -- why not Urban Meyer as well -- the inventor of the spread offense -- his philosophy was to put his athletes in space and make you tackle --

Both have changed the way the game is played -- why run a toss sweep and and have your guard/tackle pull and lead the way when you can pass it in the flat and get 1-1 match-ups --

Look at the SEC -- Bama and LSU -- a "defensive" battle with a score of 46-41 -- you tell me those were not "complete team" football concepts on display?

Leach is no different that Woody Hayes, Switzer and the others -- where they liked to run the ball 40-50 times a game, Leach throws it the same -- at the end of the day, a win is a win -- the object is to score more than the other -- does not matter how you do it.

As a former receiver in HS and college, I played in the ground game era where we only threw it 12-15 times a game (God forbid if we had inclement weather) -- I would loved to have played in this era

Urban used balance or tried to balance his offense. OSU passed the ball last year more than they ever have had and it drove Urban crazy their running game was non existent.
Urban also knew defense was extremely important. He had some absolute defensive monsters over the years. You don't recruit them so hard if defense is just an after thought.

You're talking one game. I'm talking about years and years of playing a certain way conference wide. The Big 12 has become the worst defensive conference in football. Not just P5 but all football. They literally play like defense is just a pain in the ass so to heck with it.

Leach is light years from Hayes and Switzer. They tried playing defense or knew the importance of it.

Fun for sure. Skill position players love it. QB love it.

Offense sells. Hockey,basketball baseball...offense sells.

Leach cares zero about defense. He makes imo mystery of it either. They come off the bus throwing and get back on the bus doing the same.

It's no coincidence to me that the Pac12 is becoming worse defensively by the year.

I'm not talking about just stats. Everyone by default scores more than yesteryear. Just watching the defense overall, tackling etc. It's become much worse yearly in the Pac12

Honestly I blame......

Mike Leach

Do not buy all of this, talk about trendy fans this posts exudes that. I do not think people know the difference between an Air Raid offense and a Spread offense. The original Air Raid was basically taking the West Coast passing game, simplifying it to a purely conceptual level, and then making every formational and personnel decision around maximizing those passing concepts. So Leach would use wide OL splits to help buy time for his QBs to make full field reads, and he'd flood the field with receivers.The modern versions of the Air Raid has tended to mute the wide splits and overly pass-heavy emphasis of the original Air Raid. Run/pass options (RPOs) and dual-threat QBs have been a major boon to the system and allowed teams to get enough out of their running game to be balanced and stop defenses from embracing the same kind of extreme, pass-focus to stop them.

There are so many variations of the spread now, from pro style to spread option. The spread option really got going with Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia but is also a good way to characterize the offenses at Oregon, and what Urban Meyer was running at Florida and OSU.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22 Take a look at this and go to total team defense, you will see that there are several teams in the top 50 that are also running spread option or systematic scheming similar to original air raid, and limiting teams. To blame one coach for a lack of defense for the past 19 years is baffling to me

Also, to the point of Kelso lets take a look at the Bama vs LSU game, SEC is the benchmark for defense? What about UGA vs OU 2 years ago? the list goes on and on it is not specific to a conference like you are trying to make it seem.

It’s football in general, rule changes favor the offense. Hurry up, no huddle offenses increase the number of offensive plays per game. UCLA Wash State was 67-63. Virginia Syracuse basketball 48-34. Both are an Insult to there sport.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Also, to the point of Kelso lets take a look at the Bama vs LSU game, SEC is the benchmark for defense? What about UGA vs OU 2 years ago? the list goes on and on it is not specific to a conference like you are trying to make it seem.
You can cherry pick games all you want but nobody collectively tackles as bad and plays as porous of defense as the Big 12.

If you can't see that I don't know what football you were brought up around but it certainly is different than what I see.

Conference wide, over YEAR(S) the Big 12 has just played defense care free.

Period.

Do not buy all of this, talk about trendy fans this posts exudes that. I do not think people know the difference between an Air Raid offense and a Spread offense. The original Air Raid was basically taking the West Coast passing game, simplifying it to a purely conceptual level, and then making every formational and personnel decision around maximizing those passing concepts. So Leach would use wide OL splits to help buy time for his QBs to make full field reads, and he'd flood the field with receivers.The modern versions of the Air Raid has tended to mute the wide splits and overly pass-heavy emphasis of the original Air Raid. Run/pass options (RPOs) and dual-threat QBs have been a major boon to the system and allowed teams to get enough out of their running game to be balanced and stop defenses from embracing the same kind of extreme, pass-focus to stop them.

There are so many variations of the spread now, from pro style to spread option. The spread option really got going with Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia but is also a good way to characterize the offenses at Oregon, and what Urban Meyer was running at Florida and OSU.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22 Take a look at this and go to total team defense, you will see that there are several teams in the top 50 that are also running spread option or systematic scheming similar to original air raid, and limiting teams. To blame one coach for a lack of defense for the past 19 years is baffling to me
I said nothing of the spread.

Defense..the huge lack of it in the Big12. Collectively.

The Pac12 is trending that way as we speak. Collectively.

Bama is behind Baylor in defense this year. Which means nothing until I find rankings that adjust for the opponents.

Then don't bash the BIG12
If you're going to participate...then follow along please.

No matter how good the defense in any conference teams just score now.
Days of the 14-10 slugfest are ancient history. 21-17 scores have given way to 41-38.

Having said the above the Big 12 plays absolutely horrid defense. Tackling must be optional at practices because they're absolutely atrocious at tackling.

Acriss all the NCAA offenses just score points. It's just how it is. In the Big12 however it's like they're collectively trying to play two hand touch.

If you can't see the difference between the way the Big12 plays D and the rest of the country...I've got no help to offer you.

If you're going to participate...then follow along please.

No matter how good the defense in any conference teams just score now.
Days of the 14-10 slugfest are ancient history. 21-17 scores have given way to 41-38.

Having said the above the Big 12 plays absolutely horrid defense. Tackling must be optional at practices because they're absolutely atrocious at tackling.

Acriss all the NCAA offenses just score points. It's just how it is. In the Big12 however it's like they're collectively trying to play two hand touch.

If you can't see the difference between the way the Big12 plays D and the rest of the country...I've got no help to offer you.

Always a pleasure to watch you talk in circles about topics you know nothing about! Good to see you leading the charge for equal opportunity stupidity. Hey, never answered me that question about Randy Moss like months back, it was good to steamroll you then too. Cheers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT