ADVERTISEMENT

That Fourth and Two Spot!

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
Anyone else holler at their tv watching the officials make that spot? I saw the official on the top run in placing his foot with what I thought was the correct spot, but the official coming in from the bottom of the screen had his foot about six inches back, and he spotted the ball there. Pissed me off at the instant, but really pissed me off when the chains came out. But, felt sure the replay would correct this, and even had positive vibes from our pro SEC announcing team. Unfortunately, the SEC replay booth saw it differently. Spots can be pretty subjective, and thought we actually benefitted a couple times, but that one really hurt at a critical point.

Anyone else holler at their tv watching the officials make that spot? I saw the official on the top run in placing his foot with what I thought was the correct spot, but the official coming in from the bottom of the screen had his foot about six inches back, and he spotted the ball there. Pissed me off at the instant, but really pissed me off when the chains came out. But, felt sure the replay would correct this, and even had positive vibes from our pro SEC announcing team. Unfortunately, the SEC replay booth saw it differently. Spots can be pretty subjective, and thought we actually benefitted a couple times, but that one really hurt at a critical point.
You are right on about the spot. Also thought the hold on Knapp was a pathetic call.

Yes … I punched a pillow

• Haha
Reactions: Holycrossover3
👍

I did. That was a joke of a spot. I thought live during the play that Leonard was clearly over the line, and had gotten the first.

I was stunned that the original spot held up.

I was angry about that call too, but I have to say that the officiating was pretty solid overall. Their interpretation of pass interference was consistent for both teams throughout the game, which isn't something you can always count on from officials.

Pretty sure they said it was an ACC replay crew

Reactions: Telx1
Pretty sure they said it was an ACC replay crew
You’re right! I’m damn near deaf and wear aids, etc…and clearly (in my mind) heard the announcers say the SEC replay booth. Checking from your post and now read references to the ACC officials in the replay booth, etc…

NO -- trying to make that call that in a live setting, with bodies flying fast, is really difficult. Also, replay only looked one angle -- where was the football in relation to the line to gain? He (Leonard) is pointing with his left hand, so the ball has to be in his right arm -- where is that in relation to the LTG stick?

All the fat asses on the sofa can be ticked -- you notice, Freeman only winced -- the on field official made a remarkable spot. Yea, it sucked for ND fans (me included) -- but there was not definitive evidence available to overturn it.

NEVER EVER listen to the announcers (in relation to penalties and spots) -- they have NO flipping of what they speak about.

PS -- the yellow line you see on TV is NOT the actual spot of the LTG -- that is for the moronic fat asses on the sofa.

Agreed. Guys falls down, gets a holding call. That was definitely the 2nd worse call of the night.
"That was definitely the 2nd worse call of the night."

Can you definitively state the ball actually crossed the LTG? TV replay is inconclusive. If Leonard is pointing with his left arm, where is the ball? in his right arm --

Reactions: HRC08
It was very close. Right foot left foot close. I thought he got it. But in that situation, you roll the dice and if it’s close , then you leave it in the hands of the refs. That’s what happened. If ND gets a better push , then it’s clearly a first down. Credit to the Aggies defense on that play

Reactions: BGI User 756

Can you definitively state the ball actually crossed the LTG? TV replay is inconclusive. If Leonard is pointing with his left arm, where is the ball? in his right arm --

I’m pretty sure. Given where his body was and that the ball would only have to touch the front side of the yellow line, I feel like he definitely made it.

It was very close. Right foot left foot close. I thought he got it. But in that situation, you roll the dice and if it’s close , then you leave it in the hands of the refs. That’s what happened. If ND gets a better push , then it’s clearly a first down. Credit to the Aggies defense on that play
It’s the position of the ball that determines location that’s why the review decision with the benefit of the aerial view baffled me

NO -- trying to make that call that in a live setting, with bodies flying fast, is really difficult. Also, replay only looked one angle -- where was the football in relation to the line to gain? He (Leonard) is pointing with his left hand, so the ball has to be in his right arm -- where is that in relation to the LTG stick?

All the fat asses on the sofa can be ticked -- you notice, Freeman only winced -- the on field official made a remarkable spot. Yea, it sucked for ND fans (me included) -- but there was not definitive evidence available to overturn it.

NEVER EVER listen to the announcers (in relation to penalties and spots) -- they have NO flipping of what they speak about.

PS -- the yellow line you see on TV is NOT the actual spot of the LTG -- that is for the moronic fat asses on the sofa.
It was obvious that the ball was over the yard to gain mark. The angle was straight down the field of play.

While I thought it was a bad call and should have been overturned by the replay officials, I think ball spot reviews are generally hard to overturn absent some pretty clear evidence. So while I was disappointed I wasn't necessarily surprised. On the whole I thought it was a well officiated game.

Terrible call. One of worst I’ve seen

His body was fully passed the yellow TV line by 2/3 of a yard. The TV line is never that far off. Also, watch the replay and follow the actions of the line judge on the top of the screen (who is watching the ball as he is facing Leonard) when he meets up with the opposing down judge. He shuffles back toward ND huddle after original marking, then places the ball off his left foot when he originally marked with his right foot.

FWIW, Harbie even acknowledged that he made the first down. And the pointing with his left hand happened after the whistle was blown and he was pushed back

Agreed. Guys falls down, gets a holding call. That was definitely the 2nd worse call of the night.
There were a lot of weak holding calls in this game. ACC officals were in over their head as far as the interior play imo. I was screaming at the tv about some soft bs calls all night.

There were a lot of weak holding calls in this game. ACC officals were in over their head as far as the interior play imo. I was screaming at the tv about some soft bs calls all night.
I still believe that we’re still viewed as interlopers in the ACC.

Whatever happened to the ref who called the targeting penalty against us against Pitt and the pick play against FSU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT