ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on the Press CONF/Spring Roster

TONY_RICCIO

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 6, 2015
Positives:

1) CJ being cross trained at RB. Right now ND only has 2 RB on the roster for spring ball, plus I feel CJ has true RB skills

2) Cage being listed in the 310 pound range - Last year he was too big.

3) Open competition at QB. I want Malik to get a fair shot, IMO, he will force Kelly to have a more balanced offense.

4) Talking about the progress Redfield made in the bowl game and the high expectations for him this year.

5) Talking about the upside of some of the young DL like Bonner, Hayes and Tillery

6) Seeing That Folston add some more size

7) Nick Martin back to OC. When Healthy (Which he was not last year- Hand Injury and coming off of Knee surgery) he is a better OC then OG

8) KeiVarae Russell - Doing all the things needed to come back to ND!

9) Quenton Nelson and Alex Bars both to compete at the open OG spot. Both are BIG/STRONG and talented young Kids!

10) Doug Randolph playing the Rush postilion. IMO, he has the skills to be a good edge rusher.

11) Playing Ball State in the future - We need to start making the schedule a bit easier (Like OSU does).

12) Having Denson work with Bryant to get him to try to simplify things (Bryant Needs to stop trying to make so many moves and just make a quick cut and go down hill)

Negatives:

1) Ishaq - [/B]Doe not sound good for his return

2) Keeping Jaylon at ILB. Smith's Strength is Roaming Down the field, Blitzing and moving side to side. His weakness is taking on Blockers when playing inside (Which he is forced to do more at that spot). He should be moved outside LB Spot that Jame O is playing. I blame this on our DC.

3) Keeping James O at OLB. He should be moved to SS. He is a tough, physical kid, who lacks the size for LB but is plenty Big, Tough and Athletic enough to play SS. Plus we need depth at S. I blame this on our DC.

4) Not Moving Rochelle to DT. The kid is not a 4-3 DE (He is not a pass rusher) and is the perfect fit for a 4-3 DT. He played great at that spot against LSU, plus that is the spot he wants to play (He told the reporters this before the LSU game). I blame this on our DC.

5) Moving Martini to OLB (James O spot), While I like him as an ILB, he is skill set is not fit to be an OLB. I blame this on our DC.

6) Not hearing from Kelly that ND was going to simplify the defense. Players and one EX ASST coach have stated that our DC scheme was way too complicated last year. I blame this on Kelly for not making our DC simplify the defense.

7) John Turner to S. Not trying to be mean, but the kid will not help at that spot (He just can not play) and we need help (Depth) at that spot!

Reactions: ClearTheWay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.