ADVERTISEMENT

SC Recent Memories

tbonesays

I've posted how many times?
Jul 12, 2017
I have a patchy memory of our rivalry and can describe some games in specific detail (I think!? 🤔) while others (2019) I would need to look up just to know what happened. No cheating for this post.

2011: Hendrix finally gets in at qb and attempts to pass beyond the LOS, fails.

2013: Three scores in the first quarter and then the offenses vanished. I think the last three qtrs had 3 points.

2015: SC got the ball back with awful field position, trailing, with 3 minutes left in the game. SC burns their remaining time by running straight at the ND line so they could lose near midfield.

2014-2016. Nothing, the team had quit.

2017: ND pounces and destroys future PAC Champion SC 28-0 to start the game. We thus destroyed our own tv ratings as the rest of the world changed channels to the Michigan game.

2018: ND is playing a de facto wild card game. SC has the ball, the lead, and running clear in ND territory. Fortune's wheel suddenly turns on a Trojan fumble and Ian Book forces a close win.

2022: Pyne looks like Caleb, in the 3rd qtr for maybe 5 minutes.

Who else has brief memories that represent the entire game?

The 1977 Trojan Horse game---It was my senior year at ND. The team came out in the traditional blue unis for warmups. At gametime, however, a huge wooden horse emerged from the tunnel followed by the team in green unis. The stadium absolutely erupted. The fans went wild. ND totally dominated a highly ranked Trojan team, winning 49-19. It was possibly the best ND game I ever attended.

1956 at the L.A. Coliseum. Hornung takes a kickoff to the house but Irish lose and end with 2-8 season. Hornung wins Heisman.

2023: The Trojan reigning Heisman qb comes into South Bend and trapped by a golden defensive scheme that forces 5 turnovers that finally breaks an undefeated SC team.

Unlike 2005 we were spared a graphic jinxing the end of an undefeated streak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT