ADVERTISEMENT

Rooting for the PAC 12 to survive

NDSMC78

All Star
Aug 20, 2001
Wetzel lays out a cause why CFB fans in general should be pulling for the PAC 12 to survive. I happen to agree with him not only with respect to the PAC 12, but also for the ACC and Big 12. Having only two leagues would be, as he suggests, "a depressing disaster."

Good article. There are two possible outcomes. The Pac survives by entering into a 6-3-3 agreement with the ACC (six pac games, three acc, three OC games) with a championship game between the two conferences or the Big 12 takes some of the Pac teams, The problem is that Oregon and UW think they are too good for either the new Pac or Big 12 so they would prefer to wait it out, in the hope of ND joining the BIG and them tagging along.

The problem for them is that everyone knows they feel that way and it will be proved when they fail to agree to any new long-term deal with the Pac with a large buyout. Add that the BIG knows that for their league to survive, they have to lock up new teams while there is pressure on them.

Most likely right now is the Pac/ACC thing but.... If the Arzona Schools and/or Utah and Colorado get nervous about the future and feel they need a long term deal they will sign with the Big 12. And if two more teams leave the Pac is dead.

So, a hot mess with only the BIG/the Sec and ND (if they change their mind, they can join any conference any time they want) in good shape

This is all about $$$$$ and Oregon (Phil Knight & Nike) want into the Big10, along with USC and UCLA. If that happens the Pac 12 is at a standing eight (8) count, and need a plan that convinces Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado to stay.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next move is a shocker. Reports are the Big10 is chasing Florida and North Carolina. From a "Fox TV" perspective these two targets represent more $$$$$. Florida is heavily populated by a lot of retirees from traditional Big10 states and NC is one of the fastest growing states so there is a vision within the Big10's plan - - the largest state university in a heavily populated state, which is why Colorado and Utah are not being targeted by the Big10.

As of right now the Pac12's vision appears to be "survival" which is not a plan.

Are there a bunch of people out there that have so long of a life left that they are willing to destroy college football for the sake of money? Is any fan actually enjoying NIL, super conferences, transfer portal, etc? I’m not really following any of it. Im no expert. But I’m sort of an expert on the general fan. It’s kind of leaving a bad taste. Just the average fan, but it’s becoming as big of a turn off as a skinny girl gone fat.

Reactions: ndaustin
Are there a bunch of people out there that have so long of a life left that they are willing to destroy college football for the sake of money? Is any fan actually enjoying NIL, super conferences, transfer portal, etc? I’m not really following any of it. Im no expert. But I’m sort of an expert on the general fan. It’s kind of leaving a bad taste. Just the average fan, but it’s becoming as big of a turn off as a skinny girl gone fat.
Then quit watching.

I will and already have. I still watch ND. Thanks turd. You add nothing to the board.

If millions of fans get turned off, and I know a lot that already are getting that way, it’ll backfire.
If millions of fans get turned off?? Gambling alone fuels fandom, both in CFB and the NFL.

If millions of fans get turned off?? Gambling alone fuels fandom, both in CFB and the NFL.
Remember when you predicted JT Daniels wouldn’t transfer? You were so close.

Will you survive if the PAC 8/10/12 disappears?

• Haha
Reactions: pem55
I will and already have. I still watch ND. Thanks turd. You add nothing to the board.

If millions of fans get turned off, and I know a lot that already are getting that way, it’ll backfire.
Dante Moore to Oregon alone should keep you interested through Friday.

Wetzel lays out a cause why CFB fans in general should be pulling for the PAC 12 to survive. I happen to agree with him not only with respect to the PAC 12, but also for the ACC and Big 12. Having only two leagues would be, as he suggests, "a depressing disaster."

While the nostalgist in me agrees completely with Wetzel's sentiments, the realist in me says it's time to start rolling with the punches.

Reactions: rrdd2021
While the nostalgist in me agrees completely with Wetzel's sentiments, the realist in me says it's time to start rolling with the punches.

Point taken, but I am willing to wait a little longer and see where the dust settles. I don't think there is any likelihood that room won't be made for us, should the need arise.

Reactions: Kelso86

Got it. I’ll write that down.

Eh. Most ND fans would love it if the ACC became far and away the most dominant conference in basketball and baseball. I mean like, ACC teams winning 85% of the national championships. When ND wins the ACC in hoops, it would really be a fantastic achievement; etc.

If your school is part of a conference, it is natural to want to see that conference grow as strong as possible. Similar to wanting to see ND go 12-0 vs by far the most difficult schedule in the nation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT