ADVERTISEMENT

Rondale Moore - a 3 Star

Chitownrealist

Shakes Down The Thunder
Dec 27, 2006
Not to rekindle this annual issue but how does Rondale Moore end up a 5.7 3 star? His high school in Louisville was ranked 9th in the nation, won the Kentucky 6a state championship, and he was Gatorade player of the year in Kentucky with all sorts of other awards. (No way he flew under the radar). Say what you want about his measurables, but it took me one offensive series against Northwestern to wonder why we didn’t go after him. Then watching the OSU game - the kid is a game changer. Not sure if he qualified, but if he did - wow did people miss out on that one.

Louisville kid-----quite sure Brohm had a relationship for quite awhile.

Certainly the best frosh skill kid I've seen this year.

Rondale Moore was a composite 0.9135, 4 star player, ranked #229 nationally. Rivals was the only service that viewed him as a 3 star, and their wrong opinion of him was the only reason he was even that low... Easily would have been a top 200 player if Rivals had evaluated him in line with the other major services.

That's why you're always better to go with the composite.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXNDFan88
Not to rekindle this annual issue but how does Rondale Moore end up a 5.7 3 star? His high school in Louisville was ranked 9th in the nation, won the Kentucky 6a state championship, and he was Gatorade player of the year in Kentucky with all sorts of other awards. (No way he flew under the radar). Say what you want about his measurables, but it took me one offensive series against Northwestern to wonder why we didn’t go after him. Then watching the OSU game - the kid is a game changer. Not sure if he qualified, but if he did - wow did people miss out on that one.

The simple answer:
Recruiting rankings aren’t that accurate and are therefore not a good way to evaluate the talent of any individual, known recruit....options like film, offers, recruiting priority, measureables, etc. are all much better.

Reverting rankings are only useful when discussing recruiting/talent generally, and thus other methods cannot be used to evaluate the talent in question.

Right, @chaseball ???

Reactions: Pennick4
Recruiting agencies measure players not on their college potential but pro potential. They took one look at his size and weight and dinged him. It does not mean Moore can't be a great NFL, player only that the agencies play the assessment game. Its like getting your house valued. They don't care if your bathroom has blue lapis tile. It is a bathroom. This is where the stars do not make sense. If the guy fits your offense or defense you take him.

Same thing happened at UM with Bush. A lot of pundits were angry that UM recruited Bush instead of a more highly rated LB who was a borderline 5 star. But Bush fit what UM wanted which was a smaller rabid squirrel that shot gaps instead of shedding blocks.

In basketball it gets even more extreme. John Beilein has a massive list of no name 3 stars that he identified as players who would fit his system. There is a cap in basketball because it is the most athletic of games. I define as athletic not that basketball players are more athletic but they depend more on their athletic ability. How can you take 3 strangers and suddenly have the best basketball team in the world. Does not work that way in football. Beilein can't take any scrub and turn him into a shooter. He had to know they had the skill he needed.

Take stars with a grain of salt. Does not reflect the real ability of the player.

He had a ton of offers including Penn State, OSU, Texas so I wouldn't say he was under the radar. Probably just didn't qualify for admission to ND.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Recruiting agencies measure players not on their college potential but pro potential. They took one look at his size and weight and dinged him. It does not mean Moore can't be a great NFL, player only that the agencies play the assessment game. Its like getting your house valued. They don't care if your bathroom has blue lapis tile. It is a bathroom. This is where the stars do not make sense. If the guy fits your offense or defense you take him.

Same thing happened at UM with Bush. A lot of pundits were angry that UM recruited Bush instead of a more highly rated LB who was a borderline 5 star. But Bush fit what UM wanted which was a smaller rabid squirrel that shot gaps instead of shedding blocks.

In basketball it gets even more extreme. John Beilein has a massive list of no name 3 stars that he identified as players who would fit his system. There is a cap in basketball because it is the most athletic of games. I define as athletic not that basketball players are more athletic but they depend more on their athletic ability. How can you take 3 strangers and suddenly have the best basketball team in the world. Does not work that way in football. Beilein can't take any scrub and turn him into a shooter. He had to know they had the skill he needed.

Take stars with a grain of salt. Does not reflect the real ability of the player.
So you're saying that I won't see a return on my investment of mosaic tiles that I just installed in my bathroom???

Reactions: irontooth123
I love the narrative that Recruiting services just discarded him when he was a top 250 kid on most sites.

He was Gatorade Player of the Year in Kentucky, on the 9th ranked high school team in the nation, and played in the USAAA game. In my view, if you look at the top 25 high school teams in the nation each year and then look at which of those teams have a Gatorade Player of the Year on them - that kid should not be a freaking 3 star, and if at all possible - he should have an offer from Notre Dame. I have no idea what kind of student Rondale is, and it sounds like Brohm's relationship to Trinity HS had a big part in it, but if a kid from Louisville decommits from Texas because it is too far away, ND should be all over that like white on rice.

BTW - I just pulled up an interview of kid and he comes across as a high class individual. I would be shocked if he did not qualify for ND.

He was Gatorade Player of the Year in Kentucky, on the 9th ranked high school team in the nation, and played in the USAAA game. In my view, if you look at the top 25 high school teams in the nation each year and then look at which of those teams have a Gatorade Player of the Year on them - that kid should not be a freaking 3 star, and if at all possible - he should have an offer from Notre Dame. I have no idea what kind of student Rondale is, and it sounds like Brohm's relationship to Trinity HS had a big part in it, but if a kid from Louisville decommits from Texas because it is too far away, ND should be all over that like white on rice.

BTW - I just pulled up an interview of kid and he comes across as a high class individual. I would be shocked if he did not qualify for ND.

I’m not saying the kid is dumb by saying that he probably didn’t clear admissions. You can be denied admissions for reasons other than being dumb. I don’t know if ND even actively pursued him as a recruit.

Last edited:

Again, if you read our posts, Moore was only ranked as a 3 star by Rivals, possibly for political reasons that we've discussed 1000 times. The rest of the services knew how good he was and ranked him as such. His composite ranking was a 0.9135 and he was a composite 4 star. Moore was ranked ahead of Lawrence Keys and about 10 spots behind Braden Lenzy in the composite ranking.

We're not disagreeing with you, and neither were most of the people who evaluated him. Rivals was the only one... Purdue did a nice job and got one heck of a player. ND chose to go after Lenzy and Keys, who were ranked similarly and who are both 5'11. Moore's 5'8 stature scared a lot of teams off.

One service had him as a 3*... its not like he was ignored by all

Composite 4 Star and top 230 player. Oh yeah, and also the highest rated commit to ever go to Purdue in the modern recruiting world. Guess that’s a coincidence that he’s the most talented kid they’ve have in a decade and he’s the highest rated recruit they’ve had in a decade?

Dude is a stud. Noticed him in the opener against nwestern. Dropped the first easy one and then was the best player on the field. He’s gonna be a good one.

He was a very heavily pursued kid. He was no secret nor missed by ratings. He is not the 1st 3* kid to excell.

He's young I know, but he had a tantrum on the sideline for all to see today. Throwing his helmet. Pushing away his teammates who were trying to settle him down. He has some growing up to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT