ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and the Defensive Secondary

Dec 7, 2007
I read an article in today's issue of The Athletic about the recruiting and commitment of Dallas Golden. (WIth a name like that, could he really have gone anywhere else but ND?) The article notes that if ND gets a commitment from 4* CB Mark Zackery (he will announce his commitment on May 25), ND's 3 top recruits (according to 247Sports) will all be in the defensive secondary: S Ivan Taylor, CB Dallas Golden, and CB Mark Zackery. When you think about that, it says Mike Mickens has been doing an absolutely superlative job with both coaching and recruiting. Just a few years ago our secondary was probably our weakest position group. But now it is possibly our strongest, although ND will always do well with OL.

Well done, Coach Mickens.

There were a couple of interesting lines in The Athletic article about Golden's experience with the recruiting process at ND:

"What stood out to Golden on those trips separated Notre Dame from other programs because of how different it appeared to be. Notre Dame barely talked about NIL, something other schools sometimes led with on visits. The Irish barely talked about football until Golden’s third visit, which made an impression on his parents."

When I read stuff like that, it just tells me that Marcus Freeman understands what ND is all about. Yes, the academics are tough, but he isn't running from that, he is telling recruits that is what makes ND different. It is right in line with Coach Freeman's mantra with his players to "choose hard."

I continue to believe that Marcus Freeman may be building something special. It probably hasn't happened as fast as some would like, but I like the direction things are headed.

Last edited:
Are kids being paid for universities to get an official visit to a school?

Are kids being paid for universities to get an official visit to a school?
Recruits may take an unlimited number of official visits to D1 schools, however, they are limited to one official visit per school, unless there is a head coaching change after their official visit, in which case they are entitled to a second OV. Previously recruits were limited to 5 official visits, but the NCAA changed that rule last year. Now recruits may take an unlimited number of OVs, but only 1 OV per school. Generally speaking the school may pay for transportation to and from the campus, lodging, meals and tickets to a home sporting event, which of course will be a football game for a kid being recruited to play football. Official Visits are limited to 48 hours, i.e., one weekend. I don't believe there are any limitations or restriction on unofficial visits, except that the school cannot reimburse the recruit for anything. I believe schools are still limited to hosting 56 OVs per year, but I am not certain whether that rule will be changed.

Reactions: tbonesays
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT