ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Moss

Ron Powlus football career would have been a hell of a lot different/better if he could have been throwing to Moss. Moss IMO would have made Powlus a high draft choice.
Wow. Incredible to think “what could’ve been” and who it would’ve affected.

Maybe those ND teams go 11-1 and get to a major NY Bowl Game. Even guys like Randy Kinder might’ve been high NFL picks.

Wow. Incredible to think “what could’ve been” and who it would’ve affected.

Maybe those ND teams go 11-1 and get to a major NY Bowl Game. Even guys like Randy Kinder might’ve been high NFL picks.
Losing Moss & couple others was the end of Holtz. ND football in my humble opinion took a long time to recover

Ron Powlus football career would have been a hell of a lot different/better if he could have been throwing to Moss. Moss IMO would have made Powlus a high draft choice.
That's for sure..
When Mike Miller was released from the team in 94' there was little there for him

I don’t think we “lost moss”. If I remember there was some drama back when ND didn’t allow any drama.

Today, he would have done some counseling and got help and been there which is probably more right than wrong for some of these kids.

Reactions: Kelso86
I never thought Powlus was ever a good fit in a Holtz offense. The " blarney stone " offense was hard to watch. I do believe had Powlus had gone to say Florida and played under Spurrier he might have won a Heisman or two. Truly a square peg from a football standpoint at ND at that time.

Losing Moss & couple others was the end of Holtz. ND football in my humble opinion took a long time to recover
I never thought Powlus was ever a good fit in a Holtz offense. The " blarney stone " offense was hard to watch. I do believe had Powlus had gone to say Florida and played under Spurrier he might have won a Heisman or two. Truly a square peg from a football standpoint at ND at that time.
Couldn’t agree more. I was 12 years old glued to every game, and I remember it being totally apparent that Powlus had an awesome skill set, but was a brutal fit w Holtz.

The overall talent level of Holtz's teams seemed to drop off after '93. His last 3 teams just weren't as good. Although the '95 team had a pretty good year, going 9-3 with an Orange Bowl loss to FSU.

I remember hearing rumors that the admissions dept. got tougher his last few years there, and that may have been a factor. Not sure if that's true or not, though.

The overall talent level of Holtz's teams seemed to drop off after '93. His last 3 teams just weren't as good. Although the '95 team had a pretty good year, going 9-3 with an Orange Bowl loss to FSU.

I remember hearing rumors that the admissions dept. got tougher his last few years there, and that may have been a factor. Not sure if that's true or not, though.
Rumors? Monk Malloy, who wasn't and isn't a big fan of CFB, destroyed the football program by instituting much more stringent academic standards in the early 1990's.

Last edited:

The board made a huge mistake and panicked like most shortsighted people.
All big game coaches had a slump our loss

Rumors? Monk Malloy, who wasn't and isn't a big fan of CFB, destroyed the football program by instituting much more stringent academic standards in the early 1990's.
This. Malloy was a donkey and the prime reason why Holtz left? Mike moron Wadsworth.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Not true !

Monk was a student athlete, a varsity basketball player, who embraced athletics

Very true

Not true ! He never embraced Holtz and the issues he had at ND.
And the basis for your statements are ?

Father Malloy and Holtz we’re both at ND in 1986, Holtz left by 1997, that’s 11 years they were together.

What were the ”issues” that you allude to ?

And he had the full support of Malloy. He didn't have the authority to do it on his own.
He did have the authority to make that decision on his own, but like any executive making a significant decision you inform your superior of your decision before implementing it.

As a CEO, if you don’t give your department/division heads the ability to make decisions without your approval, you’re a micro manager and not a very good delegator, ergo a poor CEO.

The impetus came from Wadsworth who in turn received the Pope‘s blessing.

Last edited:

I would go a step farther and say Powlus just wasn't that good. Every time I watch old videos of his games, I can't help but notice the funny hitch in his throwing motion. I think if he had real talent, he would have at least been able to catch on with an NFL team as a clipboard holder for a season or two, but I don't think he ever made a roster.

I would go a step farther and say Powlus just wasn't that good. Every time I watch old videos of his games, I can't help but notice the funny hitch in his throwing motion. I think if he had real talent, he would have at least been able to catch on with an NFL team as a clipboard holder for a season or two, but I don't think he ever made a roster.
Agree. He for sure had a hitch. But he could throw, I thought.

I remember I think it was his senior year, they apparently opened up the offense and were going to play to his strengths, but by that point, it was pretty much too late. He was done, and clearly never got to his ceiling at ND.

The Powlus years being such a letdown were a big part of the ugly 15 year run we eventually had. Lots of bad and disappointing years followed. The Davie, Ty, Charlie years were disastrous.

BK has his haters, no doubt about it, but I do think he saved ND football. He made his share of mistakes, and clearly not everyone loved him, but Kelly made ND relevant again. Not sure too many other coaches could’ve done it. When the dust settles and the emotion eventually goes away, Kelly should be celebrated at ND.

Agree. He for sure had a hitch. But he could throw, I thought.

I remember I think it was his senior year, they apparently opened up the offense and were going to play to his strengths, but by that point, it was pretty much too late. He was done, and clearly never got to his ceiling at ND.

The Powlus years being such a letdown were a big part of the ugly 15 year run we eventually had. Lots of bad and disappointing years followed. The Davie, Ty, Charlie years were disastrous.

BK has his haters, no doubt about it, but I do think he saved ND football. He made his share of mistakes, and clearly not everyone loved him, but Kelly made ND relevant again. Not sure too many other coaches could’ve done it. When the dust settles and the emotion eventually goes away, Kelly should be celebrated at ND.
👍

Reactions: IrishMike409

I’m a few Chianti’s deep in Vero Beach. Gloria Estefan hotel ( nice place). But if I remember correctly Holtz’s class with Moss was top 5? Class dropped after his departure.

Moss had a fight in bowling alley. ND drops him. Holtz tells Bobby Bowden it’s the best WR he’s ever recruited. Bowden signs Moss. (Weed)? Bowden releases him & he goes to Marshall. Christ, in 2023 all child’s play.

• Haha
Reactions: IrishMike409
I’m a few Chianti’s deep in Vero Beach. Gloria Estefan hotel ( nice place). But if I remember correctly Holtz’s class with Moss was top 5? Class dropped after his departure.

Moss had a fight in bowling alley. ND drops him. Holtz tells Bobby Bowden it’s the best WR he’s ever recruited. Bowden signs Moss. (Weed)? Bowden releases him & he goes to Marshall. Christ, in 2023 all child’s play.
Another very important factor in the drop-off in talent coming to Notre Dame was the tightening of admissions requirements right around that same time. I'm quite certain that there was an increase in the number of football players either transferring or being kicked out because they couldn't compete in the classroom. Notre Dame compounded the problem by refusing to compromise and admit players, who may not have ever graduated, but may have contributed on the field for two or three seasons if they had been allowed to skate along.

I believe that drug use was an issue

Another very important factor in the drop-off in talent coming to Notre Dame was the tightening of admissions requirements right around that same time. I'm quite certain that there was an increase in the number of football players either transferring or being kicked out because they couldn't compete in the classroom. Notre Dame compounded the problem by refusing to compromise and admit players, who may not have ever graduated, but may have contributed on the field for two or three seasons if they had been allowed to skate along.
Could you list the players who allegedly transferred or were kicked out.

Long before Holtz arrived on campus, players who couldn’t meet the academic rigors flunked out.

I agree 100%. Holtz was all wrong for Powlus, and maybe Moss was also. However if Moss & Powlus were together with Derrick Mayes m, TE McBrideand the RBs what could have need. Moss was a difference maker.

It’s true plus ND had a jackass AD in Mike Wadsworth who never stood up for Holtz and ended up firing Lou.

The rumor was that Moss's application was filled out in someone else's handwriting.

The rumor was that Moss's application was filled out in someone else's handwriting.
Dick Wadd killed ND football for 20 years. Total pos. Malloy was anachronism who selfishly thought football in 1990 should be the same pure sport as the basketball he played in 1930. Because of his sports prejudices and meddling He was all wrong for his time and this is well documented

Could you list the players who allegedly transferred or were kicked out.

Long before Holtz arrived on campus, players who couldn’t meet the academic rigors flunked out.
Could you do me a favor and kiss my ass?

• Haha
Reactions: tbonesays
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT