ADVERTISEMENT

Pyne, underrated?

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
I guess the kid is blowing up the AA practices and game. His high school record and numbers seemed a bit pedestrian, especially compared to Buncher's 80+ TD's. Im not sure about his high school team, their talent or what division they play in.

24-7 pass
8 rushing
32 total TD's.

9-3 team record.

I know his offer sheet was pretty impressive, I think thats a telling sign.

Not sure how old you are but, an analogy for Pyne, if he was a boxer he would be Billy Conn.

Reactions: scubastevefl
"when you weighted 168 pounds you were beautiful, you coulda been another Billy Conn. Skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast."

It’s his height (listed at 6’, probably shorter). If he were doing what he’s doing, but was 6’3, I think you’d see a different reaction to him which is fair enough since all the data we have about QBs needing height and needing all world other things to compensate if they don’t have height.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotreDame du Lac
I guess the kid is blowing up the AA practices and game. His high school record and numbers seemed a bit pedestrian, especially compared to Buncher's 80+ TD's. Im not sure about his high school team, their talent or what division they play in.

24-7 pass
8 rushing
32 total TD's.

9-3 team record.

I know his offer sheet was pretty impressive, I think thats a telling sign.
Highly underrated. Thinking he’s possibly a top 5 qb in the class. Should’ve been a 5 star. Saban wanted the kid as a sophomore so it’s not that big of a surprise. Unfortunately some of the Nancy’s on this forum are a better judge of talent than Saban.

Last edited:
It’s his height (listed at 6’, probably shorter). If were doing what he’s doing, but was 6’3, I think you’d see a different reaction to him which is fair enough since all the data we have about QBs needing height and needing all world other things to cimeosate if they don’t have height.

is that why Drew Brees ended up at Purdue? Or Russell Wilson NC State?

Reactions: notredamerises23
is that why Drew Brees ended up at Purdue? Or Russell Wilson NC State?

For Brees, probably, though he tore his ACL in his junior year. He dominated in Texas high school, but was short relative to other QBs and there weren’t any short QBs with NFL success stories at the time nor were there the types of offense we see today. He wasn’t amazingly athletic either, so that didn’t help. Drew Brees is a once in a lifetime ceiling-reacher. I think it was fair in 1997 (I think) when he was in high school, but his obvious intelligence and quick decision making at Purdue made him an early second round pick. Teams saw thwt even though he was “short,”he found passing lanes.

Wilson was obviously a gifted athlete as he was good at everything p, but I think his height scared teams way since he didn’t play at the highest levels in Virgina (might be wrong). And again, he is a ceiling-reacher—otherworldly pocket presence and pressure feeler, incredible decision making (QBR shows how impactful he is by making the correct decisions to run when the alternative was a small throwing window, and that doesn’t even go into yards saved by not being sacked wh n his OLin has been decent), huge hands that make his play action disguise so good, ability to find passing lanes even at his height, etc.

To be under 6’ takes an incredible amount of other things being just right to succeed. Pyne’s 18 so he might still have some growth left. If not, he just has to be thet much better at everything else.

Reactions: irish4life888
Highly underrated. Thinking he’s possibly a top 5 qb in the class. Should’ve been a 5 star. Saban wanted the kid as a sophomore so it’s not that big of a surprise. Unfortunately some of the Nacy’s on this forum are a better judge of talent than Saban.
He is and should not be a 5 star. Hes not that type of talent level

It’s his height (listed at 6’, probably shorter). If he were doing what he’s doing, but was 6’3, I think you’d see a different reaction to him which is fair enough since all the data we have about QBs needing height and needing all world other things to compensate if they don’t have height.

Does he have Drew Brees talent? By that i simply mean does he have the quality to feel the play develop dispite his size

Does he have Drew Brees talent? By that i simply mean does he have the quality to feel the play develop dispite his size

Hard to tell from high school competition, but it’s just about impossible to be that good of a quick decision maker and overall surveyor of the defense as Brees was in college and of course is now, but perhaps he can emulate some of Brees’s qualities as hell have to in order to ameliorate for lack of height.

I like his competitiveness and leadership capabilities that all good QBs need. I just don’t think he has the talent to have ND compete at for a title in the CFP era. That Ohio St./Clemson game showed just where you need to be to compete with these types of teams, though I would say we won’t always have three teams as good as these were this year nor will they always have top 5 NFL QB talent as I’m sure there’ll be QBs who don’t pan out.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Everyone compares short guys to Brees and Wilson, but who gives a damn about the NFL?

College football is different and there are and have been a lot of very good 6’ ft CFB QBs. Kyler Murray, Mayfield, JT Barret, Trace McSorely, Tua, etc.. there are plenty of very talented 6ft or so QBs in CFB, those were just a few I thought of without any difficulty.

Everyone compares short guys to Brees and Wilson, but who gives a damn about the NFL?

College football is different and there are and have been a lot of very good 6’ ft CFB QBs. Kyler Murray, Mayfield, JT Barret, Trace McSorely, Tua, etc.. there are plenty of very talented 6ft or so QBs in CFB, those were just a few I thought of without any difficulty.

I was talking about there time in college, I don’t think I’ve Purdue in a Rose Bowl since.

Pyne is the type of QB the top programs want to have as a “filler” year. A player that doesn’t really have nfl potential and isn’t expecting to start day one but if their elite stud goes down he’s good enough to still win with and will most likely stay in the program even if not starting.

Pyne is the type of QB the top programs want to have as a “filler” year. A player that doesn’t really have nfl potential and isn’t expecting to start day one but if their elite stud goes down he’s good enough to still win with and will most likely stay in the program even if not starting.
Kind of describes Book when he was recruited. We differ in our opinions of Pyne. I think he is more athletic than you do; and I think he has a stronger arm than Book at the same stage in their careers, and possibly stronger now. He clearly does not have Book’s fear of making a mistake, and he has shown time and again both willingness and accuracy on long throws. Personally, I think this kid will be a very successful QB in college; the real question being can he win that starting job at ND where completion will be fierce.

Kind of describes Book when he was recruited. We differ in our opinions of Pyne. I think he is more athletic than you do; and I think he has a stronger arm than Book at the same stage in their careers, and possibly stronger now. He clearly does not have Book’s fear of making a mistake, and he has shown time and again both willingness and accuracy on long throws. Personally, I think this kid will be a very successful QB in college; the real question being can he win that starting job at ND where completion will be fierce.
Books arm its stronger right now

I hope your right, I just think he’s no where near the athlete book is and book isn’t elite.
Agree 100% that he is fearless and more accurate downfield.

I hope your right, I just think he’s no where near the athlete book is and book isn’t elite.
Agree 100% that he is fearless and more accurate downfield.
He is rated way higher than Book was. There has been national hype around Pyne for 3 years. Some cooled when he failed to get taller. Book never had hype, period.

He is rated way higher than Book was. There has been national hype around Pyne for 3 years. Some cooled when he failed to get taller. Book never had hype, period.
BecUse book was small average armed and passive,
Pyne is very aggressive and way ahead of book mentally. Book has developed physically to a like Pyne does not have the potential to get to. Book is still scared at times where Pyne seems fearless .

Did anybody see him play the other night in the high school all star game? He was clearly the best QB on the field. He can throw that football. We are lucky to have him at ND.

if he can read a defense, have accuracy on longer throws and hit a TE down the seam, he’s good enough in my book. He’ll never be the runner Book is, but that doesn’t make him a bad QB.

Reactions: Telx1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT