ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff idea

mikeoc

ND Expert
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2010
Okay...I'm 57 and am a childish fanatic which quite frankly covers about 90 percent of this board based just upon how many posts we have.

Because I'm an older fart I still revel in the tradition of college football which is it's best trait. That's why the names of Notre Dame , USC, Alabama and the likes still resonate year after year for 60 years plus.

So I propose a football playoff model which upholds tradition, makes 10 bowl games important and most importantly produces a true champion,.

1. Go back to traditional big four bowl lineup and tie ins. Sec champ vs at large on sugar bowl played dec 31st. Big ten champ vs pac 12 champ in rose, big 12 champ vs at large in fiesta, acc champ vs at large in orange all on new years day.

The winners of these four games are automatically in the playoffs. They will be seeded 1 thru 4 and will HOST a playoff game.

The remaining spots 5 the 8 will be voted on by a committee or computer system etc. They will be seeded 5 the 8 and will play on the road the first game

After the first round the next games will be home games for the highest 2 remaining seeds...just like the final four in the nfl.

The championship game will be played like a super bowl at a neutral site.

This plan makes the big four new years games huge. Now a 9 and 3 pac 12 team could gain a spot in playoffs with a win

And a 12 and 0 great team oould lose the bowl game but still get voted in as a 5 thru 8 seed.

Most importantly bowls like the cotton peach citrus holiday etc become relevant if a teams kicks ass and makes the top 8

There are no travel and ticket sales worries since the quarter finals and semi finals are played on campus.

And imagine southern teams having to play road games in a northern envirement.

This plan most closely mirrors NFL playoffs which if you love football is the gold standard.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Mizzo37
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News