ADVERTISEMENT

Football Peter Schivarelli endows Notre Dame football defensive line coach position

Tyler James

All Star
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
From FightingIrish.com:

South Bend, Indiana — Peter Schivarelli of Chicago, Illinois, has made a gift to the University of Notre Dame to endow the football program’s defensive line coach position. Peter is a 1971 Notre Dame graduate and former defensive lineman on the Fighting Irish football team.

The endowment will help underwrite the salary of the defensive line coach, provide stability and resources for the long term and create funds for use within the athletics department. This is the eighth Notre Dame football coaching staff position, including head coach, that has been endowed.

"I am so thankful to Peter and his family for their continued support of Notre Dame football," said University Vice President and James E. Rohr Director of Athletics Pete Bevacqua. "His generosity impacts our student-athletes nearly everyday not just through his philanthropic support, but also the time and knowledge he provides. Peter’s decision to endow our defensive line coach position is critical to our future success and gifts like these are integral to our athletic programs."

Al Washington will assume the title of Peter Schivarelli Defensive Line Coach. Washington is entering his third season as Notre Dame’s defensive line coach and defensive run game coordinator. His defensive line played a key role in a Fighting Irish defense that finished the 2023 season as one of the top units in the country. As Notre Dame’s defensive line coach over the last two seasons, Washington has mentored NFL draft picks Isaiah Foskey and Javontae Jean-Baptiste along with key 2024 returnees Howard Cross III and Rylie Mills.

“Peter is one of the most giving people I have ever met,” said Dick Corbett Head Football Coach Marcus Freeman. “He goes above and beyond to share his time, his knowledge and in this case, his resources. He has such a deep passion for Notre Dame and wants nothing more than for all programs here, including football, to be successful. We appreciate Peter’s support and are grateful for his willingness to endow the defensive line coach position.”

Schivarelli has a long history of supporting the University of Notre Dame and its athletics department. He is a member of the Advisory Council for the Student-Athlete, Jesse Harper Council, Cavanaugh Council, Friends of Ted and Ned and the Ara Parseghian Medical Research Fund along with being a major supporter of the Notre Dame Marching Band. He also provided the resources to establish the Schivarelli Football Players’ Lounge inside the north tunnel of Notre Dame Stadium. Additionally, Schivarelli spearheaded the efforts to create a statue in honor of his former coach, Ara Parseghian, that resides outside Gate B of Notre Dame Stadium.

“Notre Dame has been very generous in its thanks for anything I have done, but to me I can never do enough to repay them for what they have done for me, and my entire life, since I walked in as a freshman in 1967,” said Schivarelli. “I received some financial help from the athletic department and the football team that came at a time I needed it most. I always felt that after graduation all players should, at the least, give back what their scholarship cost in their days. What that scholarship was worth could never be repaid. It is my honor to endow the defensive line coach position, especially since that is the position I played.”

Schivarelli is President and Chief Executive Officer of Critter Management in addition to being the longtime manager of the rock band Chicago.

Notre Dame Football Endowed Coaching Staff Positions
Dick Corbett Head Football Coach – Marcus Freeman
Bob Hinton Defensive Coordinator – Al Golden
John and Bobbie Arlotta Family Offensive Coordinator – Mike Denbrock
Joe Moore Offensive Line Coach – Joe Rudolph
Peter Schivarelli Defensive Line Coach – Al Washington
Pat and Jana Eilers Defensive Backs Coach – Mike Mickens
Bob and Leslie Mohr Family Quarterbacks Coach – Gino Guidugli
Trematerra Family Director of Football Performance – Loren Landow

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards