ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ryder Cup...Yeesh

raulduke_007

I've posted how many times?
Jan 5, 2010
The Ryder Cup is my favorite part of golf but yeesh today was about as brutal a day I can ever remember. I didnt think it could get worse than the morning but the afternoon when it looked like we were gonna salvage the day then Rahm & Hovland ripped our hearts out on 18. Then Homa & Wyndem with the choke job on 17 & 18.
Speith was so bad the anger turned to empathy.
I thought one of the best analysis was when Ian said how can you go into the Ryder Cup & the majority of the American team hadnt played a meaningful match since the Fed Ex Cup.

Reactions: Airzee23
Horrible strategy by 🇺🇸. All the euro trash played in a high level tournament two weeks ago.

Europe just too tough for them!
To have Scotty & Brooks birdie 6 out of 7 down the stretch & be up 1 going to 18 and not come away with a point summed up the day. Max & Wyndem on 17 after watching both Euro's miss the green not to put one on the green was inexcusable. JT battled & Spieth looked like a muni hacker out there. Even best case scenerio tomorrow going 6-2 or 5 1/2-2 1/2. The Euro still have an advantage in Singles on Sunday.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
Horrible strategy by 🇺🇸. All the euro trash played in a high level tournament two weeks ago.
“trash” ?

They’re highly respected golfers, amongst the best in the world !

“trash” ?

They’re highly respected golfers, amongst the best in the world !
I love Rahm he is my favorite golfer but god damn he made me hate him today. He just kept kicking us in the balls with his chip ins & that last putt would of missed by 10 ft if it doesnt bounce up & in lol

To have Scotty & Brooks birdie 6 out of 7 down the stretch & be up 1 going to 18 and not come away with a point summed up the day. Max & Wyndem on 17 after watching both Euro's miss the green not to put one on the green was inexcusable. JT battled & Spieth looked like a muni hacker out there. Even best case scenerio tomorrow going 6-2 or 5 1/2-2 1/2. The Euro still have an advantage in Singles on Sunday.
It’s beyond ugly today on day 2

Scottie and Brooks down 7 after 9. Speith playing like a 20 HC. Can’t hit a putt at all, can’t find the fairway

The trash are the multi, multi millionaire Americans who show up to the Ryder Cup and do nothing but complain about not getting paid.

Its hardly a surprise it’s not a paying gig, if you don’t like it decline the invitation.

The trash are the multi, multi millionaire Americans who show up to the Ryder Cup and do nothing but complain about not getting paid.

Its hardly a surprise it’s not a paying gig, if you don’t like it decline the invitation.
Totally agree, just an embarrassment. It's clear to me the Europeans have more pride, and simply want it more. We need to drastically change our selection process

Totally agree, just an embarrassment. It's clear to me the Europeans have more pride, and simply want it more. We need to drastically change our selection process
Wanting it more rarely yields positive results on the golf course. It’s not an effort sport. Just ask Spieth/Thomas, they are clearly pressing.

Spieth is my favorite player and it’s maddening how such an elite golfer can look so pedestrian at times. He’s hit numerous shots that a 10 handicap would be livid about. Agree that DJ and Dechambeau should have been selected along with Glover.

Wanting it more rarely yields positive results on the golf course. It’s not an effort sport. Just ask Spieth/Thomas, they are clearly pressing.

Spieth is my favorite player and it’s maddening how such an elite golfer can look so pedestrian at times. He’s hit numerous shots that a 10 handicap would be livid about. Agree that DJ and Dechambeau should have been selected along with Glover.
Can't agree, wanting it more keeps you more focused on the shot. Been playing golf for 30 years, and focus is everything. Agree Glover should have been there as well as Keegan

Was wondering why a vice captain isn’t walking with him and JT every step

Can't agree, wanting it more keeps you more focused on the shot. Been playing golf for 30 years, and focus is everything. Agree Glover should have been there as well as Keegan
For several of the US players, they are squeezing too tight. Spieth, Xander, JT, Clark

We’ll over 30 years and 4 handicap playing twice a week. Wanting it more adds pressure, and very few guys in golf play better under pressure ,Koepka comes to mind. It’s a fine line of staying within yourself, calm and doing what got you there- rarely does trying harder help. At least for my mental midget self.

We’ll over 30 years and 4 handicap playing twice a week. Wanting it more adds pressure, and very few guys in golf play better under pressure ,Koepka comes to mind. It’s a fine line of staying within yourself, calm and doing what got you there- rarely does trying harder help. At least for my mental midget self.
Well, over 60 years and a plus 2 handicap, having played in the USGA Sr Amateur, USGA Mid Amateur and the USGA Amateur, in match play wanting it more and wanting to beat your opponent adds incentive, not pressure.

Match play, inherently has far less pressure than Medal Play, where every swing has the potential for disaster or glory. Match play puts far less pressure on the player.

In match play you only have one opponent.
In Medal play you have !40+ opponents.

Wanting it more is a significant factor and almost always beats guys who just show up !

At least that’s the way it was for my mental midget self ! 😜

Only a 9 HCP :) but like I said, wanting means dialing in your focus, and I believe the Europeans do a better job of that, for whatever reason. Just seems to mean more to them.

Well, over 60 years and a plus 2 handicap, having played in the USGA Sr Amateur, USGA Mid Amateur and the USGA Amateur, in match play wanting it more and wanting to beat your opponent adds incentive, not pressure.

Match play, inherently has far less pressure than Medal Play, where every swing has the potential for disaster or glory. Match play puts far less pressure on the player.

In match play you only have one opponent.
In Medal play you have !40+ opponents.

Wanting it more is a significant factor and almost always beats guys who just show up !

At least that’s the way it was for my mental midget self ! 😜
+2 at any age is impressive! Good points on match play but at the end of the day, who is playing better golf and making more putts is going to win despite how bad one wants it. From my experience, wanting it more= trying harder which equals tension and playing tight usually doesn’t bode well for me.

Compared to other sports where the will, effort can be imposed, golf doesn’t work that way for me. You can’t control Rahm chipping in, 30foot eagle putts etc. Scottie and Brooks birdied 4/5 holes yesterday with a lead and wasn’t enough . My best golf is played when I tell myself I’m no good a enjoy the walk.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Lost alot of respect for Rory today. US getting absolutely destroyed & Euro's been celebrating every big putt for 2 days, yet he loses his cool when the Americans finally make one on 18 because a caddy waived his cap around. Not a good look.

Lost alot of respect for Rory today. US getting absolutely destroyed & Euro's been celebrating every big putt for 2 days, yet he loses his cool when the Americans finally make one on 18 because a caddy waived his cap around. Not a good look.
Never liked the dude

+2 at any age is impressive! Good points on match play but at the end of the day, who is playing better golf and making more putts is going to win despite how bad one wants it. From my experience, wanting it more= trying harder which equals tension and playing tight usually doesn’t bode well for me.

Compared to other sports where the will, effort can be imposed, golf doesn’t work that way for me. You can’t control Rahm chipping in, 30foot eagle putts etc. Scottie and Brooks birdied 4/5 holes yesterday with a lead and wasn’t enough . My best golf is played when I tell myself I’m no good a enjoy the walk.
Have you ever been over a two footer and had your doubts that you’ll make it ?
Have you ever been over a six footer knowing that you’ll make it ?

The mind influences and dictates performance.

While it’s true that there’s no defense in golf, your mindset determines how you play.

Ben Hogan stated that the most important distance in golf is the 5 inches between the golfer’s ears.

When I was playing match play I had a totally different mindset than when I was playing medal.

You play better golf when your head is into it and you’re focused on winning.

Never liked the dude
The U.S. team at Brookline influenced and changed the tone of the vibe and the media fueled the lack of sportsmanship.

The Ryder Cup is no longer the gracious sporting competition that it once was, and that’s unfortunate !

The U.S. team at Brookline influenced and changed the tone of the vibe and the media fueled the lack of sportsmanship.

The Ryder Cup is no longer the gracious sporting competition that it once was, and that’s unfortunate !
Poulter and Garcia had a lot to do with dialing up the theatrics, don’t kid yourself

Have you ever been over a two footer and had your doubts that you’ll make it ?
Have you ever been over a six footer knowing that you’ll make it ?

The mind influences and dictates performance.

While it’s true that there’s no defense in golf, your mindset determines how you play.

Ben Hogan stated that the most important distance in golf is the 5 inches between the golfer’s ears.

When I was playing match play I had a totally different mindset than when I was playing medal.

You play better golf when your head is into it and you’re focused on winning.
No doubt but for many the added pressure/mind set you have turns to fear over that 2 footer. Golf is a fickle game and I guess I’m not buying the fact that the US is losing cause they don’t want it as much.

Poulter wasn’t on the 99 team.
Didn’t say he was. Said he and Garcia upped the disrespect with their antics. Obviously in the years since.

And I was at Brookline inside the ropes. Lot of gamesmanship on both sides, even sweet Padraig Harrington

Poulter wasn’t on the 99 team.
Seve & Monty played larger roles than Brookline ever did & im ok with it. The Ryder Cup is a different kind of event & its ok if these guys have a week to ve rivals. Having said that Rory probably gonna recieve alot more heckling in the states & I dont think he is built for it.

No doubt but for many the added pressure/mind set you have turns to fear over that 2 footer. Golf is a fickle game and I guess I’m not buying the fact that the US is losing cause they don’t want it as much.
In agreement. It’s quite clear that Scottie and JT and Jordan and Xander played tight and lacking some confidence

If one team is highly motivated and another team is blase’, I’ll take the highly motivated team every time.

If one team is highly motivated and another team is blase’, I’ll take the highly motivated team every time.
No doubt but making the correlation that because somebody got beat, especially in golf, because the the other guy wanted it more doesn’t add up to me. They’ll have some Rory motivation and nothing to lose tomorrow

No doubt but making the correlation that because somebody got beat, especially in golf, because the the other guy wanted it more doesn’t add up to me. They’ll have some Rory motivation and nothing to lose tomorrow
I agree, but having a killer instinct, a driven purpose counts for something

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT