ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP, Willie Mays

Best baseball player ever. Loved the joy and enthusiasm with which he played the game. I was lucky enough to see him play a few times. By then he was well past his prime, but I guess you always remember seeing one of your heroes play.

RIP, Willie. You were the best.
Lifelong LA Dodger fan.

Vin Scully, who announced Brooklyn and LA Dodger baseball for 67 years, called Willie Mays the greatest player he ever saw.

RIP. He was one of the best. When I think of Willie Mays, I also think of Aaron and Mantle. They were all outfielders and three of the all-time greats, and their careers spanned roughly the same time periods.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
RIP. He was one of the best. When I think of Willie Mays, I also think of Aaron and Mantle. They were all outfielders and three of the all-time greats, and their careers spanned roughly the same time periods.
I will trust 67-year HOF broadcaster Vin Scully, who broadcasted the entire careers of Mays, Aaron, and Mantle.

Scully never hesitated mentioning Mays as the greatest MLB player he ever saw, when asked

Last edited:
Lifelong LA Dodger fan.

Vin Scully, who announced Brooklyn and LA Dodger baseball for 67 years, called Willie Mays the greatest player he ever saw.
I recently saw a YouTube video of Ted Williams talking about the game. In his opinion Shoeless Joe Jackson was the game's greatest hitter, but when you are talking about the baseball's greatest all-around player, my vote goes to Willie Mays. He may have been one of the first "five tool" players: he could hit, hit for power, run, field and throw. Mays won 2 MVPs, but I've read that by today's analytics he probably should have won 8 MVPs. Mays was my first baseball hero. I remember going to the library as a kid and checking out 3 or 4 biographies on him.

Nice article on ESPN today about the true greatness of Willie Mays:

The "Say Hey Kid" was one of a kind.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggo69
I recently saw a YouTube video of Ted Williams talking about the game. In his opinion Shoeless Joe Jackson was the game's greatest hitter, but when you are talking about the baseball's greatest all-around player, my vote goes to Willie Mays. He may have been one of the first "five tool" players: he could hit, hit for power, run, field and throw. Mays won 2 MVPs, but I've read that by today's analytics he probably should have won 8 MVPs. Mays was my first baseball hero. I remember going to the library as a kid and checking out 3 or 4 biographies on him.

The "Say Hey" kid was one of a kind.
Thank You for that article.

Last edited:
I will trust HOF broadcaster Vin Scully, who entered MLB when Mays, Aaron, and Mantle did.
Mays gets rated higher than the other two because he was the best fielder and baserunner of the three. He was a 5-tool player. Mantle and Aaron both had decent speed and were pretty good fielders, too, but not as good as Mays. Mantle was actually very fast when he was younger, but had bad knees later on.

The "Say Hey" kid was one of a kind.
As a Red Sox fan, I'll mention a stat about Williams. His career OPS of 1.116 was higher than Mays or Aaron ever had in a season. He's 2nd behind Babe Ruth all-time. That's why he's considered by many to be the greatest hitter of all time. But he certainly wasn't the 5-tool player Mays was.

Last edited:
As a Red Sox fan, I'll mention a stat about Williams. His career OPS of 1.116 was higher than Mays or Aaron ever had in a season. He's 2nd behind Babe Ruth all-time. That's why he's considered by many to be the greatest hitter of all time. But he certainly wasn't the 5-tool player Mays was.
Williams one of the game's greatest pure hitters, and possibly the best. Amazing career numbers, especially when you consider he lost almost 5 full seasons of his prime years to military service, first in WWII and then in the Korean War. As you note, he wasn't the 5-tool player that Willie Mays was, but what a hitter he was.

One of my favorite sports quips involved Ted Williams. Reportedly he got into an argument with Sam Snead (who was one of his fishing buddies) about which sport was more difficult, baseball or golf. Williams argued that baseball was harder because the ball was a moving target when you hit it. Snead acknowledged that was true, but countered that the difference between baseball and golf was that in golf you had to play your foul balls. Pretty astute observation, I'd say.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbd11
I will trust 67-year HOF broadcaster Vin Scully, who broadcasted the entire careers of Mays, Aaron, and Mantle.

Scully never hesitated mentioning Mays as the greatest MLB player of all time, when asked
Okay cool. Why start this. There is no one best player ever. There are others in that argument. It's not a definitive thing

I know great writers who would say Ruth, Williams, Dimaggio, Mantle, Aaron, Bonds etc

He's one of the greatest ever. Just because 1 person said it doesn't make it so

Okay cool. Why start this. There is no one best player ever. There are others in that argument. It's not a definitive thing

I know great writers who would say Ruth, Williams, Dimaggio, Mantle, Aaron, Bonds etc

He's one of the greatest ever. Just because 1 person said it doesn't make it so
Who mentioned it was or is definitive.

I offered one man's opinion. And it wasn't mine.

Last edited:
Who mentioned it was or is definitive.

I offered one man's opinion. And it wasn't mine.
You said I will trust, just because he said he was better than the other 2 doesn't make it so. Be cause other respected people could say something different. So need to just trust that 1 guy

Reactions: futuredomer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT