ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA proposes eliminating football's spring transfer window

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
"For the past two years, the transfer portal has also opened for a 15-day window in April.

Under the NCAAs proposal, the 30-day transfer window in December would become the lone opportunity for FBS and FCS players to enter their name in the transfer portal and seek a new school. "

That's bullshit. Why would they get rid of it, because coaches don't like it? They obviously thought it was a good enough idea to have originally instituted it, but now they want to rescind it. Because of course when players don't emerge as the starter at their position after spring ball and decide to leave coaches hate that shit. Not always, sometimes they might be fine with jettisoning the dead weight. But not starting, and concluding that perhaps you don't have much of a future with a given program is one of the main reasons why players might transfer, and not blow a year of eligibility not playing for a team where they already knew they weren't going to play when they didn't win the starting job or didn't even make second string. But the NCAA wants to put a stop to that. And to restrict their freedoms.

Hopefully this dies on the vine.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
That's bullshit. Why would they get rid of it, because coaches don't like it? They obviously thought it was a good enough idea to have originally instituted it, but now they want to rescind it. Because of course when players don't emerge as the starter at their position after spring ball and decide to leave coaches hate that shit. Not always, sometimes they might be fine with jettisoning the dead weight. But not starting, and concluding that perhaps you don't have much of a future with a given program is one of the main reasons why players might transfer, and not blow a year of eligibility not playing for a team where they already knew they weren't going to play when they didn't win the starting job or didn't even make second string. But the NCAA wants to put a stop to that. And to restrict their freedoms.

What a crybaby

Nausea reading this.

Reactions: Golson5
You know the changes in college football to a long time to happen. But now with NIL , the transfer portal and mega money for coaches , the game is changing at a rapid pace. The people in power need to get a grip on all this. It’s out of control. It has become who can give me the best bang for the buck for these players. Not just the ones already in school. It’s high schoolers shopping around for the best money deal. The NCAA or whoever is running the show need to make a decision. Is this amateur sports or professional “ lite” ? At this point just pay players to play football for your school. I mean that’s where this is all leading. Stop the charade of pretending these are “ student athletes “. The schools that truly want “ student athletes “ should break away from the pack and just start their own league. No way in hell do any schools other than football factories ever win a championship. And yes , ND as they are now are in that group. I will still watch as always. But college football as we knew it ten , twenty and thirty years ago is over. Now it’s an arms race and who can buy thr best players to have the best team. Sad

Why can't a kid shop for the best money deal for himself and still go to a college and get a degree ?

I don't see any reason why that cannot happen.

Why can't a kid shop for the best money deal for himself and still go to a college and get a degree ?

Because they have to follow the rules

Why can't nfl players shop teams every year for the best deal.

Not remotely the same thing------NFL players have signed contracts with the amount of years specified and in many cases a percentage of the dollar amount guaranteed.

College guys are on 1 year rides----no guarantee of renewal.

High School kids shopping for the best NIL deal they can get is perfectly within the rules.

So in a landscape where players are able to negotiate all this money, you really thought coaches/administration we're going to be completely ok with them moving just as freely as they have been from school to school?

There will obviously (and continue to be) consequences for the players of getting paid now, and this is one of them. And as the money goes up, the transfer rules will likely become even more strict. It's not hard to envision it eventually getting to the point where players are allowed to transfer once in 4 years of college, and they have to be at a school for at least 2 years before they do it. And that's not at all unreasonable with the money involved now.

This isn't a criticism of them getting paid. It really doesn't bother me either way. But it comes at a price, and this is one of them. As time goes on college kids can expect to be treated more harshly by the fans in terms of getting booed easier, harassed more on social media, etc. And now that they're no longer "amateurs" in terms of compensation, there's not going to be a whole lot of sympathy for them. I'm not justifying the idiotic fan behavior, just saying that overall they're going to be held to a higher standard now. And honestly, they should be.

I guess that could happen. But if something like that did happen, then eliminate the scholarships. Essentially now they are getting a free education and now making money on top of that. Instead negotiate a contract where you can go to school and play football or whatever. That seems fair to me if this is the way things are going. Oh and let’s not forget this. Absolutely no one is mandated or forced to go to college. Anything the athletes get is icing on the cake. Colleges aren’t under any obligation to give full scholarships, money or anything. I know why they do. But for players to bitch and complain about fairness is a joke. Athletes are put on pedestals. Especially elite athletes. Just think, you’re 6’4 220 pounds and run a 4.5 40. You’re a decent student. You can get your college education paid in full for 4 years anywhere. All you have to do is pick the school and play a game. Your athletic gifts made this possible. Now think of all the students who aren’t athletes and simply want a degree. Yet they get close to nothing and take loans to pay their way through or their parents sacrifice to get them a college education. That’s the way it is for thousands every year. Think about that next time some spoiled athlete complains.

I guess that could happen. But if something like that did happen, then eliminate the scholarships. Essentially now they are getting a free education and now making money on top of that. Instead negotiate a contract where you can go to school and play football or whatever. That seems fair to me if this is the way things are going. Oh and let’s not forget this. Absolutely no one is mandated or forced to go to college. Anything the athletes get is icing on the cake. Colleges aren’t under any obligation to give full scholarships, money or anything. I know why they do. But for players to bitch and complain about fairness is a joke. Athletes are put on pedestals. Especially elite athletes. Just think, you’re 6’4 220 pounds and run a 4.5 40. You’re a decent student. You can get your college education paid in full for 4 years anywhere. All you have to do is pick the school and play a game. Your athletic gifts made this possible. Now think of all the students who aren’t athletes and simply want a degree. Yet they get close to nothing and take loans to pay their way through or their parents sacrifice to get them a college education. That’s the way it is for thousands every year. Think about that next time some spoiled athlete complains.

I agree with what you're saying more than I disagree with it, but at the same time I don't blame the players at all for at some point thinking "what about ours" when they see billions of dollars being generated for the school, coaches with their multimillion dollar contracts, etc. It stopped being "amateur athletics" a looooooong time ago, so why should the players be the only ones who don't financially gain from it.

I also just think the whole "getting a free education" part of it is taken too seriously in what the landscape of college football is but let's be real; these colleges or the kid don't care about it, and nor should they really. YES, Notre Dame has a higher standard than most and that's great. I get it. But Notre Dame would also not admit ANY of these kids if they couldn't play football, and I don't know whether or not they have degree paths that are different for the athletes than for the normal students, but I would guess to some degree they do.

College Football is big business and has been for a long time. I just find it difficult to get up in arms about the players now wanting, and getting their portion of it but like I said earlier, there are consequences to that too. I just find it difficult to be upset that the kid wants 750k (or whatever) when the school is making tens of millions of dollars off of them. It's all business and the players are involved in that just as much as anyone.

"For the past two years, the transfer portal has also opened for a 15-day window in April.

Under the NCAAs proposal, the 30-day transfer window in December would become the lone opportunity for FBS and FCS players to enter their name in the transfer portal and seek a new school. "

This would be great! They should get rid of the other one too.

I agree with what you're saying more than I disagree with it, but at the same time I don't blame the players at all for at some point thinking "what about ours" when they see billions of dollars being generated for the school, coaches with their multimillion dollar contracts, etc. It stopped being "amateur athletics" a looooooong time ago, so why should the players be the only ones who don't financially gain from it.

I also just think the whole "getting a free education" part of it is taken too seriously in what the landscape of college football is but let's be real; these colleges or the kid don't care about it, and nor should they really. YES, Notre Dame has a higher standard than most and that's great. I get it. But Notre Dame would also not admit ANY of these kids if they couldn't play football, and I don't know whether or not they have degree paths that are different for the athletes than for the normal students, but I would guess to some degree they do.

College Football is big business and has been for a long time. I just find it difficult to get up in arms about the players now wanting, and getting their portion of it but like I said earlier, there are consequences to that too. I just find it difficult to be upset that the kid wants 750k (or whatever) when the school is making tens of millions of dollars off of them. It's all business and the players are involved in that just as much as anyone.
Yes all valid points and I agree. That’s why I think negotiating a contract might be something to consider. That way other schools can compete for their “ services “ . And an agreement on payment can be negotiated.

So in a landscape where players are able to negotiate all this money, you really thought coaches/administration we're going to be completely ok with them moving just as freely as they have been from school to school?

There will obviously (and continue to be) consequences for the players of getting paid now, and this is one of them. And as the money goes up, the transfer rules will likely become even more strict. It's not hard to envision it eventually getting to the point where players are allowed to transfer once in 4 years of college, and they have to be at a school for at least 2 years before they do it. And that's not at all unreasonable with the money involved now.

This isn't a criticism of them getting paid. It really doesn't bother me either way. But it comes at a price, and this is one of them. As time goes on college kids can expect to be treated more harshly by the fans in terms of getting booed easier, harassed more on social media, etc. And now that they're no longer "amateurs" in terms of compensation, there's not going to be a whole lot of sympathy for them. I'm not justifying the idiotic fan behavior, just saying that overall they're going to be held to a higher standard now. And honestly, they should be.
This isn't going to be one of them, and I predict this will get shot down too. It's blatantly intended to benefit the coaches/teams at the direct expense of the players, and thus won't hold any water, and probably will die on the vine, or be repudiated or whatever. Just like the whole there's only one free transfer and then you gotta pay the price rule they tried and failed to reimpose, because your coach and the schools you play for and represent and make money for, want to screw you by pushing for a policy that will arbitrarily limit your ability to transfer and harm your career and your prospects. This would be no different. And could even backfire strategically if it were to become law, and players started departing in ever greater droves in the sole transfer window, and didn't even bother giving spring football a chance. And besides, why would you want to have disgruntled players on your roster who would have liked to transfer if they could, but old ball coach here lobbied hard to take that freedom away from me. Even though it applies equally and is a net zero loss/gain to any and all programs affected. You lose a transfer, you bring one in. It's just inconvenient.

So it doesn't come at a price, all of these decisions and policies are completely arbitrary and there's no natural economic justice to any policy that hurts the players and helps the teams, insofar as their precious 'roster management' is concerned, with the current financial circumstances. It's just who has the power to get what they want, and right now the players have the upper hand. You want policies like this set in stone, then pay up. You mention all the money, but what money? Booster money? That's nothing. You start splitting the real money, with full professionalization and revenue sharing, then we can talk about a CBA arrangement with all the various bylaws. And the respective sides can hammer out a deal with the typical compromises. That's a joke to think they possess some sort of ethical bargaining leverage because they legalized hitherto illicit booster payoffs. Give me an effn' break. And I think you're way off base to think fans are going to turn on them, other than the usual suspects, who you already regularly lambast on this board as total psychos. So that's wishful thinking, that's what you hope happens to the players.

The upshot being you have no argument whatsoever, tendentious and feeble as it is. And you know what you need to do if you want to start reimposing these sorts of arbitrary and invidious restrictions. PAY UP....

Not remotely the same thing------NFL players have signed contracts with the amount of years specified and in many cases a percentage of the dollar amount guaranteed.

High School kids shopping for the best NIL deal they can get is perfectly within the rules.
Yes it is. Because it's going to be a rule just like the NFL has rules and they will have to follow it. Whether you call it contacts or not who cares

When This is in place, follow it

So that's wishful thinking, that's what you hope happens to the players.

The fact that you said this makes not care in any way whatsoever about everything else you said, so I have no real interest in any extended reply. I do not in ANY WAY at all "hope" those things happen to them. Quite the opposite really; it would be great if they all just got off anything social media related so they could severely cut down in having to deal with psychotics, but that will obviously never happen.

Money is involved, and a lot of it. So it's complicated. Everyone can tear it apart a million different ways, be upset at it, or whatever. It is what it is. I don't have a problem with the players being paid, but along with being paid comes caveats. And we're in the VERY early days of all this. It's going to evolve, a lot.

Anyway, enough. The fact that keep Brian Kelly as your picture says all that really needs to be said about your attention whoring here, let alone the things you actually say. Just one more for the asylum.

If that’s what you want. S be it. Just say good bye to college sports as an amateur sport

If that’s what you want. S be it. Just say good bye to college sports as an amateur sport
The reason ND fans dont like NIL is because they know that ND is pussy-footing around it and other programs are better equipping themselves to maximize it.

If ND was out in front in NIL guaranteeing big NIL bonuses to the best prospects, securing the game's best prospects, etc. the board here would be thrilled and love them some non-amateur NIL college football.

The reason ND fans dont like NIL is because they know that ND is pussy-footing around it and other programs are better equipping themselves to maximize it.

If ND was out in front in NIL guaranteeing big NIL bonuses to the best prospects, securing the game's best prospects, etc. the board here would be thrilled and love them some non-amateur NIL college football.
We're in the top 15 of NIL and ahead of some powers people may think they would be

The fact that you said this makes not care in any way whatsoever about everything else you said, so I have no real interest in any extended reply. I do not in ANY WAY at all "hope" those things happen to them. Quite the opposite really; it would be great if they all just got off anything social media related so they could severely cut down in having to deal with psychotics, but that will obviously never happen.

Money is involved, and a lot of it. So it's complicated. Everyone can tear it apart a million different ways, be upset at it, or whatever. It is what it is. I don't have a problem with the players being paid, but along with being paid comes caveats. And we're in the VERY early days of all this. It's going to evolve, a lot.

Anyway, enough. The fact that keep Brian Kelly as your picture says all that really needs to be said about your attention whoring here, let alone the things you actually say. Just one more for the asylum.
You're doing it again, this is like Jedi mind trick level arguments. Where you insist that when there's money involved things get 'complicated', which means nothing, and we're just going to have to 'accept' some pf these concessions. The players have to accept nothing, and the NCAA will continue to unilaterally do whatever they feel can get away with. And either public pressure and much more importantly legal precedent and judicial considerations have governed their actions thus far with all these liberalized rules changes and whatnot. And if they feel they can do some clawbacks on these new freedoms previously granted and they can get away with it then maybe they will. Or they'll try.

But no one would ever say in good faith nor would it ever occur to them that the players have to accept anything in particular. Like on some sort of ethical level. There'd be no basis for it. They've had no direct say on any of the changes implemented thus far, and it's just the NCAA running scared. Of course they would have offered the players nothing, and told them to keep eating cake, but for whoever bungled badly enough to arrogantly push their advantage all the way to the SCOTUS and having it blow up in their face. And then the house of cards started crumbling down in the ensuing panic.

So to repeat, when the schools want to share the real money with the players as they should be already and eventually will have to, then naturally the players will have to accept compromises. Until then - nothing. And they should resist every attempted imposition on their new rights and freedoms. And I'm not an attention whore, I'm narcissistic, didn't you know? It's the new thing, everyone's a narcissist now. Except you. It must be frustrating for a radical centrist, or however you pose yourself as, dealing with all these lunatics that don't validate your predictable, spineless opinions. But don't be intimidated. You stay spineless....

That's almost certainly guaranteed true. If we had top five classes every year and went balls out on NIL, fans would not mind....

You know the changes in college football to a long time to happen. But now with NIL , the transfer portal and mega money for coaches , the game is changing at a rapid pace. The people in power need to get a grip on all this. It’s out of control. It has become who can give me the best bang for the buck for these players. Not just the ones already in school. It’s high schoolers shopping around for the best money deal. The NCAA or whoever is running the show need to make a decision. Is this amateur sports or professional “ lite” ? At this point just pay players to play football for your school. I mean that’s where this is all leading. Stop the charade of pretending these are “ student athletes “. The schools that truly want “ student athletes “ should break away from the pack and just start their own league. No way in hell do any schools other than football factories ever win a championship. And yes , ND as they are now are in that group. I will still watch as always. But college football as we knew it ten , twenty and thirty years ago is over. Now it’s an arms race and who can buy thr best players to have the best team. Sad
I think the game will MILK ITSELF for all it's worth until either THE CURRENT EMERGING MODEL COLLAPSES under its own weight, OR the whole thing MORPHS into a totally different HIGHLY MONETIZED, self-supporting structure that removes it from the gray legal and educational waters in which it now finds itself.

And, yes, who IS running the show? Is the NCAA on the comback trail? Is it the universities? Is it lawyers? Is it TV networks, sponsors and investment bankers? Is it NIL funders and transfer brokers?

Whoever that POWER turns out to be will tell us a lot. I expect even more changes at an even FASTER RATE, but it will take at least another five years, I believe, to CONCRETIZE. Once this new playoff system has built a material enough CV, all of these other questions will in DUE COURSE be addressed, even as it's all happening by degrees even today.

And you're right about kissing the old game GOODBYE. If there were no more petroleum starting tomorrow, we'd be back in 1859 in about TWO WEEKS. The same is true of college football. It would take just as SEISMIC an event as an energy crisis to bring back even the Holtz era. Monetization of all things CFB has simply proceeded too far to be stopped by anything less powerful.

What I'M ANXIOUS TO SEE is if this all becomes merely a matter of RULES or of LAWS.

The kind of money now on the table is like BLOOD IN THE WATER. Naturally, that motivates all STAKEHOLDERS involved, both PRIVATE and PUBLIC. And given what CFB has become, the number of them now rivals the number of groups attached to any of those SOCIAL JUSTICE INTERSECTIONALITY ACRONYMS which serve in effect as their TEAM BANNERS.

In other words, it's a GROWING PIE with a GROWING NUMBER of hands in it, each of which is connected to arms connected to bodies CLAIMING RIGHTS and/or JURISDICTION and/or LEGAL STANDING and/or LABOR PRECEDENTS and/or UNIVERSITY RULES -- or simply the UNFETTERED DESIRE TO MAKE MONEY in what, after all, is a LUCRATIVE MONEY-MAKING SPORT.

The political, economic, social and cultural implications here are HUGE and will almost certainly wind up MIRRORING whatever kind of society the US decides it is over the next 4 to 8 years.

MY GUT SAYS -- CAPITAL WILL PREVAIL.

Straight up pay for play is coming soon, with employee/employer status and the works. Unions, or some similar facsimile, CBAs, and all the other legal and financial trappings of professional sports are on the doorstep. And apparently it's going to spell good riddance to women's sports, which is fine with me. And men's sports too that are totally non revenue, just to keep it woke. Obviously it will be a monumental change, with winners and losers and collateral damage and paradigm shifts and a million different new details and arrangements and rules and regs. But so be it. All of college sports was built on the backs of CFB and BB money, money was that was never their's to begin with. So all's well that ends well, or whatever folksy expression applies. Easy come easy go.....

As far as ND, they're not going to drop football. That was all just a bluff. And not even a credible one, like ND would ever drop football.

It's reached the level of politics and economics.

We all know what economics is. But what then is politics, more broadly speaking?

If economics is about the process of wealth creation, politics determines its DISTRIBUTION. WHO GETS WHAT PART OF THE HARVEST?

How much of it is the KING'S? Does the peasantry get any MEAT? Or only MEAD.

What a case study in US CAPITALISM.

Our country was DESIGNED for just such COMPETITIONS. So, sit back and watch history as it unfolds in the PRESENT.

Also worth considering is the question of which stakeholders will care if what emerges is harmful to the game's "HALLOWED TRADITIONS" if they themselves come away with enough of the spoils?

NONE THAT I CAN SEE.

I think the game will MILK ITSELF for all it's worth until either THE CURRENT EMERGING MODEL COLLAPSES under its own weight, OR the whole thing MORPHS into a totally different HIGHLY MONETIZED, self-supporting structure that removes it from the gray legal and educational waters in which it now finds itself.

And, yes, who IS running the show? Is the NCAA on the comback trail? Is it the universities? Is it lawyers? Is it TV networks, sponsors and investment bankers? Is it NIL funders and transfer brokers?

Whoever that POWER turns out to be will tell us a lot. I expect even more changes at an even FASTER RATE, but it will take at least another five years, I believe, to CONCRETIZE. Once this new playoff system has built a material enough CV, all of these other questions will in DUE COURSE be addressed, even as it's all happening by degrees even today.

And you're right about kissing the old game GOODBYE. If there were no more petroleum starting tomorrow, we'd be back in 1859 in about TWO WEEKS. The same is true of college football. It would take just as SEISMIC an event as an energy crisis to bring back even the Holtz era. Monetization of all things CFB has simply proceeded too far to be stopped by anything less powerful.
I just think the NIL and transfer portal need some boundaries. The other issue is are the players considered student athletes or student employees? If the schools just outright pay them , then they are employees and professional athletes. That is where this is all headed. You would basically have universities that have an NFL farm team. If schools do pay players directly to play for their school , I would bet a good number of schools would no want any part of that. ND being one.

I just think the NIL and transfer portal need some boundaries. The other issue is are the players considered student athletes or student employees? If the schools just outright pay them , then they are employees and professional athletes. That is where this is all headed. You would basically have universities that have an NFL farm team. If schools do pay players directly to play for their school , I would bet a good number of schools would no want any part of that. ND being one.
Yeah we definitely are headed to that, and very quickly. To employer/employee status. It's coming and soon. But it won't be an NFL farm team. It isn't that now, it wasn't that before NIL, and with the real money the players will be making in the near future it will simply a professional league for 18 to 22 year olds that is extremely popular and lucrative in its own right, with all its own glamour and traditions and dignity and reason for being. It's not the minor leagues, it's definitely the major leagues in every possible way. And I for one would bet the farm that ND will not be dropping football anytime soon. Not only do their fans not want that, it would be disastrous for their 'brand' and for the university as a whole. So brace yourself....

Yeah we definitely are headed to that, and very quickly. To employer/employee status. It's coming and soon. But it won't be an NFL farm team. It isn't that now, it wasn't that before NIL, and with the real money the players will be making in the near future it will simply a professional league for 18 to 22 year olds that is extremely popular and lucrative in its own right, with all its own glamour and traditions and dignity and reason for being. It's not the minor leagues, it's definitely the major leagues in every possible way. And I for one would bet the farm that ND will not be dropping football anytime soon. Not only do their fans not want that, it would be disastrous for their 'brand' and for the university as a whole. So brace yourself....
I don’t think ND will drop football either. However , the way they like to emphasize academics first will be an issue if they do go the way you describe. I do not see ND paying athletes directly like an employee. Maybe I’m wrong. But it flies in the face of everything they say they are about. I guess we will find out sooner or later.

None of what you posted is true. ND is as proactive with the collectives as any school I've visited or our agency has visited. At least be knowledgeable in your opinion.

That's almost certainly guaranteed true. If we had top five classes every year and went balls out on NIL, fans would not mind....
Wrong again. It's not remotely true. I'm guessing you don't fully understand the whole NIL dynamic and the schools role in it.

What folks need to understand is that there are different NIL protocols for schools based on whether the state that the school is located in has passed and enacted NIL legislation. To date 28 states have some sort of NIL legislation on the books. Indiana is not one of them.
Schools that are located in states without specific NIL legislation are required to adopt their own rules and policies regarding NIL per the NCAA. It's a fluid situation in those states for sure.
The NCAA would like nothing better than for Congress to do the job for them after they truly dropped the ball in their long standing ignorance of an issue that was not going away. They blew it and are at a loss in finding a reasonable resolution. The NCAA is no longer a reputable entity.

Reactions: 4-4-3

No college is or can guarantee any NIL money directly from the school.

What folks need to understand is that there are different NIL protocols for schools based on whether the state that the school is located in has passed and enacted NIL legislation. To date 28 states have some sort of NIL legislation on the books. Indiana is not one of them.
Schools that are located in states without specific NIL legislation are required to adopt their own rules and policies regarding NIL per the NCAA. It's a fluid situation in those states for sure.
The NCAA would like nothing better than for Congress to do the job for them after they truly dropped the ball in their long standing ignorance of an issue that was not going away. They blew it and are at a loss in finding a reasonable resolution. The NCAA is no longer a reputable entity.
So, what is your best ESTIMATE as to what will happen?

Are any of the non-NIL legislated states moving to legislate rules for this? Or are they waiting for Congress to enact a Federal law? And what is the view as to what Congress is thinking? I'd imagine there's little uniformity of thought on this topic in THAT BODY.

And is there any sentiment out there regarding MODIFYING the process or even REVERSING it?

Finally, can't the government simply BYPASS the NCAA? It's basically an NGO, right? If so, in whose interest does it even exist other than its own and the schools it serves? What do the schools think of it? Technically, they can FIRE IT, no?

When you say it's no longer a "reputable entity," what does that say about its future? I'm getting the feeling that as an org, it's REDUNDANT verging on DISPENSABLE.

Understood.

But who will ESTABLISH those boundaries? Who's in charge here? The lieutenant, the NCO or the guy with the STINGER MISSILE?

I also see your point about paying athletes.

But is that really establishing boundaries or simply letting events run their inevitable monetizable course? And, again, who would INITIATE and DIRECT this? And under what authority and auspices?

These are rhetorical questions, you understand, unless you have answers or even theories which, of course, you may.

Some years ago, when anything that walked was being PRIVATIZED, I started wondering if universities would OUTSOURCE everything but the education piece itself.

For instance, instead of having a university gym named after some venerable donor from the mists of time, you could have GOLD'S GYM at the University of Such and Such.

The same could be done with SPORTS TEAMS.

Instead of having, say, the Iowa Hawkeyes collegiate football team, you could have THE IOWA HAWKEYES FOOTBALL CLUB AT THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA. You would still have a CONNECTION, but it would look TOTALLY DIFFERENT on the ORG CHART.

And this kind of evolutions is not new to sports.

Manchester United started out as the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Depot club. Likewise, college football teams don't have to remain under the educational umbrella of the universities. The latter, via various Wall Street concocted ownership schemes, can simply OWN THE TEAMS, rendering the issue of paying players or not moot.

I wouldn't be suprised if some shrewd PRIVATE EQUITY FIRMS haven't already begun looking at this kind of structure. Any not-for-profit university can, in theory, set up a for-profit arm to own its sports teams. Looks more than monetizable to me.

FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Last edited:
Reactions: tkirish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT