ADVERTISEMENT

OT- FSU Burt Reynolds & ND

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
I thought you might like reading a few excerpts from a recent article written after the passing of Burt Reynolds. I met Bobby Bowden in 1996 and he talked affectionately of ND and Lou who was a very good friend.
Here ya go...…

Recruiting Battle

Bobby Bowden has a joke he likes to tell about his time with Reynolds that's at least partially based on a true story.

Back in the early days of Bowden's tenure at Florida State, it was still OK to bring boosters on a recruiting trip, so Bowden pitched Reynolds on a plan. There was a kid from Ohio that Bowden wanted to sign, the son in a single-parent home. So the pair flew up for a visit, with Bowden selling the kid on Florida State while Reynolds wooed the mom.

Bowden's punchline: "The kid ended up going to Notre Dame, and the mother came to Florida State."

ND Helps design FSU Uniforms

Bowden got a call in 1982 from Reynolds. He'd been watching a Cowboys game and loved how the star on their helmets looked.

"I don't like our uniforms," Reynolds told the coach.

"I don't either," Bowden said. "But we can't afford new ones."

That's all it took. Reynolds donated the money for a new set of uniforms on the condition he could help design them. So Bowden reached out to Notre Dame to find out where to get some gold pants, and Reynolds worked with a Hollywood designer to put together the jerseys. The helmets came emblazoned with a spear along the side. They were a hit.

Also remember when they were young Lou lived at the Bowden's house for a while.

Lou and his new bride stayed at the Bowdens for a couple of days in 1963 while on their honeymoon in Florida. Bobby was an assistant at the time at FSU. Two days is not "awhile".

I want to say a little something about about the great Burt Reynolds. He narrated an ABC prime time special called "The Wishbone Incident". The behind the scenes story of the 1971 Cotton Bowl game between ND and Texas. Irish won that game and ended the Longhorns 30 game win streak. The post game locker room scene with Darrell Royal talking to his team is one for the ages. As narrator, Burt was fantastic. I have this bad boy on reel to reel audio tape, recorded from the TV. If anyone can find it anywhere, I highly recommend you watch it. The air date of the show was 9-25-1971.

Bobby Bowden, say what you will always schedules unbelievably hard. The most underrated coach in CFB history in my humble opinion.

Reactions: zro pts4u
My uncle coached high school down in Florida for years and met with Bowden, Superior, Coker, and a bunch of other coaches who were usually recruiting. He always loved Bowden. Bowden would invite you over for dinner with his family and would show a recruit great hospitality and wouldn’t make a full blown sales pitch like most coaches would.

I want to say a little something about about the great Burt Reynolds. He narrated an ABC prime time special called "The Wishbone Incident". The behind the scenes story of the 1971 Cotton Bowl game between ND and Texas. Irish won that game and ended the Longhorns 30 game win streak. The post game locker room scene with Darrell Royal talking to his team is one for the ages. As narrator, Burt was fantastic. I have this bad boy on reel to reel audio tape, recorded from the TV. If anyone can find it anywhere, I highly recommend you watch it. The air date of the show was 9-25-1971.
Nice story Toby. How did Burt come across on the UT ND game? Was he neutral or leaning Irish or what?

Bobby Bowden, say what you will always schedules unbelievably hard. The most underrated coach in CFB history in my humble opinion.

Bowden was a little like Rockne in that regard. He'd play any team anywhere.

Nice story Toby. How did Burt come across on the UT ND game? Was he neutral or leaning Irish or what?
He was completely neutral. Did a very good job narrating the events leading up to the game, the game itself, then the post game along with interviews from anyone that was anyone connected to the game. Listening to Coach Royal talk to his team after their 30 game win streak ended was one of the great college football moments IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT