ADVERTISEMENT

OSU protest

perseverare

All Star
May 24, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/12/s...ded-oklahoma-state-central-michigan.html?_r=0

TOS, a poster asks if a completed game result had ever been overturned by an officiating error.
The one that I recall that comes closest is KC vs Yanks: George Brett/Billy Martin pine tar incident.

Under egregious error the hit on Holmes if it had been the final play may have qualified.

Officials are too often a factor in the outcome of games. They have 1 purpose to make things fair and that in doing so they are a non-factor.

It shows the priorities of the Big 12. The conference didn't bat an eye with a ND player sitting on the turf bleeding from his forehead. But when Central Michigan beats a conference member heads roll. The bottom line trumps player safety.
Exactly. Why were there no suspensions after the BIG 12 replay crew completely missed an obvious targeting hit that ended with a player getting a concussion? The explanation everyone received from the BIG 12 was that it was looked at and deemed a non penalty. Are they freaking serious? If that was not targeting then what is?

Exactly. Why were there no suspensions after the BIG 12 replay crew completely missed an obvious targeting hit that ended with a player getting a concussion? The explanation everyone received from the BIG 12 was that it was looked at and deemed a non penalty. Are they freaking serious? If that was not targeting then what is?

kelly should have challenged the catch and gone ballistic on the targeting. It was the perfect opportunity to be tossed. He gagged and swarbrick and jenkins have joined him. We're lucky Hunter wasn't paralyzed.....

Reactions: 88ND
osu is part to blame for this because there a team from a big boy power 5 conf playing a non power 5 school from the mac conf that they should have had a double digit lead on late in the game. do your job osu against a weaker mac school next time and this won't happen again

osu is part to blame for this because there a team from a big boy power 5 conf playing a non power 5 school from the mac conf that they should have had a double digit lead on late in the game. do your job osu against a weaker mac school next time and this won't happen again
Apparently you still think it's 2003 and back.

While conferences as a whole might be less competitive, the gap between the schools from a big boy conference and a conference like the mac has decreased dramatically.

Years ago you could have your worst day and still win by a few scores. Not so any longer. You have your worst day and that lower conf. team plays average ..the game is fairly close. If they play great and you had a so so game you will flirt with getting beat.

This stereo typing of these schools is ridiculous. Even if you are on your game and so are they...the game won't be a blowout.

Not today.

I have no empathy for any of them. I'm glad they lost because of the refs.

Agree, karma is a son of gun - those B12 replay officials screwed ND hard and now they just got screwed and the great thing is that they actually could of stopped that game and let the officials on the field know they were making a mistake. All the better. Great win for C. Mich,

There are no suspensions of the video crew, because they deemed it a non-targeting call (now the NCAA needs to be more consistent on that definition). However, the MAC crew who officiated the game on the field received a 2 week suspension.

Also -- why was not the head coach more vocal -- did he not know the rules (that the game should not have been extended)? He needs to be somewhat accountable as well.

There are no suspensions of the video crew, because they deemed it a non-targeting call (now the NCAA needs to be more consistent on that definition). However, the MAC crew who officiated the game on the field received a 2 week suspension.

Also -- why was not the head coach more vocal -- did he not know the rules (that the game should not have been extended)? He needs to be somewhat accountable as well.
Easy killer...
There are some rules hidden down in the rules. Anyone being in football for a long time would think the game can't end on a defensive penalty if not declined. The weird thing with this was OSU was on offense , 4th down ..throws an intentional grounding,
Which is automatic loss of down. Which means automatically CMU gets the ball in that situation.
And when you think of it like that I can understand how the officials messed it up too.
That play was so bizarre because the forfeiture of down on the play and being 4th down, then it's a penalty too I can see how they gave CMU one untimed down.

This was one of the most unique things I've ever seen.

just snap it to a punter who rins sround and pooches it out of bounds!
OSU: dumb dumb

Of course if you can't defend 1 play and a desparation throw at that then...look in the mirror for the real culprit.

The two situations are not comparable. If Kelly had made a fuss I think the booth would have overturned the non call on Texas. Result, first and goal from the one for ND and a possible ejection for the Texas player. That is not a guaranteed win for the Irish though. Your average game has maybe a dozen missed calls.

The refs in the oSu game didn't know the rule and didn't bother to have someone in the booth look it up. They guessed that a team shouldn't be able to benefit and run out the clock with an illegal play. The refs were flat out wrong (not in any way a judgement call) but it is a bad rule and should be amended.

kelly should have challenged the catch and gone ballistic on the targeting. It was the perfect opportunity to be tossed. He gagged and swarbrick and jenkins have joined him. We're lucky Hunter wasn't paralyzed.....
There was more than adequate time for the booth to review the replay over and over again, with Hunter laying on the field so long. An obviously erroneous challenge to the catch wasn't going to change anything.

There was more than adequate time for the booth to review the replay over and over again, with Hunter laying on the field so long. An obviously erroneous challenge to the catch wasn't going to change anything.

The only thing I can think the refs may have seen is the Texas defender went in appropriately low, and Hunter curled up in making the catch, bringing his head down. I would have thrown the flag but not all big hits are targeting.

The only thing I can think the refs may have seen is the Texas defender went in appropriately low, and Hunter curled up in making the catch, bringing his head down. I would have thrown the flag but not all big hits are targeting.
I was surprised it wasn't called targeting on the field. Since the rule was put in place, there seems to be a tendency to call the penalty on the field if it looks like it might be targeting, knowing it can be reversed if you got it wrong, or even if it's questionable. In real time to the naked eye, it looked like targeting to me.

Watch the back-to-back targeting calls against BYU in their game against Utah on Saturday night. Neither was anywhere close to being as egregious as the the hit on T. Hunter, Jr. The purpose of the rule is to protect the defenseless receiver. In this case, the Big 12 replay officials chose to protect their own rather than the ND player lying on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT