ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating at Stanford

The coaching staff didn't seem to catch it - if they did - they should be allowed to challenge the TD?

I thought this was interesting. The officials did ND no favors in this game.

http://www.ndinsider.com/irishstew/...cle_299b61a4-985b-11e5-a31f-9f3dd58970aa.html

if Brian Kelly doesn't take a timeout after a first down at the 2 yard line with 35 seconds to play ND wins the game. Period. His inability to manage a very manageable clock situation may have kept ND out of the cfb playoff, plain and simple. Every team in every game this season can point to officiating mistakes but your coach controlled your team's destiny and he flubbed it.

if Brian Kelly doesn't take a timeout after a first down at the 2 yard line with 35 seconds to play ND wins the game. Period. His inability to manage a very manageable clock situation may have kept ND out of the cfb playoff, plain and simple. Every team in every game this season can point to officiating mistakes but your coach controlled your team's destiny and he flubbed it.
that's hindsight. i have no problem with a coach calling a timeout in a crucial situation. i've been coaching a long time. you make sure your players are all on the same page. can't afford penalties or miscommunication. i can point to a dozen things during the course of the game that would have changed the outcome.

The coaching staff didn't seem to catch it - if they did - they should be allowed to challenge the TD?
I believe that targeting is the only reviewable penalty. And yes, he was clearly covered up and ineligible. My guess is the officials lost track of where he originally came from, but it was definitely an officiating error.

I can't fault him. Given our struggles in the red zone and in "power" situations he probably felt he needed to be sure we had everything right. The right personnel in the game, the right play called, etc.

I can't fault him. Given our struggles in the red zone and in "power" situations he probably felt he needed to be sure we had everything right. The right personnel in the game, the right play called, etc.
exactly.

Come on. Kelly left Stanford with 30 sec. you can't do any better than that. That loss fall clearly on the shoulders of the defense and the terrible scheme. After the facemask there is no way ND should have been playing prevent and giving away the middle of the field when Stanford still had (I believe) 2 TO left and only needing a FG.

This is pure Monday Morning BS. We needed a TD, all the things that can and do go wrong down by the goal line. He no doubt wanted to be sure everyone was on the same page with the play call. Following the kick off, we had 25 seconds to defend. We didn't get it done, so we lost

If he doesn't call timeout - so what - we score w/ 25 seconds left then instead of 30 seconds. They got into Field goal range in 2 plays w/ 15 seconds left than ran an extra running play - then kicked the winner.

Whether BK had called TO or not at the end there - would not have mattered. Either way would have had No bearing on the outcome.

Sorry, but think the Kelly blew it with the timeout rhetoric is really Nonsense. It was a smart timeout and led to a TD, period. i'm sure there was discussion about what to do if we didn't score, etc...to make sure we maximized our opportunities with the seconds that would have been left. I will take scoring and going up by one with thirty seconds left 100 out of 100 times. Our last drive was great time and game management, and we should have been able to defend our lead.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
Sorry, but think the Kelly blew it with the timeout rhetoric is really Nonsense. It was a smart timeout and led to a TD, period. i'm sure there was discussion about what to do if we didn't score, etc...to make sure we maximized our opportunities with the seconds that would have been left. I will take scoring and going up by one with thirty seconds left 100 out of 100 times. Our last drive was great time and game management, and we should have been able to defend our lead.
Totally spot on. If we can defend 25 seconds to win the game, we really don't deserve to be in the CFP

Come on. Kelly left Stanford with 30 sec. you can't do any better than that. That loss fall clearly on the shoulders of the defense and the terrible scheme. After the facemask there is no way ND should have been playing prevent and giving away the middle of the field when Stanford still had (I believe) 2 TO left and only needing a FG.

I can see blaming it on the defense (penalty was a KILLER) but I don't know why you think the long pass completion was due to a "terrible scheme". Stanford players made a great play and ND players did not. Not all losses are due to coaching screw ups.

Reactions: echowaker
I can see blaming it on the defense (penalty was a KILLER) but I don't know why you think the long pass completion was due to a "terrible scheme". Stanford players made a great play and ND players did not. Not all losses are due to coaching screw ups.

Because they were playing 10 yards off the receivers and bailing with outside leverage. ND was giving up yards in the center of the field to prevent Stanford from getting out of bounds. In the best cast scenario (for ND) Stanford would pick up 15 yards .. and that's if everything went perfect for ND. ND didn't play it perfect so instead of taking 2 plays to get 30 yards Stanford got it in 1 play.

With Stanford having 15 seconds, 2 TO and only needing a FG it was the wrong scheme.

I understand your point. But you are assuming all goes exactly correct. There was no guarantee they would score. I see no issue with the timeout. You want to make sure you score. There are of lot of things going on and making sure you get the right play called is key. Look at how many redzone trips ended without a score or ended with a turnover or field goal. The timeout was fine. When you kick the ball off with 30 seconds, the defense has to make a play. They did. One was a face mask penalty. The other was watching the Stanford reciever basically catch a 30 yard pass running free up the middle. They didn't lose because of poor clock management. They lost because the defense allowed Stanford to go right down the field. If you can't hold a lead for 30 seconds you don't deserve to win.

Nonsense. Nice punt formation against MSU.
Did Hardon/Harbaugh dial that one up?

Reactions: echowaker
This play is born of something Belicihick did v. Ravens that got Harbaugh steamed. He put an eligible receiver inside a lineman. Essentially it's a tackle-ineligible play

This play is born of something Belicihick did v. Ravens that got Harbaugh steamed. He put an eligible receiver inside a lineman. Essentially it's a tackle-ineligible play
The ref announce the Pats player as eligible before the play and the Ravens f***ed up the play and Harbaugh bitched about it after the game. He is a D bag like his brother. If it wasn't for Belichik he wouldn't have gotten the job. Raven owner called Belichik after interviewing Harbaugh and ended up hiring him. Karma is a bitch. Enjoy watching the playoffs at home John.

I'm a big fan of College Football I watch 10 games a week It is my opinion NO-BODY gets mote favorable call's than The Fighting Irish. This is not a slam! It's an observation that I share with fans across the country. Now go ahead and slam away.

I'm a big fan of College Football I watch 10 games a week It is my opinion NO-BODY gets mote favorable call's than The Fighting Irish. This is not a slam! It's an observation that I share with fans across the country. Now go ahead and slam away.

Cite examples

If you say so Beavis

Not into bitching about the officiating one way or the other, as my sense is things even out over the course of a season. That said, two of our three most critical loses in the last two seasons were Florida St and Stanford, and one would have to be blind or ignorant to argue that officiating didn't significantly hurt ND in each. JOR22 obviously came here hoping to stir up the fan base, and just earned an ignore distinction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT