ADVERTISEMENT

Observations on Kelly's Demeanor / Questions

dcwflyca

ND Expert
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2005
Reno / Tahoe, NV
I wanted to take a second to comment on Brian Kelly's demeanor. It is absolutely evident that he is approaching his job as a CEO now. Not only does he appear calm and collected, but he seems to be focused on preparation, empowering his leaders (both coaches and athletes), and trusting that this process will put them in their best position to win.

I bring this up as another poster here (who brought up a great point yesterday) illustrated Lou Holtz's ability to fire his team up for these big games. This poster's view (which I think carries merit) stated that as much as they love Kelly, they would love Lou for this game. As we all know, Lou has a unique ability to connect and get guys fired up.

So, this got me thinking about different approaches and the benefits / burdens of each. I wanted to throw the question out to Lou (@Lou Somogyi ), Bryan (@Bryan Driskell ), and any others who have experience and / or played in these types of games and their thoughts on the following:

1) Do you guys have a preferred style to get teams ready here or is it really dependent on the team / coach?
2) Have you seen the way these games are prepared for from a motivational standpoint change over the last 5 / 10 / 20+ years?

I will finish by saying this - I am a big believer in Coach Kelly and what he has done at Notre Dame. It is so fun to be a top ten team again and on that second tier of elite programs (after Bama and Clemson). I guess I am trying to get at the CEO approach and if it is what works (or can work) today for Notre Dame. It seems Saban leads that way. My bet is Dabo is a little less so, though don't know enough about his process to speak about it.

Would love any and all thoughts here and thanks! Go Irish!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News