ADVERTISEMENT

NIU head coach

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Very impressed. Class act. Interviewed by michael Wilbon and was extremely complementary of Marcus freeman. Says he will turn things around. Called freeman after the game and offered to help in any way Said freeman was a total gentleman.

All great to hear. I still am out of patience with freeman. 3 years. Losses to inferior opponents continue Its bad

The thing is... turn around from what? His own missteps and underachieving? ND may not have been able to take the last step under the previous staff, but the last 5 years the won all the games they were supposed to.

Reactions: 4-4-3
He called him and offered to help him? That’s incredible. Tremendous class. Maybe this happens more than we realize but that’s really cool. I’m not sure how that goes over as Freeman is the head coach of Notre Dame. Like…did Freeman actually accept help? It was probably more gameplanning stuff or just a general, polite offer. Maybe a bit of networking.

I liked how he went nuts on the player that bumped Greathouse on the punt return though that should have been called. The man was crying after the win and it was genuine. I respect that. Yet people will say Notre Dame is irrelevant.

What an all-time doozy of a loss. I still think Marshall was worse but this one hurts more. I think NIU is a good team that should probably finish better than their 7-6 2023 season. Maybe 10-4 or 11-3 or better?

A bit of hope: NIU beat 7-6 Boston College last year and then turned around and lost to Southern Illinois the next week. Then BC almost beat FSU but for 20 penalties. Crap happens and you lose sometimes.

Reactions: edub72
The thing is... turn around from what? His own missteps and underachieving? ND may not have been able to take the last step under the previous staff, but the last 5 years the won all the games they were supposed to.
Uh - ND do I’d not win all the games they were supposed to the last 2 years. That’s the point

We lost games we should not have. And freeman’s blunders vd Ohio state lost that game also

Reactions: HarlemIrish
He called him and offered to help him? That’s incredible. Tremendous class. Maybe this happens more than we realize but that’s really cool. I’m not sure how that goes over as Freeman is the head coach of Notre Dame. Like…did Freeman actually accept help? It was probably more gameplanning stuff or just a general, polite offer. Maybe a bit of networking.

I liked how he went nuts on the player that bumped Greathouse on the punt return though that should have been called. The man was crying after the win and it was genuine. I respect that. Yet people will say Notre Dame is irrelevant.

What an all-time doozy of a loss. I still think Marshall was worse but this one hurts more. I think NIU is a good team that should probably finish better than their 7-6 2023 season. Maybe 10-4 or 11-3 or better?

A bit of hope: NIU beat 7-6 Boston College last year and then turned around and lost to Southern Illinois the next week. Then BC almost beat FSU but for 20 penalties. Crap happens and you lose sometimes.
Yeah. He offered genuine help as in looking at film together and understanding schemes, etc. It was offered with best intentions not as a rub. The guy is all class. Said he is so grateful to ND for scheduling the game and that freeman treated him as an equal n was a great guy n wishes freeman a natty

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Yeah. He offered genuine help as in looking at film together and understanding schemes, etc. It was offered with best intentions not as a rub. The guy is all class. Said he is so grateful to ND for scheduling the game and that freeman treated him as an equal n was a great guy n wishes freeman a natty
That’s awesome. I’d hope Freeman would be able to figure a lot of this stuff out on his own but perhaps there’s some very technical pointers Hammock could give.

If our AD had any guts he would call him up and ask if he wants to coach at ND

Reactions: notredame79
Turn around from just that, beating the teams they should and getting embarassed by top 10 teams. BK should have been gone long before if the vision is to win national championships. Freeman was a high risk hire, 0 guarantees. I didn’t support the hire and thought Fickel should have been targeted. That being said, ND took a chance on a coach with 0 head coaching experience, bumps expected. The remainder of this season will tell if Freeman can corral the team. the verdict is still out.

Turn around from just that, beating the teams they should and getting embarassed by top 10 teams. BK should have been gone long before if the vision is to win national championships. Freeman was a high risk hire, 0 guarantees. I didn’t support the hire and thought Fickel should have been targeted. That being said, ND took a chance on a coach with 0 head coaching experience, bumps expected. The remainder of this season will tell if Freeman can corral the team. the verdict is still out.
If the goal is to win titles...or you're fired, then Ryan Day at Ohio St. should be fired, Lane Kiffin at Mississippi should be fired, Sark at Texas should be fired, Luke Fickell at Wisconsin should be fired, Lincoln Riley at USC should be fired, James Franklin at Penn St. should be fired, and many other head coaches.

Last edited:
If the goal is to only win titles...or you're fired, then Ryan Day at Ohio St. should be fired, Lane Kiffin at Mississippi should be fired, Sark at Texas should be fired, Luke Fickell at Wisconsin should be fired, Lincoln Riley at USC should be fired, James Franklin at Penn St. should be fired, and many other head coaches.
My original criticism is u finally lost confidence in freeman as a head coach because he loses to teams he should not. Natty is a pipe dream that will never happen based on losing to teams that are sub par

My original criticism is u finally lost confidence in freeman as a head coach because he loses to teams he should not. Natty is a pipe dream that will never happen based on losing to teams that are sub par
Then fire James Franklin, Lincoln Riley, and Sark at Texas as well.

What did those who supported Freeman’s hire think?

That he would simply waltz in and outperform a guy who by that time had 10 double digit win seasons, 113 wins at ND, 3 undefeated regular seasons (two at ND, one at Cincinnati), and in his final 5 seasons at ND, double digit wins in each of them while winning at an 85.7% clip and appearing in two playoff games?

VERSUS WHAT FREEMAN HAD ACCOMPLISHED?

And just because he was a NICER GUY than Kelly and someone with whom recruits “identified?”

This was the guy who was going to take ND to the PROMISED LAND? And because Jack Swarbrick had some kind of “VISION?”

Whatever CRACK that was people were smoking, MAY I PLEASE HAVE A HIT?

Last edited:
Very impressed. Class act. Interviewed by michael Wilbon and was extremely complementary of Marcus freeman. Says he will turn things around. Called freeman after the game and offered to help in any way Said freeman was a total gentleman.

All great to hear. I still am out of patience with freeman. 3 years. Losses to inferior opponents continue Its bad
Wow. NIU coach will help Freeman? Sums it up

Kinda embarrassing actually.
It’s not. He calls Freeman to talk or whatever. He offers to help Freeman in any way just like Freeman might do. Freeman says, “hey, about that play on…” Hammock says, “yeah so the way we teach it is…”

Now the fact that it’s happening after loss, yes, that’s kind of embarrassing.

It’s not. He calls Freeman to talk or whatever. He offers to help Freeman in any way just like Freeman might do. Freeman says, “hey, about that play on…” Hammock says, “yeah so the way we teach it is…”

Now the fact that it’s happening after loss, yes, that’s kind of embarrassing.
ND supposed to be one of the preeminent programs? I can’t even fathom Lou Holtz losing @ Home to a 28/29 point dog then being told by the opposing coach they can help. Also giving a pep talk. Another tell tale sign of ND Football 2024

Freeman needing help from NIU coach, or NIU coaching feeling like he can help Freeman says EVERYTHING

Can this clown

Yeah you know on that second pick? We teach our QB's in that situation, Don't throw a duck.

You can throw it into the end zone, into the stands, heck, just sit on the ball. Fall down back there. Just, don't throw a duck.

Yeah you know on that second pick? We teach our QB's in that situation, Don't throw a duck.

You can throw it into the end zone, into the stands, heck, just sit on the ball. Fall down back there. Just, don't throw a duck.
Yep..... never ever ever throw a deep pass short over the middle.

Help could be telling Freeman what they saw about his team that led to the gameplan they developed. In regards to tells and strengths/weaknesses.

Reactions: FightingIrish44

Was being a “total gentleman” part of the job description when he was hired ?

I would’ve thought being a great coach and field general would have been a prerequisite

What did those who supported Freeman’s hire think?

That he would simply waltz in and outperform a guy who by that time had 10 double digit win seasons, 113 wins at ND, 3 undefeated regular seasons, and in his final 5 seasons at ND, double digit wins in each of them while winning at an 85.7% clip and appearing in two playoff games?

VERSUS WHAT FREEMAN HAD ACCOMPLISHED?

And just because he was a NICER GUY than Kelly who recruits “identified” with?

This was the guy who was going to take ND to the PROMISED LAND? And because Jack Swarbrick had some kind of “VISION?”

Whatever CRACK those people were smoking, MAY I PLEASE HAVE A HIT?

You are 100% correct

Reactions: 4-4-3
Help could be telling Freeman what they saw about his team that led to the gameplan they developed. In regards to tells and strengths/weaknesses.
“The last 9 games of film on Leonard showed a qb that can’t throw accurately and makes poor decisions” … your defense has terrible SDEs and if you pull at them they can’t hold up. Also, your lbs struggled vs A&M in coverage”

ND supposed to be one of the preeminent programs? I can’t even fathom Lou Holtz losing @ Home to a 28/29 point dog then being told by the opposing coach they can help. Also giving a pep talk. Another tell tale sign of ND Football 2024
Tell that to Mike Elko.

The post game interview with the guy, when he was in tears on the field.. I don't care who you are, but its hard not to like a guy like that. It stings we lost to them and all that, but I'd rather lose to a coach like him than a Dabo Sweeney type guy.

The post game interview with the guy, when he was in tears on the field.. I don't care who you are, but its hard not to like a guy like that. It stings we lost to them and all that, but I'd rather lose to a coach like him than a Dabo Sweeney type guy.
I would take Dabo Swinney in a heartbeat. In fact...if Clemson doesn't want him....we should hire him next season. He has another title run in his system; and it will take a coach of that calibur to get ND back into the playoffs. Freeman is in over his head; that is clear as day.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Then fire James Franklin, Lincoln Riley, and Sark at Texas as well.
You show me where the coaches you cited lost to inferior opponents NIU is widely considered the worst or close to biggest upset in the modern era. Appalachian state does not compare. Ya know, if you are gonna contribute to board discussion, at least make sense. Don’t sugar coat this crap. Freeman is now in a class of his own.

If you can’t show us how sark, Franklin n Riley lost to a comparable opponent then you certainly won’t be able to show us how they lost 3-4 times like freeman has

Was being a “total gentleman” part of the job description when he was hired ?

I would’ve thought being a great coach and field general would have been a prerequisite
Stop with the inane and totally bs comment. I’m in no mood.

My post covers what the niu coach said about freeman. NOT what the criteria is for a winning head coach. So focus and stop posting contrarian crap just to show you have a gerbil up your ass

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT