ADVERTISEMENT

NIU head coach (former NFL RB coach) advising Marcus Freeman after ND loss

I don’t think this is so bad. I haven’t watched the interview to see exactly how it went down, but if Hammock wants to help Freeman, maybe he should have left out the part about helping Freeman and just left it at ‘we talked after the game and bounced ideas off of each other (because that’s probably what happened) and I’m confident that he’s got ND going in the right direction. He’s going to do big things.’ I think Hammock should know how his comments are going to be perceived. Again, I didn’t see the interview and maybe he did word it in a way that’s understandable. I mean, I understand it anyway, but maybe that’s not a good look for ND.

Reactions: tbonesays
That’s a clear sign of ineptness.

How can you like a move that indicates that the coach doesn’t know why or how he lost ?
You’d really hope that Freeman and the staff can figure this out for themselves, but Hammock might have given them the details/thought process for why or how they did specific things/calls.

Edit: I’d bet Hammock had questions for Freeman and Freeman helper Hammock too. It’s not simply master/protégé.

One massive concern I have is the analyst hanging by Freeman. First, put that guy on a headset so you don’t look incompetent regardless of the value of the analyst. You’re wasting time and energy by looking around for him too.

Second, Freeman did not need him to help on the penalty acceptance prior to the end of the 3rd quarter. What does this data analyst actually know about football besides the math of the game and probabilities? Instinctively, he should have known to accept that penalty for several reasons. What does this analyst know about how ND is performing against NIU in this particular game? You’re going to leave this up to a data analyst? That is a MASSIVE red flag and just not a good look. Have him put a headset on.

That’s a clear sign of ineptness.

How can you like a move that indicates that the coach doesn’t know why or how he lost ?
We hired MF based on potential (at least thats what i hope was the rationale behind the hire)

I don't mind our coach being humble enough to admit he doesn't know shIt and is a sponge for info/tips/advice/advantage.

Reactions: tbonesays
Takes a lot of humility when you are the head coach at one of the most prominent college football teams in america to ask for help. I like the move.

Cmon Chase. Stop intentionally being an asshole 24-7.

"Ask for help"? Have you ever been inside of a college athletics program? These coaches all talk. Frequently. These guys are all connected. This isn't anything new.

Hammock seems like a good guy. Freeman is a good guy. Nothing wrong with these guys having a relationship. ND will likely never play NIU again.

There's a fine line between being open minded and stubborn. Or closed minded and indecisive. I don't care what profession you're in. You do need to be open to feedback, but you also need to assert yourself and go for what you believe is the best move. With that said, Freeman talking to NIU can be seen both ways; he's open to feedback and looking for ways to improve. Or he's unsure of himself and doesn't know what to do going forward. Hoping it's the former.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT