ADVERTISEMENT

ND - Miami game thread ...

Okay, blocker touches a punt for a fumble, fail to cover an onside kick for a turnover, get a punt blocked and now try to catch a punt after it bounces and give up a touchdown.

I politely ask once again, how can this guy not be fired?

How dumb can our special teams players be. Unbelievable.

Whose their coach?

Okay, blocker touches a punt for a fumble, fail to cover an onside kick for a turnover, get a punt blocked and now try to catch a punt after it bounces and give up a touchdown.

How could you blame Kelly for that? Assinine.

Muff a punt into the end zone for what will be the losing TD after being up 20-0. You can't make this stuff up.

this is on Weis! if he could had been as good as he said he was, ND would be 8-0 towards the 12th consecutive NC! damn him!

Nepotism?

We win! :)

Ugly win, but a win.

How in hell did we not punch it in from being 1st and goal on the 1?

Ugly win, but a win.

Because Kelly goes empty backfield at the half yard line, we get a 5 yr penalty and then Kelly decided to run. He's a genius. He had the Miami coaches so confused they looked like Johnny from the Cobra-Kai Dojo when Daniel Laruso did the crane.

How could you blame Kelly for that? Assinine.

Because his teams consistently suck at one part of the game year after year.

And while I'm happy ND came through and won, it is downright painful to watch this team.

but I am expecting several Bama decommitments to flip to ND! any minute now! This latest winning streak cannot go unnoticed nor ignored!

Ugly win, but a win.

Because ND has a culture that produces Beta Cucks who can not express true Manly Aggression.

Last edited:
So a blocker touches a punt for one turnover, we fail to cover an onside kick, and now we get a punt blocked. Can anyone tell me why we shouldn't fire the entire coaching staff and start over?
This is so uninformed. Fire the coaching staff because the punt returner didn't do his job right telling pride to clear out... Or because of a successful onside kick... Or a punt returner fielding a kick off the bounce inside the 10 in traffic? Kelly deserves some criticism this season but holy crap people these are player errors. Players have responsibilities on these plays. Blaming the coaches for these is just piling on. Just ridiculous.

Reggie Brooks, a former punt returner himself, said during the post game radio show that the returner needs to plant his feet at or around the 8, 9, or 10 yard line, wherever the staff decides and the returner needs to back up no further. Here's the rub. Reggie went on to say that this has to be reinforced to the returner constantly in practice and in game situations. Every punt return. Every time. Reminder. Reinforced so it becomes second nature. Bet CJ doesn't do that again. Then, Reggie tells a story of Ricky Watters returning a punt 98 yards for a TD (I was at that game. It was a thing of beauty) and Lou chewing out Ricky on the sidelines for even catching the ball inside the ten. Marc Edwards then chimed in that CJ needs to be more vocal in his commands to his blockers to get away from the ball because it is very loud on the field. He also attributed that play to a short punt and dumb bad luck. This all will get fixed in a hurry.

This is so uninformed. Fire the coaching staff because the punt returner didn't do his job right telling pride to clear out... Or because of a successful onside kick... Or a punt returner fielding a kick off the bounce inside the 10 in traffic? Kelly deserves some criticism this season but holy crap people these are player errors. Players have responsibilities on these plays. Blaming the coaches for these is just piling on. Just ridiculous.

Bad coaching leads to bad playing. The unwillingness to fire Van Gorder, the nonsensical insistence on passing down field in hurricane conditions, and now the complete and utter breakdown in special team play tells me all I need to know about Brian Kelly. He's average at best.

Reggie Brooks, a former punt returner himself, said during the post game radio show that the returner needs to plant his feet at or around the 8, 9, or 10 yard line, wherever the staff decides and the returner needs to back up no further. Here's the rub. Reggie went on to say that this has to be reinforced to the returner constantly in practice and in game situations. Every punt return. Every time. Reminder. Reinforced so it becomes second nature. Bet CJ doesn't do that again. Then, Reggie tells a story of Ricky Watters returning a punt 98 yards for a TD (I was at that game. It was a thing of beauty) and Lou chewing out Ricky on the sidelines for even catching the ball inside the ten. Marc Edwards then chimed in that CJ needs to be more vocal in his commands to his blockers to get away from the ball because it is very loud on the field. He also attributed that play to a short punt and dumb bad luck. This all will get fixed in a hurry.

Hope so. But it has happened to us in the past THIS YEAR. Why hasn't it been fixed yet?

Also, our stupid punt formation. We lost the NC State game on a blocked punt and had another punt partially blocked by Miami.

You say coaching.
I'll say Execution.

I'm sure they work on it in practice. They are just not executing the way they should.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT