ADVERTISEMENT

Nd depth chart

jcswoopnh

ND Expert
Sep 7, 2017
The chart has been released. IMHO, there are a few surprises. On offense, it seems like a lot of the speed/explosive players lost position battles..... Lenzy, Keys, Tremble and Johnson On defense, Pryor did not make the 2deep. Crawford will be starting at SS
, beating out Houston Griffith. I also thought JGH would be heard from. I believe only 1 true freshman made the 2 deep...CB Clarence Lewis who Kelly compares to Kei'Varae.

The chart has been released. IMHO, there are a few surprises. On offense, it seems like a lot of the speed/explosive players lost position battles..... Lenzy, Keys, Tremble and Johnson On defense, Pryor did not make the 2deep. Crawford will be starting at SS
, beating out Houston Griffith. I also thought JGH would be heard from. I believe only 1 true freshman made the 2 deep...CB Clarence Lewis who Kelly compares to Kei'Varae.
Lots of reps to go around at the receiver spots. Many guys will see the field.

Reactions: iwish
How do we examine and scrutinize this depth chart at our leisure? It doesn't appear this website any longer hosts a depth chart screen for us to click onto. Is that wrong, am I just missing it?

Okay, IRISH MAVEN... has a depth chart to peruse.

So let's talk depth chart!

Okay, so the RB position is... something. Is Tryee that good, which he easily could be, as he is indeed an elite, top recruit, or is the rest of our RB crew that pedestrian? It's a rorscharch test! Or perhaps BK has decided to go with a so-called youth movement at the position. Or has it been distorted on account of coronavirus availability? Don't know. But right now it's Kyren and Tyree. Not too shabby IMO if Tyree is ready for 8 to 10 carries a game or something like that as the #2 rotational guy.

And at WR, must say did not see that coming. Stoked that Javon is getting the nod, hopefully he delivers. And to a certain degree not completely surprised that Avery Davis is getting the start. I've always liked Davis as an athlete and supposedly he's super fast. And Lenzy has always seemed like a project to me. And Keys as good but not great. BS from NW is not a huge shock winning a job, as he is a proven veteran from a generally similar scheme.

And Brock Wright starting at TE - awesome! Hope he does great. Another senior taking the bull by the horns.

OL as expected.

On defense, no surprises on the DL, and Shayne Simon has gotten the nod at LB, which sounds fine. Once again a more heralded younger player beating out at least nominally lesser but more veteran players, so hopefully he's awesome, and the creme is rising to the top.

Shawn Crawford, known for his many injuries as well as his perseverance, at SS sounds great. Probably won the job because he's such a warrior, and such a positive force on the field, in addition to being a good player, that they had to get him a starting spot somewhere. So that is great IMO, and is very much a positive development.

And whoever Nick McCloud is, he has nicely taken advantage of our lack of veteran quality at the CB position, and hopefully he will be a decent starter. I was hoping Cam Hart would become another Richard Sherman for us, but at least he's second string.

How do we examine and scrutinize this depth chart at our leisure? It doesn't appear this website any longer hosts a depth chart screen for us to click onto. Is that wrong, am I just missing it?
[/QUOT
Okay, IRISH MAVEN... has a depth chart to peruse.

So let's talk depth chart!

Okay, so the RB position is... something. Is Tryee that good, which he easily could be, as he is indeed an elite, top recruit, or is the rest of our RB crew that pedestrian? It's a rorscharch test! Or perhaps BK has decided to go with a so-called youth movement at the position. Or has it been distorted on account of coronavirus availability? Don't know. But right now it's Kyren and Tyree. Not too shabby IMO if Tyree is ready for 8 to 10 carries a game or something like that as the #2 rotational guy.

And at WR, must say did not see that coming. Stoked that Javon is getting the nod, hopefully he delivers. And to a certain degree not completely surprised that Avery Davis is getting the start. I've always liked Davis as an athlete and supposedly he's super fast. And Lenzy has always seemed like a project to me. And Keys as good but not great. BS from NW is not a huge shock winning a job, as he is a proven veteran from a generally similar scheme.

And Brock Wright starting at TE - awesome! Hope he does great. Another senior taking the bull by the horns.

OL as expected.

On defense, no surprises on the DL, and Shayne Simon has gotten the nod at LB, which sounds fine. Once again a more heralded younger player beating out at least nominally lesser but more veteran players, so hopefully he's awesome, and the creme is rising to the top.

Shawn Crawford, known for his many injuries as well as his perseverance, at SS sounds great. Probably won the job because he's such a warrior, and such a positive force on the field, in addition to being a good player, that they had to get him a starting spot somewhere. So that is great IMO, and is very much a positive development.

And whoever Nick McCloud is, he has nicely taken advantage of our lack of veteran quality at the CB position, and hopefully he will be a decent starter. I was hoping Cam Hart would become another Richard Sherman for us, but at least he's second string.
I think McCloud is a grad transfer from NC State? I think Tyree is the real deal but not an every down back. I wonder about Lamb, Kiser, and Bertrand? Still surprised Pryor is down the depth chart.

Last edited:
I think McCloud is a grad transfer from NC State? I think Three is the real deal but not an every down back. I wonder about Lamb, Kiser, and Bertrand? Still surprised Pryor is down the depth chart.

Right, McCloud is from NC State, he was a fairly ho-hum three-star recruit as far as that part of his pedigree goes, and he was a starter at NC ST, I believe a two year starter. Which is great, no wonder he won the job. And he's tall. But that's all I know.

In fact on paper he looks like the ideal grad transfer. A proven college player at the P5 level, and he slots right into a position of genuine need.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
My takes:

disappointed that Pryor or HG couldn’t grab the starting safety spot. We brought in Pryor as a grad transfer which means we signed one less player in the 2020 class. If he can’t crack the depth chart then that is a loss. Was also expecting HG to start and keep Crawford at nickel where he excels.

Is it possible that JOK is so good in coverage that we can keep our base defense out there against 3 receiver sets? Or will Crawford drop to nickel in 3 receiver sets?

Defensive line looks very deep.

I think we all believe that Bracy is a good but not great corner. It’s a really good sign to see a freshman competing with him for playing time this early.

I don’t think any of us know what to make out of our receivers. Hopefully a go to receiver can emerge before Austin gets healthy.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
I've said it 1000 times. These paper depth charts don't mean anything. Functional depth charts are all that matter.

For example, ND is not starting Avery Davis over Tommy Tremble. They will be multiple, play a ton of 12 personnel and that means both Tremble and Wright will be on the field together. The 11 personnel look will come into play, but this is not a slight at Tremble. Wright will play the conventional TE position, while Tremble will be all over the field.

Functional depth chart of those that will play considerable snaps, situationally.

QB: Ian Book
RB: Karen Williams
RB: Chris Tyree
RB: Jafar Armstrong (when back)
RB: Osita Eckwonu (goal line)
WR: Javon Mckinley
WR: Ben Skowronek
WR: Braden Lenzy
WR: Kevin Austin (when healthy)
Slot: Avery Davis
Slot: Lawrence Keys
OL: Liam Eichenberg
OL: Aaron Banks
OL: Jarrett Patterson
OL: Tommy Kraemer
OL: Robert Hainsey
OL: Josh Lugg (6th man)
OL: Zeke Correll (backup center)

Vyper: Daelin Hayes
Vyper: Ovie Oghoufo
Vyper: Isaiah Foskey
SDE: Ade Ogundeji
SDE: Justin Ademilola
NG: Kurt Hinish
NT: Jacob Lacey
DT: MTA
DT: Jayson Ademilola
Rover: JOK
Rover: Paul Moala
Mike: Drew White
Mike: Bo Bauer
Buck: Marist Liufau
Buck: Jordan Genmark-Heath
Buck: Shayne Simon
CB: Nick McCloud
CB: Tariq Bracy
CB: Clarence Lewis
CB: Cam Hart
CB: Isaiah Rutherford
FS: Kyle Hamilton
FS / SS : Houston Griffith
SS: Shaun Crawford

Those are the offensive and defensive starters / key backups that will play significant snaps in meaningful situations, whether through necessity, role, depth building, or injury replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
I've said it 1000 times. These paper depth charts don't mean anything. Funcrional depth charts are all that matter.

For example, ND is not starting Avery Davis over Tommy Tremble. They will be multiple, play a ton of 12 personnel and that means both Tremble and Wright will be on the field together. The 11 personnel look will come into play, but this is not a slight at Tremble. Wright will play the conventional TE position, while Tremble will be all over the field.

Functional depth chart of those that will play considerable snaps, situationally.

Those are the offensive and defensive starters / key backups that will play significant snaps in meaningful situations, whether through necessity, role, depth building, or injury replacement.
Take Heath out. Add Lamb.
Add Mayer at TE

I know it's just a depth chart. BUt wow our STarting WRs and Brock wright at TE is about as explosive as northwestern. Really really need austin back and lenzy and keys to develop and earn more time than those above them.

I know it's just a depth chart. BUt wow our STarting WRs and Brock wright at TE is about as explosive as northwestern. Really really need austin back and lenzy and keys to develop and earn more time than those above them.

They are good blockers for an expanded running game ??

Reactions: Kelso86
The WRs starting seem to be the best blockers, not the guys that stretch the field. Rees said we were going to be a run first offense.

The WRs starting seem to be the best blockers, not the guys that stretch the field. Rees said we were going to be a run first offense.
Besides the fact the depth chart has likely been altered due to people missing practice time (likely due to COVID), the other common denominator appears to be that BK listed the more senior players over the less experienced players in situations where the players are essentially tied. So you have Hinish listed ahead of Lacey, Wright listed ahead of Tremble, McKinley listed ahead of Lenzy, Davis listed ahead of Keys, and even Simon listed ahead of Liufau even though they are definitely tied ("OR" on the depth chart means a tie). All of those players will be situationally rotated in and out, so I think BK and staff intended to list the senior players first.

Reactions: Golson5
I've said it 1000 times. These paper depth charts don't mean anything. Functional depth charts are all that matter.

"Buck: Jordan Genmark-Heath "

What is the impact now that he has decided to not play (not sure why he decided to not play this year - article of the home page did not elaborate)?

"Buck: Jordan Genmark-Heath "

What is the impact now that he has decided to not play (not sure why he decided to not play this year - article of the home page did not elaborate)?

It appears that he had gotten beat out by Simon and Liufau and decided to transfer elsewhere for his remaining two years of eligibility.

Best of luck to the young man!

I'm all about having a great run game, but you need to be explosive downfield and have the threat with the ability to take short passes to the house. Our depth chart hopefully is part fiction as the starters on offense are not explosive at the WR positions.

It appears that he had gotten beat out by Simon and Liufau and decided to transfer elsewhere for his remaining two years of eligibility.

Best of luck to the young man!
IIO- sounds like the staff loves Liufau. What are your thoughts? What is his ceiling?

better with faster guys on the outside in my opinion. forces the defense to respect the deep ball. Otherwise, teams are loading the box.
This...

Less people in the box equals more consistent running lanes, also opens up more room for screen game and throws to TEs.

better with faster guys on the outside in my opinion. forces the defense to respect the deep ball. Otherwise, teams are loading the box.
Agreed that our outside speed has greatly limited our run game. Think back to 2017 playing against Georgia, and Miami. Our O line was plenty good enough to run on those teams but they didnt respect our vertical passing game at all.

So here are my comments:
Avery Davis is very fast so that is good.
We will play with a lot of two tight end formations and I believe that Tremble being able to split out into the slot and stretch the field should help us.
Chris Tyree is incredibly fast and I think he will help us against the likes of Clemson. If we are to compete against them, he has to be a factor.
Clemson is really the only defense I fear this year. If we have a fully healthy Austin by then, then that will be a huge help.
We have done well with big bodied outside receivers in the past.

Agreed that our outside speed has greatly limited our run game. Think back to 2017 playing against Georgia, and Miami. Our O line was plenty good enough to run on those teams but they didnt respect our vertical passing game at all.

So here are my comments:
We will play with a lot of two tight end formations and I believe that Tremble being able to split out into the slot and stretch the field should help us.
Chris Tyree is incredibly fast and I think he will help us against the likes of Clemson. If we are to compete against them, he has to be a factor.
Clemson is really the only defense I fear this year. If we have a fully healthy Austin by then, then that will be a huge help.
Great post. Spot on.

So here are my comments:
Agree other than I haven’t seen this great speed or athlete in Avery Davis... he had one good run vs New Mexico I think where no one was near him until the NM safety almost ran him down, and Davis had a full speed head start on him. My point is Davis is average power 5 wr speed. He’s not stretching the field or scaring anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT