ADVERTISEMENT

My .02 on how beating UGA would impact recruiting

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Just was getting a run in on the treadmill and was listening to Bryan and Lou's Georgia preview podcast. They discussed what a mean against the Bulldogs would mean for the program in a big picture sense, and Bryan dived into recruiting.

I think he really nailed it. If you didn't listen to it, it was around the :25 mark: https://notredame.forums.rivals.com/threads/podcast-notre-dame-vs-georgia-preview.144130/

In my opinion, a win over Georgia this weekend isn't going to flip any recruits. It's not going to all of the sudden make a bunch of five-stars want to commit to Notre Dame. But it would put the nation on notice, and make the perception of Notre Dame different in the eyes of recruits and their families.

Beating Georgia wouldn't be more important to a kid than Notre Dame's academics or their relationship with the ND staff. On the same token, a loss to Georgia (even a blowout) won't have some monumental affect on recruiting. Memories are short and the season is long.

There's not going to be a recruit who picks Notre Dame and say that the Georgia game was why they picked ND, and a kid won't not pick Notre Dame because they lost to Georgia.

But again, I think it could shift the perception of how kids view Notre Dame, which could have a positive affect on the 2021 and 2022 classes. Looking at Notre Dame as a tier 2 team rather than a tier 3 team could open the door for the Irish to new prospects.

I wouldn't expect a kid like Justin Robinson, who is committed to Georgia but still considering Notre Dame, to all of the sudden want to play safety now for Notre Dame rather than wide receiver for Georgia because of a Notre Dame win.

Beating UGA would have more of a long term, positive affect, assuming that Notre Dame would finish the 2019 season strong after beating the Dawgs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News