ADVERTISEMENT

Max gone......others suspended...so far

No surprise MR is gone. He never showed leadership on the field and, now, off the field.

This was an obvious decision. The others are going to be left up to the school. The interesting thing is that how does the school know who was actually smoking ? The cop didn't see them smoking. He smelled it. What if only one guy smoked ? Ik Pers you are going to say " don't be naïve" . But I have many friends that smoked weed and I did not . So it is very possible . If I am in that car and if I did not smoke I would have asked to be drug tested right there on the spot . I would like to hear what BK has to say about his internal investigation.

If Butler assaulted a PO as is being reported, being suspended from the team or dismissed from the University could be the least of his problems. He could face jail time.

This was an obvious decision. The others are going to be left up to the school. The interesting thing is that how does the school know who was actually smoking ? The cop didn't see them smoking. He smelled it. What if only one guy smoked ? Ik Pers you are going to say " don't be naïve" . But I have many friends that smoked weed and I did not . So it is very possible . If I am in that car and if I did not smoke I would have asked to be drug tested right there on the spot . I would like to hear what BK has to say about his internal investigation.
Agreed....I love to drink but never once tried illegal drugs while friends of mine smoked or dropped Acid....some people do make different choices.

If Butler assaulted a PO as is being reported, being suspended from the team or dismissed from the University could be the least of his problems. He could face jail time.
This one might end up a little different. If the story that is reported so far there is on reason they can't charge him yet and then add more charges later. I'm wondering if there might be some video of it going down different or it's just been exaggerated some. I don't doubt he probably acted like an idiot, but he pulled off the guys service belt and struck him in the side? That shouldn't require more time to charge him with battery.

My take on the six:
Max--I sincerely wish him well, he has my compassion, and hope he gets his degree. He seems like more of a knucklehead then a bad guy. But, at this point, it may be addition by subtraction.
Butler--really makes me sad. The reason he has not been charged (IMHO) is that he was very apologetic, owned up, and the cops simply don't want to ruin his life. If so, good on them. I think they are trying to cut him a relative break--and he will miss the year.
White--He was the driver (and assuming it was Max's gun) 4 games.
The others (assuming it was Max's gun) 2 games.
Add 3 games to whoever says it was his weed.
This may not hurt the team too much this year. But, the lives of two kids who sweat and bled for our team, and who sang our alma mater, are hugely effected. It's just very sad, and I hope they bounce back.

This one might end up a little different. If the story that is reported so far there is on reason they can't charge him yet and then add more charges later. I'm wondering if there might be some video of it going down different or it's just been exaggerated some. I don't doubt he probably acted like an idiot, but he pulled off the guys service belt and struck him in the side? That shouldn't require more time to charge him with battery.

Low morale among police officers, a public strongly divided in their reactions to any clash between officers and citizens, citizens that are a little more edgy toward officers. In this instance a guy gets tazed, but isn't arrested for crime independent from his interaction with the police. That's politically complicated.

Add to that the fact the the officer involved this incident was recently sued in US District Court for excessive force by a 55 year old guy and his 76 year old mother, and the citizen involved in this incident is a football player at ND. So the matter will not only get local attention, but national attention as well. The prosecutor needs to let police know he's willing to keep them safe. On the other hand, the officer involved was already the center of controversy and public attention in 2014, and public groups will take an interest in what the prosecutor does.

Prosecutor's got his hand full. It happened on a Friday night. So yeah, I'd want a few days to mull over whether I'm charging this as a misdemeanor or felony, or even at all I suppose. At the very least, the prosecutor's office needs to create the impression that its carefully review everything before it takes any action.

Reactions: theskibro
I feel sad for the kids; not for what the consequences of what they did, but because the failed to recognize and then squandered an incredibly great opportunity that very very few get.
That is what booze and drugs do to a mind...impair it.

I will give the benefit of the doubt to the cop all the time, every time, until something has been proven otherwise.

Reactions: LH24ND
1 guy thrown out 1 suspended "indefinitely" and 4 to face "internal" discipline. Is it just me or does this seem as light a set of punishments conceivable? The guy wrestling with a cop got tossed, how could ND do otherwise? One of the guys in the car with the unregistered gun(s) and weed gets an "indefinite" suspension whatever that means. Does he go to school but not practice? Is he still on the squad but not allowed to participate? Does he get to resume his position on the team when things cool down in a month? Driving around with an unregistered gun and illegal drugs and he gets sent to the "indefinite" suspension doghouse? Really? And what about the 4 guys getting "internal" discipline. Do they climb stairs for an afternoon and call it a lesson learned?

My school as had it problems with guys screwing up too. Every program has them. The dismissal for the guy fighting with the cop was right. The 5 guys in the car with the weed and gun(s) were treated too leniently in my view. I'm not sure ND sent them the right message about responsibility. Kicking the owner(s) of gun(s) out of school for a year and suspending the rest from the team for a year would have been more appropriate.

MSU kicked a player out of school for a year for a gun incident. He was later readmitted, paid a semester himself and after a successful semester was allowed to rejoin the team. His gun was legal but he flashed it when involved in a shouting match with another motorist. He didn't point it at the other guy but held it up to the driver who was shouting at him would know he had a gun. Legally that is called brandishing a gun. Stupid mistake and MSU held him to account.

I'm a friendly fan of one of you opponents and have watched discipline issues play out for decades and some of the kids that get off easy straighten up but many others go on to evened dumber and more dangerous acts so I think BK and the administration should have been more stern this time. I think being harder on them would have done them a favor. That said, I I hope the course of action chosen results in better behavior and choices going forward. See you in a few weeks!

Last edited:
^ and now ^ a comment that is galactically stupidly biased

all fact are not in
police reports are yet to be written
discussions yet to take place or discipline decisions made

and we have the above! what concerns me is that poster probably is allowed to do things like drive a car, handle sharp objects and maybe drive a car!

Last edited:
1 guy thrown out 1 suspended "indefinitely" and 4 to face "internal" discipline. Is it just me or does this seem as light a set of punishments conceivable? The guy wrestling with a cop got tossed, how could ND do otherwise? One of the guys in the car with the unregistered gun(s) and weed gets an "indefinite" suspension whatever that means. Does he go to school but not practice? Is he still on the squad but not allowed to participate? Does he get to resume his position on the team when things cool down in a month? Driving around with an unregistered gun and illegal drugs and he gets sent to the "indefinite" suspension doghouse? Really? And what about the 4 guys getting "internal" discipline. Do they climb stairs for an afternoon and call it a lesson learned?

My school as had it problems with guys screwing up too. Every program has them. The dismissal for the guy fighting with the cop was right. The 5 guys in the car with the weed and gun(s) were treated too leniently in my view. I'm not sure ND sent them the right message about responsibility. Kicking the owner(s) of gun(s) out of school for a year and suspending the rest from the team for a year would have been more appropriate.

MSU kicked a player out of school for a year for a gun incident. He was later readmitted, payed a semester himself and after a successful semester was allowed to rejoin the team. His gun was legal but he flashed it when involved in a shouting match with another motorist. He didn't point it at the other guy but held it up to the driver who was shouting at him would know he had a gun. Legally that is called brandishing a gun. Stupid mistake and MSU held him to account.

I'm a friendly fan of one of you opponents and have watched discipline issues play out for decades and some of the kids that get off easy straighten up but many others go on to evened dumber and more dangerous acts so I think BK and the administration should have been more stern this time. I think being harder on them would have done them a favor. That said, I I hope the course of action chosen results in better behavior and choices going forward. See you in a few weeks!
Dude, STFU! No one here cares to hear your drivel. Not one of those players will be back for the MSU game.

My take on the six:
Max--I sincerely wish him well, he has my compassion, and hope he gets his degree. He seems like more of a knucklehead then a bad guy. But, at this point, it may be addition by subtraction.
Butler--really makes me sad. The reason he has not been charged (IMHO) is that he was very apologetic, owned up, and the cops simply don't want to ruin his life. If so, good on them. I think they are trying to cut him a relative break--and he will miss the year.
White--He was the driver (and assuming it was Max's gun) 4 games.
The others (assuming it was Max's gun) 2 games.
Add 3 games to whoever says it was his weed.
This may not hurt the team too much this year. But, the lives of two kids who sweat and bled for our team, and who sang our alma mater, are hugely effected. It's just very sad, and I hope they bounce back.

I thought Butler was charged with two felonies.

MSU kicked a player out of school for a year for a gun incident. He was later readmitted, paid a semester himself and after a successful semester was allowed to rejoin the team. His gun was legal but he flashed it when involved in a shouting match with another motorist. He didn't point it at the other guy but held it up to the driver who was shouting at him would know he had a gun. Legally that is called brandishing a gun. Stupid mistake and MSU held him to account.

Since you're such a friendly fan and very proud about how MSU handled its gun incident, you might be relieved to know you've got your facts wrong. The guy Kelly dismissed from the team is the senior that was in the car with the weed and gun.

And MSU's Delton Williams wasn't suspended for a year after flashing his gun in that road rage incident. He was suspended from team activities for five whole months in the offseason - March to July. Its true he wasn't on scholarship last season, but he was on the team and didn't miss a single game because of the incident.

Sounds like Williams was dealing with a family tragedy at the time he screwed up, and he's made much better use of his second chance than Glen Winston did, so maybe Dantonio got that one right. Good for him. But no reason to lie about MSU actually kicking the kid out for a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Momo222
I thought Butler was charged with two felonies.

Butler was arrested on felony charges, but the prosecutor sought more time to determine whether to actually charge him with any felonies. In other words, Butler hasn't been formally charged yet. I believe he'll be in court tomorrow and the prosecutor will have made its decision by then.

Reactions: HDK
Too bad the officer wasn't Jalen Strong. Butler would have just chased him around the bar without ever laying a hand on him.

Since you're such a friendly fan and very proud about how MSU handled its gun incident, you might be relieved to know you've got your facts wrong. The guy Kelly dismissed from the team is the senior that was in the car with the weed and gun.

And MSU's Delton Williams wasn't suspended for a year after flashing his gun in that road rage incident. He was suspended from team activities for five whole months in the offseason - March to July. Its true he wasn't on scholarship last season, but he was on the team and didn't miss a single game because of the incident.

Sounds like Williams was dealing with a family tragedy at the time he screwed up, and he's made much better use of his second chance than Glen Winston did, so maybe Dantonio got that one right. Good for him. But no reason to lie about MSU actually kicking the kid out for a year.

I stand corrected, my memory was faulty. regarding Williams. He got in trouble in March. He was kick off the team immediately and not allowed to attend summer school, he paid for his fall semester and was allowed to be part of the team.

I am surprised the guy who fought the cop wasn't dismissed by Kelly.

my comment last night seems to be right on and I am happy they didn't kick kids out for smoking weed. In terms of max he has had issues and although he is a loss in our secondary, which is going to be horrific this year, I agree with what the program did. With Butler I still have questions and as I stated in my previous post we don't know the truth. Being caught smoking weed is not something you can dispute but having a police officer say you resisted arrest and assaulted him/her is an entirely different story. If he did this, and again I hope there is video that show what happened, then he too should be out.

LOL. Your opinion doesn't matter. And you don't even know which player was dismissed. Did you study at MSU?

Reactions: greengael
I stand corrected, my memory was faulty. regarding Williams. He got in trouble in March. He was kick off the team immediately and not allowed to attend summer school, he paid for his fall semester and was allowed to be part of the team.

I am too. The prosecutor requested additional time to review the facts before making formal charges. I'm not much for making excuses for a guy that fights with a cop, but there's something that makes a lot of people pause when a guy is arrested for resisting arrest and the related battery on the officer, but not for any other crime. Maybe Butler made a compelling case for Kelly to wait for more facts to develop before deciding on his ultimate fate. I don't see what could come out that would help his cause, but we'll see what happens.

LOL. Your opinion doesn't matter. And you don't even know which player was dismissed. Did you study at MSU?

Forgive me, naturally I assumed the guy who fought the cop that had to go to the hospital for treatment after the fight was the miscreant that Kelly bounced. Fighting a cop and he didn't get dismissed? Ridiculous.

Suddenly there are no cell phone videos with a bar full of young people? I thought they take video of everything. Especially aggressive police officers. Without knowing the facts, I know exactly what happened because this tap dance has been played out hundreds of times in bars and the streets all across America. BK is wise for waiting on a final decision. There is no hurry to get it right. The ND Six has embarrassed the university and the program in a season that had great promise. Instead of the media talking ND football, they are all talking the ND Six.

Forgive me, naturally I assumed the guy who fought the cop that had to go to the hospital for treatment after the fight was the miscreant that Kelly bounced. Fighting a cop and he didn't get dismissed? Ridiculous.

Funny you should use the word ridiculous. That's exactly what I think of people who talk before they think or know. You have no clue about what happened, none of us do.

Worry about your team, which hasn't won a legitimate title in 74 years. Wasn't it your team, a couple of years back, who was still recruiting a kid who body-slammed a security guard on video?

Reactions: Pennick44

He may very well end up being dismissed. As of right now there are some vague aspects of the story and inconsistencies that need to be ironed out. I'm sure that's why Kelly put him in limbo for the time being.

As to the other four youngsters, IF Redfield copped to being the guy with the gun, they are guilty of being idiots and smoking weed off campus. Not exactly dismissable offenses in 2016, for first time offenders. My guess is they miss a game or two, unless the university has a harsher penalty in mind. Which is a distinct possibility.

They would have been a ton lighter if Nick Saban was coach.

He may very well end up being dismissed. As of right now there are some vague aspects of the story and inconsistencies that need to be ironed out. I'm sure that's why Kelly put him in limbo for the time being.

As to the other four youngsters, IF Redfield copped to being the guy with the gun, they are guilty of being idiots and smoking weed off campus. Not exactly dismissable offenses in 2016, for first time offenders. My guess is they miss a game or two, unless the university has a harsher penalty in mind. Which is a distinct possibility.

I have trouble with the notion that Max is the prime culprit. I just have to think that everyone in that car knew what the situation was. There were no 'innocents' in that car. The gun? why was it along for the ride? The destination and behavior was somewhat nefarious. Let's see how the individual stories jive.

Sadly I think this finally & publicly revealed why MAX never had success at ND. Now I just hope the others in the car learn fast and choose RKG's to hang out with---starting today! I am sure Autry is very disappointed in Dexter given his "family" comments on media day.

NEXT!!!

These are expulsions and suspensions doled out by Kelly.

Decisions by ND's Judicial Board are still to come. May be much harsher, who knows?

[QUOTE="Momo222, post: 1629275, member: 11918"Wasn't it your team, a couple of years back, who was still recruiting a kid who body-slammed a security guard on video?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the operative word is WAS because MSU stopped recruiting him after that episode in high school.

[QUOTE="Momo222, post: 1629275, member: 11918"Wasn't it your team, a couple of years back, who was still recruiting a kid who body-slammed a security guard on video?

Yeah, the operative word is WAS because MSU stopped recruiting him after that episode in high school.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but your program continued to recruit him after he sucker-punched an opposing player after a game in the hand-shake line. That took place before the body slam. So save the comments.

And as soon as your team wins a natty that doesn't date back to black and white tv's we'll take you seriously.

Butler was arrested on felony charges, but the prosecutor sought more time to determine whether to actually charge him with any felonies. In other words, Butler hasn't been formally charged yet. I believe he'll be in court tomorrow and the prosecutor will have made its decision by then.

EDIT: The State's Attorney actually has until Wednesday the 24th to decide how/whether its charging Butler.

Yeah, the operative word is WAS because MSU stopped recruiting him after that episode in high school.

Yeah, but your program continued to recruit him after he sucker-punched an opposing player after a game in the hand-shake line. That took place before the body slam. So save the comments.

And as soon as your team wins a natty that doesn't date back to black and white tv's we'll take you seriously.[/QUOTE]

How the hell do you know when MSU stopped recruiting whathisname? Are you a family member? Schools don't make public announcements when start or stop recruiting kids so you have no idea when MSU lost interest and you sound stupid acting like you. As for how seriously you or that matter anyone else take MSU who cares? We're content to enjoy the games and the results. Good luck against Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT