ADVERTISEMENT

Matchups To Watch: Notre Dame vs. USC

Bryan Driskell

Football Analyst
Apr 19, 2015
Granger, IN
Here's the matchups that I think could have the biggest impact in tonight's game.

ND OFFENSE

WR Miles Boykin, WR Chase Claypool vs. CB Iman Marshall - Marshall is a solid player that uses his size to make plays. If the Irish WR's make plays against him the pass game will have a chance to thrive.

TE Alizé Mack vs. LB Palaie Gaoteote - If he plays over John Houston I think Mack and Kmet could make some plays in the pass game against him. They'll get him on the second level in the run game as well.

LG Aaron Banks, RG Tommy Kraemer vs. DT Jay Tufele - Tufele is a talented player that could be disruptive inside. He can get after the passer and could give ND problems if the guards and center can't handle him.

ND DEFENSE

NB Houston Griffith vs. WR Amon-Ra St. Brown
- No matchup worries me more. I could see ND mostly shutting USC down and St. Brown ripping apart the ND slot defenders unless they put Julian Love there. The nickels have struggled in coverage all season and St. Brown does a lot of his work from the slot. USC will likely go deep to him early, but will ND have a plan?

DE Julian Okwara, DE Daelin Hayes, DE Khalid Kareem vs. LT Austin Jackson, RT Chuma Edoga - Notre Dame must control the edge of the line. Doing so in the run game forces everything back inside, where ND has a big advantage. Doing so in the pass game means JT Daniels won't be able to get comfortable. If ND dominates this matchup they likely dominate the game.

CB Troy Pride Jr., CB Julian Love vs. WR Tyler Vaughns, WR Michael Pittman - This is the most talented group of WR's that ND has faced all season, by far. To me they are the only group capable of making this a game if they go off. If ND keeps them in check this game likely won't be close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.