ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Freeman breaks his silence

Golson, Irish Beer, and others of their ilk should watch the Marcus Freeman Press Conference from this morning, then get back to us on their thoughts regarding what Marcus Freeman said.

I would love to listen to their insights.

Golson, Irish Beer, and others of their ilk should watch the Marcus Freeman Press Conference from this morning, then get back to us on their thoughts regarding what Marcus Freeman said.

I haven't listened to it but I'm sure I could guess what he said, toed the company line? Defended their process?

What would you expect him to say?

I haven't listened to it but I'm sure I could guess what he said, toed the company line? Defended their process?

Take a listen, then get back to us on your thoughts regarding what Marcus Freeman said, especially regarding Andy Ludwig and the OC hire in general.

Frankly, I believe him. It is extremely likely that both guys did not want to leave their current jobs for a variety of factors. I do think that a mistake was made in allowing Ludwig to appear at the hockey game, but I suspect Ludwig was leaning toward taking the job and then got talked out of it by Utah and his family.

I suspect Swarbrick broached trying to negotiate the buyout, but that is probably common. The timing of it gave Ludwig the opportunity to rethink his initial decision and stay in Utah. The PR was poorly handled and I'm sure Swarbrick is hearing that from guys like Mendoza.

I hope we get a great OL coach and that the Parker OC job with our new QB coach works out. There is no reason we should not put up a lot of points next season. Honestly, I'm more worried about the DL, but Freeman doesn't need the hassle of dealing with that right now.

Frankly, I believe him. It is extremely likely that both guys did not want to leave their current jobs for a variety of factors. I do think that a mistake was made in allowing Ludwig to appear at the hockey game, but I suspect Ludwig was leaning toward taking the job and then got talked out of it by Utah and his family.

I suspect Swarbrick broached trying to negotiate the buyout, but that is probably common. The timing of it gave Ludwig the opportunity to rethink his initial decision and stay in Utah. The PR was poorly handled and I'm sure Swarbrick is hearing that from guys like Mendoza.

I hope we get a great OL coach and that the Parker OC job with our new QB coach works out. There is no reason we should not put up a lot of points next season. Honestly, I'm more worried about the DL, but Freeman doesn't need the hassle of dealing with that right now.
If he's hearing from Mendoza, it's not because he's worried about the PR. He's worried about how we didn't get the job done, and now we have some chump as our OC. That's what he's worried about, in all likelihood. If he really was willing to pay the buyout himself as rumor would have it.

And so how the F would you come to such an improbable conclusion, unless you weren't reverse-engineering your 'opinion' that ND didn't do anything wrong and it just wasn't meant to be. With the key takeaway being that even though we didn't get a good OC, and totally dropped the ball on that score, when we really needed to get one, but in spite of that ND is still awesome, blameless, immaculate, etc.....

And there isn't even a trace of evidence that I'm aware of, that Ludwig was convinced by his family, who you suggest actively lobbied against him taking the job, as part how this whole thing went down. That's like, genuine fantasy-world type thinking, and you're literally making shit up out of thin air, in order to lend weight to your preferred explanation. That's how blatantly and unself-consciously you appear to arrive at your final 'opinion'. On the strength of fictitious details, that you completely made up.....

Take a listen, then get back to us on your thoughts regarding what Marcus Freeman said, especially regarding Andy Ludwig and the OC hire in general.
I already knew what he was going to say.... like I said.

What did you expect

I wonder if they asked him who next of the low hanging fruit on staff will Jack want as OC.
Have not listened either. But actions speak louder than words.
I already knew what he was going to say.... like I said.

What did you expect
BROAD STROKES
If he's hearing from Mendoza, it's not because he's worried about the PR. He's worried about how we didn't get the job done, and now we have some chump as our OC. That's what he's worried about, in all likelihood. If he really was willing to pay the buyout himself as rumor would have it.

And so how the F would you come to such an improbable conclusion, unless you weren't reverse-engineering your 'opinion' that ND didn't do anything wrong and it just wasn't meant to be. With the key takeaway being that even though we didn't get a good OC, and totally dropped the ball on that score, when we really needed to get one, but in spite of that ND is still awesome, blameless, immaculate, etc.....

And there isn't even a trace of evidence that I'm aware of, that Ludwig was convinced by his family, who you suggest actively lobbied against him taking the job, as part how this whole thing went down. That's like, genuine fantasy-world type thinking, and you're literally making shit up out of thin air, in order to lend weight to your preferred explanation. That's how blatantly and unself-consciously you appear to arrive at your final 'opinion'. On the strength of fictitious details, that you completely made up.....

LMAO.

Reactions: echowaker

" chump " ? Grow up.

People are going to believe what they want. The ones who overreacted without knowing details are unlikely to consider rethinking their position. In the big picture it really is nothing more than a minor PR snafu. Most here never heard of Ludwig.

People are going to believe what they want. The ones who overreacted without knowing details are unlikely to consider rethinking their position. In the big picture it really is nothing more than a minor PR snafu. Most here never heard of Ludwig.
What’s wrong is hiring Parker. That’s the only evidence we have. The rest is arguable.

Yeah, it's frustrating. For some reason it's rather depressing to me. There's no trust in institutions anymore, and I for one this one time, really wanted ND to knock it out of the park. So I trusted this one particular institution, on the hopes that things were a little different now, and ND wasn't going to go all cheap and settle for second best. And we would get a top OC, and it'd be high fives all around....

And they just didn't come through. No good reason to come up empty, no explanation, other than what appears to be some sort of cover up, or cover your ass prevarication of our bungled attempt to get a top guy. And then ending up with Parker, the dead last-resort option. Maybe that's what MF wanted all along. This board blindly rallying around ND's very lame response to the firestorm that ensued, is just salt in the wound....

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
Well if you're being honest and using your logic, you really have no clue what really happened.

Whether people heard of Ludwig is irrelevant to what happened and wasnt a point if you were trying to make one

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want. But for you to act like everyone was wrong because people say in a presser was such, is ignorant

Do you believe everything you hear on tv and from the news as well?

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
The PMIR wants you to NOT believe the people intimately involved in the negotiations, BUT
instead, to believe the unidentified sources NOT involved in the negotiations.

You can’t get any dumber than that !

Tiger rant

Tiger rant

Reactions: d1042
The PMIR wants you to NOT believe the people intimately involved in the negotiations, BUT
instead, to believe the unidentified sources NOT involved in the negotiations.

You can’t get any dumber than that !
Do you believe what politicians say over the media?

Just bc you’ll pay a buyout and then offer a crap wage doesn’t remove the premise. Spin it how you’d like. That’s what lawyers do, Jack being one. We won’t pay. You don’t turn down the right pay when you’re interested enough to fly out, take pics, and embarrass yourself and Utah over nothing.

The way freeman defended Jack as “it’s normal to negotiate against buyouts” tells me there’s truth to the reports that ND played hardball before offering a better buyout after it was too late and Ludwig was already home and back to work. Ludwig realized ND is full of cheap ****ers and said no thanks.

Last edited:
Just bc you’ll pay a buyout and then offer a crap wage doesn’t remove the premise of the issue. Spin it how you’d like. That’s what lawyers do, Jack being one. We won’t pay. You don’t turn down the right pay when you’re interested enough to fly out, take pics, and embarrass yourself and Utah over nothing.

The way freeman worded it as “it’d normal to negotiate against buyouts” tells me there’s truth to the reports that ND played hardball before offering a better buyout after it was too late. Ludwig realized ND is full of ****ers and said no thanks.
This is actually a good point. Why would Ludwig go through the embarrassment of being out in public with the ND staff, had he not been sold on the potential move so long as the numbers were right?

Ultimately it had to come down to numbers, and given Swarbrick's track record in regards to hiring coaches and coordinators, ND loses its coordinators/talent to their biggest competitors ALL THE TIME and replaces those coaches with internal options who are willing to sacrifice a big salary for an opportunity.

I guess the criticism here is does ND think it's going to win merely because it wears the colors blue and gold and has a cool fight song?

If you're constantly shedding talent to competitors, and not ponying up the dollars to replace your talent on the coaching FA market, then how in the hell do you expect to compete with those other organizations for wins on Saturdays?

This is actually a good point. Why would Ludwig go through the embarrassment of being out in public with the ND staff, had he not been sold on the potential move so long as the numbers were right?

Ultimately it had to come down to numbers, and given Swarbrick's track record, ND loses its coordinators/talent to other top tier organizations ALL the time and replaces those coaches with internal options who are willing to sacrifice a big salary for an opportunity.

I guess the criticism here is does ND think it's going to win because it wears the colors blue and gold and has a cool fight song?

If you're constantly shedding talent to competitors, and not ponying up the dollars to replace your talent on the coaching FA market, then how in the hell do you expect to compete with those other organizations for wins on Saturdays?
Exactly. But some people just don’t like to accept the uncomfortable truth when it’s about something they love. One that they’re being lied to. Two that they are wrong.

The precedent is very well set that ND doesn’t pay. It even has the attention of the national media. Now Jack is using Freeman as his press secretary. I have to say, he’s far more coherent and convincing than the presidents. But I see right through it.

Reactions: chaseball
Knowing the way a lot of organizations operate, this issue might even be above Freeman's head entirely.

Swarbrick can be providing the optics to Freeman that he has his full support but then behind the scenes not willing to budge on a myriad of issues that have played a part in stifling NDs ability to win national titles for decades. And how would Freeman even know otherwise? he's a first year head coach with little experience dealing with the politics between an AD & HC that his job requires.

Last edited:
The posters who jumped to conclusions and slammed Jack Swarbick and the Notre Dame Admin last week, and continue to, are not going to retract after listening to Marcus Freeman and the Notre Dame Football side of things today. Will never happen.

Reactions: Kelso86
Knowing the way a lot of organizations operate, this issue might even be above Freeman's head entirely.

Swarbrick can be providing the optics to Freeman that he has his full support but then behind the scenes not willing to budge on a myriad of issues that have played a part in stifling NDs ability to win national titles for decades. And how would Freeman even know otherwise? he's a first year head coach with little experience dealing with the politics between an AD & HC that his job requires.
Have you lost your mind and your memory ?

“Stifling ND’s ability to win national titles for decades” ?

Notre Dame played for two National titles in just the last decade
!

It could be called a number of things, taking one for the team, protecting your boss, protecting your employer, protecting yourself, Machiavellian, or just straight up lying.

MF was clearly uncomfortable. So that shows he is not a sociopath, but it also shows he does not walk on water, and all his blind witness, fan boys on here will have to deal with that fact. He is looking and sounding more like Brian Kelly every day, That BTW, is a good thing, not a bad thing. If you want to win a Championship at ND, you better leave that holier than thou BS in the closet.

It could be called a number of things, taking one for the team, protecting your boss, protecting your employer, protecting yourself, Machiavellian, or just straight up lying.

MF was clearly uncomfortable. So that shows he is not a sociopath, but it also shows he does not walk on water, and all his blind witness, fan boys on here will have to deal with that fact. He is looking and sounding more like Brian Kelly every day, That BTW, is a good thing, not a bad thing. If you want to win a Championship at ND, you better leave that holier than thou BS in the closet.
Verbal flatulence!

• Haha
Reactions: irishalice
Well if you're being honest and using your logic, you really have no clue what really happened.

Whether people heard of Ludwig is irrelevant to what happened and wasnt a point if you were trying to make one

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want. But for you to act like everyone was wrong because people say in a presser was such, is ignorant

Do you believe everything you hear on tv and from the news as well?
"you really have no clue what really happened"

Truthfully -- NO ONE DOES (other than the principal's involved)

Reactions: irishalice
Freeman is on his way to becoming the worst coach in ND history. Even Gerry Faust had a better staff than these clowns.

• Haha
Reactions: Ndapolis1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT