ADVERTISEMENT

Lou must be smiling

BGI User 2232

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2003
On his birthday, one can't help but think of Lou, and with the commitment from a highly coveted recruit like C.J. Williams, on top of five or six other premier recent additions, I am immediately reminded of one of Lou's favorite topics -- what it takes to be a program.

It would be chutzpah of the highest order for me to try to paraphrase Lou's thoughts on the matter, so I'll offer my own, a very watered-down version of Lou. It means you have systems in place where you can attract first-tier talent -- not just players but coaches. It means the teams you put on the field are competitive week in, week out and don't beat themselves, nor lose to inferior opposition on more than isolated occasions. It means you have a depth chart that puts quality players on the field at all positions throughout two-deeps.

It feels like Notre Dame is there, or at least, very close. That's not to say this year might not be better than 10-3. We don't know right now, because there is still a gap or two, reflecting uncertainty. But moving forward, there may not be. 10-3 may become the floor.

Becoming a program was a big deal for Lou, and if it was a big deal for him, it should be a big deal for all of us. Happy birthday, Lou.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News