ADVERTISEMENT

Kizer

ZORO50

ND Expert
Dec 28, 2008
While he probably leaves for the draft and the potential $$ and that's a lottery ticket you need to cash.

It's my opinion that he really needs another year to improve his game. His accuracy is not NFL ready. Not even close. I don't know how you become more accurate in the NFL holding a clip board.

He missed some head shaking throws vs Army and Navy.
Other times his foot work is off.

If Brady Quinn wasn't successful due to accuracy. What will Kizer be in the NFL?

My opinion is Quinn was more accurate than Kizer at ND.

Thoughts?

Quinn was way more accurate. Brady was just a bit stiff and he wasn't what I would call a natural thrower of the ball. He struggled in the NFL getting out of any pressure. He also started his NFL career with Cleveland, where qbs go to die.

Reactions: end_23
Quinn was way more accurate. Brady was just a bit stiff and he wasn't what I would call a natural thrower of the ball. He struggled in the NFL getting out of any pressure. He also started his NFL career with Cleveland, where qbs go to die.

Right. In the NFL it often depends on which team you start with. If you start with a team whose schemes don't fit your talents, or who don't develop and utilize your talents, then you're looking at a short career.

With the right coaches, system, etc ... one can develop and flourish.

As for Kizer, I agree, right now he does not look NFL ready but who knows?

Reactions: end_23 and ZORO50
While he probably leaves for the draft and the potential $$ and that's a lottery ticket you need to cash.

It's my opinion that he really needs another year to improve his game. His accuracy is not NFL ready. Not even close. I don't know how you become more accurate in the NFL holding a clip board.

If Brady Quinn wasn't successful due to accuracy. What will Kizer be in the NFL?

Thoughts?

If he leaves, it's to escape Kelly ruining him. Remember, the kid has only played 2 years of HS football and 2 years of college. Personally, I think his accuracy is fine and to your point, even better than Quinn"s, who really never had great skills and technique and didn't throw that well. Kizer is the best pure QB ND has had here in many years. He has natural skill sets, size, arm and a good understanding of managing the game - given his very limited time playing organized football. Too much nit picking here. You all should be directing your criticisms toward Kelly and the very destructive, demoralizing and intemperate sideline tirades. How any QB can be sane after time with Kelly is beyond me.

Reactions: DogBoyRy and end_23
If he leaves, it's to escape Kelly ruining him. Remember, the kid has only played 2 years of HS football and 2 years of college. Personally, I think his accuracy is fine and to your point, even better than Quinn"s, who really never had great skills and technique and didn't throw that well. Kizer is the best pure QB ND has had here in many years. He has natural skill sets, size, arm and a good understanding of managing the game - given his very limited time playing organized football. Too much nit picking here. You all should be directing your criticisms toward Kelly and the very destructive, demoralizing and intemperate sideline tirades. How any QB can be sane after time with Kelly is beyond me.
Last I checked, Kelly coached Kizer last year when he was doing better. Sometimes it's the player's fault. It's called accountability.

As for sideline tirades, all coaches do that at some point. Did you see Nick Saban screaming at that player on the sideline a few weeks back? Do you consider that different or okay because of Saban's success?

If there is deterioration in Kizer's play from last year to this year, who do YOU hold accountable? That's Kelly. That's the guy yelling and screaming at the kid who is playing the most mentally and emotionally demanding position on the field. And I have never seen Saban or Meyer or any top HC start yelling and screaming and chasing a QB up and down the side line during the game - that's the last thing you do. Kelly has ruined every QB he has touched. He is not a teacher. He's a gimmick coach who is in over his head at this level. He should be in the MAC or D2.

Reactions: end_23
If there is deterioration in Kizer's play from last year to this year, who do YOU hold accountable? That's Kelly. That's the guy yelling and screaming at the kid who is playing the most mentally and emotionally demanding position on the field. And I have never seen Saban or Meyer or any top HC start yelling and screaming and chasing a QB up and down the side line during the game - that's the last thing you do. Kelly has ruined every QB he has touched. He is not a teacher. He's a gimmick coach who is in over his head at this level. He should be in the MAC or D2.
Well, then I guess you never watched Steve Spurrier.

Try this one on for size.

Link: http://larrybrownsports.com/everyth...freshman-quarterback-aj-maccarron-video/39305

Thoughts?
You couldn't be anymore correct. The one thing I've noticed is unless the primary receiver is over the middle, DK will negate that option and look sideline 100%. He needs to understand that it's ok to take the small positive yard gain versus the big play. He missed plenty of throws against Miami, Navy and Army. Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy....

The question is, not who does it, but how do you develop a quality QB. Yelling and screaming during a game does not work and is very counter productive for a QB. Other positions, fine, I can see an argument - not QB - not during a game.
You're changing your argument.

While I would agree about not doing that to a QB during the game, you made it sound as though Kelly is the only coach that has done that. I'm trying to show you that he isn't the only one.

That video of Saban screaming at McCarron was very interesting, especially whacking him on the backside as hard as he did. As I posted earlier, they all do it at some point in time. With that said, McCarron turned out okay so it's obvious to me that there are players that have the mental makeup to take it and learn from it.

To the OP, I think Kizer goes pro and I think he will be challenged. His measurables are really appealing and his running ability adds a dimension that the pros are slowly embracing as important to extending plays and adding a threat the defense has to plan against. I said last year that Kizer missed too many opportunities because he gets locked into a receiver and doesn't get through his progressions quickly, if at all. His short passing was terrible and his decisions making in the red zone was equally poor. On the other hand, his long passes were exceptionally accurate, and I felt if he made improvements in his areas of need, he would be damn near unstoppable this year. Up to this point, this season has been a disappointment, but I don't think Kizer has regressed. The strong point of his game is the long ball, and he sorely misses having Fuller running free and clear downfield. I think he has slowly improved going through his progressions and he is doing an an increasingly better job of hitting his second or third receiver. His short passing still sucks, and he hasn't shown NFL quality red zone passing ability. Personally, I hope he does go pro as I am anxious to turn the team over to Wimbush and see what he can do, recognizing that we as fans have a tendency to fall in love with the QB in waiting.

I'd say with Wimbush- the arm strength is great.
In limited action, He really impressed me the touchdown run.

He did carry the ball like a loaf of bread also and the kid sports a "nose ring"

I'm not going to anoint a kid with a diamond nugget in his nose a savior
But as the experts have pointed out
Kelly has done better not worse with rookie QB's because he runs and protects them

I want to see Ian Book. Mike Leach is one of the best coaches in the country. He coveted Ian and so did Sanford. Kizer has done all he can. Let him move on and allow the young guys to compete. Any QB will have to over come Kelly's incompetence. They should make a summer training camp for that too. Training camp titled- your offensive play caller is a moron camp.

Reactions: Nocalirish
Exactly. Everyone in here knows he's not even close to being ready for the NFL. I think he leaves because he despises Kelly. #TheQBKiller

I want to see Ian Book. Mike Leach is one of the best coaches in the country. He coveted Ian and so did Sanford. Kizer has done all he can. Let him move on and allow the young guys to compete. Any QB will have to over come Kelly's incompetence. They should make a summer training camp for that too. Training camp titled- your offensive play caller is a moron camp.
You don't want to see Wimbush?

Exactly. Everyone in here knows he's not even close to being ready for the NFL. I think he leaves because he despises Kelly. #TheQBKiller

Clearly you don't like Kelly. The way he coaches qbs isn't the problem only a few college programs actually run traditional offenses that translate into the NFL. The vast majority of qbs that come out are not ready for college. If you're a fisrt round pick you leave that simple the shelf life of a football player is 3 years. As for the backups they're backups for a reason. Imo coaches should ride the qb the most he's suppose to be the leader of your team he should take the most heat.

Wimbush playing is a given and yes I think he deserves a shot. But I think everyone should get looked at and have a fair opportunity before anyone gets penciled in.

And you know he despises Kelly how?

Once again, you use your opinion as fact. The fact is, you don't know.

Sorry, don't agree - he's NFL ready now. He's going to be a top 5 pick and make 20M a year. Tell me, would you turn down 20M for the orgasmic pleasure of working another year with Coach 8 & 4?

I too think that Kizer will and should go pro. I think he has lots of natural talent and has the potential to
be a successful pro QB.
If he stays another year, what does he gain ? one good hit and his football career could be over as well
as a big pay day by going pro.
If a door opens for the big payoff, you take it !

Being honest, he's not ready but that really isn't the point. It's a business decision, if drafted high, he goes

If Kizer is a top pick, then this the worst qb eligible draft ive ever seen. Hes not good! Stares receivers down, inaccurate, inconsistent, and most importantly no fire in him. He can run a qb option, but hell, so could tebow.

Also these refs suck nuts!!!

Last I checked, Kelly coached Kizer last year when he was doing better. Sometimes it's the player's fault. It's called accountability.

As for sideline tirades, all coaches do that at some point. Did you see Nick Saban screaming at that player on the sideline a few weeks back? Do you consider that different or okay because of Saban's success?

Difference is Saban is a winner. Kelly is a loser. And he has destroyed each and every quarterback he has coached at ND except for Tommy Rees who didn't have the physical talent but somehow did his best.

Check the NFL draft sites. Kizer is already projected as the #2 pick in the draft to the Niners. He is gone and could learn nothing from Kelly anyway.

Just hope Kizer moves onto pros . We are now in the rebuilding stage in 2017

Wimbush is the best QB we have. Pj fleck plus wimbush equals wins.

Kelly kills QB confidence. CRIST, GOLSON, ZAIRE, KIZER. All regressed under Kelly. Remember at Cincinnati? He got lucky and his starter got injured. The backup won all those games before Kelly sucked the life out of him.

Just look at him today. How many times did he yell at the WR that he should have gotten out of bounds. Was ridiculous. At least he caught the ball. Why wasn't Kelly screaming after the two balls went through WR hands.

Tommy Rees can coach this team better than Kelly. Kelly isn't a good "coach". A "coach" doesn't regress a player.

Thoughts?

Kizer needs about 3 more years in college to ever make a decent NFL QB. His accuracy is doing nothing but getting worse and worse. He still holds onto the ball way too long and he just flat out isn't quick enough with his release. Prime ex. was the out pass to CJ where ESB was hit with a holding call. That pass took forever to get to the sideline. His accuracy on those throws have been all over the place this year. Last season he got those to Fuller in half the time. Last year his deep accuracy was solid and this year it has been horrible. This kid is in no way ready for the NFL and I have no clue what these NFL scouts see in him. He isn't a winner and can't find a way for his team to win those close games he comes up short every single time.

Reactions: FightinMad35
Kizer needs about 3 more years in college to ever make a decent NFL QB. His accuracy is doing nothing but getting worse and worse. He still holds onto the ball way too long and he just flat out isn't quick enough with his release. Prime ex. was the out pass to CJ where ESB was hit with a holding call. That pass took forever to get to the sideline. His accuracy on those throws have been all over the place this year. Last season he got those to Fuller in half the time. Last year his deep accuracy was solid and this year it has been horrible. This kid is in no way ready for the NFL and I have no clue what these NFL scouts see in him. He isn't a winner and can't find a way for his team to win those close games he comes up short every single time.
Yes, because Kelly killed his confidence. He's second guessing everything.

Tell that to his agent. He's going to get 10%. What did you make this year?

I'm not an NFL draft expert or anything , but it seems to me that Kizer has not shown enough to be a first round pick. Let's see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT