ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly hires special teams analyst

pmemorial

Here Come The Irish
Feb 12, 2016
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

"Notre Dame:
Former South Dakota (FCS) corners coach & former Southern University (FCS – LA) special teams coordinator Marty Biagi is joining the Notre Dame staff as special teams analyst. Biagi received special mention among the 2014 Finalists for the FootballScoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year."

http://goyotes.com/coaches.aspx?rc=586

University of South Dakota

Marty Biagi
Cornerbacks

Marty Biagi joined the Coyote coaching staff in the spring of 2015. His primary coaching responsibilities rest with the cornerbacks.

Biagi has spent the past three seasons at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La. Last year, he served as special teams coordinator and defensive backs coach, and the Jaguars were the top-ranked special teams unit in scoring in all of college football. Southern returned four kickoffs for touchdowns, three punts for scores and Biagi was named a finalist for Football Scoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year.

Biagi spent the 2011 season as co-defensive coordinator at the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Prior to that, he was a graduate assistant at the University of Arkansas where he specialized in coaching special teams and defensive backs. He also received commitments from eight players in six different states during his three years as a graduate assistant.

Biagi was a punter and placekicker for Marshall University from 2004-07. He earned his bachelor’s degree in physical education in May of 2008.

Reactions: IrishBlooded
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

"Notre Dame:
Former South Dakota (FCS) corners coach & former Southern University (FCS – LA) special teams coordinator Marty Biagi is joining the Notre Dame staff as special teams analyst. Biagi received special mention among the 2014 Finalists for the FootballScoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year."

http://goyotes.com/coaches.aspx?rc=586

University of South Dakota

Marty Biagi
Cornerbacks

Marty Biagi joined the Coyote coaching staff in the spring of 2015. His primary coaching responsibilities rest with the cornerbacks.

Biagi has spent the past three seasons at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La. Last year, he served as special teams coordinator and defensive backs coach, and the Jaguars were the top-ranked special teams unit in scoring in all of college football. Southern returned four kickoffs for touchdowns, three punts for scores and Biagi was named a finalist for Football Scoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year.

Biagi spent the 2011 season as co-defensive coordinator at the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Prior to that, he was a graduate assistant at the University of Arkansas where he specialized in coaching special teams and defensive backs. He also received commitments from eight players in six different states during his three years as a graduate assistant.

Biagi was a punter and placekicker for Marshall University from 2004-07. He earned his bachelor’s degree in physical education in May of 2008.
Tremendous news if ND can improve its special teams it would be tremendous - our special teams have always underperformed

Can he recruit? The first criteria should be a person's recruiting skills and their willingness to travel and build relationships. We are forced to carry BVG and his lack of recruiting help, need to pick it up somewhere else. Really need a closer - bad!

http://www.ndinsider.com/irishstew/...cle_117006b0-def2-11e5-954b-2f4c7b337b17.html

"Last season, Biagi served as the cornerbacks coach at South Dakota. Prior to that, he was the special teams coordinator and defensive backs coach at Southern University from 2012 to 2014. Biagi was named a finalist for Special Teams Coordinator of the Year byFootballScoop.com in 2014, after his Jaguars scored eight special teams touchdowns in the 2014 season alone." ---SBT

Another set of experienced eyes watching over ST and giving suggestions to coaches on the field.

He's not that experienced. Plus, the fine print doesn't say that he was ineligible for the award because, "Biagi is not eligible for the overall FootballScoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year award as it is strictly an FBS award..." He made the '14 list on the basis of 8 special teams TDs. (4 kickoff returns, 3 punt returns, 1 blocked punt returned) In '15 it looks like their STs had zero TDs. I agree with adding resources and eyes as being a good thing.

You have coaches right now in HS and lower college levels that are better than many D1A coaches. Autrey Denson coached one year of HS football down at Pope John Paul II HS and went 3-7 and resigned. They were as poorly a coached and prepared team as I've ever seen.

.Now he's suddenly a big time D1A coach. Believe me it's about who you know and less about what you know. That's why a guy like Brian Kelly working his way through the lower levels is so impressive.

At the risk of drawing your ire, I would agree that it is impressive that Brian Kelly worked his way through the lower levels of coaching and had success there. But why would Kelly hire someone who was a terrible coach in high school and didn't have his team prepared to play. Isn't that an indictment of Kelly as a head coach? I mean maybe he hired Denson because of his ability to recruit, but aren't there enough good coaches at the lower levels who can both coach and recruit that would have been better hires than Denson? This isn't a knock, but a question. Same with Van Gorder. Van Gorder certainly has a good resume but for all practical purposes he does not recruit much, if at all. Again, why wouldn't Kelly look for someone who is both a good coach and good recruiter? Seems counter-intutive to me.

At the risk of drawing your ire, I would agree that it is impressive that Brian Kelly worked his way through the lower levels of coaching and had success there. But why would Kelly hire someone who was a terrible coach in high school and didn't have his team prepared to play. Isn't that an indictment of Kelly as a head coach? I mean maybe he hired Denson because of his ability to recruit, but aren't there enough good coaches at the lower levels who can both coach and recruit that would have been better hires than Denson? This isn't a knock, but a question. Same with Van Gorder. Van Gorder certainly has a good resume but for all practical purposes he does not recruit much, if at all. Again, why wouldn't Kelly look for someone who is both a good coach and good recruiter? Seems counter-intutive to me.

Are you another troll or just an idiot?. Denson was one helluva hire. He did a great job with the running backs this year and did a great job recruiting.

actually you nailed charlie weis single biggest mistake at notre dame. he hired a staff full of good recruiters who were mediocre position coaches at best. charlie was a poor administrator who couldn't recognize quality coaching ability.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

There are tons of coaches at every level (more notoriously at the lower levels) that don't belong near any team. We see it all the time across many sports. (Golf coaches that can't break 100...)

Autry was/is an incredible talent and his ND/NFL/Pro record/resume' speaks for itself. His record setting career at ND was extraordinary. It looks like he took a 6 year hiatus from football before emerging in 2010 as a HS HC coach for 1 year at a co-ed school with 500 students. A poster "slamming" his performance there is simply unfortunate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_II_High_School_(Florida)

He then took a RB coach position at Bethune Cookman ('11-'13) and helped them continue their conference championship excellence. After BC he joined Chuck Martin's staff at Miami, Ohio, which was a losing proposition, before heading to ND.

Right now our running back position is a team strength. Folston and Adams are going to provide an exciting 1-2 punch. I am hoping to see both emerge at 220+ pounds this spring. I like Dexter Williams a lot too. He is very shifty. (CJ Sanders in the slot bolstered by this ground attack potential could be lethal).

Denson is everything you would want in a Notre Dame coach. His personal and professional acumen are exemplary. He is a monster on the recruiting trail and his Florida roots are huge plus in that area.

Autry was coached in the NFL by Tony Dungy, Jimmy Johnson, Dave Wannstedt and Dick Jauron.

The suggestion by another poster that he is getting by with "who he knows" is small thinking ridiculous poppycock.

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
Are you another troll or just an idiot?. Denson was one helluva hire. He did a great job with the running backs this year and did a great job recruiting.
I think he is both a troll and an idiot. He has both bases covered.
He may be related to perse.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I think he is both a troll and an idiot. He has both bases covered.
He may be related to perse.

Huh?

Hillrock is questioning the other poster's description of Autry Denson and politely questioning that account. That other poster denigrated Autry Denson's abilities with the following:

"Autrey Denson coached one year of HS football down at Pope John Paul II HS and went 3-7 and resigned. They were as poorly a coached and prepared team as I've ever seen.

.Now he's suddenly a big time D1A coach. Believe me it's about who you know and less about what you know."

Why aren't you challenging that?

Reactions: perseverare
You have coaches right now in HS and lower college levels that are better than many D1A coaches. Autrey Denson coached one year of HS football down at Pope John Paul II HS and went 3-7 and resigned. They were as poorly a coached and prepared team as I've ever seen.

.Now he's suddenly a big time D1A coach. Believe me it's about who you know and less about what you know. That's why a guy like Brian Kelly working his way through the lower levels is so impressive.
can't agree with your assessment.

Reactions: pmemorial
Bodi,

Read my post. I did not knock Denson. I simply asked if he was such a poor coach in high school, then why would Kelly hire him. I'm sure he's a great recruiter. I didn't slam him. Save your shit for the poster who pointed out Densons record in HS.

Wow. Big news. Golf clap.
only a specific number of staff members can actively recruit. pretty common knowledge.
Not really. I am sure many fans did not know this. Instead of being sarcastic, can you educate some of us about who can and cannot recruit. Is an analyst a coach? If not, what is the SP coach doing? Doesn't he analyze? If not, why is he even on the coaching staff? Seems like overkill to me when instead, you can hire one guy who can and should do both.

Reactions: perseverare
I said his HS football team went 3-7 and we're poorly coached. And he resigned after one season. Those are facts not opinion.

He is on staff at ND because he played football for ND and played in the NFL.

Jimmy Johnson and Tony Dungy have coached thousands of players and it has virtually nothing to do with being a competent coach. Whomever "tried" to make that point failed miserably and obviously never coached a snap a day in his life. But that's okay. You're in good company around here. Just try harder next time because you're not very good.

I said his HS football team went 3-7 and we're poorly coached. And he resigned after one season. Those are facts not opinion.

Jimmy Johnson and Tony Dungy have coached thousands of players and it has virtually nothing to do with being a competent coach. Whomever "tried" to make that point failed miserably and obviously never coached a snap a day in his life. But that's okay. You're in good company around here. Just try harder next time because you're not very good.
You're a dope. Get lost

Brilliant response Pennick. Did you come up with that all by yourself? Or did you require some help? There's nothing Autry Denson did in HS that deserved his elevation to the college ranks. Other than the fact he was a former ND star and former NFL player.

If that offends your delicate sensibilities, then thats just too bad. Grow up and stop acting like a mangina.

Wow. Big news. Golf clap.

Not really. I am sure many fans did not know this. Instead of being sarcastic, can you educate some of us about who can and cannot recruit. Is an analyst a coach? If not, what is the SP coach doing? Doesn't he analyze? If not, why is he even on the coaching staff? Seems like overkill to me when instead, you can hire one guy who can and should do both.

FBS teams are limited to 1 head coach, 9 assistant coaches, and 4 graduate assistants. Those are the guys that can instruct players directly. The strength and conditioning coach is excluded from those numbers, but can't instruct players during games or practice about anything other than pre/post practice stretching, training, and conditioning issues. Graduate assistants have some limitations too.

Our 9 assistant coaches are:

Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks - Sanford
Defensive Coordinator - VanGorder
Tight Ends - Booker
Offensive Line - Heistand
Running Backs - Densen
Wide Receivers - Denbrock
Defensive Line - Gilmore
Linebackers - Elston
Defensive Backs - Lyght

That's 9 assistants. We reached the limit on assistant coaches. So one coach, Booker, also acts as the Special Teams Coordinator. We need to increase our effectiveness not only on special teams, but at the tight end position too. Since we can't hire another coach, giving Booker some support seems prudent. But even that help must be very limited and closely monitored. When USC got dinged by the NCAA, one of the violations involved a "consultant" that the NCAA decided had crossed the line into coaching activity. It put USC over the limit. Obviously, we should avoid that.

Brilliant response Pennick. Did you come up with that all by yourself? Or did you require some help? There's nothing Autry Denson did in HS that deserved his elevation to the college ranks. Other than the fact he was a former ND star and former NFL player.

If that offends your delicate sensibilities, then thats just too bad. Grow up and stop acting like a mangina.
i know plenty of guys whom are coaching in college and never coached at the high school level. a team having a losing record doesn't automatically indicate they were poorly coached. you know better than that.

Reactions: john0gaunt
i know plenty of guys whom are coaching in college and never coached at the high school level. a team having a losing record doesn't automatically indicate they were poorly coached. you know better than that.

Plus the high school Densen coached at had about 500 total students - including girls. That presents a challenge for any coach.

I repeat you're a dope. He is doing a great job coaching and recruiting. Go pound sand.

The problem with your post is that you appear to be using a losing record as your main point of poor coaching. Heck, Bill Walsh went 3-7-1 in his final year at Stanford. (4-7 the prior year). I can't find anything about Pope John's football history, but peeking over the fence they look like a small school. Just out of curiosity how many games did you attend with Autry Denson as HS head coach? Or, was it that combined with film which forged your opinion? What were the problem areas or was it a total clusterf***?

No the fact they were poorly coached, equates to the fact they were poorly cosched. And they were poorly coached.

There was nothing Autry Denson did as a HS coach, to distinguish himself as a potential college coach. I was there and you weren't.

He is in the postion he's in because of what he did as a player, and because he's perceived as a guy who can recruit players in South Florida. Not because he can coach.There are 500 coaches who are more qualified to be a Running Backs coach at ND.

No the fact they were poorly coached, equates to the fact they were poorly cosched. And they were poorly coached.

There was nothing Autry Denson did as a HS coach, to distinguish himself as a potential college coach. I was there and you weren't.

He is in the postion he's in because of what he did as a player, and because he's perceived as a guy who can recruit players in South Florida. Not because he can coach.There are 500 coaches who are more qualified to be a Running Backs coach at ND.

"His attention to detail at the running back position, how he was teaching the running backs, the depth and knowledge at the position and his philosophy matched mine in terms of development of the student-athlete both on and off the field," says Kelly, who canceled all subsequent candidate interviews.”

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092215aai.html

Notre Dame Hit Homerun with Mike Sanford, Autry Denson
http://www.uhnd.com/football/notre-dame-hit-homerun-mike-sanford-autry-denson-26061/

Autry Denson faced a similar uphill battle after former five-star running backGreg Bryantleft the program and starterTarean Folstonwas lost for the season with a torn ACL. The running back position quickly transformed from a position of strength to one lacking any form of depth. Denson was charged with turning C.J. Prosise, a former safety prospect moved to wide receiver, into Notre Dame’s starting running back despite Prosise having never played the position at any level. Prosise became one of the most productive running backs Notre Dame has had sinceJulius Jones.
The success of Notre Dame’s new assistants has created waves in the college football world. In addition to his on the field production, Autry Denson is making the most of his notoriety and is developing a reputation as an elite recruiter after securing an official visit from Ben Davis, an Alabama native whose father played for the Crimson Tide, as well as the No. 1 inside linebacker prospect in the nation.
Concerns about the lack of experience of Notre Dame’s new hires have been answered, and Brian Kelly has done an excellent job of identifying new coaching talent.

Autry Denson Still Working Magic for Notre Dame

http://www.uhnd.com/football/autry-denson-working-magic-notre-dame-24119/

Prosise, a player on his third position in four years in his first year of tutelage under Denson, has already run for 600 yards and 6 touchdowns in four games.

How much of Prosise’s success is due to his natural ability and how much can be attributed to Denson’s coaching remains to be seen, but given Prosise’s meteoric rise, Denson’s guidance simply can’t be ignored – especially when you consider that Prosise isn’t the only Irish back performing at a high level.

Brian Kelly credited Denson with contributing to Prosise’s success following their blowout of UMass. “Autry Denson does a great job. He’s our all-time leading rusher here at Notre Dame,” Kelly said.. “He’s able to have conversations about the position that are real in a way that he’s played the position, so he can really impact him with a lot of knowledge, so that’s been very helpful in his learning curve.”

Prosise isn’t the only back that Denson is mentoring though. After Notre Dame lostTarean Folston for the season in the opener against Texas, Notre Dame’s running back depth chart behind Prosise was suddenly filled by a pair of true freshmen – Josh Adams and Dexter Williams – one of which (Adams) was coming off a serious knee injury suffered during his prep senior season a year ago.

In the spring time no one expected either Adams or Williams to be needed as much as they have been but Folston’s injury andGreg Bryant’s academic issues that prompted his transfer to ASA College of Miami have thrust both into more prominent roles than previously expected. Denson and Notre Dame went from having two junior tailbacks with plenty of experience at the top of the depth chart to having a converted wide receiver and two true freshmen. Even with the setbacks, however, the Notre Dame running game is performing better than it has at any time in the Brian Kelly era.

Denson’s impact has been felt on the recruiting trail as well. Following Alford’s departure for OhioState, Denson was integral in securing the signature of Williams on National Signing Day. Denson is credited with the commitments of both running backTony Jonesand safety Spencer Perry.

It’s still very early in his Notre Dame coaching career, but the early returns on Denson as Notre Dame’s running backs coach are all very positive and the future of the Irish backfield looks as bright as it did back in the fall of 1995.

can't agree with that.

Reactions: IRISH_FRIAR
Why? Does he just sit in a room and watch tape? Does he coach how to do special teams? Is he in the "cone of silence"?

I'm guessing the rules on recruiting are just one of the many aspects of college football that go completely over your rad

Don't worry, we've all known you're a total idiot for a while

We won't go too hard on you for this of moronic post

"Jimmy Johnson and Tony Dungy have coached thousands of players and it has virtually nothing to do with being a competent coach. Whomever "tried" to make that point failed miserably...."

Huh? Do you think that the coaches that Autry Denson played for were unable to impart football wisdom/excellence to this legendary ND graduate? Denson studied/learned under some of the biggest most successful names in the business. I have no idea why you choose to denigrate the man. He obviously passed Kelly's interview process with flying colors and continues to thrive. Next year's ground attack is going to be very exciting to watch.

I didn't denigrate the man. I made an observation and gave an opinion. If you can't handle someone's opinion. Maybe you should stay off message boards?

I didn't denigrate the man. I made an observation and gave an opinion. If you can't handle someone's opinion. Maybe you should stay off message boards?

“Autrey Denson coached one year of HS football down at Pope John Paul II HS and went 3-7 and resigned. They were as poorly a coached and prepared team as I've ever seen.
.Now he's suddenly a big time D1A coach. Believe me it's about who you know and less about what you know.”

You denigrated Denson here and implied that the only reason is at ND is who he knew. You also misspelled his name.

“There's nothing Autry Denson did in HS that deserved his elevation to the college ranks. Other than the fact he was a former ND star and former NFL player.

There was nothing Autry Denson did as a HS coach, to distinguish himself as a potential college coach. I was there and you weren't.”

You denigrated Denson and his coaching resume' here and seem to want to avoid the fact that he spent 4 years coaching in college before arriving at ND.

“He is in the postion he's in because of what he did as a player, and because he's perceived as a guy who can recruit players in South Florida. Not because he can coach.There are 500 coaches who are more qualified to be a Running Backs coach at ND.”

You denigrated Denson here by suggesting that he is below 500 on your list.

den·i·grate
ˈdenəˌɡrāt/
verb
1. criticize unfairly; disparage.

Can he recruit? The first criteria should be a person's recruiting skills and their willingness to travel and build relationships. We are forced to carry BVG and his lack of recruiting help, need to pick it up somewhere else. Really need a closer - bad!
I don't think he is going to recruit. This guy was hired to have an extra set of eyes on special times. Great move by the staff.

I'm guessing you didn't watch many games last year and see how well the RBs performed? You really think BK is going to hire someone for a position like ADs just because he "knows people". The guy can coach, period. You're reaching big time and failing even worse. Miserable post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT