ADVERTISEMENT

I'm just as pi$$ed as anyone about this game but...

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
It took horrible officiating, bonehead coaching decisions and Pete Bercich type plays for OSU to beat ND last night. I think ND showed when they need to lean on the run they can overwhelm a top 5 team. As long as they keep their minds focused and don't pack it in, this season can still be special.

It took horrible officiating, bonehead coaching decisions and Pete Bercich type plays for OSU to beat ND last night. I think ND showed when they need to lean on the run they can overwhelm a top 5 team. As long as they keep their minds focused and don't pack it in, this season can still be special.
That has always been ND football.......
There's alof of football left

Who ever was the -1 on the defense i can imagine will be sore Monday evening

Reactions: NDinNJ
Totally agree with first sentence; but not at all sure that Ohio St is a top five team. Right now, Duke and Clemson and USC look to be challenging games, and these will dictate whether we’re a top ten team at season’s end. Penn st and Michigan will be the same for Ohio St. Loved the intensity of the game, hated the officiating and the tv announcers; and felt we made way too many mistakes to deserve a win…two forth and one failures and questionable calls, missed routine FG, missed assignment on their long TD run, missed easy interception opportunity on their last drive, too many missed tackles, and the missing player fiasco on last two plays. Next week will Tell us a lot about this team and our coaches.

When you have 10 players on the field for the last two game deciding plays, and that was after calling a timeout......... you're correct, much was learned.

Totally agree with first sentence; but not at all sure that Ohio St is a top five team. Right now, Duke and Clemson and USC look to be challenging games, and these will dictate whether we’re a top ten team at season’s end. Penn st and Michigan will be the same for Ohio St. Loved the intensity of the game, hated the officiating and the tv announcers; and felt we made way too many mistakes to deserve a win…two forth and one failures and questionable calls, missed routine FG, missed assignment on their long TD run, missed easy interception opportunity on their last drive, too many missed tackles, and the missing player fiasco on last two plays. Next week will Tell us a lot about this team and our coaches.

Don't be rational and calm, Telx1, there are guys here who will want to line you up before the firing squad.

47 yard field goals are not "routine..." in college.

Agree with everything here. Other than not making the plays late in the game to win, I think what almost scares me the most is this isn’t the same OSU team as last year. I could see them very easily going 10-2.

No the sideline did it for them. Clock Management was awful.

This is what happens when you hire someone with no experience as a HFC .

We all support Notre Dame and Coach and want him to succeed but after 18 games he's 13-5 and has lost 3 he had no biz losing.

Those are the facts.

Let’s not kid ourselves. This years version of the buckeyes is not the same caliber of team we usually see from them. I expect them to lose to mich and psu this season. If they win either or both of those games it will be mostly because of defensive play, which I believe is their strong suit.

But ND losing at home, in a tight one to this team is not acceptable. They better get their crap together or usc is going to come into our house and hang 40 on them.

Reactions: TheSodFather

We all support Notre Dame and Coach and want him to succeed but after 18 games he's 13-5 and has lost 3 he had no biz losing.

Those are the facts.
4 he had no biz losing

Those are the facts.
SAD BUT TRUE !

Last night’s team didn’t beat themselves !
I agree . They played their hearts out . Mitchell Evans was nothing short of incredible and Baptiste was great. The OL dominated them in 2nd half. Whipped their freaking azzes.. And then OC decides to get cute in last 2 mins when all that had to be done is run the freaking ball down their throats and burn the clock. That was all .. Defense played outstanding for 58.5 minutes. Till Al Golden decided to go on vacation for the final 1 and half minutes of the game. The players earned that win and had a hard earned big victory snatched from them by their own coaches. They deserved a helluva a lot better. It must be a form of spiritual purgation to be a die hard ND football fan. Excruciating!

I agree with the general sentiment of the op

Ohio State might be the best team in the country and after watching that game I'm not convinced that they were the better team

The clock management mistakes can be fixed those are easy fixes

bad officiating calls usually even themselves out over the course of the season

One possession games or bad breaks in clutch situations also tend to even themselves out over the course of the season

Theres still a lot to play for and losing in a heartbreaker at the very last seconds versus what might be a national championship type team is definitely not the end of the world

We would all be singing a much different tune today had the fortune in that game versus OSU went our way in a play or two

These are all great signs for Notre Dame's remaining seven games of the season

Last edited:
The lion’s share of the blame, especially at crunch time, is on the coaches, not the players !
There is 60 minutes in a game. Not just the last 3 that count.

Coaches and players are both responsible. We had 2 chances at ints and one that would have ended the game. Just make the play. We had several guys in position and we missed too many tackles. Just make a play. We couldn't get any pressure on the QB. Players gotta make plays.

No one gets a pass. It's on both. Coaches on offense didnt make the grade. Defensive plan was masterful until the last 136 in the game

Gotta coach better. Gotta play better. No one gets a pass

Both. No one gets a pass
In every game players make mistakes physical and mental no matter how well overall a team plays. Ie Browns drop of an interception / the whiff on the 61 yrd td run. Sh.t happens in every game. And it happens to both teams generally in every game. Coaches responsibility is to put their players in the best possible position to make plays and win the game. To say everybody is to blame for last night is way of deflecting. Since everybody [ players/ Coaches] is to blame then therefore no one is responsible. The ND players played the guttiest game I can remember in 30 yrs last night. Holding Ohio St. to 10 pts for 59 minutes and 55 secs. Epic!!!
The players played more than well enough for ND to win. The game was at hand with ND in drivers seat with less than 2 minutes left . All the ND Coaches had to do was execute rational play calling and the game was over with the ND win in the bag. Instead the Coaches committed coaching malpractice and ND lost. That's my opinion

The lion’s share of the blame, especially at crunch time, is on the coaches, not the players !
The game was at hand with less than 2 minutes left with ND in control. The coaching staff fumbled the execution at end of game. Turning an epic win into an agonizing loss

In every game players make mistakes physical and mental no matter how well overall a team plays. Ie Browns drop of an interception / the whiff on the 61 yrd td run. Sh.t happens in every game. And it happens to both teams generally in every game. Coaches responsibility is to put their players in the best possible position to make plays and win the game. To say everybody is to blame for last night is way of deflecting. Since everybody [ players/ Coaches] is to blame then therefore no one is responsible. The ND players played the guttiest game I can remember in 30 yrs last night. Holding Ohio St. to 10 pts for 59 minutes and 55 secs. Epic!!!
The players played more than well enough for ND to win. The game was at hand with ND in drivers seat with less than 2 minutes left . All the ND Coaches had to do was execute rational play calling and the game was over with the ND win in the bag. Instead the Coaches committed coaching malpractice and ND lost. That's my opinion
Of everyone is to blame than everyone is responsible. Players and coaches. Catch the interception. Simple.

We stopped them on the first play. So the game came down to 1 play. Coaching decision was inexcusable and atrocious there. No pass

But if we have 11 on the field, no guarantee we stop them.

No passes given.

There’s not any team that’s clearly better than we are. It’s been a long time since we can say that. The few schools that have possibly have clearly better talent do not have the generational QBs of the last and if anything, other than USC and Washington, WE have the better QB (for college at least).

We need OSU to be utterly dominant now, and then we need to dominate the rest of our schedule. This team can actually win two games in a CFB format vs. OSU/Georgia/USC/Oregon/Washington/Michigan/FSU/etc. We just need the chance again.

As much as I like the team and where it’s headed and being in the unique situation we find ourselves in, i.e., no dominant teams with generational QBs), those last two minutes were egregiously bad. If that were Kelly (and Rees) at the helm, there‘d be an absolute riot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DublinND
As much as I’d like the team, and where it’s headed in the unique situation we find ourselves in, i.e., no dominant teams with generational QBs), those last two minutes were egregiously bad. If that were Kelly at the helm, there‘d be an absolute riot.
How about imagining this place if Tommy Rees called those two fourth and short calls early in the game, or the last offensive series to put the game away when Audric Estime went to the bench on first down, and the resulting play was a 6 yard loss on first down?

Golson would have started three or four threads by now.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Of everyone is to blame than everyone is responsible. Players and coaches. Catch the interception. Simple.

We stopped them on the first play. So the game came down to 1 play. Coaching decision was inexcusable and atrocious there. No pass

No passes given.
Wrong...execution is never perfect. The players put the coaching staff in position not to f.ck it up and the coaches f.cked it up. The game was essentially all but over with less than 2 minutes left. All the offense had to do was run it 3 x and punt. No OSU time outs. And on D play 11 and not 10. The players outplayed OSU and deserved the W but the coaches did not meet the players standards of performance last night. And it cost ND a huge win

How about imagining this place if Tommy Rees called those two fourth and short calls early in the game, or the last offensive series to put the game away when Audric Estime went to the bench on first down, and the resulting play was a 6 yard loss on first down?

Well…I want to stay positive, but there’s no arguing about this. None really. It was…strange,

No passes given.
It’s always a balance of coaches and players, but I don’t think you’d say this if this were Rees and Kelly out there.

I agree . They played their hearts out . Mitchell Evans was nothing short of incredible and Baptiste was great. The OL dominated them in 2nd half. Whipped their freaking azzes.. And then OC decides to get cute in last 2 mins when all that had to be done is run the freaking ball down their throats and burn the clock. That was all .. Defense played outstanding for 58.5 minutes. Till Al Golden decided to go on vacation for the final 1 and half minutes of the game. The players earned that win and had a hard earned big victory snatched from them by their own coaches. They deserved a helluva a lot better. It must be a form of spiritual purgation to be a die hard ND football fan. Excruciating!
I agree the coaching was pour in the last 4 minutes, but to be fair DJ Brown was in perfect coverage for an easy game ending pick. Coaches gotta coach, but in the end players have to make plays. It's not like he's a freshman; rather a 6th year player

Parker reminded me of Tommy Rees last night, unfortunately

I thought that stench was gone but nope

Disagree as I think OSU finally having a defense under that 2nd year DC - can't think of his name - is the difference maker. In past big games they collapsed. Keep in mind, they had Their QB looked really composed for bieng in a very hostile environment for the 1st time and their somewhat green OL did a decent job although it's still developing.

Would not be surprised to see both teams there in the end come Playoff time. I actually think that ND can take down USC who basically has a zero defense. As painful as the outcome was last night, that was a heck of a game.

👍

I agree the coaching was pour in the last 4 minutes, but to be fair DJ Brown was in perfect coverage for an easy game ending pick. Coaches gotta coach, but in the end players have to make plays. It's not like he's a freshman; rather a 6th year player
After looking at the replay a dozen times, he probably should have made the pick

On another play at 1:01, if 20 for ND was the receiver and not the defender, the OSU player would have been called for PI.
That was definitely Offensive PI and it would have changed the outcome

Well…I want to stay positive, but there’s no arguing about this. None really. It was…strange,

It probably had more to do with the playcall than situation. I’m not sure Estime was ever out there when ND had two backs in the shotgun. Estime also just had a carry.

That play was a near miss. They had the play pretty well blocked up. Maybe they weren’t expecting the DE to crash the QB there. Hartman played it safe to avoid a turnover. I’m not sure if it was the right decision.

If you would argue that we should keep our beast out there, that’s a fair argument, but the play was almost a success too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT